New law will fine stores for separating toys by gender

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

New law will fine stores for separating toys by gender

Post by Sidewinder »

From Fox Business, Published February 25, 2021
California law would fine department stores $1,000 for separating toys by gender

Many toymakers have been updating their classic brands in recent years

By Bradford Betz

California lawmakers are considering a bill that would penalize department stores for separating children’s toys, clothing and other items by gender.

Under CA AB2826 (19R), introduced by Assemblyman Evan Low, D-Campbell, department stores with 500 or more employees would be subject to a $1,000 fine if they do not “correct a violation of these provisions within 30 days of receiving written notice of the violation.”

Stores would not have to change their products, but the products could not be displayed based on how they have “traditionally been marketed for either girls or for boys.”

Low, who originally introduced the bill last year, said he conceived of the idea from one of his staffers, who claimed her daughter had asked her why an item she supposedly wanted was in the boys’ section.

“This is an issue of children being able to express themselves without bias,” Low told Politico last week.

The bill comes amid growing pushback by consumer advocacy groups to make toys more gender neutral. The UK-based group “Let Toys Be Toys,” for example, argues that marketing toys and books to a specific gender promotes stereotypes and is harmful to kids.

Many toymakers have been updating their classic brands in recent years, hoping to relate to today's kids and reflect more modern families.

Hasbro, the company that's made the potato-shaped plastic toy for nearly 70 years, announced this week it is giving the “Mr.” Potato Head a gender-neutral new name: Potato Head. The change will appear on boxes this year.

Barbie, for example, has tried to shed its blonde image and now comes in multiple skin tones and body shapes. The Thomas the Tank Engine toy line added more girl characters. And American Girl is now selling a boy doll.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Does anyone see a point in such a punitive law, when the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated the US economy?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: New law will fine stores for separating toys by gender

Post by Raw Shark »

Sidewinder wrote: 2021-02-26 12:58pmDoes anyone see a point in such a punitive law, when the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated the US economy?
I think the fine is an overkill tactic where public shaming would probably be sufficient, coupled with good business sense - why discourage any kid from begging for any toy if your goal is to sell lots of toys?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

How is the law punitive? It only requires stores to update their layouts - something they do on a regular basis anyway - and gives 30 days from the time of a complaint to address the issue. This law is at best a firm guiding hand to get companies to stop promoting harmful gender stereotypes and each fine is so small that any company it applies to will care more about the bad press of getting fine more than the fine itself.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Still less petty than the average bathroom bill.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Raw Shark wrote: 2021-02-26 01:38pm I think the fine is an overkill tactic where public shaming would probably be sufficient, coupled with good business sense - why discourage any kid from begging for any toy if your goal is to sell lots of toys?
THIS.

When I was younger, I used to play My Little Pony/Strawberry Shortcake with my sister. I remember Fyrefly was my favourite. Go pink pegasus!
(She used to play Transformers/Star Wars/GI JOE with me and my friends).
If I could have gotten my own Pony, I probably would have.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

J.C. Penny, Lord & Taylor and Neiman Marcus all went bankrupt last year. Sears went through Chapter 11 in 2019 and is still losing stores (down to 29 and falling). Macy's closed half their stores, likely that won't be enough to save them. Give it a few more years and there won't be any 'department stores' left for this law to apply to.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Starglider wrote: 2021-02-26 07:17pm J.C. Penny, Lord & Taylor and Neiman Marcus all went bankrupt last year. Sears went through Chapter 11 in 2019 and is still losing stores (down to 29 and falling). Macy's closed half their stores, likely that won't be enough to save them. Give it a few more years and there won't be any 'department stores' left for this law to apply to.
Walmart will be the only store left by the time all this covid shit is over.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Sidewinder wrote: 2021-02-26 12:58pm Does anyone see a point in such a punitive law, when the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated the US economy?
How does CoVID enter into this?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Avrjoe
Redshirt

Post by Avrjoe »

Wal-Mart sells groceries and has a pharmacy. Grocery and pharmacy stores are on the list for being essential. Therefore Wal-Mart is essential. Where by Wal-Mart by being open keeps it's General Merchandise aisles open. Thus keeps selling the same items as stores not allowed to operate because they only sell one type of item. Other stores close down Wal-Mart makes record profit.

Also anytime there is a economic downturn Wal-Mart boosts due to people shopping for bargains, but only if it doesn't last too long. To hard a downturn and dollar stores starts to pick up and Wal-Mart dips.
I used to be Median but life has made me Mean.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'd say a 500+ employee setup that's reeling from a 1000$ fine is in pretty deep doo-doo as it is
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-26 10:32pm
Sidewinder wrote: 2021-02-26 12:58pm Does anyone see a point in such a punitive law, when the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated the US economy?
Closing down "nonessential" businesses to enforce the quarantine, has devastated the US economy. Many will never reopen. With so many businesses closed, the US government will collect far less tax revenue, meaning it cannot support many social and public works programs.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Interesting idea. Not sure how much it'd help, but not seeing how it would hurt in any significant way and I'm not particularly concerned with the feelings of people who are somehow threatened by it, so if it passes it'll be good to see what comes of it.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Have you ever heard of the "pink tax" ?

