Obama opens door for abolishing the filibuster, calls it a "Jim Crow relic".

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Obama opens door for abolishing the filibuster, calls it a "Jim Crow relic".

Post by The Romulan Republic »

More and more Democrats, anticipating four years of relentless partisan obstruction of Joe Biden by Republicans, are advocating for removing or limiting the filibuster.

https://vox.com/2020/7/30/21348382/obam ... ing-rights
Former President Barack Obama delivered a passionate and deeply political tribute to the late Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) at Lewis’s funeral service on Thursday. Lewis was one of the nation’s foremost civil rights leaders beginning in the 1960s, and Obama spoke of how even as a very young man, Lewis endured beatings and other violence to advance the cause of voting rights for Black Americans.

Obama called for legislation restoring the Voting Rights Act, much of which was gutted by the Supreme Court’s decisions in Shelby County v. Holder (2013) and Abbott v. Perez (2018). He also endorsed other democratic reforms, including an end to partisan gerrymandering, extending statehood to Washington, DC, and Puerto Rico, and making Election Day a national holiday.

And then he called upon the Senate to remove an obstacle that has consistently stood in the way of civil rights legislation throughout American history.

“If all this takes eliminating the filibuster, another Jim Crow relic, in order to secure the God-given rights of every American, then that’s what we should do,” said Obama.

The filibuster typically allows a bloc of 41 senators to prevent legislation from passing, and Republican filibusters stymied much of Obama’s policy agenda during his presidency.

A common metric used to measure how frequently filibusters occur is the number of “cloture” motions filed by the majority in order to break a filibuster. The number of such cloture motions more than doubled after Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) became the Senate Republican leader in 2007, and McConnell continued to use the filibuster aggressively after Obama took office two years later.

Obama has criticized the widespread use of the filibuster in the past. He told Vox’s Ezra Klein in 2015 that the Senate should eliminate “the routine use of the filibuster in the Senate,” for example. But Obama’s remarks at Lewis’s funeral — in which he didn’t just oppose the filibuster but also noted the role it played in preserving Jim Crow — is probably his strongest statement in opposition to the filibuster to date.

The filibuster is a historical accident that became a tool of white supremacy
The filibuster itself predates Jim Crow and was created entirely by accident. In 1805, shortly after he killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel, Vice President Aaron Burr returned to the Senate to deliver a farewell speech and suggested that the Senate make changes to its rules. Burr proposed eliminating the “previous question motion,” a process that was rarely used prior to his speech, and the Senate followed Burr’s advice in 1806.

But the previous question motion was hardly superfluous. Indeed, this motion was the only process allowing the Senate to cut off debate among members. No one recognized Burr’s error for 35 years — until 1841, when the first filibuster occurred. Without a way to end debate, rogue senators could delay Senate action indefinitely by insisting on “debating” a proposal forever.

RELATED

John Lewis’s voting rights legacy is in danger
Since then, the Senate has changed the rules many times to make it easier to break a filibuster, but most legislation still cannot pass over a filibuster unless 60 senators join together to invoke cloture. That means that unless Democrats win an absolutely crushing majority in November — they would have to gain 13 seats in the Senate, a nearly impossible feat — Republicans will be able to block nearly any voting rights bill through the filibuster.

Unless, of course, the filibuster is eliminated, something the Senate could do at any time with just 51 votes.

If Republicans were to use the filibuster to stop legislation expanding voting rights, they would join a long and inglorious tradition of illiberal senators filibustering civil rights legislation. From 1875 until 1957, Congress did not enact a single civil rights bill, even as Jim Crow flourished in the South.

Congress could not even pass civil rights legislation that enjoyed majority support. Between the end of World War II and 1957, when a modest bill finally became law, the House passed five civil rights bills. But white supremacist senators were able to block each of these five bills using the filibuster.

Democrats appear to be turning sharply against the filibuster
It took Democrats more than four agonizing years to realize just how severely the filibuster had hobbled their ability to govern while Obama was president, and even then they made only modest reforms to the filibuster — allowing most presidential nominees to be confirmed with just 51 votes but leaving the legislative filibuster largely intact.

Indeed, just a few years ago, much of the Democratic caucus appeared committed to maintaining the filibuster. In April 2017, Sens. Chris Coons (D-DE) and Susan Collins (R-ME) organized a letter calling on Senate leadership to “preserve existing rules, practices, and traditions” that allow senators to filibuster legislation. More than two dozen Democrats joined this letter, and a total of 61 senators signed it.

RELATED

How the filibuster broke the US Senate
And yet, even Coons — once one of the Senate’s most outspoken opponents of eliminating the filibuster — is now singing a different tune. “I will not stand idly by for four years and watch the Biden administration’s initiatives blocked at every turn,” Coons told Politico in June. “I am gonna try really hard to find a path forward that doesn’t require removing what’s left of the structural guardrails, but if there’s a Biden administration, it will be inheriting a mess, at home and abroad. It requires urgent and effective action.”

