Voter purge USA

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Voter purge USA

Post by madd0ct0r »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2020-05-15 11:52am
Zaune wrote: 2020-05-14 07:15pm And here in the UK, not only do we manage to prevent voter fraud without demanding photo ID for the most part (mostly by tying the registration process to the local equivalent of Social Security numbers) but we manage pretty well without any kind of standard photo ID system at all.

And I happen to agree with some of those sovereign citizen types about some of their concerns, incidentally. Albeit mostly because the current US Supreme Court would be unlikely to object to making failure to present it to a police officer on demand an arrestable offence.
Indeed. At the election back in December (a typical one in method if not timing), we got send polling cards well in advance, telling us when (and where) we go to vote. You didn't need to take ID - or even the polling cards. They had a big list, sorted by name and address. You step up, give them name, they confirm the address, cross you off that list, give you a ballot card and send you off to a booth. Simple, quick, no ID required. The first time I heard about how voting is done in the States I actually laughed and couldn't believe it was that different to here.
Don't be too smug. The Tories are bringing Id requirements to the UK. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... -elections

That's 750 obviously fraudulent people stopped! (That's 750 poor people blocked).
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Oh for fucks sake.

Well, fine. I'm fine with them insisting on showing ID to vote if all the MP's have to show their passports for House of Commons votes. And all the Cabinet votes. Can't have different rules for the people and the leaders after all.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2020-05-15 11:52am
Zaune wrote: 2020-05-14 07:15pm And here in the UK, not only do we manage to prevent voter fraud without demanding photo ID for the most part (mostly by tying the registration process to the local equivalent of Social Security numbers) but we manage pretty well without any kind of standard photo ID system at all.

And I happen to agree with some of those sovereign citizen types about some of their concerns, incidentally. Albeit mostly because the current US Supreme Court would be unlikely to object to making failure to present it to a police officer on demand an arrestable offence.
Indeed. At the election back in December (a typical one in method if not timing), we got send polling cards well in advance, telling us when (and where) we go to vote. You didn't need to take ID - or even the polling cards. They had a big list, sorted by name and address. You step up, give them name, they confirm the address, cross you off that list, give you a ballot card and send you off to a booth. Simple, quick, no ID required. The first time I heard about how voting is done in the States I actually laughed and couldn't believe it was that different to here.
That used to be how it was done in a lot of states and how it still is in some. Identification requirements are a relatively recent thing; my own state didn't require identification to vote until 2008.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

Broomstick wrote: 2020-05-14 05:44pm
Solauren wrote: 2020-05-13 10:20pm Are state issued drivers licenses photo ids?
Don't passports count as photo id?
Yes, passports are photo ID's and they are the gold standard. Or at least they're supposed to be - I've occasionally encountered morons who don't even recognize a passport when they see one and don't understand it's valid ID for just about anything. But to get one you need a legal residence, birth certificate, proof of citizenship, and proof of legal name.
The birth certificate must be a certified birth certificate from the state from which one is born. It needs to have the state's seal; this, of course is time and money. The certificate one's mother was given at birth does not count.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

chimericoncogene wrote: 2020-05-14 11:03pm America and the UK are so weird. A national ID, fingerprinting and facial recognition is the bare minimum expected of a functional modern state.
As someone who lives in such a fascist utopia (with bonus "race" and "religion" categories listed for convenience of discrimination) I would love to see an end of "papers please" and agree with Tribble up-thread that if government insists on these fripperies they should be responsible for granting them in a rapid manner and bear the entire cost of handing them out.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zwinmar wrote: 2020-05-15 12:54pm The social security card was never intended to be an ID itself, it even says so the card.
They've actually taken that off the newly printed cards. If you get a replacement for an old one that's been lost it won't have that line on it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Aether wrote: 2020-05-15 03:32pm
Broomstick wrote: 2020-05-14 05:44pm
Solauren wrote: 2020-05-13 10:20pm Are state issued drivers licenses photo ids?
Don't passports count as photo id?
Yes, passports are photo ID's and they are the gold standard. Or at least they're supposed to be - I've occasionally encountered morons who don't even recognize a passport when they see one and don't understand it's valid ID for just about anything. But to get one you need a legal residence, birth certificate, proof of citizenship, and proof of legal name.
The birth certificate must be a certified birth certificate from the state from which one is born. It needs to have the state's seal; this, of course is time and money. The certificate one's mother was given at birth does not count.
You are incorrect - because in quite a few places it is NOT issued by the state. Mine, for example, is issued by the city of my birth. As I already mentioned upthread, in New York City they are (or were at one time, not sure if it is still the case) the borough of birth. In my current state of residence and in two others I have lived in they are issued by county. And yes, in some cases they are issued by the state. Even if tomorrow this was changed that would not change that prior to that point in time millions of people have birth certificates NOT issued by a state. Which, again, is a problem when the bureaucrat you're dealing with has the same misinformation you do, that in all cases it is issued by the state. They're not.

But you are correct they they must be certified copies with a raised seal.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice