House votes to hold AG Barr and Secretary Ross in criminal contempt.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

House votes to hold AG Barr and Secretary Ross in criminal contempt.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... st-updates.
House votes to hold William Barr and Wilbur Ross in contempt of Congress
Lawmakers voted 230-198 to hold the attorney general and the commerce secretary in criminal contempt for obstructing a probe into Trump’s failed efforts to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

All Republicans and four Democrats voted ‘no.’

The AP explains:

The vote is largely symbolic because the Justice Department is unlikely to prosecute them.

The action marks an escalation of Democratic efforts to use their House majority to aggressively investigate the inner workings of the Trump administration.

President Donald Trump last week abandoned his bid to inject a citizenship question into the census, after the Supreme Court said the administration’s justification for the question “seems to have been contrived.” Trump directed agencies to try to compile the information using existing databases.
Four Democrats voted no. They should be primaried. Those who do not believe in the rule of law should not sit in Congress.

They say its mostly symbolic because the DOJ will likely not prosecute (no shit, given that the Attorney General is one of those being charged- obvious conflict of interest). However, the House could theoretically order the Congressional Sergeant at Arms to make arrests, though the odds of Pelosi's House having the guts seem pretty low.

Its still an important symbolic move, at any rate.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.