Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-11-22 01:18pm
GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2022-11-22 12:03pm Given Russian/Ukrainian history? It's probably another bout of 'screw the Ukrainians as hard as possible because they disobeyed Russia again' on Russia's part.
The problem with that idea is RUSSIA HAS CONTROL of that particular plant.
If Russia is shelling it, they're shelling their OWN Troops.
This is the same Russia that told its troops to dig trenches and live in foxholes in the Red Forest? Yes?

I don't think they give a fuck about their own people, much less anyone else.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by LaCroix »

A lot of the friendly fire shelling is the wear on russian barrels - these things have been firing mass barrages for several months without any service.

This leads to accurracy loss, but also to unpredictable loss of range - many russian telphone calls have been intercepted complaining about their own arty falling short, hitting own lines. And while they do that, the barrels wear even more, maken them fall even shorter They pretty much have to walk their fire into the target, these days...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Zelenskyy tells Biden: ‘No compromises’ in path to peace to end war in Ukraine.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy said there cannot be a "just peace" with Russia, as Joe Biden promised to ramp up defensive support for the war effort on the Ukrainian's president first foreign trip since the invasion of his country in February.

The Ukrainian President paid a defiant wartime visit to Washington on Wednesday to thank US leaders and “ordinary Americans” for their support in fighting off Russia’s invasion.

At a press conference at the White House, he said the war would end once Ukraine’s sovereignty, freedom and territorial integrity were restored, as well as the “payback for all the damages inflicted by Russian aggression.”

"The longer the war lasts the longer this aggression lasts, there will be more parents who live for the sake of vengeance, or revenge, and I know a lot of people like that," Mr Zelenskyy said, rejecting Mr Biden’s framing of a “just peace”.

"So there cannot be any just peace in the war that was imposed on us."

Just before his arrival, the US announced its largest single delivery of arms to Ukraine, and Congress planned to vote on a spending package that includes about $45 billion in emergency assistance to Ukraine.

The latest tranche of US funding would be the biggest yet to Ukraine, and the US military aid package will include, for the first time, a Patriot missile battery and precision guided bombs for its fighter jets, US officials said.

It represents an expansion in the kinds of advanced weaponry intended to bolster Ukraine's air defences against what has been an increasing barrage of Russian missiles.

The Patriot missile is considered by many to be among the most advanced US air defence systems, providing protection against attacking aircraft, as well as cruise and ballistic missiles.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry has said the delivery of the advanced surface-to-air missile system would be considered a provocative step and that the system and any crews accompanying it would be a legitimate target for Moscow’s military.
“It’s a defensive system,” Biden said of sending the missile system. “It’s not escalatory - it’s defensive.”

Mr Biden said Vladimir Putin is targeting "critical" infrastructure in "brutal" attacks to make life as hard as possible for Ukrainian civilians.

"We understand in our bones that Ukraine's fight is part of something much bigger," the US president told reporters.

"The American people know that if we stand by in the face of such blatant attacks on liberty and democracy, and the core principles of sovereignty and territorial integrity, the world would surely face worse consequences."

Describing Ukraine's military successes in the war, Mr Biden says the embattled country defied Moscow's expectations at every turn, winning the battle of Kyiv, Kherson and Kharkiv.

He went on to thank lawmakers in Congress for backing his "omnibus bill" for Ukraine, which he says includes $45bn of additional funding.

"The American people are with you every step of the way and we will stay with you, we will stay with you for as long as it takes" Mr Biden added.

"What you are doing, what you have achieved, it matters not just to Ukraine, but to the entire world."

The Ukrainian president was earlier greeted by the US president and first lady Jill Biden, before he went inside the White House for a meeting in the Oval Office.

In brief remarks before reporters, Mr Biden told his Ukrainian counterpart that “it's an honour to be by your side”, adding that Ukrainians "inspire the world".

Mr Zelenskyy said he wanted to visit the US at an earlier time, but could not, as he stressed that the “war is not over” because his country faces many challenges in battling Russia.

"All my appreciation from my heart, from the heart of Ukrainians," he told the US President, as he praised Mr Biden for his "leadership" in the war effort.

As the two leaders had a fireside chat, Mr Zelenskyy presented Mr Biden with a military award that he said was handed to him by a "real hero".
“I want to give you something,” Mr Zelenskyy said, passing Mr Biden a cross for military merit.

Mr Zelenskyy said a captain of a HIMARS rocket system gave him the medal when he was in Bakhmut, eastern Ukraine, on Tuesday.

The US- supplied HIMARS rocket systems have been key to the Ukrainian offensives in August that forced Russian troops out of Kharkiv and then Kherson in November.

“A real hero, a real captain and he asked me to pass his award and he asked me to pass his award to President Biden. He will understand.”
Mr Biden, in turn, praised the Ukrainian's "courage" and "resolve" in the face of Russian aggression, pledging financial and humanitarian assistance to strengthen Ukraine's ability to defend itself.

The US president told Mr Zelenskyy he was "the man of the year" - a reference to Time Magazine's decision to put the Ukrainian leader on its cover for "proving that courage can be as contagious as fear".

Mr Zelenskyy is set to give a speech to Congress later and hold a number of meetings in Washington to shore up support for Ukraine.

While in the air, he had earlier tweeted that he planned to strengthen the country’s “resilience and defence capabilities”.

As diplomatic ties were cemented between Kyiv and Washington, the Kremlin warned that increasing the supply of US arms to Ukraine would aggravate the war. Russia's defence minister called for expanding Moscow's military by at least 500,000 people.

Mr Zelenskyy headed to Washington after making a daring trip on Tuesday to what he called the hottest spot on the 800-mile front line of the war, the city of Bakhmut in Ukraine’s contested Donetsk province.

The city, about 380 miles east of Kyiv, has remained in Ukrainian hands, thwarting Moscow’s goal of capturing the rest of Donetsk province and the entire Donbas industrial region.

The Ukrainian president has - almost daily - addressed various parliaments and international organisations by video and he has sent his wife to foreign capitals, including London, to drum up assistance against the Russian invasion.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, in her invitation to Mr Zelenskyy to speak to lawmakers, said “the fight for Ukraine is the fight for democracy itself”, adding they were looking forward to "hearing your inspiring message of unity, resilience and determination”.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

To contrast Pres. Zelenskyy's comments, we have an interview with Putin.
BBC News wrote:RUSSIA NOT TO BLAME FOR UKRAINIAN WAR

Vladimir Putin believes Russia is not to blame for the war in Ukraine, adding both countries are "sharing a tragedy".

During a televised address with senior military officials, the Russian president said he continued to see Ukraine as a "brotherly nation".

In February, President Putin sent up to 200,000 troops into Ukraine sparking a war which has led to tens of thousands of deaths.

He argued the conflict was "the result of the policy of third countries".

The theory, which implies Western expansion is the cause, has been repeatedly dismissed outside Russia.

During his address President Putin said the West had "brainwashed" post-Soviet republics, starting with Ukraine.

He said: "For years, we tried to build good-neighbourly relations with Ukraine, offering loans and cheap energy, but it did not work."

President Putin's longstanding concerns appear to stem from Nato's growth since the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991.

Nato's original goal was to challenge Russian expansion after World War Two, but the Kremlin has long argued Nato's acceptance of former Soviet allies as members threatens its security.

Tensions between the Kremlin and the West increased after the overthrow of pro-Kremlin Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych in 2014, following months of street protests.

In his address President Putin continued: "There's nothing to accuse us of. We've always seen Ukrainians as a brotherly people and I still think so.

"What's happening now is a tragedy, but it's not our fault."]/i]

Russia has launched more than 1,000 missiles and Iranian-made attack drones in a wave of strikes on Ukraine's power infrastructure which began on 10 October.

The attacks have plunged millions into darkness.

Military officials vowed to continue the "special military operation" into 2023.

When Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February, President Putin promised only professional soldiers would take part.

But by September that had all changed as he announced a "partial mobilisation", potentially drafting hundreds of thousands of Russian citizens into the armed forces.

Now, Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu has proposed raising the age range for mandatory Russian military service.

Under the current law, Russians aged 18-27 can be called up for mandatory military service - Mr Shoigu is now proposing this covers citizens aged 21-30.

Mr Shoigu also announced plans to establish bases in two port cities - Berdyansk and Mariupol - seized during the Russian offensive.

But, in recent months Ukrainian forces have made a series of major advances, including retaking Kherson - the only regional capital captured by Russian forces since the invasion.

The address came as Ukrainian leader Volodmyr Zelensky arrived in Washington for his first visit outside of Ukraine since Russia invaded 10 months ago.

Does he really expect anyone to believe this bullshit?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-12-21 11:57pm Does he really expect anyone to believe this bullshit?
Yeah.

Gonna copy-paste a message board post I saw on another forum:
Were chatting with my cousin, who lives and was born in raised in Kyiv. He has unfathomable opinions on the war.
-The war is 90% the fault of Ukrainian nazi's. Russia has a historical duty to fight nazis anywhere, if the west had not done a coup and installed a 100% nazi junta this war would not be needed.
-Most of the war crimes are fake news, and while tragic that his own city is being bombed its not the Russian's fault it's the west and their local nazi allies that have forced Russia into the war. The blood is on their hands, not russia.
-Here is a picture of a snowman with an SS symbol on it, this proves Ukraine is 100% nazi and the war totally justified.
-Nazi's are the most vile and dangerous thing in the world based on the most evil ideology ever.
Cousin's ideology:
-Democracy doesn't work and simply gets corrupted by (((them))) so a strong paternal leader is best.
-Society must return to traditional values, wokeism and lgbt will destroy us all if we don't stamp out this degeneracy.
-Orthodox values and culture are best and the church must play a strong guiding role in society. Godlessness is degeneracy.
-A society is only as good as its strength and power of its men, feminism is a ploy to emasculate and weaken societies leaving their women unprotected.
-There are active plots to destroy the white race and western culture and replace them with the asiatic hoards or race mixing.
-Kyiv is a russian speaking city, all the Ukrainian speaking people are colonizers that need to go back to Lviv. Zelensky sent them here as part of a great replacement to genocide russian culture.

Absolute expert at fighting nazi ideology. It's insane what russian propaganda can do to people. There's no arguing with him either because "I live here and experience the true reality, you're in Canada and only have western propaganda"
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-12-21 11:57pm To contrast Pres. Zelenskyy's comments, we have an interview with Putin.
BBC News wrote:RUSSIA NOT TO BLAME FOR UKRAINIAN WAR

Vladimir Putin believes Russia is not to blame for the war in Ukraine, adding both countries are "sharing a tragedy".

During a televised address with senior military officials, the Russian president said he continued to see Ukraine as a "brotherly nation".

In February, President Putin sent up to 200,000 troops into Ukraine sparking a war which has led to tens of thousands of deaths.

He argued the conflict was "the result of the policy of third countries".

The theory, which implies Western expansion is the cause, has been repeatedly dismissed outside Russia.

During his address President Putin said the West had "brainwashed" post-Soviet republics, starting with Ukraine.

He said: "For years, we tried to build good-neighbourly relations with Ukraine, offering loans and cheap energy, but it did not work."

President Putin's longstanding concerns appear to stem from Nato's growth since the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991.

Nato's original goal was to challenge Russian expansion after World War Two, but the Kremlin has long argued Nato's acceptance of former Soviet allies as members threatens its security.

Tensions between the Kremlin and the West increased after the overthrow of pro-Kremlin Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych in 2014, following months of street protests.

In his address President Putin continued: "There's nothing to accuse us of. We've always seen Ukrainians as a brotherly people and I still think so.

"What's happening now is a tragedy, but it's not our fault."]/i]

Russia has launched more than 1,000 missiles and Iranian-made attack drones in a wave of strikes on Ukraine's power infrastructure which began on 10 October.

The attacks have plunged millions into darkness.

Military officials vowed to continue the "special military operation" into 2023.

When Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February, President Putin promised only professional soldiers would take part.

But by September that had all changed as he announced a "partial mobilisation", potentially drafting hundreds of thousands of Russian citizens into the armed forces.

Now, Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu has proposed raising the age range for mandatory Russian military service.

Under the current law, Russians aged 18-27 can be called up for mandatory military service - Mr Shoigu is now proposing this covers citizens aged 21-30.

Mr Shoigu also announced plans to establish bases in two port cities - Berdyansk and Mariupol - seized during the Russian offensive.

But, in recent months Ukrainian forces have made a series of major advances, including retaking Kherson - the only regional capital captured by Russian forces since the invasion.

The address came as Ukrainian leader Volodmyr Zelensky arrived in Washington for his first visit outside of Ukraine since Russia invaded 10 months ago.

Does he really expect anyone to believe this bullshit?

This makes Putin sound like a "nice guy" who got friendzoned and then went on to abuse the girl he was being "nice" to. Which seems about right given his rhetoric around the war.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Ralin wrote: 2022-12-22 12:01am

Gonna copy-paste a message board post I saw on another forum:
Were chatting with my cousin
I hope someone told that cousin that he's the one who's sounding like a literal nazi
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

He forgot about poisoning Yushchenko for the crime of being pro european, or installing corrupt pro Kremlin puppets
Actually, I think that Ukraine become more pro European was all the provocation he needed and the main justification to start this war, to bomb his "brotherly nation" into rubble. I'm sure Ukrainians will love Russia even more now
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And Russia got pissy over Zelensky's visit.

Gee... you invade another sovereign country TWICE within 10 years, and then wonder why they don't want "PEACE", when your idea of "peace" is "Bow Down and Accept Us as Conquerors"?
BBC NEWS wrote: Zelensky's visit shows neither Ukraine nor US want peace, Russia says

Russia has strongly criticised the visit to Washington by Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky, accusing the US of fighting an indirect war against it.

President Joe Biden has pledged $1.85bn (£1.45bn) of military aid for Ukraine - including an advanced missile system to help guard against Russian attacks.

In a defiant address to US lawmakers, Mr Zelensky welcomed the assistance.

But Russia's US ambassador said these "provocative actions" would lead to an escalation with severe consequences.

Anatoly Antonov told Russian state media that Moscow was "trying to appeal to common sense at all levels", but talk of delivering the Patriot missile system to Kyiv was "deeply disturbing".
Patriot missiles are capable, effective and expensive. The White House says they will help defend Ukrainians against "Russia's barbaric attacks on Ukraine's critical infrastructure".

Moscow has complained that no calls for peace were heard during President Zelensky's trip to Washington - with spokesman Dmitry Peskov describing this as proof that the US was fighting a proxy war with Russia.
Mr Peskov added that delivering Patriot missiles would not prevent Russia from "achieving its goals during the special military operation".

"The talks in Washington have shown that neither Ukraine nor the United States is seeking peace. They are simply intent on continuing the fighting," said Russian foreign ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova.
Russian commentators have echoed this - repeatedly accusing the US of "pumping Ukraine full of weapons".

Some media reports from Moscow ridiculed the Ukrainian leader - with state TV's Channel One comparing him to a stripper begging for money. On Wednesday, he was likened to a toilet brush.

Marking his first foreign trip since the start of the invasion, Mr Zelensky told Congress his country was "alive and kicking" and would never surrender to Moscow.

As well as the $1.85bn package that has already been announced, another $45bn of US emergency assistance is currently before the Senate.
Mr Zelensky expressed hope this extra funding would be approved, to "help us to defend our values and independence".

But there are signs that US support is likely to face greater political scrutiny. Republican support for continued assistance has been eroding.
In a survey conducted in November, just over half of Republican voters supported aid to Ukraine - down from 80% in March.
The party, which will take control of the House of Representatives in January, has warned it will not write a "blank cheque" for Ukraine.

But President Biden has vowed to stick by Ukraine "for as long as it takes".

Mr Zelensky, who travelled on a US Air Force jet from the Polish city of Rzeszow, said that "regardless of changes in the Congress", he believed there would be bipartisan support for his country.
He made his plea in emotive terms before a joint session of Congress - a speech that was interrupted 18 times with standing ovations by nearly all members of Congress, with the exception of some Republican lawmakers who did not clap.
Speaking in English, he told them his country was still standing "against all odds" and predicted "a turning point" in the conflict next year.

To illustrate the brutality of the war, Mr Zelensky evoked US troops fighting the Nazis during World War Two.

"The Russians' tactic is primitive. They burn down and destroy everything they see. They sent convicts to the front lines, to the war. They threw everything against us, similar to the other tyranny, which in the Battle of the Bulge threw everything it had against the free world.
"Just like the brave American soldiers who held their lines and fought back Hitler's forces during the Christmas of 1944, brave Ukrainian soldiers are doing the same to [Russian President Vladimir] Putin's forces this Christmas," he said. "Ukraine holds its lines and will never surrender."

Concluding his speech, Mr Zelensky presented Congress with a battle flag signed by the defenders of Bakhmut, a frontline city in the east of Ukraine that he visited on the eve of his Washington trip.

At a joint news conference, Mr Biden told reporters he was "not at all worried" about holding the international coalition together.
Despite concerns some allies may be feeling the strain of the conflict's cost and disruption to global food and energy supplies, the US president said he felt "very good" about the solidarity of support for Ukraine.

As Ukraine's most important ally, the US has already committed $50bn (£41bn) of humanitarian, financial and security assistance - far more than any other country.
On his way home from Washington, Volodymyr Zelensky stopped in Poland where he met Polish President Andrzej Duda, one of his strongest allies.
The two discussed the US visit as well as their "strategic plans for the future", Mr Zelensky said.

Since Russia invaded Ukraine on 24 February, the US military estimates that at least 100,000 Russian and 100,000 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed or injured, along with some 40,000 civilian deaths.
The UN has recorded 7.8 million people as refugees from Ukraine across Europe, including Russia. However, the figure does not include those who have been forced to flee their homes but remain in Ukraine.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

BBC NEWS wrote:
But Russia's US ambassador said these "provocative actions" would lead to an escalation with severe consequences.
What are they going to do? Invade harder?
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I'm to the point of wanting Biden to meet poot-poot face to face, just so he can lean forward and whisper "do it you pussy" in the shitheads ear.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ralin wrote: 2022-12-22 01:57pm
BBC NEWS wrote:
They could always start nuking things, that would be "escalation with severe consequences" and at this point Russia seems gone so far of the deep end that I wouldn't put starting World War III to boost Putin's ego past them.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-12-22 03:11pm They could always start nuking things, that would be "escalation with severe consequences" and at this point Russia seems gone so far of the deep end that I wouldn't put starting World War III to boost Putin's ego past them.
Hopefully at that point, his generals pull their side arms and put him down.

Also, anyone else notice that Putin looks 'airbrushed' or heavily made-up recently?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Russia is probably pissy because the way he was transported there was no way to attempt to assassinate him and even if they had it could have been construed as an attack on American assets and therefore a reason to get the US/NATO involved, which is the last thing Putin actually wants.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-12-23 04:10am and therefore a reason to get the US/NATO involved, which is the last thing Putin actually wants.
Other than it being a validation of much of his justification for the war, an excellent excuse for ending the war well short of victory and also possibly validating what Putin personally believes depending on how much the speculation that he genuinely thinks NATO and associates are all literal American vassals and puppet states is accurate.

I mean, not to get all conspiracy theory. But the Biden administration clearly doesn't want to get the US/NATO directly involved because if they did they'd be in the process of doing it right now.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2022-12-23 05:29am I mean, not to get all conspiracy theory. But the Biden administration clearly doesn't want to get the US/NATO directly involved because if they did they'd be in the process of doing it right now.
Oh, that's not conspiracy theory, that's actual logic.

I mean, really, why does NATO need to get involved?

Putin is doing a perfectly good job of slowly destroying Russia's military and economy. No need to get involved and therefore be responsible for any of the post-war clean up.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Slowly?!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ralin wrote: 2022-12-23 01:03pmSlowly?!
Well there's still a Russian military and economy so it's slow in military terms.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-12-22 03:11pm
BBC NEWS wrote:
They could always start nuking things, that would be "escalation with severe consequences" and at this point Russia seems gone so far of the deep end that I wouldn't put starting World War III to boost Putin's ego past them.
This is the treat poot-poot has been making since day one to keep keep people afraid of facing him, and far too many people take him seriously because of it.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2022-12-23 05:02pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2022-12-22 03:11pm

This is the treat poot-poot has been making since day one to keep keep people afraid of facing him, and far too many people take him seriously because of it.
WE keep saying "he's not dumb enough to do that", but I'm betting there's a whole lot of plans in backrooms right now over What To Do if Putin is crazy enough to unleash that Genie.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Russian army and FSB on brink of civil war as tensions explode over military supplies.
Vladimir Putin is facing a major clash between his army and security forces in southern Ukraine, as tensions over military supplies threaten to explode. The Russian army has been beset by logistical problems, that are seriously impacting its ability to equip and supply its frontline troops. Numerous reports have emerged of soldiers being critically short on ammunition, food and basic winter clothing - to name but a few issues.

Angry conscripts have posted various videos to social media, where they call upon their President to sort out their logistical nightmare.

Now it appears that Putin's military and security forces are embroiled in a vicious dogfight for scarce supplies, that is threatening to tear apart Russia's army.

The Ukraine Resistance Centre (URC) said on December 22 that tensions were reaching boiling point over the distribution of supplies.

They claimed that FSB (the KGB successor organisation) and the Russian National Guard were getting first picks on vital military equipment, including the best vehicles.

As a result, the Russian military was only getting its hands on whatever was left over.

In a recent bulletin, the URC said: "The Russian security forces and the military are at odds in the Kherson area due to insufficient material support.

The US House of Representatives gave final approval for a $45billion (£37.34billion) aid package for Ukraine on Friday following the visit of President Volodymyr Zelensky earlier this week.

"Tension is growing between the occupation security forces (Rosgvardiya, FSB) and the military due to insufficient material support.

"So, the former select the best vehicles that deliver the occupiers to the temporarily occupied territories.

"At the same time, the military receives provision of needs according to the surplus principle.

"The situation is worsened by the unspoken ban on the delivery of new vehicles through Crimea, which was introduced by the occupiers.

"Such a situation lowers the morale of Russians on the left bank of the Kherson region."

The desperate plight of Russian soldiers was further highlighted by recent events in the Luhansk region, part of Ukraine's Donbas.

A Russian source said that a unit of recently mobilised soldiers ended up in the region without supplies, food, personal belongings, or the means of communication

They added that many of the conscripts had to be taken to hospital to receive treatment for frostbite.

The lack of supplies and equipment continues to batter morale among Russia's frontline troops, resulting in more mass desertions - despite claims to the contrary by the Kremlin.

Ukraine's military intelligence (GUR) published an intercepted phone call from a Russian soldier to his girlfriend.

During the conversation, the trooper says that units still lack essential equipment and are quitting en masse.

He says: "Where is this so-called new equipment, which everyone is talking about?"

His girl friend then asks: "What's happening there? They wrote in the news yesterday that Ukraine's Armed Forces won back part of the road between Svatovo and Kremmenya?"

After he confirms the Ukrainian advance, she then raises the subject of desertions.

She says: "Tell me, what's going on with the conscripts? They get three months training and then run off home?"

Her soldier boyfriend replies: "We have a hell of a lot of '500s'. Very many."

When his girlfriend asks him what he means, he explains: "It refers to those soldiers who throw down their guns and say 'Fuck all of you. I am not serving anymore' and then fuck off. That's what 500 means."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Wasn't this the problem in WWI, that triggered the fall of the Tsar?
History repeats, if you're not careful.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-12-24 03:25pm Wasn't this the problem in WWI, that triggered the fall of the Tsar?
History repeats, if you're not careful.
Part of the problem, but the overall situation does have a large number of similarities.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Isn't this also what happened to the Wehrmacht in WW2? Not bringing winter clothing and provisions because it was "a short war?"
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2022-12-25 06:32pm Isn't this also what happened to the Wehrmacht in WW2? Not bringing winter clothing and provisions because it was "a short war?"
Or the Soviet forces during the Winter War, it's hardly a new or unique thing, though it's always a major mistake.

It should be noted that Nicholas II was really, really poorly liked even before World War I (as in there had already been a revolution in 1905 due to how poorly the Tsar was handling things). This could be the end for Putin or it could not, it's still too early to say.