Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by Lord Revan »

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2022-11-03 01:10am
Ralin wrote: 2022-11-02 11:10pm I've heard people speculating from the beginning that Putin was counting on a quick victorious war, but I'm increasingly thinking it was more like a Russian version of Bush's "Our troops will be greeted as liberators."
The difference between what happened in Iraq and what happened in Ukraine is that... yeah, Bush was partially right in Iraq (a fairly good sized portion of Iraq wanted Saddam gone and worked with the US, though the later screwups made that moot), while Ukraine knew exactly what would happen if they capitulate.
I think it would be more accurate to say that portion of the population wanting the invaders to arrive was much, much smaller in Ukraine then it was in Iraq, I mean there's those 2 separtist regions in the Ukraine but from what I've heard even those are currently suffering from anti-Russian insurrections cause a large portion of people even if those regions don't want to be Russians.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by Ralin »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-11-03 10:51am
Ralin wrote: 2022-11-02 11:10pm I've heard people speculating from the beginning that Putin was counting on a quick victorious war, but I'm increasingly thinking it was more like a Russian version of Bush's "Our troops will be greeted as liberators."
The difference between what happened in Iraq and what happened in Ukraine is that... yeah, Bush was partially right in Iraq (a fairly good sized portion of Iraq wanted Saddam gone and worked with the US, though the later screwups made that moot), while Ukraine knew exactly what would happen if they capitulate.
I think it would be more accurate to say that portion of the population wanting the invaders to arrive was much, much smaller in Ukraine then it was in Iraq, I mean there's those 2 separtist regions in the Ukraine but from what I've heard even those are currently suffering from anti-Russian insurrections cause a large portion of people even if those regions don't want to be Russians.
And also the whole thing made the Ukranian government that much more firmly anti-Russian by removing a big chunk of the voters who liked Russia from the electorate.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Ralin wrote: 2022-11-03 11:36am
Lord Revan wrote: 2022-11-03 10:51am
And also the whole thing made the Ukranian government that much more firmly anti-Russian by removing a big chunk of the voters who liked Russia from the electorate.
And that portion was armed and supplied by Russian infiltrators from the beginning. The whole thing is a textbook example of Home by Christmas. From that article:
They were so certain of their quick victory that they allegedly brought along parade uniforms for a victorious march through Kyiv's main Khreshchatyk Street, with awards for the "special military operation" already pinned to them.
In summary, Russia's larger war goals are permanently lost regardless of what happens on the battlefield from now on, and what was depicted in their propaganda as a modern, unstoppable army turned out to be little more than a Paper Tiger.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah there's a lot of "didn't think this thru properly" in the Russian planning seems like the Axis (and Soviets during the Winter War) in that their whole war plan seemed to hinge on certain things being a certain highly specific way and if things didn't happen that way the whole house of cards collapses totally.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

I don't think that fully captures it, though. I doubt they anticipated this level of collapse--near as I can figure, no one did. Everyone thought the Russians really were the second best military in the world, pretty much, and the Russians probably believed it. But that obviously isn't true now and wasn't true then. Is that the result of poor planning? No, of course not. The best laid plans gone awry don't produce a disaster of THIS magnitude unless it was never really the fault of the planning.

I guess I'm saying that the Russian planning leaned on being a competent military, and it turned out they weren't. They didn't plan for things to go a specific way, knowing it was their one shot; they probably expected that they could stand up like any competent military to everything going wrong at some point. I don't really see the comparison with the Axis or the Soviets, here, I think this is a new prototype. Specifics only, mind you. This is the symptoms of autocracy, through and through, we just haven't seen it so obviously laid out for us in a while.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-11-04 12:35am I don't really see the comparison with the Axis or the Soviets, here, I think this is a new prototype. Specifics only, mind you. This is the symptoms of autocracy, through and through, we just haven't seen it so obviously laid out for us in a while.
The Soviets were autocratic too. To say nothing of the Axis. All of them displayed much more military and institutional competence than we've been seeing with Russia. So I don't think that's enough of an explanation by itself
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah this isn't so much a totally new thing as it's a more serious case of the same symptoms. During the Winter War, Finns captured condoms and silk stockings among the soviet supplies (for the victory parade) but no winter uniforms. in Finland during one the coldest winters in living memory (at the time). Since Soviet war plans were based on the idea Finland would offer essentially no resistance.

Again in Ukraine we see troops supplied based on the idea the conflict will be so quick that it's more important to have their parade uniforms with them rather then having supplies for a serious conflict.

While the level of collapse is new the flaws in the initial planning that allowed that collapse to happen are nothing new.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Ralin wrote: 2022-11-04 01:53am
KraytKing wrote: 2022-11-04 12:35am I don't really see the comparison with the Axis or the Soviets, here, I think this is a new prototype. Specifics only, mind you. This is the symptoms of autocracy, through and through, we just haven't seen it so obviously laid out for us in a while.
The Soviets were autocratic too. To say nothing of the Axis. All of them displayed much more military and institutional competence than we've been seeing with Russia. So I don't think that's enough of an explanation by itself
Right, I agree with you there. It's the bones of autocracy, but a new expression. I'm thinking it must be just a total withering of any kind of bureaucracy to the benefit of personal power. Autocracy, bereft of the government that makes it fitfully functional.

Revan, I think I misunderstood your earlier statement.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

--Mountain

KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

The dead pile up.

Casualties are of course insignificant compared to some of the big wars in history, but those comparisons don't need to be drawn. Whole battalions being chewed up and destroyed in a single day is shocking in 2022. Not so shocking to some in the world as it is to Americans, or at least me, since there doesn't seem to be mass protest in Russia yet.

But Jesus. Hundreds dead in a single day, repeatedly. Can they even see their folly? Is this the goal? Is Putin just trying to clean out political prisoners? I have to theorize conspiracies, it is difficult to imagine this could be pure incompetence. And yet, that is what the evidence suggests. And so, both Ukraine and Russia lose, and it is the common people who pay the bill. I weep for them, and I weep for the dead in Ethiopia, in Myanmar, in Turkey, Armenia, Sudan, Nigeria, those who have not captured Western imagination and sympathy. We are damned.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-11-09 12:11pm The dead pile up.

Casualties are of course insignificant compared to some of the big wars in history, but those comparisons don't need to be drawn. Whole battalions being chewed up and destroyed in a single day is shocking in 2022. Not so shocking to some in the world as it is to Americans, or at least me, since there doesn't seem to be mass protest in Russia yet.

But Jesus. Hundreds dead in a single day, repeatedly. Can they even see their folly? Is this the goal? Is Putin just trying to clean out political prisoners? I have to theorize conspiracies, it is difficult to imagine this could be pure incompetence. And yet, that is what the evidence suggests. And so, both Ukraine and Russia lose, and it is the common people who pay the bill. I weep for them, and I weep for the dead in Ethiopia, in Myanmar, in Turkey, Armenia, Sudan, Nigeria, those who have not captured Western imagination and sympathy. We are damned.
I'd seen a report that yet another Russian battalion was effectively dead, not enough alive/uninjured to be combat-viable.
How many battalions is that now?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

there's 2 things to remember first the only that gets to the Russian public is limited we see the battalions destroyed as we got free press for the most part, but in Russia if the Kremlin doesn't want you to see it, it'll be very hard for you to see it. Also there could be a level of disconnect between what's happening at front and what Putin is informed about.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-11-09 01:24pm there's 2 things to remember first the only that gets to the Russian public is limited we see the battalions destroyed as we got free press for the most part, but in Russia if the Kremlin doesn't want you to see it, it'll be very hard for you to see it. Also there could be a level of disconnect between what's happening at front and what Putin is informed about.
They've been wondering from the start how much Putin is really being told by his War Cabinet. It's getting harder to hide the losses tho.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-11-09 12:11pm But Jesus. Hundreds dead in a single day, repeatedly. Can they even see their folly?
Bold of you to think Poot-poot gives a shit about his people, or that the russian populace as a whole does.

They actually think wars are won by hordes of untrained conscripts "backed up" by barrier troops. My sympathy only goes so far as "Wow, it sucks to be a vatnik. Oh look, a new meme on r/NCD."
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-09 06:53pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2022-11-09 01:24pm there's 2 things to remember first the only that gets to the Russian public is limited we see the battalions destroyed as we got free press for the most part, but in Russia if the Kremlin doesn't want you to see it, it'll be very hard for you to see it. Also there could be a level of disconnect between what's happening at front and what Putin is informed about.
They've been wondering from the start how much Putin is really being told by his War Cabinet. It's getting harder to hide the losses tho.
true but still at this point they could say "there's been some setbacks" instead "there's been several total disasters of defeats".
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Russia's regime announced that they'll pull back from Cherson city as they can't supply their troops across the river anymore. And winter is yet to come
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

wautd wrote: 2022-11-10 02:41am Russia's regime announced that they'll pull back from Cherson city as they can't supply their troops across the river anymore. And winter is yet to come
Some disscussion on the BBC of this.

