Former "Gladiators" Cast Member Jailed For Violent Extortion Plot

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Former "Gladiators" Cast Member Jailed For Violent Extortion Plot

Post by Zaune »

The Indy
Gladiators star Shadow, whose real name is Michael Jefferson King, has been jailed for six years and three months for his role in a blackmail plot.

The 61-year-old threatened to break a man’s legs with a hammer and demanded £1,000 from his ex-wife and brother for his safe return.

Shadow was one of the most popular stars of the hit ITV series, but was axed from the show in 1995 after issues with drug-taking.

The incident happened in March last year when Aaron Ali, 40, was imprisoned at a flat in Acton, west London, a court heard today.

A group, including King, held Mr Ali as part of a sustained six-hour attack in the property.

Mr King admitted two counts of blackmail, as did another defendant, Simon Batson, 39.

Donna Harman, 41, and Otis Noel, 43, were also convicted of false imprisonment and two counts of blackmail.

Judge Fiona Barrie told Isleworth Crown Court: “Mr Ali attended the home of Mr Batson and Ms Harman to share drugs, and all four of the defendants were present at the address eventually.

“He said initially everything was fine but when the drugs ran out the atmosphere changed. He was told to borrow money from his wife to buy more drugs but he refused.

“Then he said the mood became ugly. Within a very short space of time a plan was hatched to extort money from Mr Ali and his family.

“He described during the trial how he was subjected to a sustained and brutal attack which continued over several hours from approximately midday to 9pm that evening.

“He said he was constantly tortured by the group.”

Mr Ali was gagged with a sock that was placed in his mouth and secured with exercise bands bound around his head, as he was repeatedly punched and kicked.

The victim’s ex-wife, Nosheen Zarait, and his brother Tariq Ali were sent videos of him in agony from his own phone and told to pay £1,000 for his safe return.

Prosecutor Keith Hadrill said that at one stage Mr Ali managed to escape but was caught by the three men.

“Mr King was instructing Mr Noel to fetch a hammer so he could break his legs and he would not escape again,” Mr Hadrill told the court.

He added: “A tissue was placed in his mouth, a gag was used, he was hit with a pole, he was smacked across the bridge of the nose [and] he was repeatedly kicked.”

Finally, when Mr Ali’s relatives agreed to hand over the money, he was driven to an exchange area outside a Sainsbury’s store.
Is this newsworthy enough for its own N&P thread as opposed to a post in the Venting thread? I dunno. But I had to say something about it somewhere because I used to really like that show when I was a little kid, and I'm genuinely sad to see the life of one of its cast self-destruct this badly.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Former "Gladiators" Cast Member Jailed For Violent Extortion Plot

Post by Raw Shark »

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug." --Rick James

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I remember when the shit hit the fan at the time, I thought Shadow was axed because it emerged he had been taking steroids? :?:
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-08-28 10:05pm I remember when the shit hit the fan at the time, I thought Shadow was axed because it emerged he had been taking steroids? :?:
I only glanced at his wikipedia page after reading this thread (American Gladiators had a different cast), but it mentions a history of smokin' the crack, which I would speculate is more likely to ignite this kind of dumpster fire than four people gathering to get juiced. Every cop I've ever heard opine on the subject has listed, "Muthafucka smoked our last rock," right up there with, "Found them in bed with my spouse," among the most popular Murder 2 motives.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dude was on the show in the 1990s. How is this even newsworthy? That last thing he did that his Wikipedia page mentions is SPICEWORLD for crying out loud.

The headline should read more like 'old burn out commits crime'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.