At least 10 people shot at New York subway station as police search for suspect

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

At least 10 people shot at New York subway station as police search for suspect

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

At least 10 people shot at New York subway station as police search for suspect.
At least 10 people were shot and eight others injured on Tuesday at a New York city subway station during a morning rush hour attack, that left commuters injured on the train platform and police searching for the suspect.

Crews responded to reports of smoke at the 36th Street station in Sunset Park at around 8.30am (1.30pm BST) and found multiple people shot, a New York City Fire Department spokesperson said.

Fire and police officials were investigating reports that there had been an explosion, but the police department tweeted that there were “no active explosive devices at this time.”

There were no life-threatening injuries and the attack was not being investigated as terrorism. Officials said at least 16 in all were injured.

Multiple smoke devices were found on the scene, said mayoral spokesperson Fabien Levy, who confirmed the initial shooting injury count.

Sources said preliminary information indicated the suspect was wearing a construction vest and a gas mask.

Photos from the scene showed people tending to bloodied passengers lying on the floor of the station and the air filled with smoke.

“My subway door opened into calamity. It was smoke and blood and people screaming,” eyewitness Sam Carcamo told radio station 1010 WINS, saying he saw a huge billow of smoke pouring out of the train once the door opened.

A bystander video showed people lying on the subway platform amid what appeared to be small puddles of blood, as a loudspeaker announcement told everyone on the smoke-hazy platform to get on a train.

Inside a subway car, a person lay on the floor, encircled by others. Outside the station, a police officer yelled, “Let’s go! Get out of the way!”

Trains did not stop at the station and people were asked to avoid the area of 36th Street and 4th Avenue in Brooklyn.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams’ office did not immediately have more details. Mr Adams was at the mayor’s residence on Tuesday morning and was being briefed.

Local schools, including Sunset Park High School across the street, were locked down.

Danny Mastrogiorgio of Brooklyn had just dropped his son off at school when he saw a crush of passengers, included multiple wounded, running up the subway stairway at the 25th Street station in panic. At least two had visible leg injuries, he said.

“It was insane,” he said. “No one knew exactly what was going on.”

Allan Lee was running his business, Cafe Nube, when a half-dozen police cars and fire vehicles suddenly arrived.

“Then they started ushering people that were on the block to the adjacent block and then closed off the subway entrance” near the cafe’s door, he said. When he noticed bomb squad officers and dogs, he was certain it was no everyday subway problem.

The shootings come as New York City has faced a spate a shootings and high-profile incidents in recent months, including on the city’s subways.

One of the most shocking was in January when a woman was pushed to her death in front of a train by a stranger.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: At least 10 people shot at New York subway station as police search for suspect

Post by Zaune »

I should have a stronger immediate reaction to this than, "Oh, no, not again"...

Wonder which strain of wingnut it'll be this time: Nazi, incel or ex-employee with a grudge?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: At least 10 people shot at New York subway station as police search for suspect

Post by Lord Revan »

Zaune wrote: 2022-04-12 05:58pm I should have a stronger immediate reaction to this than, "Oh, no, not again"...

Wonder which strain of wingnut it'll be this time: Nazi, incel or ex-employee with a grudge?
You forgot "all of above"
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Apparently our bad boy left behind at the scene of the crime 1) his vehicle keys 2) a credit card with his name on it 3) lots of evidence like a gun, ammo, fireworks, smoke bombs, etc.

Not sure about motives, planning, mental state, etc. but I hope all that will help them find the perpetrator.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-04-13 06:44am Apparently our bad boy left behind at the scene of the crime 1) his vehicle keys 2) a credit card with his name on it 3) lots of evidence like a gun, ammo, fireworks, smoke bombs, etc.

Not sure about motives, planning, mental state, etc. but I hope all that will help them find the perpetrator.
It's not a laughing matter obviously but that did remind me of Mitchell and Webb's identity killer sketch

But yes, seems like it should help a lot thankfully.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

or a frame up
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Police release details of man sought after New York subway shooting.
Police have named a person of interest in their investigation after at least 10 people were shot in a morning rush hour attack at a New York City subway station on Tuesday.

The hunt for the suspect went on late into the night and focussed partly on a man named Frank R James, who police say rented a van possibly connected to the shooting.

Police stressed they weren't sure whether James was responsible for the shooting, but authorities were examining social media videos in which the 62-year-old claimed the United States was a racist place awash in violence and sometimes railed against the city’s mayor, Eric Adams.

“This nation was born in violence, it’s kept alive by violence or the threat thereof and it’s going to die a violent death. There’s nothing going to stop that", James said in one video.

Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell called the posts “concerning” and officials tightened Mayor Adams' security detail.

Shortly before 8.30am local time, a gunman opened fire on a subway train as it neared the station in Brooklyn’s Sunset Park.

The shooter set off smoke grenades inside the crowded carriage, and fired at least 33 times with a 9mm handgun, police said.

Five gunshot victims were in critical conditions but expected to survive, while at least a dozen people who escaped gunshot wounds were treated for smoke inhalation and other injuries.

Photos from the scene showed people tending to bloodied passengers lying on the floor of the station and the air filled with smoke.

One passenger, Jordan Javier, thought the first popping sound he heard was a book dropping. Then there was another pop, people started moving toward the front of the carriage, and he realised there was smoke, he said.

When the train pulled into the station, people ran out and were directed to another train across the platform. Passengers wept and prayed as they rode away from the scene, Mr Javier said.

“I’m just grateful to be alive", he added.

The shooter fled in the chaos, leaving behind the gun, extended magazines, a hatchet, detonated and undetonated smoke grenades, a black bin, a rolling cart, gasoline and the key to a U-Haul van.

That key led investigators to James, who has addresses in Philadelphia and Wisconsin, said Chief of Detectives James Essig. The van was later found unoccupied near a subway station where investigators determined the gunman had entered the train system, Mr Essig said.

Rambling, profanity-filled YouTube videos apparently posted by James, are filed with violent language and bigoted comments, some against other Black people.

One video, posted on April 11, criticises crime against Black people and says drastic action is needed.

“You got kids going in here now taking machine guns and mowing down innocent people,” James said.

“It’s not going to get better until we make it better,” he said, adding that he thought things would only change if certain people were “stomped, kicked and tortured” out of their “comfort zone".

Several of the videos mention New York’s subways - one says the mayor and city governor’s plan to address homelessness and safety in the subway system “is doomed for failure” and refers to himself as a “victim” of the city’s mental health programs. Another, posted in January, criticises Mr Adams’ plan to end gun violence.

Mayor Adams, who is isolating after a positive Covid test, said in a video statement that the city “will not allow New Yorkers to be terrorised, even by a single individual".

The United States is currently facing a wave of gun violence, with New York itself seeing a spate of shootings in recent months.

"We say no more. No more mass shootings. No more disrupting lives", New York Governor Kathy Hochul said yesterday.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

They got him:
Suspected New York gunman arrested and charged a day after ten shot in subway.
The suspect wanted in the shooting of ten people on a subway in New York has been arrested and charged with a federal terrorism offence.

Frank R. James, 62, was taken into custody about 30 hours after the carnage on a rush-hour train, which left five victims in critical condition.

Following a city-wide manhunt, a tipster’s call led police to him on a Manhattan street.

Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Breon Peace said he was awaiting arraignment on a charge that relates to terrorist or other violent attacks against mass transit systems and carries a sentence of up to life in prison.

“My fellow New Yorkers, we got him," Mayor Eric Adams said on Wednesday.

In recent months, James, who is from New York but has lived recently in Philadelphia and Milwaukee, talked about his experiences with mental health care in New York City in online videos.

He had also criticised Mr Adams' policies on mental health and subway safety, though the motive for the station attack remains unclear.

There is no indication that James had ties to terror groups, Mr Peace added.

Police had said on Tuesday that James was being sought for questioning because he had rented a van possibly connected to the attack, but weren't sure if he was responsible for the shooting.

Mr Adams said in a series of media interviews on Wednesday morning that investigators had upgraded James to a suspect, adding “new information that became available to the team.”

The suspected gunman set off smoke grenades in a crowded subway car and then fired at least 33 shots with a 9mm handgun, police said.

Five gunshot victims were in critical condition but all ten wounded in the shooting were expected to survive.

At least a dozen others who escaped gunshot wounds were treated for smoke inhalation and other injuries.

The alleged shooter escaped in the chaos, but left behind numerous clues, including the gun, ammunition magazines, a hatchet, smoke grenades, petrol and the key to a van.