SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tribble wrote: 2020-06-22 09:37am One potential outcome is that some swing states end up appointing Trump electors directly due to the election being “too close to call,” “rampant democrat voter fraud” etc. The prep work do that is already well underway.

I’m pretty sure that would be constitutional too since states are more or less given the power to choose electors as they please.
As Lost Soal noted, the legality of Electors going against their states' votes is murky, but the Supreme Court could very well decide to uphold it (lower courts have ruled that Electors cannot be compelled to vote the way their states voted IIRC, and the Roberts court is pretty consistently hostile to voters' rights).

Faithless electors in swing states with Republican governments swinging a close race to Trump on some flimsy pretext of "illegal immigrant/Democratic voter fraud" is perhaps my biggest fear for this November, and one of the reasons why it CANNOT be a razor-thin race, and why its so vital people turn out in maximum numbers even if it looks like Biden has it in the bag. If it comes down to a close race in one state or something, its way too easy to steal, as 2000 showed (albeit in that case it was the Supreme Court doing the stealing).

Mind you, if that happens, there will be riots in every major city in America, and probably serious secession movements in multiple states. At that point, it'll be down to who the military backs. The problem is that while the military probably would not back an illegal Trump coup, in that scenario the coup would be technically legal (albeit grossly undemocratic and against all established norms of American politics), and the military would be bound by their oaths to uphold it, by force if need be. This is why its probably the single fucking scariest scenario- because its one where Trump can legitimately lay claim to the support of the armed forces.

Do you have any info on state governments taking steps to prepare to flip the election via faithless electors?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Lost Soal wrote: 2020-06-22 09:49am
Tribble wrote: 2020-06-22 09:37am One potential outcome is that some swing states end up appointing Trump electors directly due to the election being “too close to call,” “rampant democrat voter fraud” etc. The prep work do that is already well underway.

I’m pretty sure that would be constitutional too since states are more or less given the power to choose electors as they please.
SCOTUS is currently hearing a case to decide if their bound to actual vote or not.
Faithless electors are another way to do it I suppose. Depending on the SCOTUS decision a state may be able to simply order the electors to vote a certain way.

What I thinking more was that a state legislature could declare that due to the above it’s “impossible” for the electors to be “fairly” elected by voters, and hence the state legislatures will be “forced” to appoint them directly. And if that happens, it’ll be republican state legislatures doing it to ensure a Trump victory.

IIRC there is nothing in the constitution which specifies that the electors have to be chosen directly by voters as its entirely up to the states on how they decide to do at it.
The Romulus Republic wrote:
As for prep work, it’s pretty easy to spot. Trump and Republicans have been saying for years now that there is rampant Democrat voter fraud, and have now extended that to include mail in voting.

Now, whether or not they have the guts to actually carry out the above in the event of a loss is unknown atm, but they’ve been laying the groundwork for years. Multiple states, perhaps not. But if it’s 1-2 swing states needed and they have close calls, particularly those with state legislatures firmly under republican control... I wouldn’t be surprised if something happens. IIRC Republicans almost did it in Florida for the Al Gore / Bush election before the SCOTUS decision made it unnecessary.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Whether they push it that far probably depends on how close it is. If its one state, with a Republican state government, and Trump is out there screaming about voter fraud, they'll probably try it.

It'll be harder to do if its several states. This is why its important to turn out and get as many people voting as possible even if it looks like Biden has a sure win. The bigger his lead, the harder it is to cheat (and to give that cheating a veneer of legitimacy/plausibility).

And, if worst comes to worst, the more obvious it is that they're essentially carrying out a coup against the will of the people, the easier it will be to mobilize opposition.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Kamala Harris appears to be emerging as the clear front-runner for VP:

https://npr.org/2020/06/22/881017398/ka ... nning-mate

More than a month before former Vice President Joe Biden's stated deadline for naming his running mate, California Sen. Kamala Harris is seen as the consensus front-runner to become Democrats' vice presidential nominee.

Speculation about running mates can be wrong, of course. Ultimately, the choice is Biden's and Biden's alone — just as it was Barack Obama's call to tap Biden in 2008.

But Harris is often the first name mentioned by Democrats inside and on the edge of the Biden campaign's orbit. She topped a recent national poll asking respondents for their preferred Biden running mate. And, for what it's worth, she's the runaway favorite on online betting sites.

That's all despite the fact that Harris' own presidential campaign was a disappointment, having never even made it to the Iowa caucuses.

