Flooded Austrailia (March 2022)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Flooded Austrailia (March 2022)

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

loomer wrote: 2022-03-01 12:49am Survived flood lost everything no battery

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Tho ... 966805.php
“Back in the U.K., we do weather warnings for 20 millimeters (1 inch) of rain,” Threlfall said. “My weather gauge here has recorded 950 millimeters (37 inches) in three days. Brisbane’s average is about 1,200 millimeters (47 inches) for the year, so we’ve pretty much had 80% of annual rainfall in three days.

“No real escaping the water, I guess.”

The extraordinary rainfall comes as the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reported this week that vast swathes of Australia have already lost 20% of its rainfall and the country’s fire risk has gone beyond worst-case scenarios developed just a few years ago.

Australia’s hottest and driest year on record was 2019 which ended with devastating wildfires across southeast Australia. The fires directly killed 33 people and another 400 people were killed by the smoke.

The fires also destroyed more than 3,000 homes and razed 19 million hectares (47 million acres) of farmland and forests.

But two La Nina weather patterns have since brought above-average rainfall to the same regions.

Lesley Hughes, an Australian academic and former lead author of the U.N. IPCC assessment reports in 2007 and 2015, said climate change was expected to overwhelm government systems such as flood responses.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Flooded Austrailia (March 2022)

Post by Broomstick »

Now I'm worried about loomer.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-03-01 03:29pm Now I'm worried about loomer.
Seconded. :(
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Holy Shit!

I hope we hear from Loomer soon
At least he was able to say he survived the flood :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

So, powers still out here but the community is finding alternatives. Much of the town was completely submerged, and my house had eight feet of water. I got out with my family and pets, the clothes on my back, and my laptop, though I had to go back in for the dog after she spooked and ran back in despite chest high water. It came extraordinarily fast and hard by the local norm and many, many people had to be rescued by volunteer boaties, kayakers, and canoeists. We were already in the grip of a housing shortage and this is going to get vastly worse as a result. However, I am basically safe and while not alright exactly, in a much better situation than half the town.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Our towns are starting to run dangerously low on water. The impact of this on public health and the cleanup is going to be enormous. Many of us will soon be unable to bathe even after working in excrement and filth to clear houses. Hosing our the mud and sewage is now not an option. The sewers are backing up and dead animals are all over the place.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Holy fuck. Good luck, loomer.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Everything Australia does has to be over the top. Best of wishes, loomer.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Hoping some sort of aid gets to you soon loomer.

It's looking all sorts of fucked in Bundjalung country.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

On the less personal note, the Koori Mail offices are wiped right out. Sikh volunteers are now here along with the big crew of Samoans and Fijians, and a big mob of surfers from the coast. Things slowly improving but much of town still without power, death toll still rising, and water still limited. Our state MP is pressuring for army tents to house us displaced types and did a small heroism of her own during the flood. She passed up rescue and swam to safety from near where I was, sending the rescuers to go and help a trapped 94-year old instead. Of course, the rescuer was in an inflatable kayak and isn’t a kayaker, so perhaps that was just prudence.
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

loomer wrote: 2022-03-02 06:18am Our towns are starting to run dangerously low on water. The impact of this on public health and the cleanup is going to be enormous. Many of us will soon be unable to bathe even after working in excrement and filth to clear houses. Hosing our the mud and sewage is now not an option. The sewers are backing up and dead animals are all over the place.

Without being a dick about it, if the sewers are backed up hosing out would come back to bite you. It's the difference between a meter long clog in a pipe and a 400m long pipe clogged solid.

Hopefully you've got local utilities guys to lead on this, but if not I'd be focusing on shovel and scraping muck into heaps to be trucked out. Keep a tarp rolled on a pole by the heap incase you need to cover it in followup rain storm.

Be REALLY fucking careful about enclosed spaces.

Anaerobic rot gives off H2S which firstly dulls your sense of smell and then knocks you unconscious and then kills you. A few farmers drown in shit tanks every year, don't loose people in enclosed houses when they stir through the mud.
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

A brief article discussing the complexity of the Brisbane basin and why these floods are more like 1974 then 2011: https://theconversation.com/why-water-i ... ext-178163
As the floodwaters rose in Southeast Queensland last week, my phone buzzed with texts from friends. We compared this event with the last catastrophic flood of 2011 and tried to calculate whether our homes would be affected this time. I live in Ipswich, not far from the now-flooded Bremer River.

I’m also an expert in the history of natural disasters, including flooding in Brisbane. I watched with interest as social media struggled to keep up with continuous updates on flood levels and photos of rapidly rising water. News reports also made constant references to the 2011 Brisbane floods.

This time, the floodwaters stopped at 3.85 metres at the Brisbane gauge in the central business district – less than the 4.46m peak in 2011. Many homes flooded this year that didn’t flood in 2011 – notably in the northern suburbs of Ashgrove, Windsor and The Gap. Meanwhile, homes in the western suburb of Bellbowrie flooded in 2011 but escaped this time. But why?

As hydrologists will tell you, no two floods are the same. The water may follow familiar paths, but natural and human factors alter flood behaviour each time.

How the rain falls
Rainfall intensity is a key factor in determining the extent of “runoff” – water that flows over the ground rather than soaking in. Heavy rain falling in one hour has a much greater runoff ratio than if the same amount falls over a week.

For example, in January 1974, 872mm of rain fell in Brisbane – including 314mm on one day, January 26. A flood reached 5.45m at the Brisbane gauge.

Last month’s rain was similarly unrelenting, when 611.6mm fell between February 25 and 27. For perspective, Brisbane’s annual rainfall is 1,149mm. That intensity and volume of rain in one weekend meant flooding was inevitable but very hard to predict.

Where the rain falls also matters. In 2011, heavy rain fell upstream of Wivenhoe Dam. But in 2022 vast quantities fell downstream of the dam, including on the Bremer River and Lockyer Creek, where there are few flood-mitigation structures to manage the extra water.

The adequacy of stormwater infrastructure, such as gutters, drains and pipes that carry water away, also influences the extent of flooding.

Across Southeast Queensland, many local stormwater systems could not cope with the heavy rain, causing overland flow that flooded houses. The problem was particularly acute in some suburbs that received about a metre of rain over three days.

What’s happening in the river catchment?
People have compared this year’s Brisbane floods with 2011, but they are in fact more similar to the 1974 floods.

The Brisbane River catchment is a complex network. It comprises three rivers – the Stanley, Brisbane and Bremer – and many creeks, the largest of which is Lockyer Creek. Heavy rain can cause any, or all, of these rivers and creeks to flood.

In 2011, rivers were the biggest cause of the floods. But this year, while Ipswich and Brisbane experienced river flooding, suburban creeks caused the most extreme flooding, just as they did in 1974. This was because rain fell heavily throughout the entire catchment, filling even the smallest watercourses.

For example, Ithaca Creek last month flooded the suburb of Ashgrove for the first time since 1974. Kedron Brook flooded Windsor and The Grange, which were left dry in 2011.

And rain filled the Enoggera Reservoir to more than double its capacity, overfilling the Fish and Ithaca creeks and flooding the suburb of The Gap.

Humans affect floods, too
Humans can significantly influence the extent of floods. Every time a tree is felled, wetland drained or land developed, the local flood risk is potentially heightened.

Housing estates are built densely – small subdivisions occupied by large houses. And homes are constructed on slabs, rather than elevated to allow water to pass underneath.

Soil and vegetation can absorb water and slow the rate of flooding. But impermeable surfaces such as roads, footpaths and carparks increase surface runoff.

Bridges, ferry terminals and pontoons intrude on waterways, made worse by debris that becomes entangled. Buildings, railway embankments and roads can block waterways, effectively creating dams.

Learning from history
History can help us measure the likelihood of flooding and prompt us to prepare, but it’s not that simple. Past experience can also confuse and reduce the perception of risk.

Increasing public awareness is important in mitigating flood risks, as is individual responsibility. But planning authorities must also make hard decisions.

Developers have been allowed to increase the urban footprint and density throughout southeast Queensland. This has created more hard, impermeable surfaces and replaced absorbent green spaces, increasing the likelihood of flooding.

This comes as climate change is predicted to increase the frequency and intensity of floods, and make flood predictions more difficult.

We can’t directly control the rain, but we can change how we respond to future flood hazards.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I hope they've been able to get extra water supplies in, as well as bleach and other sanitary cleansers.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet