Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by LadyTevar »

The BBC has found footage that is supposedly showing an explosion at the Dam.

BBC Ukraine Updates
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-12 10:42am The BBC has found footage that is supposedly showing an explosion at the Dam.

BBC Ukraine Updates
occurred back on the 11th: sat pics here: https://twitter.com/Maxar/status/1591158455808954368

seems to be sluice gates, access over the dam, and (I suspect) back up power station control systems on the east bank.

Loss of Sluice gates means loss of control over the dam and ability to finesse power. It doesn't mean widespread flooding though.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-11 08:18pm
Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-11 06:12pm Well, it may be too early, but it looks like that Russia has retreated across the river giving up Kherson. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though I hope it doesn't.
Pretty much everyone is expecting that, I think.
At this rate, the other shoe will drop in the form of further Russian withdrawls, mass material abandonment, and mass surrenders by Russian forces.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-11-14 08:05am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-11 08:18pm
Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-11 06:12pm Well, it may be too early, but it looks like that Russia has retreated across the river giving up Kherson. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though I hope it doesn't.
Pretty much everyone is expecting that, I think.
At this rate, the other shoe will drop in the form of further Russian withdrawls, mass material abandonment, and mass surrenders by Russian forces.
Yeah, that is what it is looking like and the result I hope for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Oh shit, a Russian missile landed and killed two people in Poland. Basically, Russia has to admit they fucked up if they know what's good for them.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well that has the potential to escalate real fast.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Well, then. Hold on to your butts, 'cause this might get fucking spicy.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

News on the BBC is that it's a type of missile both Russia (offensively) and Ukraine (defensively) use and either way it's very unlikely to be intentional fired at Poland rather than an accident.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-15 02:08pm Oh shit, a Russian missile landed and killed two people in Poland. Basically, Russia has to admit they fucked up if they know what's good for them.
If Russia knew what was good for them they wouldn't have started the goddamned war in the first place.

This could get nasty. Is there anything official from NATO, the EU, or the UN about this?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-11-15 04:45pm News on the BBC is that it's a type of missile both Russia (offensively) and Ukraine (defensively) use and either way it's very unlikely to be intentional fired at Poland rather than an accident.
Well, yeah, considering Russia is the largest "donor" of equipment to Ukraine that's not entirely surprising.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-11-15 04:46pm This could get nasty. Is there anything official from NATO, the EU, or the UN about this?
They're basically in fact finding mode at the moment. They're going to have to be crystal clear on what exactly happened and who's missile it was before they do anything.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Poland has been screaming "do it you pussy!" at Russia since March.

I don't think they'll jump the gun, but the urge to make russians scream "kurwa!" is strong.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

This is one of those times where Russia going 'oops, we missed, sorry about that' is actually a possibility.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Latvia is joining the Bandwagon:
“The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense for Latvia, Artis Pabriks, claimed the missiles were Russian as well. “My condolences to our Polish brothers in arms. Criminal Russian regime fired missiles which target not only Ukrainian civilians but also landed on NATO territory in Poland,” Pabriks said. “Latvia fully stands with Polish friends and condemns this crime.”

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And Russia is currently in full denial.
Posted at 15:0715:07 BBC News
Russia denies any involvement in 'missile strike on Poland'
Russia has denied statements from Polish media outlets and officials that Russian missiles fell on the Polish village of Przewodó near the Ukrainian border.

The Russian ministry of defence posted on its Telegram, calling the reports "a deliberate provocation in order to escalate the situation".

"No strikes were made against targets near the Ukrainian-Polish state border by Russian means of destruction," the statement said.It said missile fragments from the scene, reportedly filmed by Polish media, did not relate to Russian weapons.

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-15 05:56pm And Russia is currently in full denial.
Russia has denied statements from Polish media outlets and officials that Russian missiles fell on the Polish village of Przewodó near the Ukrainian border.

The Russian ministry of defence posted on its Telegram, calling the reports "a deliberate provocation in order to escalate the situation".

"No strikes were made against targets near the Ukrainian-Polish state border by Russian means of destruction," the statement said.It said missile fragments from the scene, reportedly filmed by Polish media, did not relate to Russian weapons.
Sure, poot-poot. Sure.

Time to thin the horde.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2022-11-15 07:02pm

Sure, poot-poot. Sure.

Time to thin the horde.
Isn't that the standard Russian response?
On the first day, they immediately and strongly deny they had anything to do with it.
On the second day, they say they actually hit a military target.
On the third day, they claim it was the Ukrainians all along, who bombed Poland in order to make the Russians look bad.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-15 08:16pm
Highlord Laan wrote: 2022-11-15 07:02pm

Sure, poot-poot. Sure.

Time to thin the horde.
Isn't that the standard Russian response?
On the first day, they immediately and strongly deny they had anything to do with it.
On the second day, they say they actually hit a military target.
On the third day, they claim it was the Ukrainians all along, who bombed Poland in order to make the Russians look bad.
More or less like clockwork, which is why pretty much no one buys it. I mean People's Republic of China of all places has been calling them out on their BS and that's a long-term ally of Russia.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Solauren wrote: 2022-11-15 05:00pm This is one of those times where Russia going 'oops, we missed, sorry about that' is actually a possibility.
It is though that's a damn big "oops" both geographically and politically. You'd think Russia wants to avoid hitting NATO countries at all costs, but then you'd think that Russia plans/thinks about what's it doing at all before acting and I'm not convinced that's the case.

EDIT: I think Broomstick said it the best earlier on this page when she said "If Russia knew what was good for them they wouldn't have started the goddamned war in the first place."

This whole thing seems like a collection of not thinking before acting and then trying to panic fix things when things predictably blow up in your face.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-11-15 09:59pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-11-15 05:00pm This is one of those times where Russia going 'oops, we missed, sorry about that' is actually a possibility.
It is though that's a damn big "oops" both geographically and politically. You'd think Russia wants to avoid hitting NATO countries at all costs, but then you'd think that Russia plans/thinks about what's it doing at all before acting and I'm not convinced that's the case.

EDIT: I think Broomstick said it the best earlier on this page when she said "If Russia knew what was good for them they wouldn't have started the goddamned war in the first place."

This whole thing seems like a collection of not thinking before acting and then trying to panic fix things when things predictably blow up in your face.
You can always blame it on someone doing something wrong. In this case, thinking they where further from the target then they were.
It was only about 4 miles into the border, so it's at least a feasible error.

There is also the possibility that Russia is telling the truth, and the missile was instead launched by the Belarus military instead.
That wouldn't actually make that big a difference interms of possible fallout from this, but still, it's worth a brief consideration.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Do you think the Russian government has figured out who launched it yet ?

Because I find it very unlikely that it was ordered by someone high up in the chain of command. More likely is that it a targeting error or a decision made by someone lower down.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

For all we know so far, it might as well been a misfired Ukrainian anti air missile. Which wouldn't have been fired in the first place if Russia didn't attacked with over a hundred missile attacks on Ukraine yesterday.
Or maybe Russian troops mistook a Polish tractor for a Malaysian airliner. Who knows. Lets wait what the conclusion of the investigations will be
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

well in the 8 hours since you all got on your high horse, Biden has also stated 'unlikely to be a russian missile'
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... biden-says

It seems possible it was a Ukrainian interceptor missile launched at a russian missile. It also seems likely that all parties (except Ukraine) want to play down the potential 'strike on a nato member' aspect. Why wouldn't they? Russia is already losing at little risk to Nato.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The rhetoric from Ukraine does annoy me from time to time.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Let's also face facts here.

Russia has to realize what a mistake the invasion of the Ukraine was.
Ukraine is not a NATO member, is not part of any defense pacts.

And despite all that, just material from some friendly nations is letting the Ukraine military kick the crap out of Russia's invasion.

This has resulted in the invasion being a colossal waste of money and other resources by Russia.

If Russia had managed to occupy and annex the Ukraine, it could be argued it was economically worth it. (Captured territory, infrastructure, etc).
Especially if they don't care about political fall-out.

However, the counter-offensive looks like it's going to push Russia completely out of all Ukraine territory, and territory Russia illegally claimed from them.

That's bad. That's 'regime ending' bad. Russia's loses during World War 1 contributed greatly to the cause of the February Revolution and the end of the Russian monarchy.

And Putin and the upper leadership of Russia have to realize this. They're low on resources, morale, and even their allies are telling them off.

So, the last thing they need is to add to their potential problems. Attacking a NATO country would definately do that.

Right now, the best option Russia has is to continue their withdraw back to there traditional legally recognized borders, fortify, and sue for peace.

And if one of the conditions for peace is not arguing when the Ukraine joins NATO, then let them.

Once they have that peace, the current Russian leadership might be able to save their own positions at home. But they'll need the Russian military to do that.

But attacking NATO? That will give NATO a reason to start putting boots in the ground in the Ukraine, which makes it less likely of the Russian military getting out of the Ukraine in any condition to help prop up the Russian government.

Russia is not that stupid.