Still, Harris allies see the first-term California senator and former state attorney general and San Francisco district attorney as bringing needed demographic balance to Biden's ticket. They also see her prosecutorial résumé as the ideal professional background in a political climate intensely focused on racial justice and policing, and her reputation as a sharp attack dog in Senate hearings as a key asset for a running mate.

Perhaps most importantly for Harris' chances, though, many Democrats believe she has more political and governing credibility than any other potential picks, save perhaps Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

"She knows the system from inside, and she knows we have to have this whole cultural shift in policing in this country," said California Rep. Barbara Lee, who endorsed Harris' presidential campaign. "She's very well-qualified, because of her background, to understand how we have to dismantle many of those systems."

Biden is facing increased pressure from other Democrats to select a woman of color.

"There is a cry, there's a clarion call, for us to do something different, for this country to literally face structural racism. ... We feel like a Black woman could actually bring that to the ticket," LaTosha Brown, the co-founder of Black Voters Matter Fund and a political strategist, recently told NPR.

Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar joined the push last week, when she took herself out of contention for the job and urged Biden to pick a woman of color as a running mate.

"If you want to heal this nation right now — my party, yes, but our nation — this is sure a hell of a way to do it. And that's just what I think after being through this in my state," Klobuchar, another former presidential candidate, told MSNBC on Thursday.

Among the Black women viewed as most likely to be considered, Harris is the only one who has won statewide office, and the only one who has run a national presidential campaign.

"I'd be honored, if asked, and I'm honored to be a part of the conversation," Harris told late-night host Stephen Colbert on CBS last week. "Honestly, let me just tell you something: I will do everything in my power, wherever I am, to help Joe Biden win."

"Joe Biden would be a great running mate"

Even before the coronavirus crisis and the outcry over systemic racism and police violence upped the pressure on Biden to pick a Black running mate, Harris was seen as a natural, maybe inevitable, running mate if Biden won the Democratic nomination.

Harris, a 55-year-old Black woman, would complement the demographic weaknesses of a 77-year-old white man trying to lead a party increasingly focused on, and energized by, younger voters and voters of color. And Biden and Harris have seemed comfortable with each other: In 2018 and 2019, the two posed for pictures together on social media after chance encounters on the street and on Amtrak trains. Harris has a close relationship with many people in the Obama administration orbit and had worked alongside Biden's late son, Beau, when both served as state attorneys general.

Campaign chatter about Harris as a veep-in-waiting percolated to the point that more than a year ago, she felt the need to deflate it with a sarcastic comment to reporters.

"If people want to speculate about running mates, I encourage that," she said at a May 2019 press conference, months after the launch of her own campaign. "Because I think that Joe Biden would be a great running mate. As vice president, he's proven that he knows how to do the job. And there are certainly a lot of other candidates that would make, for me, a very viable and interesting vice president."

"That little girl was me"

The chatter suddenly came to a halt the first debate of the Democratic primary.

Just before it, Biden had caught heat from progressives for talking nostalgically about his working relationship with two noted segregationist senators.

"It was hurtful to hear you talk about the reputations of two United States senators who built their reputations and career on the segregation of race in this country," Harris told Biden during the debate. "And it was not only that," she continued, "but you also worked with them to oppose busing. There was a little girl in California who was part of the second class to integrate her public schools. And she was bused to school every day. And that little girl was me."

The attack on Biden, who was then the front-runner, had clearly been planned and practiced. Shortly after the debate ended, Harris' campaign began selling T-shirts emblazoned with its most quotable line: "That Little Girl Was Me."

"It was a debate!" Harris said just last week, laughing, when Colbert noted on his show that Biden's "teeth were like Chiclets all over the stage" after the attack, and asked her how she and Biden can now get along. "It was a debate! The whole reason — literally, it was a debate. It was called a debate."

She added: "In all seriousness, I've known Joe a long time and I care about him deeply."

Many Democrats do not view the confrontation as something that would block Harris from getting the vice presidential nod.

"[Biden has] been in politics long enough that nothing is irreparable," said one Harris ally who asked for anonymity to speak about the issue. "He gets primaries and debates and yelling one day and getting along the next. It's a Senate training."

Perhaps more harmful to Harris' chances as a running mate, though, is the fact that the debate exchange marked the high point of her campaign. Harris briefly surged in the polls after the first debate, and Biden sunk. But soon after, Harris did something that would occur time and time again during her run: She appeared to retreat from the bold position she had previously taken. On busing, she struggled to make it clear how her views were substantially different than Biden's.

"Kamala is a cop"

During the primary, Harris also faced withering progressive attacks about her time as a prosecutor. "Kamala is a cop" became a shorthand attack in the vocal world of progressive activists on social media.

Up until the presidential run, Harris had tied much of her political identity around the idea of being a more progressive, more nuanced prosecutor who championed what she called "smart on crime" approaches: addressing systemic problems like truancy, and trying to return people with criminal records to the workplace.

University of San Francisco law professor Lara Bazelon crystallized the critique just as Harris launched her campaign, writing a New York Times editorial blasting Harris for repeatedly shying away from progressive fights over policing reform, wrongful convictions and drug reforms during her time as San Francisco district attorney and California attorney general.

"At almost every inflection point when there was a progressive alternative or a centrist alternative, she chose the safe centrist alternative," Bazelon said in an interview.

Harris struggled to respond to the sustained attacks, and her campaign stopped highlighting her prosecutorial background.

By mid-summer, she was running on what she called "3 a.m. issues": economic policies designed to appeal to "a parent, after feeding the kids and putting them to bed, is sitting at the kitchen table until midnight, figuring out to to make everything run, make everything work."

By the fall, facing dropping poll numbers and campaign contributions, Harris returned to her time as a prosecutor, telling rallies that "in 2020, justice is on the ballot."

"She's found her voice again"

"There was never a clear rationale of why her, and why she was running. She was running for too many reasons — every week there was another major policy thing," said Brian Brokaw, a longtime Harris adviser who ran her two campaigns for California attorney general. "People knew they liked her, but didn't know what she stood for."

But since the coronavirus crisis began, Harris has been at the forefront of the congressional Democratic response. She's played a leading role in highlighting the fact that COVID-19 has hit the Black community harder than any other demographic group, and has repeatedly pressured the federal government to collect more data on that.

She also joined Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and other lawmakers pushing for monthly $2,000 payments to every American for as long as the pandemic lasts.

"People should be able to count on their government to see them and create a safety net for them, so that these families don't fall into poverty, or further into poverty, during the course of this pandemic," Harris told NowThis News.

Then, Harris leapt to the next crisis. When protests filled streets across the country to rage against the killing of George Floyd and other African Americans in police custody, Harris was one of the first lawmakers to join the protests herself. She appeared in front of the White House, and on Washington, D.C.'s newly designated Black Lives Matter Plaza.

The longtime prosecutor with the reputation for playing it safe played a lead role drafting a broad bill ending so-called qualified immunity for police, the use of chokeholds and no-knock warrants, and making several other changes demanded by protesters. Joining House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and other Democrats to unveil the broad measure, Harris put it bluntly: "We're here because Black Americans want to stop being killed."

"She's found her voice again," adviser Brokaw said. "This focuses her."

Even critics like Bazelon have taken notice. "She did champion progressive causes," Bazelon said. "And her record has been consistent, and it's been good."

Bazelon said she was particularly impressed by an appearance Harris made on The View, where conservative co-host Meghan McCain pressed Harris on whether or not she supported the "defund the police" movement.

"I thought that Kamala Harris did a really masterful job of defining what needed to happen to reform the police," she said. "And then when Meghan McCain pressed her to say yes or no, she said, 'What do you mean by defund?' And Meghan McCain had no answer for her."

For the people who want to see Harris on the Democratic ticket, it wasn't too far of a leap to envision the fall debate, with Vice President Mike Pence in the spot of McCain.
I worry about her attacks on Biden in the primary being used against her, and even more about her prosecutorial record. Personally, I think Stacey Abrams would be a stronger choice, and Warren would be if not for the fact that the times pretty much demand a black woman on the ticket. Still, Harris is far from the worst choice, and she does seem to have been doing a better job lately on stuff like police reform and covid.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

MSN
Primaries renew fears about Democratic unity in presidential race
Amie Parnes and Jonathan Easley 2 days ago
Signs of poor health men shouldn't ignore
Cosby granted right to appeal sex assault convictions
The Hill logoPrimaries renew fears about Democratic unity in presidential race
Democrats are worried their party unity is fraying five months out from the presidential election as several contested primaries pitting progressives against mainstream Democrats go down to the wire.

a group of people standing in front of a crowd: Primaries renew fears about Democratic unity in presidential race© Greg Nash Primaries renew fears about Democratic unity in presidential race
Some Democrats have begun pointing the finger at Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), saying he's been consumed with down ballot elections at the expense of promoting Biden's bid for the White House.

The Democrats, who are not affiliated with the Biden campaign, say Sanders needs to do more to make sure progressives fall in line behind Joe Biden in November.

While they concede Sanders has done more to help Biden than he did in the 2016 race for then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, they still say Sanders needs to use his influence with his supporters to ensure they turn out, as well as donate to Biden's campaign.

Sanders's endorsement of half a dozen insurgent candidates this week in upcoming primaries who are taking on establishment favorites has added to the unease felt by some Democrats.

"He should be out there every week reminding his supporters of what's at stake," said one Democratic strategist. "He needs to start mending fences now. Not two or three months from now. Anything less isn't good enough."

Philippe Reines, a longtime adviser to Clinton, said that the biggest area of need from Sanders is on the fundraising front. In one event, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) raised $6 million at a virtual fundraiser for Biden. Another event co-hosted by Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) raised $3.5 million.

Sanders, who crushed his competitors in fundraising during the primary "could in one hour raise Biden north of $10 million and the symbolism would be worth twice that."

"The opportunity cost of him not doing significant events of any type isn't simply leaving money on the table. It can be construed that he's not fully on board," Reines said.

Sanders has said he will not raise money for the Biden campaign but he has been a vocal supporter in nearly every other way.

Last month, Sanders also asked his supporters to turn down the rhetoric on social media platforms like Twitter, worried that the divisiveness would spill over into November.

He held a virtual event with Biden after endorsing him with many primaries still left on the calendar, imploring his supporters to put aside their differences and back the presumptive nominee. Sanders's allies say he will continue to do everything he can to elect Biden.

"He's made it crystal clear at every turn that Biden winning and Trump losing is the most important thing," said Larry Cohen, the chairman of Our Revolution, the grassroots group that sprang from Sanders's 2016 campaign. "He believes that in his bones. He's made it clear that they have differences in policy but also that there's no comparison with Trump.

"He as much as anyone you can find wants Biden to win," Cohen added.

Sanders has been extremely active in recent weeks in working to elect progressive members to the House and Senate.

Sanders is supporting Democrat Jamaal Bowman's efforts to unseat Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.). And he's backed State Rep. Charles Booker's (D) challenge to former Marine combat pilot Amy McGrath in Kentucky for the right to take on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Biden has not endorsed in either race.

Sanders and Biden have had ongoing discussions about issues important to both sides and their top advisers have also been in regular contact.

Last month, the two former primary rivals announced the formation of a joint task force with the intention of unifying for the party before Election Day. The task force includes prominent allies on both sides including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), a top supporter of Sanders, and former Secretary of State John Kerry, a Biden supporter.

The latest Quinnipiac University survey released this week found Biden leading Trump by 8 points nationally, with 93 percent of Democrats saying they'll support Biden.

However, some Democrats are worried about Biden's standing among key demographics that supported Sanders in the primary. And Biden faces a clear enthusiasm gap against Trump, leading to concerns that some on the left will stay home, as they did in 2016, when Clinton lost narrowly to Trump.

The Quinnipiac survey found Biden at 57 percent support among Hispanics, who broke for Sanders in the primary. Clinton won 66 percent support from Latinos in 2016, down from former President Obama's 71 percent in 2012.

The same poll found Biden at 58 percent among young people. That's slightly better than Clinton in 2016, but still a potential area of concern. In the past election, 13 million young people turned out for Clinton, compared to 9 million for Trump. But 2 million voted for a third-party candidate, which may have tipped the balance of the election in favor of Trump.

A new Monmouth University survey released this week raised further questions about enthusiasm around Biden's campaign and his standing on the left.

Only 55 percent of Biden's backers in the primary said they're enthusiastic about supporting him in the general election.

Thirty-six percent of Sanders's primary voters said they want to see the results overturned at the national convention, including 17 percent who said they're disappointed that Sanders endorsed Biden.

Overall, 81 percent of Sanders supporters said they'd vote for Biden in November, compared to 11 percent who said they'd go third party, 5 percent who said they'd sit out or are unsure, and 4 percent who said they'd back Trump.

"It's not clear what to make of these numbers. Nearly all the Democrats we interviewed are behind Biden for November, but losing up to 15 percent of Sanders supporters, even to a third-party candidate, could be problematic if the race is extremely tight," said Monmouth University pollster Patrick Murray. "The question is, will these voters really go that route when the time comes?"

Still, Murray said it is reasonable to assume that "disaffection among Sanders voters is lower now than it was four years ago" for Clinton.

Jonathan Tasini, a progressive strategist said there are two words that will define the election: "And that's Donald Trump."

"At the end of the day, you may have a few scattered people who may stay home, but there will be a tidal wave of people coming out in the wake of Black Lives Matter," he said. "Nobody should be worried about these polling numbers in the middle of the summer with no general election campaign going on."

And Biden's allies say Sanders has been a huge asset and a team player.

The former vice president has endorsed a handful of progressive policies since winning the nomination and the Biden and Sanders teams say they're working closely together as the joint task force winds down.

Some Biden allies noted that it's still early in the cycle and the coronavirus has made it difficult to campaign. They say Sanders is focusing his attention on the primaries because they are happening now, and fully expect him to do everything he can to get Biden elected as November nears.

"Vice President Biden is honored to have Sen. Sanders's strong support and will continue working closely with him in the coming months to ensure that we defeat Donald Trump this November," said Biden campaign spokesman Michael Gwin.
Sanders: Runs for President.
Democrats: We hate you for doing this.
Sanders: Endorses Biden
Democrats: Good, now put all your energies into Biden
Sanders: endorses progressive candidates in primaries in addition to supporting Biden
Democratic Party: No, you asshole. We want to stay in charge. Stop it.
Sanders: Works towards better world by bringing new blood into party.
Democratic Party: You're helping Trump win by not giving Biden all your money.

Honestly, I hope this leads to dozens more AOCs in elected positions all over the nation, causing change. The Democratic party needs to evolve, and realize that status quo politics with token changes are not cutting it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I will restate that it is inacurrate and over-simplistic to describe "Democrats" as hostile to Sanders and progressives, as though the party is a homogenous block with one view on this issue. Many Democratic voters, and a smaller but significant number of elected officials in the party, support Sanders.

There is, of course, no inherent contradiction at all between supporting Biden, and supporting progressives in primaries downballot, or between supporting Biden and supporting progressive policies. Biden himself, ironically, seems to get this. Note that the whiners in the article are "not affiliated with the Biden campaign". Unfortunately, I've observed that a lot of Biden supporters are less gracious and more divisive toward progressives than the man they claim to support. Biden's more fanatical supporters are his biggest liability, just as Sanders' were.

On the subject of primaries, New York's is right around the corner (you know, the one where Cuomo illegally tried to kick Sanders and others off the ballot, likely to kneecap down-ballot progressive candidates by reducing turnout). Wall Street's been pouring money into a far Right, former Republican DINO challenger to AOC- so if you're in New York, do make sure to vote.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

New York, Kentucky, and Virginia primaries today.

Kentucky's making headlines for reducing its polling places, including ONE for a predominantly black population of 600,000 people.

New York, as noted above, includes Wall Street's bid to unseat AOC (vs AOC's bid to back other progressive challengers). It was also the subject of a legal battle after Cuomo cancelled the Presidential primary, although last I heard Yang, Sanders and the rest were back on the ballot.

Haven't heard much about Virginia, in comparison.

I'll post results once they come in.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Early results coming in from AOC's primary in New York. Still waiting for results for mail ballots, but spoiler: AOC is wiping the fucking floor with Caruso-Cabrera.

nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-aoc-massive-lead-moderate-challenger-primary-20200624-kjwnsuxnzncnxetlut62hpt3li-story.html
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez appeared on track to win her first primary election as an incumbent on Tuesday, holding a massive double-digit lead over her centrist challenger in early results.

With all Election Day ballots accounted for, Ocasio-Cortez trounced former CNBC anchor Michelle Caruso-Cabrera by a 70%-19% margin, according to official tallies by the State Board of Elections.

The results do not account for mail-in ballots, since New York allowed all voters the option to apply for them because of concerns about coronavirus. More than 700,000 New York City residents requested mail-in ballots for Tuesday’s primaries, according to the NYC Board of Elections. The question remains: how many voters mailed them back to BOE?

Still, the 51% margin Ocasio-Cortez held over Caruso-Cabrera appeared unlikely to break.

Asked if Ocasio-Cortez would declare victory Tuesday night, a spokeswoman for her campaign played coy.

