How realistic is "Global Peak" series now? (2021)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

How realistic is "Global Peak" series now? (2021)

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Global Peak was a fictional universe created by Duchess of Zeon back in 2007-2009, a vivid post-apocalyptic world after Peak Oil.

I made a thread in December 2015 soliciting opinions about it. I remember back in 2008 I found the whole project to be vividly appalling about the breakdown of the U.S. and the world as we know it, but also grimdark, even edgelord at times.

Looking back at the 2015 thread, I felt pretty dismissive about the work for its portrayal of the future, especially since fracking basically pushed out peak oil for who knows how long, and solar and battery technologies have subsequently caught up. But alas, fracking came at the price of accelerating climate change (so perhaps the Global Mean Temperature story will prove to be more lasting).

All of the peak oil stuff aside, I'm struck by how Global Peak at times convincingly depicts the political and societal breakdown of the U.S. Turns out you don't need gas to stop flowing to sic Americans against each other; social media and traditional propaganda does a fine job of it already. It's in the American spirit to be polarized and paranoid. You toss in a different global crisis and see the wheels start spinning off.

So yeah, how does that story's portrayal of a future heading towards collapse feel relative to these times? Wish someone could write a spiritual successor to it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: How realistic is "Global Peak" series now? (2021)

Post by LadyTevar »

Trolling off-topic post removed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-09-10 10:04pm Trolling off-topic post removed.
I'd like to point out that Elongated Muskrat is/has:

1.) Pushing forward electricified vehicles (including semitrucks) at a rapid pace.

2.) Pushing forward solar technology, and the large scale battery capacity to store said solar energy at a rapid pace -- Tesla has applied to be an utility in Texas; and they have large scale battery farms in existence in Australia.

3.) Donated $100 million towards an X-Prize to develop commercially feasible carbon capture technologies -- isn't one of the problems we face with global warming, increasing carbon in the atmosphere?

4.) Pushing forward space travel technology at a rapid pace in a South Texas town called Boca Chica.

As a bonus, in the now-deleted image in my original post, he's doing it while looking like a Bond villain as well.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If the last 5 years have taught us anything, reality will be far dumber than anything that was imagined before 2016.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Vendetta wrote: 2021-09-11 09:55am If the last 5 years have taught us anything, reality will be far dumber than anything that was imagined before 2016.
It's also why I find humor to be more accurately predictive than drama (The Simpsons, Futurama, Calvin and Hobbes etc. being big examples of this).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

MKSheppard wrote: 2021-09-11 07:07am
LadyTevar wrote: 2021-09-10 10:04pm Trolling off-topic post removed.
I'd like to point out that Elongated Muskrat is/has:

1.) Pushing forward electricified vehicles (including semitrucks) at a rapid pace.

2.) Pushing forward solar technology, and the large scale battery capacity to store said solar energy at a rapid pace -- Tesla has applied to be an utility in Texas; and they have large scale battery farms in existence in Australia.

3.) Donated $100 million towards an X-Prize to develop commercially feasible carbon capture technologies -- isn't one of the problems we face with global warming, increasing carbon in the atmosphere?

4.) Pushing forward space travel technology at a rapid pace in a South Texas town called Boca Chica.

As a bonus, in the now-deleted image in my original post, he's doing it while looking like a Bond villain as well.
Again, Shep, this is OFF TOPIC. This has nothing to do with Global Peak.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Musk of it all does make me curious. Did that fic depict any sort of large scale adoption of electric vehicles like we're seeing in some bits of the world?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-09-12 09:03am The Musk of it all does make me curious. Did that fic depict any sort of large scale adoption of electric vehicles like we're seeing in some bits of the world?
Not at all, I'm pretty sure; the central conceit of the fic is that peak oil screws over the world.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Battlehymn Republic wrote: 2021-12-09 02:51am
Gandalf wrote: 2021-09-12 09:03am The Musk of it all does make me curious. Did that fic depict any sort of large scale adoption of electric vehicles like we're seeing in some bits of the world?
Not at all, I'm pretty sure; the central conceit of the fic is that peak oil screws over the world.
Turns out we're more likely to have a problem with forcing the stuff to stay in the ground rather than running out.

Joining a long tradition of underestimating how well the modern industrial economy adjusts to resource constraints.