Gun-advocates threaten civil war to protect their guns.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gun-advocates threaten civil war to protect their guns.

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-21 10:53am
Broomstick wrote: 2019-09-21 10:02am Eventually, those who don't feel a need to arm themselves are going to get tired of the situation and start voting to take action. Actions that I'm certain the gun owners/users aren't going to like. But there are twice as many non-gun-owners in the US as gun owners, so in a direct vote the gun-owners are highly likely to lose.
Do your numbers account for scenarios where one person has a gun, but others in the same dwelling might be stakeholders in it?
It's actually based on stats for "gun-owning households", which means yes, those stake-holders are accounted for.

What's not accounted for would be people such as myself - I have never actually owned a gun in my life, but I have certainly used them by borrowing them when going to a shooting range with a friend (I may not own a gun but I own a gun cleaning kit because I do clean up after myself). Also, I have benefited from the hunting expedition of some friends. So while I definitely enjoy using guns in a responsible manner, and like having the option to own, if there was a ban on, say, AR-15's and their kin it would not directly affect me in the same manner as a gun owner.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zwinmar wrote: 2019-09-21 11:59am Of course you have the right to not be shot (using the you here for an 'in general" not a specific). Everyone has the right to be safe in their person.

The gun is the great equalizer. The average 4'8" woman stand no real chance against a male 6' tall and 200 lbs without one, and you cannot rely on the cops to be their when needed, even 2 minutes away is too long.
I get that, being a woman on the small side. On the other hand, guns are a "great equalizer" until everyone has guns. Then you have different issues but a lot of carnage.

Also, just holding a gun doesn't make you automatically safer. Guns can be taken away from someone uncertain and afraid. Not everyone is mentally capable of shooting/killing another human being. And if you aren't paying attention or distracted and the bad guy shoots you first you won't have a chance to deploy your gun in the first place.

In other words, I don't think arming everyone is a viable solution, either.

I do agree with you that there are some irrational players and bigots here, but they exist on both sides. No, being a vet does not automatically mean you're deranged. And what you suggest - better training/certification - is something where you have common ground with many gun control advocates. By finding common ground maybe you can diminish the influence of the nutballs (on both sides).
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

A lot of people don't seem to be getting the point that others (not simply on this site) have been making. I work with high school students. They are fucking terrified by how many shootings are occuring and how easily people who should not be allowed access to firearms keep getting firearms. If something isn't done about this, in 20 years when they have the power these kids are going to take your guns and they aren't going to give a shit if they pry them from your cold dead hands. They just don't want to be scared anymore and all the rationalizations you can provide are not going to do shit about it unless there is some action to back it up.

And the thing is, I really like guns. If I had more income I would definately have a small collection of firearms I liked. But even I'm sick of the endless bitching by guns-rights activists about people coming to take their property. Society bans things that are harmful to itself all the time, even if those things have legitimate uses. DDT nearly wiped out bedbugs in America, Leaded paint and gasoline had advantages, CFCs were great refrigerants but you don't see many of them around anymore. Unless gun-rights activitists actually make pushes to truly ensure that mass shootings stop people aren't going to care about your rights because they just want to go about their lives without worrying about being shot. And if you can't empathise with this feeling you are going to be labeled as part of the problem, whether it is fair or not.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dark Hellion wrote: 2019-09-21 02:42pm A lot of people don't seem to be getting the point that others (not simply on this site) have been making. I work with high school students. They are fucking terrified by how many shootings are occuring and how easily people who should not be allowed access to firearms keep getting firearms. If something isn't done about this, in 20 years when they have the power these kids are going to take your guns and they aren't going to give a shit if they pry them from your cold dead hands.
^ This.

Eventually they'll take the guns away and if some gun-owners get killed (because they won't relinquish them short of the "pry them out of my cold, dead hands" point) those terrified/traumatized kids will write them off and view it as self-defense. If you push people to the point that they believe the only way to avoid being shot it to take all the guns away they'll do that - as I said, citing self-defense and "making the world a better place for my children".

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-09-21 10:02amPart of the problem in the US is that the non-gun owners (and even some of the gun-owners) are fucking fed up with being at risk of getting shot while going about their daily lives. There is no way to opt-out of the risks. If the risks of owning/using guns was limited solely to those who choose to own guns that would be one thing, but it's not - everyone is at risk.
Are they? I keep hearing that and the years keep going by. 2012 was a(nother) moment we could have done something.... and nothing.

The GOP is blocking a lot of it. They have to go, but as long as they have a swelling for conservative support in fly-over states, that's a hard sell. And as those states continue to sink into poverty and drug addiction (something no politician seems to even want to tackle), they are only going to harden in their convictions. The other problem is moderate recreational shooters who are in major support of background checks, etc. And then they balk when you talk about buybacks because, as already stated, they probably own an AR-15 derivative and "I never thought the law would apply to me!"
Eventually, those who don't feel a need to arm themselves are going to get tired of the situation and start voting to take action. Actions that I'm certain the gun owners/users aren't going to like. But there are twice as many non-gun-owners in the US as gun owners, so in a direct vote the gun-owners are highly likely to lose.
Who are they going to vote for? It's not like mass shootings haven't been in the public eye for well over a decade. We've had multiple election cycles to "put our foot down" but the DNC treats gun control as a stump and nothing else out of fear of election retribution like in the 90s.

If Beto wanted to be productive, rather than just stumping, maybe he could just routinely point out, and get angry, that the GOP is consistently blocking expansions of the background check system, something of which 90% of Murricans believe needs an overhaul. Instead it's "That gun YOU OWN is killing people and we hate it. WE'RE TAKING IT FROM YOU!" thus putting even moderate gun owners on the defensive.
The smartest tactic is for the gun-owners to compromise with the non-gun-owners before the latter get completely fed up and/or driven to panic. But by golly AMURICUNTS are going to stand up for their GOD GIVEN RIGHTS! Because "compromise" is now seen as a dirty word and the action itself as a sign of weakness and moral depravity.
No it's not really. Not IMO. Their best bet is to knuckle down and just wait out backlash and rely on their party to support them, which they always do when it comes to guns. Because "liberal panic" about guns is a myth. If Sandy Hook couldn't get any action, what is? They'll just "deal" like how Murrican's tolerate our roadways being killing fields.

This is probably the most support gun nuts are ever going to have, it's going to slip away no matter what. Better to fight at 110% on everything forcing the Dems to make concessions, not the other way around. Make only the concessions they need to get the liberals back to eating each other.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I agree that that is the way things have gone, but the old guard will inevitably die out and the next generations growing up will be less white and own fewer guns. Which scares the fuck out of the old guard.

If the pro-gun types dig in their heels and refuse to compromise... then there will be no compromise. It will take another generation, but eventually the demographics mean they will be steam-rolled and they will lose all their guns, not just some.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-09-21 01:31am Your string of personal smears aside (because let's be honest, that's just par for the course on this board), let's address a few points:

1. I did not say that Lonestar supports pedophilia. But at the same time, people are judged, fairly or not, by the company that they keep, and the people they league themselves with. And Carlson's vices are relevant here- it is often those who most victimize others who scream loudest about how their "rights" are being violated, as Carlson does- a man who's down with raping little girls shouting about how murdering politicians or cops and starting a fucking civil war is the fault of gun-control advocates because its all to defend gun rights. Just like the Confederate fuckers screamed about how they were being oppressed when people tried to even modestly limit the spread of slavery. So I think that Lonestar and others would do well to think about the company they keep, and who's "rights" the leading gun advocates are interested in protecting. Because it sure as fuck ain't the poor, or minorities, or women, or rape victims, or political dissidents. The NRA and its media and Congressional lapdogs are overwhelmingly the Alt. Reich's loyal creatures, and that informs who's "rights" they want these guns to protect.

That's just a fact, and you whining about how gun control advocates are the real racists just makes you sound like an Alt. Reichist screaming about how the SJWs are persecuting them and white men are the real victims of oppression.

Edit: Frankly, I don't get what the hell you're talking about with "gun control advocates are racists". It seems completely out of left field, an almost random smear.
Hi!

You do a lot of complaining about smears while doing a hell of a good job smearing others by putting words, political ideologies, and rape apology into their mouths. You just use the accusations as a shield from criticism and then dish out what you accuse others of doing.

You didn't even address Lonestar's argument, namely being a projection of how the political conversation will go. Here is the thing with Lonestar, he's broadly progressive AND supports gun rights. He views the history of gun control in the US as a racist history. Because it fucking is (something that the Liberals - note I am using that term as a communist to mean both democrats and republics - have simply let skip over their god damned minds); and generally supports sensible gun control measures. Historically black communities have been targeted with gun control measures to keep them from engaging in community self-defense when the cops were literally assassinating their leaders.

But hey, nuance is beyond you. I get that. But this time, you've broken your own nose with your knee jerk bullshit. Warning issued. Report closed.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-09-21 03:07pmI agree that that is the way things have gone, but the old guard will inevitably die out and the next generations growing up will be less white and own fewer guns. Which scares the fuck out of the old guard.
This will have to lead the GOP to either die or transition into not ousting minorities, of whom may/may not be tired of the Dem emphasis on the "white" problem. I still hold that the main reason many minorities vote Dem is because they, rightfully in many cases, think the GOP hates them. If that "old guard" dies and more prominent (esp Hispanic) minorities get into positions of power: they'll have a massive well-spring. If the GOP skirts the issue and says "it's not guns, it's mental health and background checks" and actually DOES something with it.... well, then.

Also, for every AOC out there, there's a Ted Cruz.
If the pro-gun types dig in their heels and refuse to compromise... then there will be no compromise. It will take another generation, but eventually the demographics mean they will be steam-rolled and they will lose all their guns, not just some.
But compromise is just going to get them to that point faster. If the current crop wants to hold the line until they are dead: I honestly consider that a smart move if their goal is "keepin' muh gunz, any cost." This will ensure they hold onto them (all of them) for the longest. And pass the fight (if they even want it) onto their kids and grandkids.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

You know what Fenix, 5 years ago I was completely on the gun-rights side. But now, its harder and harder for me to give a fuck. I work in schools. I get to hear students talk about being scared of gun violence. Now I am not afraid of a mass shooter but I am just tired of it. I am tired of having to know the evacuation routes from every goddamn room, of having to know where the objects that can be used to break a window out in case we have to get out that way. I am tired of having to know how to break up lines of fire in long hallways. I am tired of teaching 5 year olds how to throw objects at a shooter to distract them and ensure the highest survival rate.
I have fond memories of growing up with guns, of plinking targets with a .22 and taking out the pellet gun to shoot birds. But it is getting harder for me to give a fuck when I have to deal with the fallout of the inability of America to actually get a fucking handle on a problem that no other Western nation has. And if I am this fucking sick and tire of it, imagine how much more tired the kids who didn't grow up with guns, but only grew up with Sandy Hook and Parkland are. If I give zero fucks if SWAT came and took your fucking toys from you how many fucks do you think they give about making that happen? This is what you are actually dealing with, not your goddamn little bubble that thinks that somehow you'll weather the storm.
-GTO

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Then you need better politicians to vote for. When Trump is doing a better job concerning gun control than Democrats.... woof.

You assume I have a dog in this fight. I don't. I'm just stating how I believe this is going to play out. I have serious doubts about not only the effectiveness of bans, but also that I'll ever see one in my lifetime.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

As opposed to using apparently problematic terms like assault rifle and such, would it be more practical to phrase things in terms like "can fire more than x rounds per second" and other similarly phrased metrics?

I assume I'm missing something, but I remain curious.

EDIT: Also, cheers Broomstick for the clarification.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

TheFeniX wrote: 2019-09-21 08:55pm Then you need better politicians to vote for. When Trump is doing a better job concerning gun control than Democrats.... woof.

You assume I have a dog in this fight. I don't. I'm just stating how I believe this is going to play out. I have serious doubts about not only the effectiveness of bans, but also that I'll ever see one in my lifetime.
This is a really lame bullshit deflection. If you didn't care why are you arguing in this thread?
-GTO

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-21 09:16pm As opposed to using apparently problematic terms like assault rifle and such, would it be more practical to phrase things in terms like "can fire more than x rounds per second" and other similarly phrased metrics?

The weapons in question are semi-automatic (that is to say, one trigger pull sends one round down range, and loads the next) rifles. This means that the rate of fire is dependent on both the cycling rate of the gun, and on how fast an individual can pull the trigger. Because the time at which the gun can cycle out a spent round and cycle a new round in to be ready to fire it is less than the time it takes a human to move from one trigger pull to the next, it is a human factor that is limiting. This is actually how the bump-stock came into being. The idea of the bump stock was to add an additional, external mechanism to the gun to allow for recoil energy to be used to repeatedly pull the trigger at a rate in excess of what would normally be humanly possible. The primary factor in mechanically limiting the rate at which rounds could be sent down range would be limitations to the number of rounds that could fired before a reloading action.

Even when you get out of semi-automatic weapons, bolt-action rifles can have rates of fire as high as 10 rounds in 6.5 seconds, and revolvers as high as eight rounds in one second or six rounds, a reload, and six more rounds in 2.9 seconds. Now, these rates are maximum human performance, but they also show that the limits are from human performance, not mechanical performance.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2019-09-21 03:08pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-09-21 01:31am Your string of personal smears aside (because let's be honest, that's just par for the course on this board), let's address a few points:

1. I did not say that Lonestar supports pedophilia. But at the same time, people are judged, fairly or not, by the company that they keep, and the people they league themselves with. And Carlson's vices are relevant here- it is often those who most victimize others who scream loudest about how their "rights" are being violated, as Carlson does- a man who's down with raping little girls shouting about how murdering politicians or cops and starting a fucking civil war is the fault of gun-control advocates because its all to defend gun rights. Just like the Confederate fuckers screamed about how they were being oppressed when people tried to even modestly limit the spread of slavery. So I think that Lonestar and others would do well to think about the company they keep, and who's "rights" the leading gun advocates are interested in protecting. Because it sure as fuck ain't the poor, or minorities, or women, or rape victims, or political dissidents. The NRA and its media and Congressional lapdogs are overwhelmingly the Alt. Reich's loyal creatures, and that informs who's "rights" they want these guns to protect.

That's just a fact, and you whining about how gun control advocates are the real racists just makes you sound like an Alt. Reichist screaming about how the SJWs are persecuting them and white men are the real victims of oppression.

Edit: Frankly, I don't get what the hell you're talking about with "gun control advocates are racists". It seems completely out of left field, an almost random smear.
Hi!

You do a lot of complaining about smears while doing a hell of a good job smearing others by putting words, political ideologies, and rape apology into their mouths. You just use the accusations as a shield from criticism and then dish out what you accuse others of doing.

You didn't even address Lonestar's argument, namely being a projection of how the political conversation will go. Here is the thing with Lonestar, he's broadly progressive AND supports gun rights. He views the history of gun control in the US as a racist history. Because it fucking is (something that the Liberals - note I am using that term as a communist to mean both democrats and republics - have simply let skip over their god damned minds); and generally supports sensible gun control measures. Historically black communities have been targeted with gun control measures to keep them from engaging in community self-defense when the cops were literally assassinating their leaders.

But hey, nuance is beyond you. I get that. But this time, you've broken your own nose with your knee jerk bullshit. Warning issued. Report closed.
Noted. I apologize if I misunderstood Lonestar's point, which I took to be agreement with Tucker Carlson and others' argument. However, you attribute motives to me that are not mine. I object, as always, to the claim that I make things up to shield myself from criticism. I mean what I say. I may be right, I may be wrong, I may be jumping to conclusions, but I mean it.

As for your views on gun control: I understand that it is not considered appropriate to dispute a moderator's warning in public. However, it is also not common practice for a moderator to use an official warning to debate someone's position/argument, for reasons that should be obvious (lack of impartiality and the inability of the other person to defend their position in turn). Therefore, without disputing your ruling on my conduct, I will address your arguments on gun control as follows:

First, branding the entire gun control movement as racist is a blatant ad hominem, and I could turn it around and say (with at least as much justification) that this history of gun advocacy is largely driven by racism. The history of the US is racist-period. But there's nothing uniquely racist about gun control, and its advocates.

You appear to be arguing that guns will protect minorities from violence. I think that might have merit in some circumstances, but the reality is that there are far more guns in the hands of often overtly racist Right-wing militias, and that its all a moot point if we got to something on the scale of a civil war, because the outcome would be decided entirely by who the professional armed forces backed. If Trump orders the troops in, and they obey, ANTIFA is not going to save us from them. What matters at that point is how much of the armed forces we have on our side, nothing more. Of course, in your opinion this "nuanced" view no doubt makes me just a fascist collaborator (that's not me putting words in your mouth- if you wish I can quote and link the thread where you once called me "Quislingesque" for opposing Left-wing militias).

Regarding your false equivalency of Democrats and Republicans (laughably lumping them both together under the term "Liberal"), it is objectively false. The two major parties hold strikingly and obviously different positions on numerous issues, from the environment to health care to refugees to gay rights to whether the President should be above the law, not to mention the numerous individual differences between specific politicians and factions. The "Both Sides" narrative is a lazy, trite, openly-dishonest cliche which appeals to cynicism and employs false equivalency, often masquerading as "fairness", to encourage either political apathy or political extremism (as you yourself acknowledge, your motive for using it is that you are a communist).

Moreover the effects of this narrative can be plainly observed: the Greens and the Libertarians and the Bernie-or-Busters used this exact same line (egged on by the Kremlin) to justify letting Trump win in 2016, and they're getting ready to try and do it again, because apparently they learned nothing from the last three years. If you want the single biggest reason why Trump is President and why there are little refugee children dying in cages- its this narrative, which has severely compromised our entire society's ability to engage in meaningful political discussion, replacing it with with a lazy cliche.

I fully expect that you will try to have me banned for "arguing with a moderator's ruling" for posting this. I wouldn't be surprised if that was your intent when you used an official warning argue my points, and included a completely off-topic and gratuitous false equivalency that you must have known I would feel obliged to argue. Be that as it may, my only intent here is to defend my position reg. gun control, which to the best of my knowledge is still permitted under board rules.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Fuck's sake, TTR, they both are liberal in the sense Alyrium used. Get out of your bubble.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Granted, its off-topic, but I'd be curious to see the mental gymnastics that define the current Republicans (not the Republicans ten or twenty years ago) as liberal and not neo-fascist.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-09-21 11:25pm Granted, its off-topic, but I'd be curious to see the mental gymnastics that define the current Republicans (not the Republicans ten or twenty years ago) as liberal and not neo-fascist.
It requires no gymnastics. Republicans and Democrats both emphasize private property rights and view issues like racism as predominantly individual, moral failings (even if they recognize a systemic character, they relegate the cause to individual actors rather than the underlying economic structures involved). They emphasize the rights of the individual, idolize the idea of liberty (and before you go 'but the concentration camps', Republicans are still all about that shit, they've just drawn a line in the sand on who ought to be American while maintaining that Americans ought to enjoy liberty), and back capitalism in varied forms and implementations rather than desiring its overthrow and replacement. They are both liberal, because to most of the rest of the world (and certainly not to anarchists, socialists, and communists), liberalism doesn't mean 'progressive' or 'left' the way you yanks use it. You may find the following song enlightening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLqKXrlD1TU

We could of course go round and round on whether the current Republican establishment is sufficiently fash-y to disqualify them as liberal in the proper sense, but that would be a waste of time primarily because fascists - as you ought to know, having invoked their spectre - ride liberalism to power, and so the transitional period may be categorized quite comfortably as either. Perhaps, though, you'd like to go ahead and lay out proof of your position that they aren't liberal, since you've accused someone using perfectly orthodox political terminology of a false equivalency fallacy.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-21 09:16pm As opposed to using apparently problematic terms like assault rifle and such, would it be more practical to phrase things in terms like "can fire more than x rounds per second" and other similarly phrased metrics?

Not really. That's part of the problem with even having a discussion about guns. Assault rifles really aren't objectively more dangerous than any other type of gun. Nearly all guns have the same rate of fire: they will fire 1 bullet per trigger pull, and the .223" wide bullet that most assault rifles fire is actually one of the smallest rifle bullets. There's really no objective measurement that would cover only assault rifles and wouldn't also cover a bunch of guns that gun control advocates say that they aren't trying to ban.

(Since this is a controversial issue with a lot of people questioning each others motives, I should note that I don't now or have ever owned any guns, and in fact I have never even fired a gun)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-09-21 10:56pm
Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2019-09-21 03:08pm

Hi!

Noted. I apologize if I misunderstood Lonestar's point, which I took to be agreement with Tucker Carlson and others' argument. However, you attribute motives to me that are not mine. I object, as always, to the claim that I make things up to shield myself from criticism. I mean what I say. I may be right, I may be wrong, I may be jumping to conclusions, but I mean it.
Oh I'm certainly not saying you make things up. It's likely subconscious.
As for your views on gun control: I understand that it is not considered appropriate to dispute a moderator's warning in public. However, it is also not common practice for a moderator to use an official warning to debate someone's position/argument, for reasons that should be obvious (lack of impartiality and the inability of the other person to defend their position in turn). Therefore, without disputing your ruling on my conduct, I will address your arguments on gun control as follows:
No no. You see, this is me debating you. What I did there was call you out on your bullshit. They are two entirely different things and you will notice the font color changed appropriately.

First, branding the entire gun control movement as racist is a blatant ad hominem, and I could turn it around and say (with at least as much justification) that this history of gun advocacy is largely driven by racism. The history of the US is racist-period. But there's nothing uniquely racist about gun control, and its advocates.
And you're utilizing a strawman. I didn't say the entire gun control movement is racist. I said that the history is a racist one. These are two different statements. Historically, gun control laws - until very recently in the history of the country - were used to target communities of color. And even when they weren't, they've been enforced on the basis of race (See Stop and Frisk), and even legal conduct is de facto criminalized with a death sentence for carrying a gun while black. See Philando Castile. A white person and a black person can do the exact same legal thing - carrying a gun - one ends up dead if that's reported to the police for some reason, and the other one does not.

See, that's the problem. White liberals who are the biggest advocates for gun control just don't fucking get it. They live in a personal universe where they can trust the police to protect them, or at minimum not murder them. If you call in on a home invasion, the police won't enter your home and shoot you on reflex. They will do that with black people armed or no, so having a means of self-defense other than calling the police is a necessity - or at least perceived as such - in many communities of color, and history tells them that self-defense from the police might also sometimes be a necessity. Because the police have absolutely assassinated black political leaders within living memory. See Fred Hampton.

