Former Soviet Union president Mikhail Gorbachev dies aged 91

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Former Soviet Union president Mikhail Gorbachev dies aged 91

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Former Soviet Union president Mikhail Gorbachev dies aged 91.
The former president of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev has died, according to Russian news agencies.

The Tass, RIA Novosti and Interfax news agencies cited the Central Clinical Hospital.

Gorbachev’s office said earlier that he was undergoing treatment at the hospital.

More follows...
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Re: Former Soviet Union president Mikhail Gorbachev dies aged 91

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I honestly had no idea the man was still alive. Not sure why, but I was under the impression he'd died years ago.

Still, whatever else might be said about him, at least he didn't try to cling to power as the USSR dissolved.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

One of only two leaders Russia has had post-Alexander II (the other being Kerensky) who was neither indisputably incompetent nor indisputably a tyrant. He may have failed to end the Cold War, but he at least deserves a significant chunk of the credit for its longest period of detente.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It's being reported that Putin did not go to the funeral.

Rumors abound.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-09-03 09:20am It's being reported that Putin did not go to the funeral.

Rumors abound.
There is no reason to believe that Putin had anything to do with Mr. Gorbachev's death. His health has been naturally deterioriting for quite some time. He had diabetes, spinal surgery, a pacemaker, developed kidney problems a few months ago, and had been under the constant supervision of doctors since the beginning of 2020.

Also (from Wikipedia)
Russian President Vladimir Putin said an official goodbye to Gorbachev on 1 September 2022 during a visit to the Central Clinical Hospital, where he honored the memory of Gorbachev by laying flowers at his coffin. Russian press secretary Dmitry Peskov said that the "tight schedule of the president" will not allow him to say goodbye on the day of the funeral, with Putin scheduled to visit Kaliningrad.
More like Putin decided he had other things to do, and did the bare minimum.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-09-03 09:36am
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-09-03 09:20am It's being reported that Putin did not go to the funeral.

Rumors abound.
There is no reason to believe that Putin had anything to do with Mr. Gorbachev's death. His health has been naturally deterioriting for quite some time. He had diabetes, spinal surgery, a pacemaker, developed kidney problems a few months ago, and had been under the constant supervision of doctors since the beginning of 2020.

Also (from Wikipedia)
Russian President Vladimir Putin said an official goodbye to Gorbachev on 1 September 2022 during a visit to the Central Clinical Hospital, where he honored the memory of Gorbachev by laying flowers at his coffin. Russian press secretary Dmitry Peskov said that the "tight schedule of the president" will not allow him to say goodbye on the day of the funeral, with Putin scheduled to visit Kaliningrad.
More like Putin decided he had other things to do, and did the bare minimum.
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. The rumors were about WHY Putin didn't show to the funeral.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Oh, I'm sure that there are rumors both ways. I figure'd - cover them both.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.