Likewise, presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden recently signaled support for eliminating the filibuster if Senate Republicans are too “obstreperous.”

There is a very real chance, in other words, that the incoming Senate will have 51 votes to eliminate the filibuster — or to at least pare it back sufficiently to allow voting rights legislation to become law. If Democrats do win control of the federal government, the chances of such law becoming a reality will almost certainly hinge on whether Senate Democrats are willing to target the filibuster.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: Obama opens door for abolishing the filibuster, calls it a "Jim Crow relic".

Post by Elfdart »

Too bad he wasn't president with big majorities in both houses when he took office -otherwise he, Reid and Pelosi could have done something.

Oh wait...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Obama opens door for abolishing the filibuster, calls it a "Jim Crow relic".

Post by Mr Bean »

Elfdart wrote: 2020-08-02 07:45am Too bad he wasn't president with big majorities in both houses when he took office -otherwise he, Reid and Pelosi could have done something.

Oh wait...
Or the second time during the 2010 election when Congress was re-sworn in and they could change the rules with a simple majority vote.
Or the third time during the 2012 election when Congress was re-sworn in and they could change the rules with a simple majority vote and they did but just to make judges easier

Then they lost it in 2014 and nothing ever happened again.

Oddly despite only have 51-54 Senators the Republicans in 2016, 2018 and today get a lot of what they want done despite filibusters.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Obama is overly idealistic as a politician. It's only with Trump that he changed his mind.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Obama had a couple of problems, I think. One was that he genuinely gave Republicans more credit for being decent people open to compromise than they deserved. The other is that he always had to be careful to avoid being too confrontational and seen as the "scary black man", which is American racism's fault, not his.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Yeah, cool. It's time. Modern politics are polar, and the notion of wise old gents sitting down and compromising passed decades ago (if it was every really a thing). I'm cool if the machine can get on board this small but major change. Can't help but feel he could have done it when he had power but...
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Knife wrote: 2020-08-02 01:28pm Yeah, cool. It's time. Modern politics are polar, and the notion of wise old gents sitting down and compromising passed decades ago (if it was every really a thing). I'm cool if the machine can get on board this small but major change. Can't help but feel he could have done it when he had power but...
Obama's problem is that he didn't believe there had been a major shift in American politics, and that he genuinely believes he could reverse the polarisation of American society during his presidency. Look at Obama's keynote speeches that he gave as a senator. He was consistently calling for bi-partisan politics repeatedly.

The biggest failure of Obama's presidency is his inability and failure to recognise the problem. His policy failures and inaction stems from his genuine belief in bi-partisan politics. It's only with the rise of Trump that he managed to wake up to the idea that the Republicans have gone down the loony end.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I fear that the same will also be the biggest failure of Biden's presidency, if he should go on to win the election (as I very much hope he does, obviously). It doesn't seem to have occurred to ANY of the mainstream Democratic leadership just how profound the shift in American politics has been, and the consensus among that class of politician seems to be that we just need to get rid of Trump and everything will revert back to the way it was. There just doesn't seem to be an understanding yet that Trump isn't a bug in the system, he is a feature.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Mr Bean wrote: 2020-08-02 07:49am
Elfdart wrote: 2020-08-02 07:45am Too bad he wasn't president with big majorities in both houses when he took office -otherwise he, Reid and Pelosi could have done something.

Oh wait...
Or the second time during the 2010 election when Congress was re-sworn in and they could change the rules with a simple majority vote.
Or the third time during the 2012 election when Congress was re-sworn in and they could change the rules with a simple majority vote and they did but just to make judges easier

Oddly despite only have 51-54 Senators the Republicans in 2016, 2018 and today get a lot of what they want done despite filibusters.
Errr... Like what? Their main legislative achievements is a tax cut.

Most of their other achievements were done via executive powers.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

PainRack wrote: 2020-08-04 10:07am

Oh wait...

In the past 4 years, the GOP has used the Senate majority to nominate and pass a huge number of judges, far more than previous administrations.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ace Pace wrote: 2020-08-04 10:52am
PainRack wrote: 2020-08-04 10:07am

In the past 4 years, the GOP has used the Senate majority to nominate and pass a huge number of judges, far more than previous administrations.
Yah. But that's done by removing the fillibuster....so.. why object to removing the fillibuster now?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Because Republicans by and large have no morals or values whatsoever, other than "I've got mine, fuck everyone else". They supported limiting the fillibuster when they were in power and to their advantage, now they want it to obstruct when faced with the possibility of a Democratic Senate.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

PainRack wrote: 2020-08-04 02:42pm Yah. But that's done by removing the fillibuster....so.. why object to removing the fillibuster now?
You need to approach it from the standpoint that the Republican Party/Tea Party is the sole legitimate government of America. That means that the filibuster is good when it hobbles efforts by illegitimate politicians like Democrats but bad when it interferes with the real government doing business.