Afghanistan: Street fighting rages as Taliban attack key city

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Afghanistan: Street fighting rages as Taliban attack key city

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

This sums it up pretty well. It's pretty much Blair and Bush that did it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

US military airstrike targets Islamic State members in Afghanistan after Kabul attack.
The US military has said it used a drone strike to kill two members of the Islamic State group's Afghanistan affiliate - ISIS-K - on Saturday after the deadly suicide bombing at Kabul airport on Thursday, which killed more than 170 people, including 13 US troops.

One other ISIS target was wounded, US Army Maj. Gen. William "Hank" Taylor said in a Pentagon press conference on Saturday. He said there were no civilian casualties.

Pentagon press secretary John Kirby declined to release names of the ISIS members when asked, but said the United States knew who they were.

Central Command said the drone strike was conducted in Nangahar province against IS members believed to be involved in planning attacks against the United States in Kabul airport.

It wasn’t clear if the targeted individuals were involved directly in the Thursday suicide blast outside the gates of the Kabul airport, where crowds of Afghans were desperately trying to get in as part of the ongoing evacuation.

Although it was initially reported that one person was killed in the air strike, the Pentagon clarified later on Saturday that two ISIS members were killed.

“It was a single mission to get these targets and as the assessments and information flowed over time, we were able to recognize that another was killed as well and one wounded,” Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said at a Defense Department briefing on Saturday.

"They were ISIS-K planners and facilitators and that’s enough reason there alone. I won’t speak to the details of these individuals and what their specific roles might be," Mr Kirby said.

He added: "We have the ability and the means to carry over the horizon counterterrorism capabilities and we’re going to defend ourselves.’’

'We will not forgive, we will not forget, we will hunt you down and make you pay'

US President Joe Biden promised to retaliate for the attack and vowed to strike back against the so-called Islamic State group in a speech on Thursday.

The strike came amid what the White House called indications that IS planned to strike again as the US-led evacuation from Kabul airport moved into its final days. Mr Biden has set Tuesday as his deadline for completing the exit.

Mr Biden authorised the drone strike and it was ordered by Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, a defence official said, speaking on condition of anonymity to provide details not yet publicly announced.

The ISIS-K attack at Kabul airport left 13 US troops dead, including marine Rylee McCollum - who was expecting to become a father in three weeks, young medic Maxton Soviak - his sister says he died helping to save lives, Daegan Page a 23-year-old US Marine Corporal and David Lee Espinoza, a 20-year-old marine.

The speed with which the US military retaliated reflected its close monitoring of IS and years of experience in targeting extremists in remote parts of the world. But it also shows the limits of US power to eliminate extremist threats, which some believe will have more freedom of movement in Afghanistan now that the Taliban is in power.

The airstrike came after Biden declared Thursday that perpetrators of the attack would not be able to hide. “We will hunt you down and make you pay,” he said. Pentagon leaders told reporters Friday that they were prepared for whatever retaliatory action the president ordered.

“We have options there right now,” said Maj. Gen. Hank Taylor of the Pentagon’s Joint Staff.

The president was warned Friday to expect another lethal attack in the closing days of a frantic US-led evacuation. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Biden's national security team offered a grim outlook.

"They advised the president and vice president that another terror attack in Kabul is likely, but that they are taking maximum force protection measures at the Kabul airport,” Ms Psaki said, echoing what the Pentagon has been saying since the bombing Thursday at Kabul airport.

Late Friday, the State Department again urged Americans to stay away from airport gates, including “the New Ministry of Interior gate”.

Few new details about the airport attack emerged a day later, but the Pentagon corrected its initial report that there had been suicide bombings at two locations. It said there was just one — at or near the Abbey Gate — followed by gunfire. The initial report of a second bombing at the nearby Baron Hotel proved to be false, said Maj. Gen. Hank Taylor of the Pentagon's Joint Staff; he attributed the mistake to initial confusion.

Based on a preliminary assessment, US officials believe the suicide vest used in the attack, which killed at least 169 Afghans in addition to the 13 Americans, carried about 25 pounds of explosives and was loaded with shrapnel, a US official said Friday. A suicide bomb typically carries five to 10 pounds of explosives, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss preliminary assessments of the bombing.

Mr Biden still faces the problem over the longer term of containing an array of potential extremist threats based in Afghanistan, which will be harder with fewer US intelligence assets and no military presence in the nation.

Ms Psaki said the next few days of the mission to evacuate Americans and others, including vulnerable Afghans fleeing Taliban rule, “will be the most dangerous period to date”.

The White House said that as of Saturday morning, about 6,800 people were airlifted from Kabul in the past 24 hours on US and coalition aircraft. Nearly 112,000 people have been airlifted over the last two weeks.
Mr Kirby told reporters on Friday the US military is monitoring credible, specific Islamic State threats “in real time”.

“We certainly are prepared and would expect future attempts,” Mr Kirby said.

He declined to describe details of any additional security measures being taken, including those implemented by the Taliban, around the airport gates and perimeter. He said there were fewer people in and around the gates on Friday.
Bloody hell, you know things have gone to shit when the fucking Taliban are the lesser of two evils.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, it's like WWII when we started working with Stalin to defeat the Nazis. (Or, possibly from Stalin's viewpoint, started working with the British and Americans to defeat the Nazis).

ISIS - the terror group other terror groups point to and say "at least we're not at bad as them".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-08-29 04:28am Yeah, it's like WWII when we started working with Stalin to defeat the Nazis. (Or, possibly from Stalin's viewpoint, started working with the British and Americans to defeat the Nazis).

ISIS - the terror group other terror groups point to and say "at least we're not at bad as them".
ISIS is like the bunch of Terrorists group who thinks other terrorists groups aren't "hard enough".

I don't think they're going to be popular enough to gain widespread support.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Terrorists have tried again:
Afghanistan: Child dies after rocket strikes near Kabul airport as US strikes target ISIS-K bombers.
A child has died after a rocket struck a neighbourhood northwest of Kabul's airport as the US reportedly targeted suicide bombers in Afghanistan's capital in an air strike.

It is not immediately clear if the two blasts are linked.

Kabul police chief Rashid said the city's Khuwja Bughra neighborhood was struck by a rocket on Sunday. Video obtained by the Associated Press showed smoke rising from a building around half a mile from Kabul airport.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Sunday a US airstrike targeted a suspected suicide bomber.

The target was thought to be driving a vehicle loaded with explosives and was planning to strike Kabul airport where US evacuations from Afghanistan are continuing, the spokesman said.

Two senior US officials have also said the US carried out a military strike targeted at "multiple suicide bombers" of ISIS-K, the Islamic State group's Afghanistan affiliate.
US Navy Captain Bill Urban, a spokesman for the American military's Central Command, confirmed a US drone strike took place on Sunday and said it was taken in “self defence”.

He said authorities continued “assessing the possibilities of civilian casualties, though we have no indications at this time".

“We are confident we successfully hit the target,” Mr Urban said. “Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material.”

Photos linked to the latest US air strike show a destroyed vehicle outside a house. The house and the trees near it have also been damaged.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Great. We ended one war and now we're starting another with ISIS-K
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-08-29 03:09pm Great. We ended one war and now we're starting another with ISIS-K
If it helps you can think of it as the same conflict with rotating participants, or not so much a conflict as an ongoing stimulus program for groups from arms manufacturers, to politicians who need some extra national security points.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-08-29 06:44pmIf it helps you can think of it as the same conflict with rotating participants, or not so much a conflict as an ongoing stimulus program for groups from arms manufacturers, to politicians who need some extra national security points.
How in the name of hell is that supposed to help?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-08-29 03:09pm Great. We ended one war and now we're starting another with ISIS-K
US is already at war with ISIS.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Zaune wrote: 2021-08-29 08:03pm
Gandalf wrote: 2021-08-29 06:44pmIf it helps you can think of it as the same conflict with rotating participants, or not so much a conflict as an ongoing stimulus program for groups from arms manufacturers, to politicians who need some extra national security points.
How in the name of hell is that supposed to help?
That it's still the same war. Another way to look at it would be like a game of Risk. The participants are still the same, it's just ISIS-K's turn.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-08-28 12:10pm This sums it up pretty well. It's pretty much Blair and Bush that did it.
I couldn't help but laugh when the UK parliament voted to censure Biden for the pull-out. In fact, I laughed so hard that I couldn't pick between two analogies:

a) It's like getting a vote of no confidence from the official fan club of the Pottsville Maroons.

b) It's like being put on DOUBLE-SECRET PROBATION!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ha!

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Elfdart wrote: 2021-09-01 07:40am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-08-28 12:10pm This sums it up pretty well. It's pretty much Blair and Bush that did it.
I couldn't help but laugh when the UK parliament voted to censure Biden for the pull-out. In fact, I laughed so hard that I couldn't pick between two analogies:

a) It's like getting a vote of no confidence from the official fan club of the Pottsville Maroons.

b) It's like being put on DOUBLE-SECRET PROBATION!
It is the official position of parliament that a bigger boy did it and ran away.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

My state of Indiana will be housing Afghan "evacuees" starting later this week at Camp Atterbury, south of the state capital of Indianapolis. More or less in the center of the state. Not sure how many we're getting. Atterbury has long been a training facility for the Indiana Nation Guard, and before that it was an army base. It can accommodate thousands. Arrivals will undergo a medical assessment, after which they will be quarantined at the camp due to covid concerns. After assessment of medical, legal, and other needs refugees will be resettled with the aid of NGO's and community organizations that assist refugees. This is not intended for long-term housing, it's more of an initial destination/assessment which will be followed by getting these people started on a new life in a new country.

Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

The Taliban are claiming to have taken control of Panjshir; though some of Massoud's followers have denied this. There are also reports that Massoud and his remaining followers have gone guerilla.

There is also this article;
In Afghanistan, Islamic State is seeking to exploit divisions within the Taliban
Antonio Giustozzi

Tue 31 Aug 2021 09.00 BST

The attack against Kabul’s airport reminded the world that the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP) remains active in Afghanistan and has not signed any peace deals. The US retaliated with two controversial drone strikes. After these episodes, ISKP may appear to be the most serious challenge to the Taliban right now, but the Taliban’s internal rivalries make it, in many ways, its own worst enemy.

The Taliban may appear powerful, with about 85,000 mobilised fighters, but they are also stretched thin all over Afghanistan, with a large part of their strength committed to securing the cities. This is 10 times the number of fighters who are loyal to ISKP, and maybe 20 times as big as the handful of loosely organised “resistance” militias based in the north-eastern province of Panjshir, who claim to be the main opposition to Taliban rule. But numbers do not tell the whole story. The Taliban have weaknesses that their enemies are seeking to exploit – and the group is showing a distinct lack of effective leadership, with rival leaders split into northern, eastern and southern factions pulling it in different directions.

Taliban fighters are supported by various Pakistani groups, such as the Pakistani Taliban (TTP), Lashkar-e-Taiba and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, although it is likely that the last two will be pulled back into Pakistan. The Taliban can also count on the support of various groups linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, plus other tiny groups, totalling perhaps 20,000 foreign fighters. The loyalty of the foreign jihadists to the southern leadership of the Taliban is rather suspect, as they tend to be closer to the eastern and northern factions.

ISKP is the branch of the Islamic State in Afghanistan and in the tribal areas of Pakistan. It is funded primarily by the leadership of the “caliphate” and its fighting strength in the country is in the range of 5,000 men. By keeping a low profile and focusing on asymmetric tactics, ISKP has been recovering some strength in recent months. And numbers may have been boosted by the release of hundreds of ISKP detainees when the Taliban opened up the prisons in mid-August. Some foreign jihadist groups have close relations to ISKP and might side with it, depending on the circumstances. This is particularly the case of Imam Bukhari Jamaat, which has several hundred fighters from Central Asia, and some smaller groups of Uyghur and of North Caucasus jihadists.

For ISKP, the only possibility of strategic success is splitting the Taliban into rival factions, hoping that one of these factions will then ally with them. ISKP is fully aware of the extent of the current tensions between the Taliban’s leadership in the south and the Taliban networks in the north and in the east. It hopes to drive a wedge between the southern and the eastern Taliban in particular, but it has also relations with the north-eastern Taliban. The main problem facing the Taliban leadership is they don’t have the majority of the manpower, only about 40-45% of their 85,000 number. Sirajuddin Haqqani, the leader of the Haqqani network and deputy of the Quetta Shura, leads the eastern “lobby” and represents around 30-35% of the forces, including some of the north-eastern Taliban, while the northern (Uzbek and Tajik) Taliban account for about 25%.

The ISKP calculus is therefore to make the contradictions between the southern and eastern Taliban explode. Tension was already high, as the proposed cabinet list, completely dominated by southerners, enraged the easterners and northerners. The airport attack only exacerbated the dispute, as the eastern Taliban entered the capital first, creating grievances with the southern leadership who wished to appear in charge of the situation.

Because of the past record of Haqqani collaboration with ISKP, the southern Taliban will now be suspecting the Haqqanis of being involved in the attack. The eastern Taliban threaten to “join ISKP” if their grievances are not addressed, while the southerners respond that “the real Taliban are the southern ones”. The Taliban will indeed need some statesmanship to keep the whole show from unravelling ingloriously fast.

Dr Antonio Giustozzi is senior research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, visiting professor at King’s College London and author of The Taliban at War
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ul-bombing

Statesmanship from the Taliban? Well, stranger things have happened.

From what I understand, the Southern and Eastern factions basically want the same things - Islamism and Pashtun supremacism - but are divided by entrenched management. The Northern faction almost certainly wants Islamism, but almost certainly does not want Pashtun supremacism. And the Southern faction has already been breaking promises on the latter front.

That they've finally attacked Massoud is not all that surprising; they needed to nip him in the bud before he could cause any more trouble. But what interests me in this case is which faction is currently attacking Panjshir. From what I understand of the geography, Panjshir is in the Eastern faction's stomping ground, and the main focus has been in the south of the province; which suggests that the Eastern faction are doing all or most of the work. High casualties would be in the Southern faction's interest; though the East didn't have much choice, as they couldn't just leave Massoud to his own devices.

And yes, ISK's interest is obvious here; split the Taliban and pick a winner. But which one?

As I see it, it depends on how well the southern leadership can balance moderate and hardline goals. They need to compromise on Taliban ideals in order to build a stable, broad-based government that China will want to invest in; but doing so risks defections to the Eastern faction and the ISK. At the very least, China will want the foreign fighters suppressed; so any sign of getting too close to China risks driving said fighters towards the Eastern or Northern factions. The Southern leadership may end up trying to please everyone, and end up pleasing no one.

Thus, the dilemma. If the Southern faction plays the Pashtun nationalist card for all it's worth, they can boost grassroots support among Pashtuns. But if they do, they annoy the Northern faction and drive the ISK and foreign fighters to the Eastern faction. Also, they risk alienating Pakistan to the Eastern faction's profit; and China will probably not be impressed.

In that respect, Pashtun nationalism is something of a monkey's paw. But if may be all the Southern faction has to work with.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Afghanistan's women journalists, doctors and lawyers reveal reality of life under Taliban
Women in Afghanistan who worked as journalists, doctors, lawyers and civil servants have spoken of losing their dreams, freedom and independence after the Taliban took over the country.

One month after the nation's capital, Kabul, fell to the hands of the insurgents, the women who vanished from offices and TV screens have told ITV News about the reality of life under the Taliban.

Many remain hidden, but a brave few from across the country have chosen to speak out about their plight. All the women who spoke to us have been kept anonymous for their safety.

One TV reporter who used to work out in the field said Taliban fighters prevented her from entering her office building on the second day they came to power. She was told she was not allowed to continue her work as a journalist.

She said: "The first day that they came to power, they announced that there would be no discrimination against women and women would be allowed to continue their work and their jobs. Unfortunately, the Taliban did not fulfil any of their promises.

"Right now, I stay at home and I am totally sad and depressed because I cannot continue my job as a journalist. In these days I am always thinking about how I can save my life."

Another, who held a senior government role, described the hopelessness of only being able to sit at home and watch a "government of masculinity".

She said the Taliban had announced they "no longer have trust in (women's) capabilities" to work.

She said while men still retain their freedoms, "women are actually left vulnerable. Women are actually left helpless".

She continued: "And in order to receive back all those achievements that we achieved until August 15, we need support.

"We need the whole world to hear our voices and to work with us together to convince the Taliban to let us go back to work."

A women's organisation director, who used to campaign against violence against women, has now fallen victim to it herself.

She told ITV News: "Helping was giving me a meaning for life.

She continued: "Now, nothing. We are nothing. And we have nothing now."

Speaking about what she missed most, she said: "Having salary, having a normal life, shopping, going out of and going in other cities, travelling, having plans, having goals are the amazing things of life. We'll miss it in Afghanistan now."

She said "the most precious thing" was her ability to help others, and without that, she said she feels like she is "suffocating".

But she says she more worried about losing her loved ones than dying herself.

A lawyer who headed her own firm said she used to defend people's rights, especially that of women. She even set up her own charity to help those who were deprived.

Now, she says, she cannot even go out of her home. And the one time she did because of a toothache, she went to the doctors dressed completely in black and "with fear".

She said: "I loved my job very much, I loved my job and now I cannot work and I even lost my personal freedoms. I can no longer even cover my clothes to my liking.

"These are painful for me.

The lawyer has her own traumatic experience from the first Taliban rule which hasn’t left her.

"Although I was a seven-year-old child, I went to buy bread one day when a group of Taliban beat me for covering my appearance, which I still feel.

"I do not want a seven-year-old girl to experience this pain again. Our future is very uncertain."

The Taliban have let one group of women continue to work - doctors and medical staff - but only if they cover up completely and even these women face a huge challenge.

But the lawyer says one of her sisters, who is a doctor, is at home out of fear due to being forcibly taken away by the Taliban several times to treat their patients.

Another doctor explained there were issues with pay: "We used to have our salaries paid on time, access to the right equipment and medications. In the space one month this has all been changed.

"Our funds and salaries have all stopped. My children's future has been ruined; they can no longer access the right education."

Despite the risks, one activist is continuing to protest for women's rights.

She said: "Our elite women folks are missing, they are not seen in offices, on TV screens and this is due to the fear they have for their lives. This is a big loss and concern for us.

"Previously we had a large number of women government employees and in leadership positions, now they are all at home or in self-exile."

Women in Afghanistan have taken to the streets of the capital in recent weeks, protesting against the Taliban.

Taliban fighters have turned on the demonstrators, however, with shots fired into the air to disperse the crowds.

On social media women are campaigning too - the hashtag #DoNotTouchMyClothes is an online campaign from Afghan women around the world, sharing photos of themselves in traditional colourful clothing.

The women we spoke to says more is needed, though, and called on the wider world for help.

Pakistani female education activist Malala Yousafzai told CBS News this week the US has a "huge responsibility" to the women of Afghanistan who lost their freedoms after the Taliban took over following the withdrawal of US troops.

She urged US President Joe Biden to "stand up and support the rights of women in Afghanistan and stand up for girls education".
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

She said the Taliban had announced they "no longer have trust in (women's) capabilities" to work.
The Taliban never had any such trust.

The only women the Taliban are going to allow to work in any capacity are medical workers, and even there there will be all sorts of restrictions and problems.
"We need the whole world to hear our voices and to work with us together to convince the Taliban to let us go back to work."
Unfortunately, based on all of history up to the present, I don't think "the whole world" gives much of a damn about people in other countries, much less women in other countries. A lot of people have no problem with exploiting other people, especially if profit is involved but it happens even when money isn't involved.

Yeah, I'm cynical about this.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Also, the Taliban won't give a shit what the rest of the world thinks. They know, and they are used to dealing with black market dealers, and the kind of people that don't give a shit who they do business with. They'll just continue on like that, and not care.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-09-17 11:05am Also, the Taliban won't give a shit what the rest of the world thinks. They know, and they are used to dealing with black market dealers, and the kind of people that don't give a shit who they do business with. They'll just continue on like that, and not care.
It's fine to not give a shit when you're an insurgency and your only concern with money is to have enough to feed and arm your fighters.

It's another thing to run a country. Running a country is much more expensive. Donations that are enough to run a militia is not enough to run an entire goverment and civil service and all the other stuff needed to keep a society functioning.

The US paid for all the essential services that the Taliban aren't running. The Taliban now needs to convince the international body to spend/ invest the same amount of money the US did.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

While I very much suspect you're right I'm not so sure the Taliban 'realize' that
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Batman wrote: 2021-09-17 07:33pm While I very much suspect you're right I'm not so sure the Taliban 'realize' that
If they don't they soon will once the rest of the world refuse to give the Taliban they aid they are now demanding. And it does depend on how willing and how much money China is willing to invest in Afghanistan.

Even if China does offer aid and money to them, I doubt it will actually be enough. The country simply does not offer that much value to China.

As for women rights in the place, it's up to the women and their supporters within the country to change their societal mindset. Having international support don't mean much if social forces within the country prevents women from having any rights.

They need to make sure their husbands, brothers and fathers feels angry enough about denying opportunities to them if women rights is to stay around in the country
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

All true.

However, the Taliban didn't give a shit about any of that the first time they ran Afganistan, why would they now?

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Solauren wrote: 2021-09-17 11:05am Also, the Taliban won't give a shit what the rest of the world thinks. They know, and they are used to dealing with black market dealers, and the kind of people that don't give a shit who they do business with. They'll just continue on like that, and not care.
A lot of Afghanistan's cash is held overseas, and the IMF has frozen their accounts because they don't recognise the Taliban as legitimate.

The Taliban need the IMF on side in order to be able to get that cash to pay their trading partners, stabilise the economy, and keep enough people on side at home. Because Blinken (I think?) said the Taliban need to earn their legitimacy, there's likely to be some back and forth before some assets are unfrozen.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-09-18 11:37am All true.

However, the Taliban didn't give a shit about any of that the first time they ran Afganistan, why would they now?
Because the population has grown a lot bigger. Running a government is going to be even more expensive than last time.