New law will fine stores for separating toys by gender

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: New law will fine stores for separating toys by gender

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2021-02-27 10:33pm
Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 04:30pm And how would people screaming about gendor ID/roles respond to 'Well, guess what, this is what sells'.
"Not anymore it isn't."
Bullshit.

In my experience, anything involving 'gendor politics', most people don't give a crap. It's only a very small, and vocal minority, that scream about it. And it's usually people younger then their late 20s that do it. They're also usually either people that are not employed/with nothing else to do, or ones that are going with 'the trends'.

The people I know with gender issues (pre or post-opt) roll their eyes at stuff like this, or complain about how the 'posers' are making them look bad.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-28 01:22pm Bullshit.

In my experience, anything involving 'gendor politics', most people don't give a crap. It's only a very small, and vocal minority, that scream about it. And it's usually people younger then their late 20s that do it. They're also usually either people that are not employed/with nothing else to do, or ones that are going with 'the trends'.

The people I know with gender issues (pre or post-opt) roll their eyes at stuff like this, or complain about how the 'posers' are making them look bad.
Where are you situated societally that you can cite your experience as authoritative in such areas?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-28 01:22pm
Solauren wrote: 2021-02-27 04:30pm And how would people screaming about gendor ID/roles respond to 'Well, guess what, this is what sells'.
"Not anymore it isn't."
Bullshit.

So why'd you ask in the first place, dumbass?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Because I was hoping for intellectual discussion on the ins and outs of enforcing a law, (both legally, and from a public perception standpoint) instead of people responding with one-liners?

So, apologzing for my emotional outburst reply....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-28 01:22pm
"Not anymore it isn't."
Bullshit.

Personally, I'm in favour of it. And oh look, my gender 'issues' are bigger than ever these days. Gee, guess that ruins your sample, huh?
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

After a few days, I've come to the conclusion that any discussion on this is a mote point. And not because of the discussion in this thread.

Thinking about it, the law will be followed by those that can, and those that can't follow it, will probably be able to justify "not following" it.

Big Chain stores, large stores, etc, will follow this law, no questions asked. They don't need the publicity, they don't want the fines.
If they can't, they're going to have support that will hold up in court. What that is, I'll leave to their lawyers to figure out.

Smaller stores will if they can, because they can't afford the fines.

That leaves smaller stores that "can't", but will have legitimate reasons.

i.e RC Hobbist stores could be considered 'boys toy stores'. BUT, they're all aimed towards adults. (Very few people are going to buy a $300+ RC toy for their 5 year old. They're going to buy the cheaper ones from Walmart).
You shouldn't be able to fine them, because they're an adult-aimed store.

i.e Second hand toy stores are entirely reliant on what people sell to them. If they can't get it, they can't sell it.
For example, the second hand comic/toy store my wife and I shop at can't stock "My Little Pony" (traditionally considered 'girl toys'), when people won't bring it to them for resale (in a resellable condition), or if when they get it it, it's sold before they can even put it up on the shelf. You can't sell what you can't get/keep in stock.

Provided they could prove that "yes, we do sell girls toys, when we get them, here's the documentation to prove it", they shouldn't get fined over it. We put it where-ever we can find the room. (Note: Their barbie figures are mixed in with other action figures the same size, and they once had a full barbie dream house beside a semi-complete Snake Mountain).
(Note: I'm in Ontario, so this law doesn't apply, but my reasoning probably applies to any second hand shop).

In short -
I honestly can't see anyone not obeying this law, unless they can't because they don't currently (at time of inspection/reported) have stock to do it with.
Enforcement will largely be voluntary, with monitoring probably mostly done by consumer complaints and enforcement follow-up.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2021-03-07 10:09pm<snip>
90% of your concern is answered by this single line:

"[D]epartment stores with 500 or more employees..."
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

There we go then.