Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh dies aged 99

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh dies aged 99

Post by Crazedwraith »

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
Breaking news. Not exactly surprising at that age but well can't help but think Elizabeth herself won't last much longer either. :(
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh dies aged 99

Post by Gandalf »

I can't wait to see the hagiography in the coming days, using every euphemism to avoid calling him the piece of shit that he was.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

'Controversial' is the current term so far. :lol:
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Somebody tripped and splashed a little holy water on him which finally drove out the daemons which had been keeping his mortal form alive these past couple of decades.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Daemons are to mercenary to be the culprits, and Demons to chaotic.

My theory is one of the mid to high CR devils
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-04-09 08:45am I can't wait to see the hagiography in the coming days, using every euphemism to avoid calling him the piece of shit that he was.
Dude, really? :wtf: :?
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I shook hands with him once while I was doing my doctorate, he pointed out that the work I was doing to reduce human and domesticated animal infection by insect born tryptanomisis would result in more of the bush being cleared for farming, which was a fair enough point.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-04-09 12:38pmDude, really? :wtf: :?
Not surprising - there will always be a few jealous dipshits who wish they were half as great and good as he was.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

RIP.

I know HRM feels right now. Half of herself is gone. Her rock.
I wonder if she'll abdicate now.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-04-09 02:01pmI wonder if she'll abdicate now.
I'd be astonished if she does. If there's one word that defines Her Majesty, as it defined him, it's duty. Besides which, abdication is word most closely associated with her uncle, which would probably be enough to dismiss the concept on its own.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-04-09 08:45am I can't wait to see the hagiography in the coming days, using every euphemism to avoid calling him the piece of shit that he was.
The guy was a jackass but in general it's poor form to speak ill of the dead. If what Harry and Meghan are saying he was actually one of the few royals who was nice to them so he did have good qualities.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-04-09 02:53pm
The guy was a jackass but in general it's poor form to speak ill of the dead. If what Harry and Meghan are saying he was actually one of the few royals who was nice to them so he did have good qualities.
The dead aren't going to rise from their graves to come after you for insulting them. IMO, if someone was fair game in life they are fair game in death. Whitewashing someone's bullshit just because they recently passed is no better than whitewashing ever is.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Some people deserve the insults after death more. I certainly think Rush Limbaugh is a piece of shit in death as he was in life; some out of touch old aristocrat who basically served as a ceremonial role is less deserving of bile in my mind than say Rush Limbaugh or Andrew Breitbart.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Maybe. Or maybe Gandalf knows something about Prince Philip that you don't, and saying that you shouldn't speak ill of the dead in general is missing an opportunity to learn something new. That's why the general principle is actually bullshit (especially when discussing public figures), and the fact that it literally comes from ancient superstitions should also be acknowledged so people understand just how silly it really is.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

He was an old curmudgeon with no verbal filter to speak of, but that happens to people at his time of life.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

He only lived to the age he did because he was born into a family made wealthy by exploiting generations of people going back literal centuries. It doesn't matter how benign the role of the royals is now as the fact is that they're evil simply for hoarding as much wealth as they have even if they never do a single other questionable act. The same would go for a trust fund billionaire who never exploits anybody for their wealth but who also does nothing to redistribute it either. Evil through the perpetuation of a soul-crushing status quo is still evil.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

You do know a good portion of the 'Royal Families Wealth' is actually held in trust?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2021-04-09 07:05pmYou do know a good portion of the 'Royal Families Wealth' is actually held in trust?
How much of it has been returned to the lands it was plundered from? Why hasn't the Queen written a decree to return stolen artifacts rotting in Uk museums to their rightful owners? The monarchy is still evil because they refuse to use the majority of their very real power and wealth to do good.

Also:

"In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation."

He didn't want to invest any of the royal family's wealth towards the cause, he just wished a bunch of poor people would die so he didn't have to worry.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Jub wrote: 2021-04-09 08:20pm
Solauren wrote: 2021-04-09 07:05pmYou do know a good portion of the 'Royal Families Wealth' is actually held in trust?
How much of it has been returned to the lands it was plundered from? Why hasn't the Queen written a decree to return stolen artifacts rotting in Uk museums to their rightful owners? The monarchy is still evil because they refuse to use the majority of their very real power and wealth to do good.
Are you going to quantify any of that?
Also:

"In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation."

He didn't want to invest any of the royal family's wealth towards the cause, he just wished a bunch of poor people would die so he didn't have to worry.
Well we did get COVID-19, no reincarnation necessary! :roll:

So how does his statement from decades ago equate to wishing death on poor people?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-04-09 10:02pmAre you going to quantify any of that?
Is it disputed that the royal family gained at least some of their wealth via exploiting their colonial holdings? How about that the notion of places like museums and zoos started with private collections? If you aren't going to dispute those points why do I need to explain the need for the royals to give that shit back to the people they stole it from?
So how does his statement from decades ago equate to wishing death on poor people?
In the '80s which nations were people worrying about in terms of population growth? India, China, Africa... nations far less prosperous than the UK at the time. Furthermore, who's at the greatest risk of dying due to infectious disease? The poor! I could go further and point out how health and wealth strongly correlate or that most people don't think of their own class when thinking of abstract concepts like overpopulation but fuck that. You don't deserve it and neither does the royal stiff.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2021-04-09 01:38pm
Not surprising - there will always be a few jealous dipshits who wish they were half as great and good as he was.
Jealous of what? Being the kind of guy who if he wasn't a royal would be the kind of person you'd avoid at the pub? Fuck him and the rest of the British Kardashians.
Darth Yan wrote: 2021-04-09 02:53pmThe guy was a jackass but in general it's poor form to speak ill of the dead.
Hitler: Good or bad? Remember that it's poor form to speak I'll of the dead.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Jub wrote: 2021-04-09 08:20pm "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation."

Prince Philip: The original Thanos. :P

Though to be fair, Thanos wasn't a racist piece of shit that I can recall.

- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-04-09 11:50pm
Captain Seafort wrote: 2021-04-09 01:38pm
Jealous of what? Being the kind of guy who if he wasn't a royal would be the kind of person you'd avoid at the pub? Fuck him and the rest of the British Kardashians.
Darth Yan wrote: 2021-04-09 02:53pmThe guy was a jackass but in general it's poor form to speak ill of the dead.
Hitler: Good or bad? Remember that it's poor form to speak I'll of the dead.
Already clarified. GENERALLY it's poor form but some people are harmful enough that you can freely insult them. Hitler's one. Phillip was just some dumb aristocrat who wielded no power so in my mind it's just not worth it (by contrast I was happy when Antonin Scalia and Rush Limbaugh died); hell I'll cheer when Donald Trump dies.

An old aristocrat who doesn't really do anything? Yeah, not worth the effort.
Gandalf wrote: 2021-04-09 11:55pm
Jub wrote: 2021-04-09 08:20pm "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation."

Prince Philip: The original Thanos. :P

Though to be fair, Thanos wasn't a racist piece of shit that I can recall.
Just an ELITIST piece of shit
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Gandalf wrote: 2021-04-09 11:50pmJealous of what? Being the kind of guy who if he wasn't a royal would be the kind of person you'd avoid at the pub?
Of being the kind of guy you'd want to meet in the pub. The kind of guy who was banging on about CO2 emissions and global warming in the 50s. The kind of guy who was worried about teenagers ending up with a criminal record because of the aggro they were causing out of boredom so he set up the DofE Award. The kind of guy who fought all the way through the war. The kind of guy who was meant to be having lunch with the CO of a Royal Marine Commando in Norway but failed to show up because he'd either brought or borrowed a mess tin and diggers and was eating with and talking to a pair of corporals because he wanted to understand as best he could the perspective from the bottom as well as the top.

That's what you're jealous of. You wouldn't be spouting off like an idiot if you weren't.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Jub wrote: 2021-04-09 08:20pm
Her Royal Majesty is not allowed voice an opinion on, or do anything political.
Returning them to their rightful owners is seen as political.
Therefore, she can't do shit about it.
Jub wrote: 2021-04-09 08:20pm Also:

I'm not defending him, and you 'moved the goal posts' as it concerns a specific point on the Royal Families 'wealth'.