If the stores can't separate the toys by gender, then they are going to have a hard time charging more for toys aimed at girls.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Sidewinder wrote: 2021-02-27 01:41am
Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-26 10:32pm
Closing down "nonessential" businesses to enforce the quarantine, has devastated the US economy. Many will never reopen. With so many businesses closed, the US government will collect far less tax revenue, meaning it cannot support many social and public works programs.
How many businesses will this close down, in your opinion?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Starglider wrote: 2021-02-27 04:39amBetter ban 'Gi..rl toys' and 'bo..y toys' from autocompleting on Amazon.

Seriously this reminds me of a couple of times recently that lib arts departments tried to ban pronouns and have everyone called 'they/them'. The trans lobby objected furiously, because then how were you supposed to know who is trans and who isn't. Mermaids et al claim that one of the key identifiers of 'trans kids' is 'playing with toys for the other gender' (absolute silence from the libleft on that one). How on earth will they know who to inject with puberty blockers if everything is genderless? (The answer, of course, is to inject everyone, just to be safe)
It's more likely "the trans lobby" objected furiously on the grounds that dictating terms to someone else about what pronouns they get to use is still Not Cricket if you're doing it out of a misguided desire for equality through erasure, and the fact it must make the SCUM Manifesto brigade's piss boil does not constitute an excuse.

And if puberty blockers didn't have some potentially unpleasant side effects (although not as severe as certain interests would have you believe) I would say why the hell not? Most kids will probably choose the gender that matches their primary sexual characteristics, but doing some introspection on the subject of whether that's what they actually want cannot possibly do any harm.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote: 2021-02-27 06:25am It's more likely "the trans lobby" objected furiously on the grounds that dictating terms to someone else about what pronouns they get to use is still Not Cricket if you're doing it out of a misguided desire for equality through erasure, and the fact it must make the SCUM Manifesto brigade's piss boil does not constitute an excuse.
Depends on whether they applied it specific people instead of using they/them as the default when referring to students or faculty members in general. I remember reading about a university in Germany that decided to default to female pronouns and whatever the feminine version of professor in German is because the majority of their faculty members were women. And holy god did it piss off the male faculty.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

My biggest concern with this law is for companies that choose to store toys by brand, and it ends up looking like it was sorted by gender, because of what sells from which brand/group of brands. (With most popular brands closest to the main store, with less popular in the back)

i.e all the Disney stuff that sells are traditionally 'Boy brands', like Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers are up front, while less popular brands are further back.
i.e all the Matel stuff that sells is traditionally 'Girl Brands', like Barbie, Polly Pocket are up front, while less popular brands (like Hot Wheels) are towards the back.

And how would people screaming about gendor ID/roles respond to 'Well, guess what, this is what sells'.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 04:30pm My biggest concern with this law is for companies that choose to store toys by brand, and it ends up looking like it was sorted by gender, because of what sells from which brand/group of brands. (With most popular brands closest to the main store, with less popular in the back)

i.e all the Disney stuff that sells are traditionally 'Boy brands', like Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers are up front, while less popular brands are further back.
i.e all the Matel stuff that sells is traditionally 'Girl Brands', like Barbie, Polly Pocket are up front, while less popular brands (like Hot Wheels) are towards the back.

And how would people screaming about gendor ID/roles respond to 'Well, guess what, this is what sells'.
Just Make sure Disney and Mattel's toys end up in the same 'Figurines' section and I can't see where there are any grounds for action.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Disney may not want their stuff in the same isle as Mattel, and vice-versa.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 04:59pm Disney may not want their stuff in the same isle as Mattel, and vice-versa.
Too bad for them. Point to the law and set your shelves.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Post by Starglider deleted pending review
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Jub wrote: 2021-02-27 05:04pm
Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 04:59pm Disney may not want their stuff in the same isle as Mattel, and vice-versa.
You could also make the argument that since it's by manufacturer, and the toys are beside each other, then there is no 'gender division'. It's by sub-brand of the manufacturer, and people are projecting. (for example, you can't really argue 'toy Cars' are a boys toy', without implying girls can't have an interest in cars.)

Therefore, since it's not a 'boys toy isle', the law is being followed.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 04:30pm My biggest concern with this law is for companies that choose to store toys by brand, and it ends up looking like it was sorted by gender, because of what sells from which brand/group of brands. (With most popular brands closest to the main store, with less popular in the back)

Have you read the proposed bill?
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 04:30pm And how would people screaming about gendor ID/roles respond to 'Well, guess what, this is what sells'.
"Not anymore it isn't."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 09:38pm
Jub wrote: 2021-02-27 05:04pm
You could also make the argument that since it's by manufacturer, and the toys are beside each other, then there is no 'gender division'. It's by sub-brand of the manufacturer, and people are projecting. (for example, you can't really argue 'toy Cars' are a boys toy', without implying girls can't have an interest in cars.)

Therefore, since it's not a 'boys toy isle', the law is being followed.
Sorting the store by brand means you'll get customers who know that the kid they are buying for wants a specific toy because the kid specified it without mentioning the brand. Lets say it's a specific toy car. Then they have to go through every brand section to see if that brand has toy cars, looking to see if this is the brand that has it. That's going to lead to annoyed customers and reduced sales compared to putting all the toy cars in one place.

Just make sure that if there is any type of toy that gets split by gender that they merge those sections and the store should be in compliance.