Trump retweets post saying that "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat".

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Trump retweets post saying that "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat".

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://washingtonpost.com/politics/202 ... -democrat/
If there was ever a tweet tailor-made for promotion by President Trump, it might be this one: A video by an account called “Cowboys for Trump” in which the speaker begins by saying, “The only good Democrat is a dead Democrat.” The speaker quickly qualifies that he’s not speaking literally.

At precisely midnight, the president felt this was the kind of message that people needed to see. “Thank you Cowboys. See you in New Mexico!” he said in a retweet.

Thank you Cowboys. See you in New Mexico! https://t.co/aCRJeskUA8

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 28, 2020
What lay ahead was entirely predictable. People are rightly pointing out that a president just promoted the idea of dead Democrats. Trump will have the kind of plausible deniability he craves — the guy even said he wasn’t being literal! — and the world will keep turning.

But the speaker has also made clear he wasn’t being entirely figurative. And Trump’s history with this kind of thing makes clear he knows exactly what he’s injecting into the national dialogue.

The video is actually more than a week old, having caused a stir back then. The speaker, an Otero County, N.M., commissioner named Couy Griffin, has already been disavowed by the New Mexico Republican Party, even if he was just speaking figuratively.

The Republican Party of New Mexico wants to state for the record that any statements, whether in jest or serious about harming another individual are just plain wrong.

— New Mexico GOP (@NewMexicoGOP) May 20, 2020
“The Republican Party of New Mexico wants to state for the record that any statements, whether in jest or serious about harming another individual are just plain wrong,” the party said in a tweet on May 20. The Young Republicans of New Mexico have also called for him to apologize.

Griffin initially declined to back down and claimed persecution, though he eventually said he “could’ve chosen a different verbiage, you know. I guess I need to be more careful when I choose the words that I speak.”

But his other comments indicated he’s not entirely discounting the idea of violence or dead Democrats.

In the same remarks, Griffin said that a “Plan B” after “Plan A” of winning elections would be some kind of uprising. “If we have to get shoulder-to-shoulder and create posses and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with our great sheriffs, we’ll fight you at the county lines, but we’re not letting you have our guns,” he said.

He was later asked by the Daily Beast whether protesters against coronavirus-related restrictions might resort to violence, and responded, “I’ll tell you what, partner, as far as I’m concerned, there’s not an option that’s not on the table.”

In the same interview, Griffin also suggested certain top Democrats might be executed for treason, citing Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) and Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D).

“You get to pick your poison: You either go before a firing squad, or you get the end of the rope,” Griffin said.

It’s exactly the kind of thing Trump does: He’s saying this thing, but he’s also saying that he’s not really saying this thing, and it’s your fault for misinterpreting.

But if there were any doubt that Trump was deliberately injecting this into the national dialogue, you only need to look at how many times he’s done this before.

Early in the 2016 election, Trump downplayed Russian President Vladimir Putin’s killing of journalists by saying the United States kills people, too. He would later repeatedly and conspicuously allude to the idea that he himself would kill journalists — while making sure to dismiss it.

“And then they said, you know, [Putin has] killed reporters, and I don’t like that. I’m totally against that,” Trump said. “By the way, I hate some of these people, but I’d never kill him. I hate them. No, I think — no, these people, honestly — I’ll be honest, I’ll be honest. I would never kill them. I would never do that.”

Trump then jokingly suggested he might reconsider. “Uh, let’s see. Meh?” he said. “No, I wouldn’t. I would never kill them.”

(Trump during a meeting with Putin in 2019 would seemingly return to this idea, saying “Get rid of them” about journalists he didn’t like and saying, “You don’t have this problem in Russia.”)

Trump also bonded with Putin over a scorn for journalists.

“Get rid of them. Fake news is a great term, isn't it? You don’t have this problem in Russia, but we do.”

“We also have,” Putin answered, in English. “It’s the same.”

They shared a chuckle. pic.twitter.com/atGGYxnwfc

— Jennifer Jacobs (@JenniferJJacobs) June 28, 2019
Later in the 2016 campaign, Trump obliquely referred to an armed uprising against Hillary Clinton’s judicial picks, saying there would be nothing you could do about them — “Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is. I don’t know.”

In 2019 at a rally, Trump asked what could be done about immigrants crossing the border illegally, to which one rallygoer responded, “Shoot them.” Trump replied, “That’s only in the Panhandle can you get away with that statement.”

After the tragedy in Charlottesville in 2017, Trump retweeted and then deleted a video depicting a train running over a CNN reporter.

In 2019, Trump also toyed with the idea of the military, police and Bikers for Trump getting violent with Antifa. “I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump — I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad.” He offered similar comments at a rally in Missouri, saying: “But they’re peaceful people, and Antifa and all — they’d better hope they stay that way. I hope they stay that way. I hope they stay that way.”

He hopes they stay that way, but he’s happy to repeatedly raise the specter of violence against people he dislikes — while clarifying that he’s not advocating it. Plenty of people will believe these musing are being exaggerated and taken out of context, but the thrust of all of them is unmistakable and consistent. It’s like that old, stereotypical mafia expression, “It’d be a shame if something happened to XYZ.”

It’s the same trick Griffin played in the video, and it’s the kind of rhetoric that, however hedged, is clearly purposeful and part of a long-running calculation.
This is a declaration of intent. And marching orders to his Brown Shirts.

For the time being, I will continue to argue that the legal and electoral processes must be allowed to play out, if only because there is not the national support to remove Trump by force, and there is unlikely to be unless he tries to overturn the election first. As much as I loath tolerating even one more day of this tyrant's regime, I have even less desire to start a war we will not win.

But make no mistake: Trump means to kill us. If you're black, or brown, or foreign, or non-Christian, or just dare to hold a different opinion than him, he and his mob Want. You. Dead. And if they get the chance, they will do it, just as they have killed tens of thousands of Americans by needlessly exposing them to coronavirus.

I am a Democrat. I have friends and family who are Democrat. This thing who dares to call himself our President just publicly said that we should die, knowing that many in his base will take that as the instruction that it is.

As far as I am concerned, Trump has just declared a war of aggression against me, my family, my party and my countrymen. I wish to stress here that while I continue, for the time being, to oppose the Left initiating violence, my objections are purely practical, not moral, and I would urge everyone in opposition to Trump to take all possible actions within the limits of the law to prepare themselves, their families, and their communities for armed conflict.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FireNexus
Cookie

Re: Trump retweets post saying that "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat".

Post by FireNexus »

Was there ever a post that more deserved placement in the Trump Dump than “Trump tweets some random, shitty thing”?
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump retweets post saying that "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat".

FireNexus wrote: 2020-05-28 10:31pm Was there ever a post that more deserved placement in the Trump Dump than “Trump tweets some random, shitty thing”?
I don't know, I guess it depends on how significant you think it is when the President declares his desire (and effectively issues orders) to exterminate half the electorate.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-28 10:33pmI don't know, I guess it depends on how significant you think it is when the President declares his desire (and effectively issues orders) to exterminate half the electorate.
It would be significant if it were actually new. The whole point of the trump dumps is to avoid the page being cluttered with a barrage of “Trump says/does/tweets a horrible/shitty/stupid thing” because he does it constantly.

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Again, the sitting President of the United States literally just said every Democrat should die, knowing he has followers who will act on it.

I've hated Trump for a long damn time. I've wanted him gone and rotting in jail for a long damn time. But this? This is fucking personal. I am a Democrat. I have family and friends who are Democrats. My "President" just publicly said that I we deserve to die for what we believe. As far as I am concerned, that man just declared war on me, personally.

And yeah, its not the first utterly horrific thing he's said. It won't be the last. But it should fucking terrify us that the response to the President publicly saying that tens of millions of his own citizens should die is "oh its just another shitty thing Trump said". Think about what that says, about how normalized fascism has already become, when an endorsement of mass murder from the sitting President is "just Donald being Donald".

For God's sake, the man who controls the most powerful military in the world just declared, publicly, that you deserve to die for what you believe in. Are you really just going to shrug that off?

Call me hysterical if you want. You know what? People fucking should be hysterical about this. If more people had gotten hysterical sooner, maybe we wouldn't be here.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-28 10:54pmAre you really just going to shrug that off?
He said I should drink bleach three weeks ago. He tacitly endorsed Nazis hitting me with their car three years ago. Every fucking day he does something that puts me in direct danger and shows a callous disregard for my life AT BEST. So, yes. I plan to shrug it off and vote him out.

And, honestly, what are you doing that couldn’t also be described as “shrugging it off”? The President declared war on you and yours, so your counterattack is to create a new thread to preach to your 20ish person strong choir instead of putting it in the “the President has been in a state of open war against you for four years” megathread?

I’m sure he’s shaking in his fucking boots. I bet it annoys him every time he goes to N&P.
Call me hysterical if you want.
Not the exact word I’d use. But close enough.

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's great that you can be so calm in the face of the President calling for your extermination. Good for you. Some of us haven't gotten to the point of accepting this as normal yet.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-29 12:13am That's great that you can be so calm in the face of the President calling for your extermination. Good for you. Some of us haven't gotten to the point of accepting this as normal yet.
It’s good to know that when the actual extermination starts, you’re going to be posting new threads about every crime against humanity. Wouldn’t want to normalize it by using the designated megathread!

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FireNexus wrote: 2020-05-29 12:22am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-29 12:13am That's great that you can be so calm in the face of the President calling for your extermination. Good for you. Some of us haven't gotten to the point of accepting this as normal yet.
It’s good to know that when the actual extermination starts, you’re going to be posting new threads about every crime against humanity. Wouldn’t want to normalize it by using the designated megathread!
If it does come to that, I will be volunteering my services to the fight in whatever way I can be of the most use. Should I fail to do so, feel free to condemn me as a coward, a hypocrite, and a collaborator, for whatever good it will do.