“We’ll see!” the spokeswoman said in a text.

As Tuesday night’s results rolled in, Ocasio-Cortez tweeted: “Tonight we are proving that the people’s movement in NY isn’t an accident. It’s a mandate.”

PRIMARY RESULTS
RESULTS FROM THE DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY IN NEW YORK'S 14TH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT.
Democrat: U.S. House District 14
CANDIDATE
VOTES
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (Dem)
72.9%
Michelle Caruso-Cabrera (Dem)
19.7%
Badrun Khan (Dem)
5.1%
Samuel Sloan (Dem)
2.4%

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Trump's favored House candidates went down in the Kentucky and North Carolina primaries:

https://chicagotribute.com/election-202 ... story.html

Interesting, since these were Republican primaries. Might be the first real sign that Trump's pull with the Republican base is starting to wain. If this keeps happening, look to see a lot of Republican candidates suddenly conveniently growing spines/consciences and hasten to distance themselves.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Biden reportedly vetting Congresswoman Karen Bass, Chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus and a leader of drafting Congressional legislation on police reform:

https://nytimes.com/2020/06/23/us/polit ... en-vp.html
Representative Karen Bass of California, the chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, is under consideration to be Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s running mate and has spoken with his vice-presidential search team, people familiar with the vetting process said.

Ms. Bass, 66, joined the process somewhat later than some of the other prominent figures being reviewed by Mr. Biden and his advisers. Her emergence as a contender was first reported by CBS News.

A five-term member of the House who served before that as the speaker of the California State Assembly, Ms. Bass has been a prominent voice in the congressional debate about the future of policing. In a television appearance on Tuesday, she declined to comment on the vice-presidential selection process and said she was focused on the intensifying legislative work on a federal policing law.

It is not clear exactly how far Ms. Bass has moved in the process so far, or whether her contact with the search team has yet included the multiple rounds of lengthy interviews and requests for documents that a few other candidates have faced. Spokesmen for Ms. Bass and the Biden campaign declined to comment on her status in the search.

With Ms. Bass’s involvement in the vetting process, Mr. Biden’s team is now known to be seriously considering at least five black women for the position of vice president. She is the second Californian on the search team’s list, after Senator Kamala Harris, and the second member of the House, with Representative Val Demings of Florida.

Who’s in the Running to Be Joe Biden’s Vice President?
Here are 13 women who have been under consideration by Mr. Biden, and why each might be chosen — and might not be.
June 22, 2020

The political pressure on Mr. Biden to choose a woman of color as his running mate has grown in recent weeks, as matters of racial justice have become dominant themes in the presidential campaign. Mr. Biden has said his own thinking has not changed too much lately, and that his priority is still choosing someone who shares his political worldview and has the necessary experience to assume the presidency at a moment’s notice.

Ms. Bass is a respected figure in the House who has been floated in the past as a possible successor to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a fellow Californian. And there are aspects of her political biography that appear to match up well with the current moment.

As a legislative leader in California, Ms. Bass worked with Arnold Schwarzenegger, then the governor, to steer the state through the 2008 financial crisis and the Great Recession. Before entering elected office, she worked as an emergency room physician assistant and was a community organizer during the crack cocaine epidemic and Los Angeles riots of the 1990s.

Like Mr. Biden, she has experienced deep personal tragedy and the loss of a child: In 2006, her daughter and son-in-law were killed in a car crash.

Ms. Bass has a limited national profile and she has not experienced the kind of intensive public scrutiny that some of the higher-profile vice-presidential contenders have faced. She has a long record as a legislator and activist that aides to Mr. Biden would have to review in depth as part of the screening process.

Mr. Biden’s team has reached an advanced stage of the vetting process with more than half a dozen women, including Ms. Harris, Ms. Demings, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms of Atlanta, Senators Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham of New Mexico and Susan Rice, the former national security adviser.

But Mr. Biden is said to be a long way from settling on a running mate, and his search team is said to be vetting a sizable number of people to give Mr. Biden considerable flexibility in his choice. He has said he hopes to announce a vice-presidential pick by Aug. 1.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Not content with reducing the number of polling places to ONE for a heavily-black population of 600,000, Kentucky pollsters shut the doors right after six, ignoring the people already waiting in line. Protesters pounded on the doors, demanding to be let in, until a judge intervened and ordered the doors reopened- for a mere half-hour:

https://courier-journal.com/story/news/ ... 246906001/
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — U.S. