Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh dies aged 99

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh dies aged 99

Post by Gandalf »

As a counterpoint to the wank that I keep seeing from the BBC et al, here's something from the Guardian. I bolded my favourite bit.
Afua Hirsch wrote:Within minutes of Prince Philip’s death having been announced, I began receiving messages from friends in Ghana. “My sincere condolences for your loss,” one said. “May God bless you and everyone in the UK who is grieving,” said another. On a human level, acknowledging respectfully the loss that comes with death makes sense. But why did these messages describe it as my loss?

I am not alone in feeling that the monarchy is an institution that cannot be embraced – although even now, it is not easy to say so. If I fail to express my deference and loyalty, I will be viciously attacked by those who regard me as unpatriotic. I will be the bad Black person, the ungrateful “guest” (never mind that this is my country), the disloyal colonial subject who forgot how much Britain did for me.

The public reaction to Prince Philip’s death has centred on how much he, personally, has done. By all accounts he was the most active member of the royal family, having conducted, apparently, more than 20,000 engagements, and holding more than 800 presidencies and patronages. Many young people benefited from the Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme.

But these acts of public service come with strings attached. We become complicit in a toxic transaction that, in exchange for their privileges, deprives the royals of their privacy or control over their own destinies, and entitles us to endless and poisonous coverage of the minutiae of their lives.

On our side of the bargain, we abandon our supposed commitment to meritocracy and equality by accepting that these human beings are born deserving of special reverence. We receive access to their charity, but in return we lose our freedom to challenge their authority. The royals’ good deeds and charitable endeavours are not in themselves a justification for the monarchy.

The truth is that there is no escaping the haunting legacy of empire. Its ghosts have long taken possession of our royal family, turning them into emperors without colonies, bounty hoarders without raids, conquerers without wars. Instead, they are the heads of a Commonwealth in which the colonised are rebranded “friends” with “a shared history”. This is fantasy stuff.

As is the idea – ludicrously popular in tributes to Prince Philip – that he was some kind of frustrated comedian. We have all by now been reminded of his famous remarks: telling the Nigerian president, Olusegun Obasanjo, who was wearing national dress, “You look like you’re ready for bed”; or advising British students in China not to stay too long or they would end up with “slitty eyes”. A Black British, Cambridge-educated friend of mine received a classic Prince Philip “compliment” when she met him: “You speak English beautifully!” he said.

In the past few days we’ve heard numerous euphemisms deployed to cover these outbursts without calling them what they were. “His ‘gaffes’ were typical of the clubbish humour of the officer class.” He was “politically incorrect”, and “blunt”. Nobody likes to speak ill of the dead, but these are not excuses for Philip so much as alibis for British commentators, desperate to avoid confronting the real legacy of British imperial expansion: racism. A dirty word that inconveniently undermines the glorious narrative the royals still help project. The colonisation of “lesser peoples” was by definition a project of white supremacy, and one personified by the royal family at the head of the empire: of course he made racist jokes.

If calling Prince Philip “a man of his time” is an admission that the royals exist in something of a time capsule, then I have to agree. The institution is, as the experience of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex has made clear, outdated.

Both Meghan’s presence and the racist press treatment to which she was subjected offered the monarchy a unique opportunity to embrace a woman of African heritage, acknowledge its complicated relationship with this heritage in the past, and at least appear committed to a new era of equality. It could not have failed the test more dramatically.

Meanwhile, Britain’s honours system continues to glorify the pain felt by survivors of colonialism and their descendants. This system – which, two generations on from Prince Philip is still being actively promoted – rewards British people for their achievements on remarkable terms. It asks us to aspire to see ourselves as “Members”, “Officers” or even “Commanders” of the British Empire – a painful act of betrayal to our histories.

For those who object to projecting this painful history on to a single, recently deceased old man, this is the very problem with the concept of monarchy. Of course there is an individual analysis, in which Prince Philip was a fascinating historical actor whose passing points towards the end of an era. His childhood was shaped by the collapse of the Ottoman empire. His body carried the genetic memory of the Bolshevik revolution and its fatal consequences for the Romanovs: in 1993, his DNA was used to identify their remains.

Philip’s marriage to the Queen is a legacy of Queen Victoria’s project to unite Europe through dynastic marriages, based on a deep appreciation of the need for peace on the continent. It’s a virtuous ideal with much to offer the very same people most noisily prostrating themselves before the royals, if they actually cared to learn.

But our personal relationships with the monarchy cannot exist in a vacuum. Before expressing any fondness for the royals, I have to ask myself, am I subconsciously seeking the approval of the predominantly white society that rewards particular Black people for showing their allegiance?

Am I threatened by the penalties for not engaging in this period of forced mourning? Many TV journalists like me are, after all, at the mercy of a governing party that has made clear its willingness to upbraid broadcasters who do not appear sufficiently patriotic.

Above all, the unspoken requirement for us to publicly celebrate the monarchy’s gains – or mourn any of its losses – demands that I internalise a history of violence and racism against my own ancestors. The instinct I still feel to apologise for not doing so is evidence of how strongly those forces still exist. So if there is a fitting tribute to the passing of Prince Philip, I believe it would be to learn – with honesty – the lessons from both his life and the reaction to his death.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Local news asked kindergarteners what they thought of prince phillip dying. One of the girls thought she could just get a new man. Or a hamster.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2021-04-16 08:23am Local news asked kindergarteners what they thought of prince phillip dying. One of the girls thought she could just get a new man. Or a hamster.
I don't know why, but I burst out laughing reading that last part.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Well the funeral took place yesterday and the weather could not have been better, which is not something you can normally say about the UK! :mrgreen:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I watched most of the funeral tonight after work. My goodness, Britain has the same sort of droning, blithering talking media heads we do!

No one does pomp and circumstance like the British.

Not a fan of Phillip, myself, but I have sympathy for the family who have suffered a loss.

I expect QE2 hasn't that many more years herself. I expect her funeral will be something else entirely....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Giving me north korea vibes personally
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Broomstick wrote: 2021-04-18 08:16pm I watched most of the funeral tonight after work. My goodness, Britain has the same sort of droning, blithering talking media heads we do!

No one does pomp and circumstance like the British.

Not a fan of Phillip, myself, but I have sympathy for the family who have suffered a loss.

I expect QE2 hasn't that many more years herself. I expect her funeral will be something else entirely....
She's currently the 4th longest-reigning monarch, in one year she will reach no. 3 and another three to overtake Louis XIV.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Definitely possible. She's old but so far as I know she's healthy for her age. Didn't her mother make it to 101?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-04-23 06:38pm Definitely possible. She's old but so far as I know she's healthy for her age. Didn't her mother make it to 101?
something like that and women of her line have history of being long lived, Victoria lived from 1819 until 1901 and that was during an era of much worse healthcare (yes I know Victoria was technically of the House of Hanover, but Elizabeth is her direct descendant and the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha which was the House of Victoria's husband and children renamed itself to "Winsor" during World War I).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

On the other hand her father worked himself to death at 56.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Heavy smoking and lung cancer were probably much more significant factors than his work load.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

How could they tell?
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Elfdart wrote: 2021-04-26 04:21am How could they tell?
I believe George VI had at least one lung removed because of how cancerous it had gotten; that implies it was pretty damn severe and I'm inclined to think THAT'S what killed the guy. Overworking didn't help but when in doubt I think I'll blame the cancer.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-04-26 06:20am
Elfdart wrote: 2021-04-26 04:21am How could they tell?
I believe George VI had at least one lung removed because of how cancerous it had gotten; that implies it was pretty damn severe and I'm inclined to think THAT'S what killed the guy. Overworking didn't help but when in doubt I think I'll blame the cancer.
As well as the stress of World War 2 he also had other health problems caused by smoking, including arteriosclerosis and Buerger's disease. He actually died of coronary thrombosis at 56.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Just a note: Buerger's disease is associated with tobacco use. You know - smoking.

His declining health certainly made his workload more onerous, but it's pretty clear it's the cancer and heart disease, both linked to a heavy smoking habit, that killed him and not "overwork".

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-04-26 11:05amHis declining health certainly made his workload more onerous, but it's pretty clear it's the cancer and heart disease, both linked to a heavy smoking habit, that killed him and not "overwork".
I doubt having a job he never wanted and never expected dumped in his lap, or leading the country through a world war, helped his heart or reduced the number of fags he was going through per day.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I suspect that it might have been a combination of multiple things that caused George VI to die so young rather then us being able to point to single clear cause. Like Seafort said having to deal with a job originally meant for his older brother and having to deal with the stress of World War II contributed both directly (due to the stress lowering his immunity) and in-directly by the stress making him smoke more (as I assume that Captain Seafort is talking about that kind of fags).

Kind of how my paternal uncle technically died of a stroke but his alcoholism most likely contributed heavily at him getting a stroke in his 30s (or maybe 40s) I honestly can't remember how old he was because he literally died before I was born (by about 2 years).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Broomstick wrote: 2021-04-26 11:05am Just a note: Buerger's disease is associated with tobacco use. You know - smoking.
Which I said:
As well as the stress of World War 2 he also had other health problems caused by smoking, including arteriosclerosis and Buerger's disease. He actually died of coronary thrombosis at 56.