Trump/Republican Coup Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Re: Trump/Republican Coup Thread

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

In a senate with a Democratic majority so fragile it breaks if you look at it funny, Trump skates out with a final vote 57-43 to convict.

The Trumphadi are going to be more insufferable than usual for the next couple weeks, aren't they?
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The best thing that can come of this, is it's ammo to use against the Senators that vote against convicting Trump. Keep it in peoples minds until midterms, and use it to get the Republicans voted OUT of Congress and the Senate.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Knife wrote: 2021-02-13 12:12pm I also very much think they should call Trump up as a witness and MAKE him plead the 5th, or any other blabber that comes out of his mouth. Would love someone to ask him if he still think he is POTUS or a Former POTUS. lol.
I would support this purely to demonstrate that they can order him to come testify and have him dragged in if he refuses.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I would say "it would have to happen eventually" but...
Doesn't Trump have a history of basically NEVER appearing in court and weaseling out of subpoenas?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I think it is a terrible, terrible mistake to conclude that a meaningful number of Republicans voted not guilty out of fear of Trump's Terrorists. Deep down, on a fundamental level, the majority of Republicans in government are genuinely horrible people. They do not want democracy to exist, they do not want to see assaults on democracy punished, they do not want accountability for criminality on their side. There's a not trivial number of them that know damn well that Trump not being convicted is likely to lead to more attempts at violent overthrow against Democrats and they actively want it. Their ultimate goal is an end to free and fair elections so that they have ultimate power forever. Optics do not matter. Appealing to moderates does not matter. Seeming reasonable does not matter. The one and only thing they care about is power.

Do not give Republicans any leeway. They do not warrant the benefit of the doubt. Everything is grift. Everything is for their own benefit. There is no good-faith. There are some imbeciles. There are some cowards. But on the whole, the entire foundation of the party since the Southern Strategy has been one that is fundamentally opposed to a free and just society. They are manipulating the religious groups, the lower taxes groups, etc. They're Walmart moving into a town and undercutting all of the other retail stores. Once they attain supremacy they'll gut everything. The only difference between the Republican party now and the Republican party under Bush the Lesser is that they're finally comfortable shouting the quiet part through a megaphone on live TV. There are a few that take offense to the absolute lack of subtlety, but they're not morally offended by the message in there. They just wish the delivery would allow plausible deniability. They wish the human rights violations were done with a veneer of civility.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

If you want proof of that, just look to Mitch McConnell. He voted against conviction, while also saying that Trump was 'morally responsible' for the attack.
Also, he claims that the Senate has no authority over a former president. While having made sure that the trial couldn't take place until after Biden's inauguration.

I hope that the Democrats have the spine to use McConnell's own words against him when he next comes up for reelection.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

This trial result is a great win for the Democrats - they were in a win/win situation no matter what the verdict.
Now the Republican Party is mud to a significant greater majority than the hardcore 60 million that the Republicans can rely on.
Trump has accidentally been the hero for democracy by destroying the Republican Party, and its electoral chances for the foreseeable future.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2021-02-14 01:13am I think it is a terrible, terrible mistake to conclude that a meaningful number of Republicans voted not guilty out of fear of Trump's Terrorists. Deep down, on a fundamental level, the majority of Republicans in government are genuinely horrible people. They do not want democracy to exist, they do not want to see assaults on democracy punished, they do not want accountability for criminality on their side. There's a not trivial number of them that know damn well that Trump not being convicted is likely to lead to more attempts at violent overthrow against Democrats and they actively want it. Their ultimate goal is an end to free and fair elections so that they have ultimate power forever. Optics do not matter. Appealing to moderates does not matter. Seeming reasonable does not matter. The one and only thing they care about is power.
It is entirely possible to be a power-hungry fascist AND in fear of your life.

I do believe some of those Machiavellian power-sucking moral black holes in Congress would have been happy to cut Trump out of the party and let him take the fall for January 6, but did not do so for various reasons. I do believe actual threats were part of that because we know for a fact that people have been receiving death threats from Trumpists, and not all of them have been Democrats. Georgia's governor Kemp for one.. The Republicans know damn well what's going on that's why, as insurrectionists where literally breaking into his office Kevin McCarthy told Trump to call them off.

So yes, it was power-hunger that led them to this, but now there's a layer of genuine fear as well.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-02-14 03:39am I hope that the Democrats have the spine to use McConnell's own words against him when he next comes up for reelection.
The problem is that McConnell's district loves him. He'll get re-elected until he drops dead.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Mr Bean wrote: 2021-02-12 11:32pmFrom the start it's been clear the Demoratic party leadership has little interest in a conviction, they would love one but are not willing to invest the time or capital to remind Republican Senators there's a part of their own party they are pissing off. Impeachments are political operations at the end of the day and the Democratic party is now official just going through the motions.
The Democrats held a show trial; they did a trial for show then let the guy go. This impeachment was never about getting a conviction, it was pretty much "look at us, we're doing something, so remember to vote for us in the next election". Nothing but political theatre.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

DaZergRock54444 wrote: 2021-02-13 04:12pm In a senate with a Democratic majority so fragile it breaks if you look at it funny, Trump skates out with a final vote 57-43 to convict.

The Trumphadi are going to be more insufferable than usual for the next couple weeks, aren't they?
Luckily, they're already so busy trying to scalp the seven who voted to remove Il Douchebag that they'll have less time to pester non-fascists. If they want to kneecap Burr, Kennedy, Murkowski and Toomey -and in doing so, making it easier for Dems to snatch four more seats in 2022, great.
8)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm curious to know what the running definition of "moderate Republican" is, given the most recent events. Is it someone who claims to be ambivalent to Trump while embracing his policies and is happy to let him walk despite acknowledging Trump's role in the events of the 6th?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Elfdart wrote: 2021-02-14 01:22pm
DaZergRock54444 wrote: 2021-02-13 04:12pm In a senate with a Democratic majority so fragile it breaks if you look at it funny, Trump skates out with a final vote 57-43 to convict.

Luckily, they're already so busy trying to scalp the seven who voted to remove Il Douchebag that they'll have less time to pester non-fascists. If they want to kneecap Burr, Kennedy, Murkowski and Toomey -and in doing so, making it easier for Dems to snatch four more seats in 2022, great.
8)
All those who voted against are either secure for the next 4-6yrs or retiring, iirc.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-14 07:27pmAll those who voted against are either secure for the next 4-6yrs or retiring, iirc.
Murkowski is up for reelection next year.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Probably way too early to know if there are any republicans willing to challenge Trump for the 2024 nomination but surely there must be some?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-02-14 05:35am
Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2021-02-14 01:13am I think it is a terrible, terrible mistake to conclude that a meaningful number of Republicans voted not guilty out of fear of Trump's Terrorists. Deep down, on a fundamental level, the majority of Republicans in government are genuinely horrible people. They do not want democracy to exist, they do not want to see assaults on democracy punished, they do not want accountability for criminality on their side. There's a not trivial number of them that know damn well that Trump not being convicted is likely to lead to more attempts at violent overthrow against Democrats and they actively want it. Their ultimate goal is an end to free and fair elections so that they have ultimate power forever. Optics do not matter. Appealing to moderates does not matter. Seeming reasonable does not matter. The one and only thing they care about is power.
It is entirely possible to be a power-hungry fascist AND in fear of your life.

I do believe some of those Machiavellian power-sucking moral black holes in Congress would have been happy to cut Trump out of the party and let him take the fall for January 6, but did not do so for various reasons. I do believe actual threats were part of that because we know for a fact that people have been receiving death threats from Trumpists, and not all of them have been Democrats. Georgia's governor Kemp for one.. The Republicans know damn well what's going on that's why, as insurrectionists where literally breaking into his office Kevin McCarthy told Trump to call them off.

So yes, it was power-hunger that led them to this, but now there's a layer of genuine fear as well.
I'm unwilling to give any of them the benefit of the doubt, given that 57 Senators decided that, death threats be damned, this is a nation of laws and everyone should be held to them. Cowardice may be a factor, but when it comes down to it they fundamentally do not want accountability. And given the backlash (getting censured, for example) many Republicans that voted to impeach/convict are receiving, I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the corruption is central to the modern Republican party.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Raw Shark wrote: 2021-02-14 08:48pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-14 07:27pmAll those who voted against are either secure for the next 4-6yrs or retiring, iirc.
Murkowski is up for reelection next year.
Murkowski has cover from Alaska's new Top-Four Primary + Ranked Choice Voting system. The top four candidates from a unified primary will advance to the general election, and if no one person reaches 50%+1, then the lowest of the four in the general will be removed, the votes redistributed based on choice, and then the results will be recalculated. Combine that with her demonstrated ability to run outside of the GOP party structure (2010 IIRC), and she's going to be mostly secure.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-02-14 08:51pm Probably way too early to know if there are any republicans willing to challenge Trump for the 2024 nomination but surely there must be some?
That's assuming he's still alive in 4 years. He's got a great deal of physical problems and his mental condition is deteriorating. I'm more worried that the next wannabe fascist is actually competent (we're lucky that Trump was an inept buffoon).
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2021-02-14 08:57pm I'm unwilling to give any of them the benefit of the doubt, given that 57 Senators decided that, death threats be damned, this is a nation of laws and everyone should be held to them. Cowardice may be a factor, but when it comes down to it they fundamentally do not want accountability.
Cravenness and cowardliness are not mutually exclusive. In fact, it's probably common to find them together. Figuring out or explaining why something occurred is not at all the same as excusing it or condoning it.
Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2021-02-14 08:57pmAnd given the backlash (getting censured, for example) many Republicans that voted to impeach/convict are receiving, I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the corruption is central to the modern Republican party.
Unquestionably true.

We've moved to the point that the fanatics are going to try to drive the sane/"moderate"/less corrupt Republicans out of the party entirely. Actually, we've been in that phase for at least 4 years now, it's just getting more obvious.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-02-14 05:37am
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-02-14 03:39am I hope that the Democrats have the spine to use McConnell's own words against him when he next comes up for reelection.
The problem is that McConnell's district loves him. He'll get re-elected until he drops dead.
He's no spring chicken either, though. He just got reelected last year, but doubt he'd be able to do so again in 2026. The guy is 78, which makes him 84 for his next reelection to serve till he's 90. Yeah, he might make this round but the probability of death is getting pretty high.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Same with Trump TBH
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-13 05:13pm The best thing that can come of this, is it's ammo to use against the Senators that vote against convicting Trump. Keep it in peoples minds until midterms, and use it to get the Republicans voted OUT of Congress and the Senate.
Why would this work?

Remember. Mitch blocked the stimulus bill, that includes VACCINE funding and deployment and he got 30 thousand more vote than his last election (errr. It's been some time since I checked. I just remember it was tens of thousands increase at least )

If the middle of 300 thousand people dying won't shift votes, why will an impeachment do that?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

PainRack wrote: 2021-02-16 05:55am Why would this work?

Remember. Mitch blocked the stimulus bill, that includes VACCINE funding and deployment and he got 30 thousand more vote than his last election (errr. It's been some time since I checked. I just remember it was tens of thousands increase at least )

If the middle of 300 thousand people dying won't shift votes, why will an impeachment do that?
Wasn't the turnout much higher overall, and the percentage of his win lower by comparison, or am I misremembering?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2021-02-16 05:58am
PainRack wrote: 2021-02-16 05:55am Why would this work?

Wasn't the turnout much higher overall, and the percentage of his win lower by comparison, or am I misremembering?
Yes to first, not sure to second but again, more people voted for him and he won reelection.

At some point, voting is more about group affiliation rather than a rational choice. Remember. Hitler never won the majority in Berlin either.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

“We have a criminal justice system in this country. We have civil litigation. And former presidents are not immune from being accountable by either one.” --Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell

ABC News wrote:Lawsuit accuses Donald Trump, Giuliani and others of conspiring to incite Capitol riot

The suit alleges that Trump and others violated the 1871 Ku Klux Klan Act.
By Aaron Katersky
February 16, 2021, 10:00 AM

On Jan. 6, rioters coming from a pro-Trump rally broke into the U.S. Capitol, resulting in deaths...

Former President Trump, his attorney Rudy Giuliani, the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers conspired to violate the 1871 Ku Klux Klan Act, which prohibits any actions designed to prevent Congress from carrying out its duties, when they incited the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, a new lawsuit from the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee alleged.

The insurrection was the result of a carefully orchestrated plan by Trump, Giuliani and extremist groups like the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys, all of whom shared a common goal of employing intimidation, harassment and threats to stop the certification of the Electoral College, said Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Democrat from Mississippi.

“The Defendants each intended to prevent, and ultimately delayed, members of Congress from discharging their duty commanded by the United States Constitution to approve the results of the Electoral College in order to elect the next President and Vice President of the United States,” the lawsuit said. “Pursuing a purpose shared by Defendants Trump and Giuliani as well as Defendant Proud Boys, Defendant Oath Keepers played a leadership role of the riotous crowd and provided military-style assistance sufficient to overcome any Capitol Police resistance.”

With the benefit of not having to prove criminal allegations beyond a reasonable doubt, the civil lawsuit, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., on behalf of Thompson in his personal capacity by the NAACP and civil rights law firm Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll, sought unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. The lawsuit is suing Trump in his personal capacity, alleging that he acted outside the scope of his office when inciting the rioters.

The lawsuit alleged violations of the Ku Klux Klan Act, which was passed in 1871 in response to KKK violence and intimidation preventing members of Congress in the South during Reconstruction from carrying out their constitutional duties. The statute was intended specifically to protect against conspiracies, attorney Joe Sellers said.

The litigation follows a long list of similar cases in recent decades in which organizations have used lawsuits, and financial penalties, to expose the networks and financiers of hate groups. One example is a lawsuit that ultimately forced the 2001 closure of the Aryan Nation’s Idaho compound.

Thompson quoted Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell openly encouraging litigation against Trump: “We have a criminal justice system in this country. We have civil litigation. And former presidents are not immune from being accountable by either one.”
MORE: Biden's 1st 100 days live updates: 9/11-type commission to investigate insurrection

After witnessing Capitol police barricading the doors of the House chamber with furniture, Thompson and fellow lawmakers donned gas masks and were rushed into the Longworth House Office Building where they sheltered with more than 200 other representatives, staffers and family members.

“Jan. 6 was one of the most shameful days in our country’s history, and it was instigated by the president himself,” Thompson said. “His gleeful support of violent white supremacists led to a breach of the Capitol that put my life, and that of my colleagues, in grave danger.”
Hopefully the first of many.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker