Trump/Republican Coup Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Trump/Republican Coup Thread

Post by bilateralrope »

I wonder which Republican will speak out against this lawsuit first.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-02-15 04:17amI'm more worried that the next wannabe fascist is actually competent (we're lucky that Trump was an inept buffoon).
So, the Bush II years again.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-16 02:23pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2021-02-15 04:17amI'm more worried that the next wannabe fascist is actually competent (we're lucky that Trump was an inept buffoon).
So, the Bush II years again.
Bush II had much better advisors. Calling him competent, even in comparison to Trump, is, to paraphrase George Carlin, setting the bar very low and settling for very little.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Bush II invaded a country and engaged in absurd cronyism. He's a death toll measured in the millions. And so on.

Trump got impeached twice. Bush II skated.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-16 03:05pm Bush II invaded a country and engaged in absurd cronyism. He's a death toll measured in the millions. And so on.

Trump got impeached twice. Bush II skated.
He still wasn't terribly competent (there were jokes about Cheney being the real president for a reason after all).
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Question, could RICO rules apply to the KKK lawsuit?

Because, it might be worth going after a lower level organizer first, someone without wealth to hide behind, and nail them to the wall, then go after the 'higher ups', as is where. You find 'Bob Smith' guilty of conspiracy with Donald Trump, it's alot hard for Donald Trump to get away with conspiring with Bob Smith.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-16 03:50pm Question, could RICO rules apply to the KKK lawsuit?

Because, it might be worth going after a lower level organizer first, someone without wealth to hide behind, and nail them to the wall, then go after the 'higher ups', as is where. You find 'Bob Smith' guilty of conspiracy with Donald Trump, it's alot hard for Donald Trump to get away with conspiring with Bob Smith.
First, RICO only applies to criminal charges, not civil actions. Second, as many lawyers will tell you, its never RICO. You might think its easier to go after the big guys indirectly, but the way that law was written its usually harder to prove someone was part of a conspiracy than to just nail their ass directly, so its not invoked nearly as often as you might expect.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Formless wrote: 2021-02-16 04:08pm First, RICO only applies to criminal charges, not civil actions. Second, as many lawyers will tell you, its never RICO. You might think its easier to go after the big guys indirectly, but the way that law was written its usually harder to prove someone was part of a conspiracy than to just nail their ass directly, so its not invoked nearly as often as you might expect.
Fair point on the Civil vs Criminal. I thought Criminal charges were coming.

With RICO, I guess it has to be very concrete before it can be applied?

For example, would: Mob Boss orders hit (and proof is collected via legal means). Mob Lieutenant accepts order, relays it down to the actual assassin (again, proof collected via legal means.) Assassin kills target, but is captured and later convicted. Would that be enough to RICO Mob Lt and Mob Boss?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-02-16 04:31pm
Formless wrote: 2021-02-16 04:08pm First, RICO only applies to criminal charges, not civil actions. Second, as many lawyers will tell you, its never RICO. You might think its easier to go after the big guys indirectly, but the way that law was written its usually harder to prove someone was part of a conspiracy than to just nail their ass directly, so its not invoked nearly as often as you might expect.
Fair point on the Civil vs Criminal. I thought Criminal charges were coming.

With RICO, I guess it has to be very concrete before it can be applied?

For example, would: Mob Boss orders hit (and proof is collected via legal means). Mob Lieutenant accepts order, relays it down to the actual assassin (again, proof collected via legal means.) Assassin kills target, but is captured and later convicted. Would that be enough to RICO Mob Lt and Mob Boss?
If you have solid proof collected by legal means that the mob boss ordered the hit, you don't need RICO.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

As Popehat explains, RICO is very specifically worded to target crime families involved in racketeering, and thus is convoluted as hell. It actually does have a civil aspect to it which I was unaware of, but its hard to even allege a pattern of racketeering. Plus, the crimes have to be on a specific list of federal statues, not just any criminal conspiracy. Basically, unless the feds are seriously using it to do exactly what it was designed to do (take down the mob), going after someone under RICO is at best a scare tactic, at worst a complete waste of time. Other laws are on the books for dealing with criminal conspiracies, but they aren't the indirect method of going after someone. They are, in fact, the direct method of going after someone.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Isn't it generally agreed that RICO is right on the edge of what is legally/constitutionally permissible in terms of collective guilt and that the only reason it hasn't been overturned by the courts is that it's used very selectively to go after crime syndicates?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

This lawsuit is more trouble than it seems - if T***p loses this one , then it is open season for ALL members of congress (even Republicans who realize that they would like a share of his money), DC police, janitors, etc to follow up on it with their own suit , which would pretty much guarantee them the same outcome. Even when the individual suit does only award a "few hundred thousands" in damages, multiplying that by a few hundred cases, this could mean serious harm to T***p.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LaCroix wrote: 2021-02-17 04:29am This lawsuit is more trouble than it seems - if T***p loses this one , then it is open season for ALL members of congress (even Republicans who realize that they would like a share of his money), DC police, janitors, etc to follow up on it with their own suit , which would pretty much guarantee them the same outcome. Even when the individual suit does only award a "few hundred thousands" in damages, multiplying that by a few hundred cases, this could mean serious harm to T***p.
GOOD. If anyone deserves it, it's Trump.

Let him lose tons of cash fighting those lawsuits, so he can't defend himself against the Criminal charges that various levels of the US government are hopefully planning to bring against him for stuff he did prior to his term in office.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-02-16 03:18pm He still wasn't terribly competent (there were jokes about Cheney being the real president for a reason after all).
I remember those jokes. That was the interesting thing about that period and regime. Cheney et al operated quietly, and Bush played frontman. They and the rest operated like a team. Who was responsible for what was never quite clear, so assigning responsibility was difficult.

Trump didn't do that, instead insisting that he was in charge of everything.

- George Carlin
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Considering his zeal for "firing" anybody he could who didn't have their nose buried so far up his ass their sneezes ruffled his toupee, I think it's fair to say Trump was in charge of everything that he could be, which is why his administration was a trainwreck.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It also didn't help long term relationships within the party, which are crucial to Republican style authoritarianism.

- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LaCroix wrote: 2021-02-17 04:29am This lawsuit is more trouble than it seems - if T***p loses this one , then it is open season for ALL members of congress (even Republicans who realize that they would like a share of his money), DC police, janitors, etc to follow up on it with their own suit , which would pretty much guarantee them the same outcome. Even when the individual suit does only award a "few hundred thousands" in damages, multiplying that by a few hundred cases, this could mean serious harm to T***p.
Even if he wins, he's probably still going to be forced to testify under oath. Which leads to three possibilities:
- Perjury that's obvious enough for a conviction.
- He lies in a way that's not obvious enough for a perjury conviction, but limits what he can say to future investigations without an obvious contradiction that leads to an easy perjury conviction.
- He avoids a perjury conviction by claiming his memory is faulty. Which his opponents can use if he ever runs for office again.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-17 03:40pm It also didn't help long term relationships within the party, which are crucial to Republican style authoritarianism.
Disagree. Most the problem we have now is all the Tea Baggers have bubbled up through local GOPer leadership and run the party right now.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-02-17 03:49pm Even if he wins, he's probably still going to be forced to testify under oath. Which leads to three possibilities:
- He lies in a way that's not obvious enough for a perjury conviction, but limits what he can say to future investigations without an obvious contradiction that leads to an easy perjury conviction.
- He avoids a perjury conviction by claiming his memory is faulty. Which his opponents can use if he ever runs for office again.
The Supreme Court has allowed the 5th amendment to apply to civil as well as criminal cases. Especially if such testimony could be used in a criminal proceeding, which "conspiracy to cause a riot" certainly would be.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

RogueIce wrote: 2021-02-17 10:21pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-02-17 03:49pm Even if he wins, he's probably still going to be forced to testify under oath. Which leads to three possibilities:
The Supreme Court has allowed the 5th amendment to apply to civil as well as criminal cases. Especially if such testimony could be used in a criminal proceeding, which "conspiracy to cause a riot" certainly would be.
Yeah, it would be smart for Trump to plead the fifth. I just have doubts that he will choose to do so.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

That's why it is key to make him testify. Of course his lawyers will want to plead, but he won't want to. He'll talk.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

For some reason, when I see Trump on the stand, it turns into the trial from Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob was Mayor. Except Trump is far easier to provoke then Bob was.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Kentucky county GOP chair calls on McConnell to resign leadership spot over Trump criticism
BY LEXI LONAS - 02/17/21 02:36 PM EST

A county GOP chairman in Kentucky is calling for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to resign from his leadership position in the Senate over his floor speech last weekend saying former President Trump was responsible for the Capitol riot.

“Given that the county party I represent supports President Trump overwhelmingly and your complete and total disdain for the will of your constituents here in Nelson County I am formally demanding you immediately resign your leadership position within our party’s caucus in the United States Senate,” Don Thrasher, chairman for the Republican Party of Nelson County, said.

Link to tweet
Republican Party of Nelson County
@NelsonGOP
Demand For McConnell's Resignation As Republican Caucus Leader From Republican Party of Nelson County Chair Don Thrasher
VERTISEMENT
McConnell supported Trump throughout his presidency and worked with him frequently, but the Republican leader split from the president after the Capitol riot on Jan. 6. He voted to acquit Trump in the Senate on an impeachment charge of inciting the riot, but said he only did so because he does not believe the Senate can constitutionally convict a president no longer in office.

In his speech after his vote, he said “there’s no question — none — that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day.”

Thrasher took exception to those comments.

“Your leadership in the US Senate does not represent the Republican voters that put our faith in you the last primary election,” Thrasher wrote.

Thrasher told The Washington Post that McConnell “stirred up the hornets’ nest even worse” with his speech after his vote and that it only made more people mad.

In his statement, Thrasher said he agreed with a statement Trump issued on Tuesday blasting McConnell.

Trump said McConnell “will never do what needs to be done, or what is right for our Country.”

Thrasher led a failed resolution in January with the Kentucky Republican Party that would have told McConnell to condemn Trump’s impeachment trial.
Looks like McConnell's plan of trying to please both sides by voting for acquittal, while putting out a speech saying how Trump was wrong, has been seen through by both sides.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Eh.. I cannot take much 'joy' from this.
Mc Connell as other have said is in a position were he honestly does not need to worry about re-election no matter what he does.
Outside of an army of MAGA Mooks rioting at his house, he doesn't really have anything 'direct;y to worry about from pissing off the Trump goons.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

If there are enough of them, can't they kick him out of the Senate Minority Leader position ?