Wisconsin: Darrell Brooks identified as suspect after five killed at Waukesha Christmas parade

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Wisconsin: Darrell Brooks identified as suspect after five killed at Waukesha Christmas parade

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Officials have identified a man taken into custody after a speeding vehicle ploughed into a festive parade in the US state of Wisconsin, killing five people, according to reports.

The incident left more than 40 people injured and at least five dead after an SUV sped into a Christmas parade of both adults and children in the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha on Sunday.

Authorities from Waukesha, located about 20 miles west of Milwaukee, confirmed the deaths in a statement late on Sunday.

Two law enforcement officials, who wished to remain anonymous, have now told the Associated Press that Darrell Brooks, 39, was the person taken into custody after a Waukesha police officer opened fire to try to stop the vehicle.

Online court records showed a person named Darrell Brooks Jr. who has two open criminal cases in Milwaukee County.

In one case, filed on November 5, he is charged with resisting or obstructing an officer, second-degree recklessly endangering safety, disorderly conduct, bail jumping and battery.

Records show that a $1,000 cash bond was posted November 19.
In the other case, filed in July 2020, Brooks is charged with reckless endangering and illegal possession of a firearm.
Rest of the article and link here.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Wisconsin: Darrell Brooks identified as suspect after five killed at Waukesha Christmas parade

Post by Broomstick »

A few years ago I spent a week in Waukesha on business. It's full of twisty streets, many one-way, that abruptly change direction and/or name. Very confused, twisty mess of a road network. This looks like one of the few straight-aways in the city.

Supposedly one of the people viewing the parade got a decent (under the circumstances) profile picture of the guy behind the wheel of the SUV:

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Wisconsin: Darrell Brooks identified as suspect after five killed at Waukesha Christmas parade

Post by LadyTevar »

They've announced there were 5 fatalities, all of them part of the "Dancing Grannies" parade troupe.
Several of the children who were hit are still in ICU.

The Police had been called to a "Domestic Dispute" involving Darrell Brooks, and he was fleeing the scene when he ran through the parade. He had been released on bond for another incident just two days prior.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59378571
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'm not sure whether it's better or worse that he did it fleeing a crime scene and not setting out to run over dozens of people. This is the sort of shit you expect from a terrorist.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Update:

A sixth person has died, one of the children (not publicly identified)

Apparently Mr. Asshole had an outstanding warrant in Nevada, where he is a convicted sex offender.

The video I saw of him in court today had him wearing a bullet proof vest. I have no doubt he's safer in jail than at large. Wonder if he knows that?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-11-23 02:43pm I'm not sure whether it's better or worse that he did it fleeing a crime scene and not setting out to run over dozens of people. This is the sort of shit you expect from a terrorist.
So far, everything says he SPED UP when he saw people in the road. That is deliberate.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-11-23 06:07pm The video I saw of him in court today had him wearing a bullet proof vest.
The big green thing over most of his body? That looks more like a safety smock used for suicide prevention to me.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep, bullet proof vest. They typically are not fashion statements. Unless the statement is "I done fucked up and did something so horrible the authorities are afraid someone will sniper my ass before I even get to trial".