And now they have right-wing militias to deal with, and you and I both know who the cops are going to side with. Outside Kamikaze Sith's jurisdiction anyway (SLC PD have killed exactly one person in the last 5 years or so last I checked, and that was a Nazi. Plus I know he'll defect to the revolution if push comes to shove.). That's just the logical end point of widespread white supremacist "infiltration" of law enforcement. I use the quotes because it's a feature of american law enforcement, not a bug. The police have always helped to enforce white supremacy in this country.

That was the other part of Lonestar's whole point. Any gun ban will have to be enforced by the police. Racist goons who support - and have always institutionally supported - the oligarch-controlled state; who will send black people to prison where they will be enslaved by said oligarch-controlled state.

At minimum, this is a reality you must grapple with in any discussion on gun bans.
You appear to be arguing that guns will protect minorities from violence.
It gives them a chance, or at least a chance to take someone with them.
I think that might have merit in some circumstances, but the reality is that there are far more guns in the hands of often overtly racist Right-wing militias, and that its all a moot point if we got to something on the scale of a civil war, because the outcome would be decided entirely by who the professional armed forces backed.
That might matter if the only thing we were talking about was a full-scale civil war, but we're not. There are other possibilities, such as a local right-wing militia acting with police acquiescence or cooperation. That's happened repeatedly in the history of this country, the Ludlow Massacre for instance, or basically the whole of the Jim Crow south including the sack of Black Wall Street. Or for that matter Charlottesville. In those cases, left wing militias and community defense did work to limit the damage and casualties.
If Trump orders the troops in, and they obey, ANTIFA is not going to save us from them. What matters at that point is how much of the armed forces we have on our side, nothing more. Of course, in your opinion this "nuanced" view no doubt makes me just a fascist collaborator (that's not me putting words in your mouth- if you wish I can quote and link the thread where you once called me "Quislingesque" for opposing Left-wing militias).
That depends on how far the military is willing to go to kill their fellow citizens, and there are limits to the amount of damage to local infrastructure the military will be willing to commit on their own soil. If it did come down to a civil war with no limits, citizen partisans can make it rather difficult for the military to hold territory. For instance, Iraq and Afghanistan.

No need to quote me. I remember. And I agree with myself.
Regarding your false equivalency of Democrats and Republicans (laughably lumping them both together under the term "Liberal"), it is objectively false.
No no. It isn't a false equivalency. There is a reason why I differentiated it with the Capital-L Liberalism, as opposed to the small-l liberalism, the later being a particular Americanism I have no use for, except apparently when I have to explain it to you. Both parties are Liberal, but different strains. They differ in their approach regarding the justifiable extent of government in restraining the actions of individuals. Small-l liberals (in the US, when they're not being corrupt) tend to favor more economic controls and reforms to capitalism and fewer social controls; while conservatives (when they're not being corrupt) tend to favor fewer economic controls and more social ones.

Of course the corruption is ubiquitous because neither rejects capitalism and thus in both cases to one extent or another, are corrupted by the influence of capital in the political system.

Loomer explained it pretty well. I'll just quote them. Though they do not utilize the capitalization for differentiation purposes, as I am careful to do.
Loomer wrote:It requires no gymnastics. Republicans and Democrats both emphasize private property rights and view issues like racism as predominantly individual, moral failings (even if they recognize a systemic character, they relegate the cause to individual actors rather than the underlying economic structures involved). They emphasize the rights of the individual, idolize the idea of liberty (and before you go 'but the concentration camps', Republicans are still all about that shit, they've just drawn a line in the sand on who ought to be American while maintaining that Americans ought to enjoy liberty), and back capitalism in varied forms and implementations rather than desiring its overthrow and replacement. They are both liberal, because to most of the rest of the world (and certainly not to anarchists, socialists, and communists), liberalism doesn't mean 'progressive' or 'left' the way you yanks use it. You may find the following song enlightening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLqKXrlD1TU

We could of course go round and round on whether the current Republican establishment is sufficiently fash-y to disqualify them as liberal in the proper sense, but that would be a waste of time primarily because fascists - as you ought to know, having invoked their spectre - ride liberalism to power, and so the transitional period may be categorized quite comfortably as either. Perhaps, though, you'd like to go ahead and lay out proof of your position that they aren't liberal, since you've accused someone using perfectly orthodox political terminology of a false equivalency fallacy.
Other resources include this. Multipart series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlLgvSduugI
The two major parties hold strikingly and obviously different positions on numerous issues, from the environment to health care to refugees to gay rights to whether the President should be above the law, not to mention the numerous individual differences between specific politicians and factions. The "Both Sides" narrative is a lazy, trite, openly-dishonest cliche which appeals to cynicism and employs false equivalency, often masquerading as "fairness", to encourage either political apathy or political extremism (as you yourself acknowledge, your motive for using it is that you are a communist).
No, I mentioned it in my little aside to head off the bullshit you are attempting now. Both parties are Liberals, but only one of them are liberals. Seriously, you've existed on a board full of people outside the US and Canada for years which includes people from the non-anglosphere. You have to be deliberately obtuse to not understand that the way you use the term is unique to the North American continent and does not actually comply with the actual political philosophy. Do you jump to the defense of the Liberal Party of Australia and accuse the australians on the board of false-equivalency when they get compared with Republicans?
Moreover the effects of this narrative can be plainly observed: the Greens and the Libertarians and the Bernie-or-Busters used this exact same line (egged on by the Kremlin) to justify letting Trump win in 2016, and they're getting ready to try and do it again, because apparently they learned nothing from the last three years. If you want the single biggest reason why Trump is President and why there are little refugee children dying in cages- its this narrative, which has severely compromised our entire society's ability to engage in meaningful political discussion, replacing it with with a lazy cliche.
Now you're just going off on a (probably in-ignorance) strawman because you don't actually understand the topic you're trying to debate.
I fully expect that you will try to have me banned for "arguing with a moderator's ruling" for posting this. I wouldn't be surprised if that was your intent when you used an official warning argue my points, and included a completely off-topic and gratuitous false equivalency that you must have known I would feel obliged to argue.
Nope.
Be that as it may, my only intent here is to defend my position reg. gun control, which to the best of my knowledge is still permitted under board rules.
Exactly.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Dark Hellion wrote: 2019-09-21 09:33pmThis is a really lame bullshit deflection. If you didn't care why are you arguing in this thread?
Deflecting? Deflecting what? Your appeal to emotion? Your value judgements about me? You want to make assumptions about who I am and vent at me, sure fine. Just don't expect me to get all mad about it along with you.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

These days I'm leaning towards a metric like energy transferred at impact which is probably a better predictor of damage/death and hazard to bystanders.

Lengthy explanation of reasoning:
For example, when we had to eliminate raccoons from a building we delibrately went with an airgun that, for an airgun, was relatively high powered for an airgun (same size ammo but greater speed leaving the muzzle) but not as powerful as, say, a .22 handgun. We did that because while a .22 handgun slug could punch through interior walls (possibly also electrical conduit and/or plumbing) and injure someone in an adjoining room the airgun slugs were stopped by drywall, wooden bookshelves, etc. If by some accident (or stupidity on the part of the operator) a human being was shot it would be painful but unlikely to cause death.

In contrast, a .22 handgun, as noted, can put a bullet through a wall. Even potentially an exterior door. In addition to the hazard of building infrastructure springing a water leak due to a punctured pipe, it posed a hazard to people in other rooms or even outside the building.

A .22 bullet propelled by a rifle can be even more powerful and destructive.

In the US people have been shot sitting in their living room, or sleeping in their beds, when a bullet fired outside the building penetrates and exterior wall then penetrates a human body. Part of the problem with recent mass shootings is not just that someone has been shot, but that the bullet has obliterated a portion of the target. A handgun .22 or .38 can certainly kill, but it's not that unusual for the bullet to lodge in tissues or bone but leaving major structures intact, to the point that their sometimes left alone because removing them could cause more damage than leaving them in place. A bullet from an AR-15, though, can shatter bone into fragments, reduce soft tissue to ground meat, and create damage that is impossible to repair. Get shot in the thigh by a .22 handgun and you'll be in a lot of pain but as long as it doesn't hit a major artery you'll almost certainly live and walk again. Get shot by an "assault rifle" in the same spot if you're lucky you'll just lose the limb but it's a lot more likely you'll bleed out and die on the spot due to the massive damage caused.

All of the above is why a lot of places that ban (or highly restrict) firearms will allow airguns. It's not impossible to maim or kill someone with one, but it's a lot harder. They're not safe in absolute terms, but they are safer than some other weapons. It's not just about how many rounds in a time period a weapon can throw out, it's also about how much damage those bullets can do when they hit.

Regulating/restricting weapons based on their potential for damage makes sense to me. Responsible gun owners should be choosing their weapons on utility for purpose, which includes factors like minimizing overpenetration (yes, ammunition is also a factor in overpenetration or lack of it - no reason we couldn't make some rules about that, too, based on potential damage factors).
You're welcome.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-09-21 10:40amThe generation that grew up with active shooter drills at school are NOT going to be as tolerant as the prior generation of arguments for gun ownership.
Active shooter drills, the most spectacularly useless thing, next to TSA patdowns and having to go through metal detectors at the Smithsonian.

It's what got so many kids killed at Sandy Hook -- it's not something widely publicized; you have to read deeply into the Sandy Hook reports to figure out the disturbing truth.

Just use fire alarm drills as the base for active shooter drills; with the modification of "immediately exit the school area at all costs, do not gather on soccer field."
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

MKSheppard wrote: 2019-09-22 11:52am
Broomstick wrote: 2019-09-21 10:40amThe generation that grew up with active shooter drills at school are NOT going to be as tolerant as the prior generation of arguments for gun ownership.
Active shooter drills, the most spectacularly useless thing, next to TSA patdowns and having to go through metal detectors at the Smithsonian.

It's what got so many kids killed at Sandy Hook -- it's not something widely publicized; you have to read deeply into the Sandy Hook reports to figure out the disturbing truth.

Just use fire alarm drills as the base for active shooter drills; with the modification of "immediately exit the school area at all costs, do not gather on soccer field."
Drills have actually changed since then Shep and do focus on getting as many students out as possible. The old lockdown drill is not more used for when there are minor distrubances like fights in the hall, medical emergencies that need it, or non-custodial parents in the building. Now imagine trying to explain an active shooter drill to 4 and 5 year olds without freaking them the fuck out...
-GTO

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Zwinmar wrote: 2019-09-21 11:59am(sorry if this is a bit disjointed)
[shoulder pat] You're doing great. ;D

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-09-22 06:27am
These days I'm leaning towards a metric like energy transferred at impact which is probably a better predictor of damage/death and hazard to bystanders.

Lengthy explanation of reasoning:
For example, when we had to eliminate raccoons from a building we delibrately went with an airgun that, for an airgun, was relatively high powered for an airgun (same size ammo but greater speed leaving the muzzle) but not as powerful as, say, a .22 handgun. We did that because while a .22 handgun slug could punch through interior walls (possibly also electrical conduit and/or plumbing) and injure someone in an adjoining room the airgun slugs were stopped by drywall, wooden bookshelves, etc. If by some accident (or stupidity on the part of the operator) a human being was shot it would be painful but unlikely to cause death.

In contrast, a .22 handgun, as noted, can put a bullet through a wall. Even potentially an exterior door. In addition to the hazard of building infrastructure springing a water leak due to a punctured pipe, it posed a hazard to people in other rooms or even outside the building.

A .22 bullet propelled by a rifle can be even more powerful and destructive.

In the US people have been shot sitting in their living room, or sleeping in their beds, when a bullet fired outside the building penetrates and exterior wall then penetrates a human body. Part of the problem with recent mass shootings is not just that someone has been shot, but that the bullet has obliterated a portion of the target. A handgun .22 or .38 can certainly kill, but it's not that unusual for the bullet to lodge in tissues or bone but leaving major structures intact, to the point that their sometimes left alone because removing them could cause more damage than leaving them in place. A bullet from an AR-15, though, can shatter bone into fragments, reduce soft tissue to ground meat, and create damage that is impossible to repair. Get shot in the thigh by a .22 handgun and you'll be in a lot of pain but as long as it doesn't hit a major artery you'll almost certainly live and walk again. Get shot by an "assault rifle" in the same spot if you're lucky you'll just lose the limb but it's a lot more likely you'll bleed out and die on the spot due to the massive damage caused.

All of the above is why a lot of places that ban (or highly restrict) firearms will allow airguns. It's not impossible to maim or kill someone with one, but it's a lot harder. They're not safe in absolute terms, but they are safer than some other weapons. It's not just about how many rounds in a time period a weapon can throw out, it's also about how much damage those bullets can do when they hit.

Regulating/restricting weapons based on their potential for damage makes sense to me. Responsible gun owners should be choosing their weapons on utility for purpose, which includes factors like minimizing overpenetration (yes, ammunition is also a factor in overpenetration or lack of it - no reason we couldn't make some rules about that, too, based on potential damage factors).
You just described all handguns vs all rifles and shotguns. All long guns will behave how you describe. Are you arguing in favor of banning all long guns and allowing handguns?

(note, I am still not any sort of "gun enthusiast/advocate" or "second amendment supporter")