Has the US Response to 9/11 Brought About the Exact Destabilization the Attack was Meant to Cause?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Jub
Sith Marauder

Has the US Response to 9/11 Brought About the Exact Destabilization the Attack was Meant to Cause?

Post by Jub »

Looking back at US politics, policies, and culture it seems like an argument could be made that many of Americas current divides were vastly deepened in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. Those deepened divides widened the gulf between the two American parties and solidified adversarial politics as the order of the day. Leading to the current state of the US.

This is pretty surface level and it wouldn't surprise me if these trends developed without such a singular event but it still seems worth discussion.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Has the US Response to 9/11 Brought About the Exact Destabilization the Attack was Meant to Cause?

Post by Zaune »

I think if 9/11 hadn't happened, the various powerful people who used it to their advantage would have found another excuse. But maybe a series of smaller, less dramatic and high-profile attacks would have made it more of a slow burn, with more chances for cooler heads to weigh in and take a stand against the worse excesses.

Or maybe the unholy alliance between Halliburton et al and the "destroy the village to save the village" lobby in the three-letter agencies would've got impatient and tried to stage an actual false-flag op instead of just accidentally-on-purpose letting the bad guys slip something past them, like I've always half-suspected happened in 2001. I dunno.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Has the US Response to 9/11 Brought About the Exact Destabilization the Attack was Meant to Cause?

Post by Ralin »

Well yes. Obviously.

If it hadn't happened the war mongers would have ramped up beating the anti-China and anti-Russia drums that much sooner. Probably would have been more controlled to keep the inmates from running the asylum like what happened with the Tea Party
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I think it has more to do with the generational change. Boomers retiring and worried they don't get all the stuff they've been promised all their life. I think September 11th gave us more of a toxic patriotism/nationalism, but the root problem was the Boomers as a block.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Knife wrote: 2020-11-02 11:38am I think it has more to do with the generational change. Boomers retiring and worried they don't get all the stuff they've been promised all their life. I think September 11th gave us more of a toxic patriotism/nationalism, but the root problem was the Boomers as a block.
Boomers, maybe, but definitely the Religious Right Bloc is still a major problem.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Internet are my reply last week.

The way I see it is that the two party system will always have a pressure to congeal, then freeze into sharp ideological opposed crystals.
This is diffused by internal tensions and faction priorities shifting in prominence. The slow churn of a slushie maker that stops full freeze.

The way I see it, the deep freeze occurred before 9/11, back in the month of the contested election of dubya. That was when red and blue got fixed to a party each in the public's mind in a winner takes all drawn out battle. A team sport not a negotiation.

The Iraq war would have been attempted by Dubya with or without 9/11. Blair's messainic legacy started earlier, with Clinton in Kosovo. He would still have collaborated to produce an excuse for Iraq.
America would still have had a generation of body bags and traumatised vets and families with consequent hardening of politics, same as Russia saw from their Afghan war.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee