Mass shootings in Chicago and Copenhagen

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Mass shootings in Chicago and Copenhagen

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Chicago: At least six dead in shooting at suburban Fourth of July parade.
At least six people died and 24 were wounded after a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in a Chicago suburb, police said.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the parade in Highland Park began around 10am, but it was suddenly halted 10 minutes later after shots were fired.

"Law enforcement agencies are searching for the suspect; evidence of a firearm has been recovered," the city of Highland Park reported on its website.

"Numerous law enforcement officers are responding and have secured a perimeter around downtown Highland Park."

Gina Troiani and her son were lined up with his daycare class ready to walk onto the parade route when she heard a loud sound that she believed was fireworks - until she heard people shout about a shooter.
“We just start running in the opposite direction,” Ms Troiani, whose 5-year-old son was riding his bike decorated with red and blue curled ribbons in a group with other children, told The Associated Press.

"It was just sort of chaos."

“There were people that got separated from their families, looking for them. Others just dropped their wagons, grabbed their kids and started running.”

Debbie Glickman, a Highland Park resident, said she was on a parade float with colleagues, and the group was preparing to turn onto the main route when she saw people running from the area.
“People started saying: ‘There’s a shooter, there’s a shooter, there’s a shooter,’” Ms Glickman told the Associated Press. “So we just ran. We just ran. It’s like mass chaos down there.”

Illinois Governor. J.B. Pritzker said that he is “closely monitoring the situation in Highland Park” and that Illinois State Police are assisting.

Monday's attack is just the latest in a series of recent mass shootings to hit the US, including high-profile massacres at a primary school in Uvalde, Texas, and a grocery store in Buffalo, New York, in May.

They reignited the fierce debate over gun ownership and rights in America.
Man, 22, charged with murder after three shot dead at Copenhagen shopping centre.
A 22-year-old man suspected of killing three people at a shopping centre in the Danish capital Copenhagen has been charged with murder.

Two Danish teenagers - a 17-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl, and a 47-year-old Russian man were killed when the gunman opened fire on Sunday afternoon in the Field’s shopping mall - one of Scandinavia’s biggest.

Four other people - two Danish and two Swedish citizens - were treated for gunshot wounds and were in critical but stable conditions, Police Inspector Søren Thomassen, head of the Copenhagen police operations unit said.

Several other people received minor injuries as they fled the shopping centre.

Denmark's police said on Monday they are not currently naming the casualties or the suspect.

However, investigators have revealed the man appears to have selected his victims at random. Officials also said they do not believe the attack was terror-related.

The motive for the attack in unclear but Insp Thomassen confirmed the suspect was known to mental health services but provided no further information.

The suspect, who is in custody, was detained near the Fields mall. Inspectors believe he acted alone.

Insp Thomassen said the suspect was an “ethnic Dane,” a phrase typically used to mean someone is white. He will appear in court on Monday on preliminary charges of murder.

He said police received the first reports of a shooting at 5.37pm and arrested the suspect 11 minutes later.

Such shootings are rare in Denmark.

Danish broadcaster TV2 published a grainy photo of the alleged gunman, a man wearing knee-length shorts and a tank top and holding what appeared to be a rifle in his right hand.

When the shots rang out, some people hid in shops while others fled in a panicked stampede, according to witnesses.

Images from the scene showed people running out of the mall, and TV2 posted a photo of a man being put on a stretcher. Witnesses said people were crying and hid in shops.

Eyewitness, Mahdi Al-Wazni, told TV2: “He seemed very violent and angry.

“He spoke to me and said it [the rifle] isn’t real as I was filming him. He seemed very proud of what he was doing.”

Hans Christian Stoltz, 53, was taking his daughters to see Harry Styles perform at a concert on Sunday night near the shopping centre when the gunman launched the attack.

"My oldest daughter, who's 18, she’s barely holding it together," he said.

"My other daughter - she got in the stampede that started when the perpetrator was firing shots everywhere. She got cut in several places from people and falling over chairs.

“It is pure terror. This is awful," he added. "You might wonder how a person can do this to another human being, but it’s beyond… beyond anything that’s possible.”

Witness Chassandra Stoltz said: "Everyone came running and we thought oh maybe they have seen Harry Style because he's in town."

When she saw a man stumble and fall while fleeing with his child in a pram, they realised it was something more serious.

"When people started running and we saw the panic, we thought it's not a joke anymore," she said.

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said the Scandinavian country had been hit by a “cruel attack.”

“It is incomprehensible. Heartbreaking. Pointless,” she said. “Our beautiful and usually so safe capital was changed in a split second.”

After the shooting, an enormous contingent of heavily-armed police officers patrolled the area, with several fire department vehicles also parked outside the centre.

Laurits Hermansen, who was in a clothes shop with his family when the shooting began told Danish broadcaster DR that he heard “three-four bangs. Really loud bangs. It sounded like the shots were being fired just next to the store.”

The Harry Styles concert at the nearby Royal Arena was cancelled in the wake of the shootings.

The concert was due to begin at 8pm local time (7pm UK time) and large crowds had already gathered inside the arena when the show's cancellation was announced and they were asked to leave.

Styles said in a post on social media: "I’m heartbroken along with the people of Copenhagen. I adore this city. The people are so warm and full of love.
"I’m devastated for the victims, their families, and everyone hurting.
"I’m sorry we couldn’t be together. Please look after each other. H".

In a statement, concert organiser Live Nation said the gig had been cancelled at the "direction of the Danish Police".

It continued: "We are all truly devastated by the events of today and our thoughts are with the victims and their families.

"We are looking into future possibilities for the show, and hope to be able to give ticket buyers direct information as soon as possible."

Shortly after the shooting, the royal palace said a reception with Crown Prince Frederik connected to the Tour de France cycling race had been cancelled.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Mass shootings in Chicago and Copenhagen

Post by Tribble »

At this rate they may need to increase the number of victims needed to qualify for mass shooting status in the US cause it happens so frequently now that one can lose track of them all. :(
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Tribble wrote: 2022-07-04 10:21pm At this rate they may need to increase the number of victims needed to qualify for mass shooting status in the US cause it happens so frequently now that one can lose track of them all. :(
6 dead is like an average long weekend in Chicago or Baltimore, probably need to up the threshold to an even dozen or so.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You can now add "...and Philadelphia" to the title.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

They got him.
The gunman who targeted a Fourth of July parade in a Chicago suburb “planned his attack for several weeks”, police say.

More than 70 rounds were fired from a "high-powered rifle" during the attack which killed six people and injured over 30.

The suspected shooter, Robert E Crimo III, fled the scene in women's clothing and managed to escape by blending into the crowd. He was arrested by police after a manhunt which lasted several hours.

Crimo "pre-planned the attack" weeks in advance, and the firearm used was purchased legally in Illinois, Lake County Major Crime Task Force spokesman Christopher Covelli told reporters on Tuesday.

The 21-year-old was "dressed in women's clothing" in what investigators believe was in an attempt to conceal his identity as he escaped alongside others who were fleeing the chaos.

Crimo remains in custody, and investigators said there is no indication there was anybody else involved in the attack. Authorities have not filed criminal charges.

Covelli said: "Based on where we're at at this point in the investigation, some of this is preliminary so it is subject to change as we keep moving forward, we do believe Crimo pre-planned this attack for several weeks.

"He brought a high-powered rifle to this parade, he accessed the roof of a business via a fire escape ladder, and began opening fire on innocent Independence Day celebration goers."

Crimo went to his mother's house after the attack, and borrowed her vehicle. An alert was issued, and police caught the car after a member of the public called 911.

A second rifle was found inside the vehicle.

Investigators who have interrogated the suspect and reviewed his social media posts have not determined a motive for the attack, Covelli said.

Nicolas Toledo, a grandfather in his 70s, was the first victim to be named locally by his family on Monday.

"My grandfather Nicolas Toledo father of eight and grandfather to many left us this morning July 4th, what was suppose to be a fun family day turned into a horrific nightmare for us all," said his granddaughter Xochil Toledo on a GoFundMe page.

"As a family we are broken, and numb," she added.

Jacki Sundheim, a teacher at a Highland Park synagogue, was also killed, confirmed North Shore Congregation Israel in an email to congregants.

"There are no words sufficient to express the depth of our grief for Jacki's death and sympathy for her family and loved ones," the synagogue said.

“Jacki was a lifelong congregant of NSCI and a cherished member of NSCI’s staff team for decades. Jacki’s work, kindness and warmth touched us all," it added.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Broomstick wrote: 2022-07-05 03:30am You can now add "...and Philadelphia" to the title.
(CNN)Two police officers were shot during a July Fourth celebration in Philadelphia, authorities said.

A 36-year-old Philadelphia Highway Patrol officer suffered a graze wound to the forehead, and a 44-year-old Montgomery County Sheriff's deputy suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder, according to Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw.
Both officers were providing security at a July Fourth concert on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway when shots were fired around 9:47 p.m., just before the fireworks went off, Outlaw said.
Neither officer heard the gunshots before they were hit, she added.
"We don't know if this was ricochet from celebratory gunfire, we don't know if this was intentional," Outlaw said. "We're just extremely grateful this wasn't worse than it was."
The officers were taken to Jefferson University Hospital, treated and discharged, Outlaw said.
In a Tuesday news release, Philadelphia police identified the officer shot as Sergio Diggs, a 13-year veteran of the department. In a separate post, the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office identified the injured deputy as John Foster.
Foster is a 17-year veteran of the sheriff's office and has been a member of the department's bomb squad for three years, according to the Facebook post.
"Many of our deputies provide security and specialized aid to neighboring areas for large events," the sheriff's office added. "While we are thankful that Deputy Foster and the injured Philadelphia officer are ok, we are troubled by the violence that turned what should have been a celebration into a near tragedy."
And yes, the irony of their police commissioner being named "Outlaw" isn't lost on me.