Newbie Congressperson wants to impeach Biden

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Newbie Congressperson wants to impeach Biden

Post by Solauren »

Wow.... This almost smells like sour grapes...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gop-rep-marjo ... 48116.html

Original:
https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-rep ... den-2021-1
by Julie Gerstein
Thu., January 21, 2021, 11:30 p.m.

* Freshman GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene has introduced articles of impeachment against President Joe Biden.
* Greene, a staunch Trump supporter, accused Biden of engaging in a quid pro quo with Ukraine.
* The accusations, which were a major talking point during the 2020 election, have been largely discredited.

One day after President Joe Biden was inaugurated, Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene announced that she was introducing articles of impeachment against him.

The Georgia lawmaker made waves even before she joined Congress given her support for the far-right QAnon conspiracy theory; her claim that the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, was a hoax; and her long history of racist and anti-Semitic beliefs.

In a statement released Thursday, Greene, who represents Georgia's 14th Congressional District, said: "President Joe Biden is unfit to hold the office of the Presidency. His pattern of abuse of power as President Obama's Vice President is lengthy and disturbing."

Greene then went on to claim that Biden had committed a quid pro quo with Ukrainian officials while he was vice president to help his son "siphon cash from America's greatest enemies Russian and China."

Republicans have repeatedly accused Biden of inappropriately leveraging his role as vice president to boost his son Hunter's business interests. A GOP-led Senate committee, however, conducted a months-long investigation into the matter and found no evidence to support the claim.

Multiple witnesses who testified in President Donald Trump's first impeachment also said the allegations had no merit. Hunter Biden is under criminal investigation over his financial affairs, but there is no evidence that the president is a subject of interest to federal prosecutors.

Greene said Biden should be impeached for "enabling bribery and other high crimes and misdemeanors, by allowing his son to influence the domestic policy of a foreign nation and accept various benefits - including financial compensation - from foreign nationals in exchange for certain favors."

Greene's announcement relied largely on unsubstantiated claims floated in a New York Post story last year that Hunter Biden used his father's government position to do business deals in Russia. The Post's story was coordinated by Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani and was widely met with skepticism. The FBI is investigating whether the laptop at the center of the story was part of a foreign influence operation.

Along with filing the articles of impeachment, Greene asked supporters to text and sign a petition and donate funds to her impeachment filing, though language on the donations page specifies that the donations are being made to "Greene for Congress" and "will be used in connection with federal elections."

Both chambers of Congress are controlled by Democrats, making it virtually impossible that Greene's impeachment push will move forward. It's also unlikely that she'll get much support from within her own party; following the insurrection at the Capitol, the prevailing sentiment among the GOP establishment was that it was time to move forward and acknowledge Biden's victory.

Greene's announcement this week is the latest in a series of controversies she's been embroiled in since joining the House. When she was sworn in January 4, Greene refused to put on a mask and left the House floor, prompting a shouting match between Democratic and Republican staffers.

On Sunday, Greene's Twitter account was suspended for 12 hours after she suggested in a now-deleted tweet that Trump supporters "mobilize and make your voices heard in opposition to these attacks on our liberties" ahead of Biden's inauguration.

Greene is one of two members of Congress - along with Rep. Laura Boebert of Colorado - who have expressed support for QAnon, the baseless right-wing conspiracy theory that alleged Trump as president was secretly fighting a "deep state" Satanic cabal of child-eating pedophiles.

The FBI warned in August 2019 that conspiracy theories like QAnon posed a domestic-terrorism threat. This year, it surfaced that many of the Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol were QAnon believers.

Emails to Greene's office were not immediately returned.
Note, this is also the same Marjorie Taylor Greene who was suspended by Twitter for 12 hours not long after she told Trump supporters to 'mobilize'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: Newbie Congressperson wants to impeach Biden

Post by Bedlam »

Well you'd think that if they thought this was real they would have done it 4 years ago to you know stop him becoming president in the first place rather than deciding the day he became president that he's a horrible corrupt person who must be stopped.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

These people more or less live in their own world that has only remote resemblance to the real world, you can't really expect them to follow any rational mode of behavior.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Some people insisted that if the Democrats impeached Trump the Republicans would retaliate by trying to impeach every future Democrat president.

I think it's good to establish off right off the bat that it doesn't matter if they do.
darkjedi521
Youngling

Post by darkjedi521 »

Trump is the first president to not be impeached by the Republican party. At this point, each party has impeached an equal number of times.
Ex ASVS lurker and sometimes poster
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

darkjedi521 wrote: 2021-01-22 09:59pm Trump is the first president to not be impeached by the Republican party. At this point, each party has impeached an equal number of times.
Half of all presidential impeachments have been Trump.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Bedlam wrote: 2021-01-22 06:51pm Well you'd think that if they thought this was real they would have done it 4 years ago to you know stop him becoming president in the first place rather than deciding the day he became president that he's a horrible corrupt person who must be stopped.
The person putting this forward wasn't elected until recently. I think this is a 'Lone Wolf' type attempt, not the party itself.

The Republican's, as a party, know they have no chance of impeaching Biden so long as the Democracts control congress, so, 'the party' will not attempt it (it just looks crass, and they're all about appearances). Individual congresspeople might.

They Republican's, as a party, also know they have no chance of convicting Biden in the senate, until they control the senate as well.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-22 10:05pm
Bedlam wrote: 2021-01-22 06:51pm Well you'd think that if they thought this was real they would have done it 4 years ago to you know stop him becoming president in the first place rather than deciding the day he became president that he's a horrible corrupt person who must be stopped.
The person putting this forward wasn't elected until recently. I think this is a 'Lone Wolf' type attempt, not the party itself.

The Republican's, as a party, know they have no chance of impeaching Biden so long as the Democracts control congress, so, 'the party' will not attempt it (it just looks crass, and they're all about appearances). Individual congresspeople might.

They Republican's, as a party, also know they have no chance of convicting Biden in the senate, until they control the senate as well.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Republican leadership tells her to back off (off camera obviously) so that they wouldn't seem as even more of a sore looser then they already do.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-22 10:05pm (it just looks crass, and they're all about appearances).
Say what?

Have you not been paying attention for the past few decades?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-01-23 05:16am Honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Republican leadership tells her to back off (off camera obviously) so that they wouldn't seem as even more of a sore looser then they already do.
Why would she care?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ralin wrote: 2021-01-23 06:31am
Lord Revan wrote: 2021-01-23 05:16am Honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Republican leadership tells her to back off (off camera obviously) so that they wouldn't seem as even more of a sore looser then they already do.
Why would she care?
She might not, but doing so would cause issues for her internally, also it might cause there to be even less support for her if she goes thru with it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-01-23 06:47am She might not, but doing so would cause issues for her internally, also it might cause there to be even less support for her if she goes thru with it.
Yeah, but this is a Q-anon person. She didn't go into politics to be effective at achieving shit.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2021-01-23 06:55am
Lord Revan wrote: 2021-01-23 06:47am She might not, but doing so would cause issues for her internally, also it might cause there to be even less support for her if she goes thru with it.
Yeah, but this is a Q-anon person. She didn't go into politics to be effective at achieving shit.
Now, that's unfair.
It's entirely possible she wants to be effective.
The fact that she's Q-anon just means she won't be.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ralin wrote: 2021-01-23 06:55am
As Solauren said she probably went into politics with a desire to be as effective as she can at achieving things, if she's as devout a follower as we think she is then she honestly and without any hint of irony thinks that Trump still commands the military and the alphabet soup agencies with 100% loyalty and is just waiting to arrest Biden and the "deep state" so she sees this as effective way of doing her job, though if they're at all smart about it Republican leaders might be able to convince her that now is not the "right time".
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Although this has no chance of succeeding, more than likely at least half of the GOP House will vote in favour.

They’re the same group that wanted the US election to be overthrown (via coup if necessary) so I doubt they’ll have any qualms with impeachment.

In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they constantly try to force through articles of impeachment throughout Biden’s (and any Democrats) entire term in office, especially if they regain the House at some point.

This is far from over. I’m pretty confident the next batch of GOP candidates are gonna make Trump look like Obama in comparison to them.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-01-23 06:47am
Ralin wrote: 2021-01-23 06:31am
Why would she care?
She might not, but doing so would cause issues for her internally, also it might cause there to be even less support for her if she goes thru with it.
The thing about Republicans and appearances is that while they act in ways that seem monstrous to outsiders, within the cult they are at least somewhat consistent in that they try to maintain a superficial appearance of standing for "family values", "American values", and "GOP values". They act as though rudeness, such as being called fascist, is a greater crime than actually BEING a fascist.

Trump caused a LOT of tension among the Republicans for precisely this reason-- he normalized rudeness and abrasiveness. You can particularly see this in Utah, land of the notoriously polite Mormons that ALMOST went purple as a result, and the milquetoast Mitt Romney's outspoken dislike of the man. There is a faction of Republican, derived from the Tea Party wing but nurtured by the Trumpian example, that is less concerned about politeness-- we see this here with Marjorie Taylor-Greene-- but by and large the party constituents, if not their representatives, value the superficial appearance of politeness. Note how Mcconnell got re-elected-- the man simply refuses to cooperate with Democrats, but he doesn't make a huge fuss about it or call names. That looks much more polite than Trump throwing epithets around on Twitter.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, most of the pre-Trump, or 'classic Republicans', were more of the 'polite, refined, exclusive club' types.
Trump-Republicans are more the 'angry mob' type.