1) announcement made by generals on Russian state TV
2) such an announcement is really unusual
3) a fighting retreat is really hard to pull off, and really risky to try
4) it also reduces the margin that Crimea has from artillery
5) as such the ua is treating this with suspicion

Last summer the UA was talking up their attack on Kherson before punching the North. Seems likely to be a similar thing here
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I do not think they are actually planning to pull back, smells like a trap to me I would place odds that if they are going to deploy a nuke it is going to be a ground detonation as soon as Ukraine troops are well inside the city maybe in conjunction with blowing the dam. As for Putin, he is a KGB spook of the worst sort who bought in fully to the hype, he is every stereotype from the end of the cold war. As for how a withdrawal would go in practice, I see legions of Russian dead as their generals have managed to screw up a wet dream, and they only do worse when they try.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The UA generals are fully expecting Kherson to be mined and booby-trapped for any military force entering.
Planting a nuke there or at the dam would be suicidal for Russia, the international backlash is not worth it. Still, I can see the dam being rigged to blow once UA troops are inside the city.

madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-10 12:05pm The UA generals are fully expecting Kherson to be mined and booby-trapped for any military force entering.
Planting a nuke there or at the dam would be suicidal for Russia, the international backlash is not worth it. Still, I can see the dam being rigged to blow once UA troops are inside the city.
and if not, the talk of doing it in the last month means that UA will move cautiously, giving RA time to retreat. Although that would suggest a managed retreat has been planned as a major option for a couple of months.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-10 10:59am I do not think they are actually planning to pull back, smells like a trap to me I would place odds that if they are going to deploy a nuke it is going to be a ground detonation as soon as Ukraine troops are well inside the city maybe in conjunction with blowing the dam. As for Putin, he is a KGB spook of the worst sort who bought in fully to the hype, he is every stereotype from the end of the cold war. As for how a withdrawal would go in practice, I see legions of Russian dead as their generals have managed to screw up a wet dream, and they only do worse when they try.
From another board:
It would be crazy for the Russians to do it, this is because the 3 defence lines the Russians have set up on the east bank are actually on the lowest point down stream from the dam, if the dam were to be destroyed then their defences would be flooded and destroyed, probably killing thousands of Russian soldiers in the process.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Controlled flooding from the damn is also a possibility.

Russia pulls out, Ukraine moves back in, and... the damn is releasing water. That's no longer a threat, that's a reality.

They'd absolutely have to get the release under control, while at the same time being careful for explosives and traps.

That would be as bad a slow down for the Ukraine military as you could get without blowing the damn and risking massive international backlash.

Also, something like that, you can string up a few sacrifical lambs and claim they opened the flood gates without authorization.
Harder to do that if you prepare and then blow the damn up.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-11-10 02:21pm Controlled flooding from the damn is also a possibility.

Russia pulls out, Ukraine moves back in, and... the damn is releasing water. That's no longer a threat, that's a reality.

They'd absolutely have to get the release under control, while at the same time being careful for explosives and traps.

That would be as bad a slow down for the Ukraine military as you could get without blowing the damn and risking massive international backlash.

Also, something like that, you can string up a few sacrifical lambs and claim they opened the flood gates without authorization.
Harder to do that if you prepare and then blow the damn up.
Well, the Russians were already claiming they weren't the ones planning to blow the dam the Ukrainians were. :roll: How many False Flags have the Russians claimed UA did so far?

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-10 02:58pm Well, the Russians were already claiming they weren't the ones planning to blow the dam the Ukrainians were. :roll: How many False Flags have the Russians claimed UA did so far?
I believe it averages out to 1 per hour since the build up began. (sarcasm).

I was just thinking the fear would work well in Russias favor.

If you get to area near the damn, and nothing is wrong, the populace should be fairly calm and orderly.
on the other hand, if there is any flooding, the populace is going to be panicking and trying to evacuate (and generally slowing the Ukraine military down just by getting in the way). That would be a massive time boost to Russia.

Which makes me wonder if that's what all this with the damn has been about. Setting it up for sheer fear and giving extra time if it's needed.
Unlikely, but slightly possible.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Well, it may be too early, but it looks like that Russia has retreated across the river giving up Kherson. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though I hope it doesn't.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-11 06:12pm Well, it may be too early, but it looks like that Russia has retreated across the river giving up Kherson. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though I hope it doesn't.
Pretty much everyone is expecting that, I think.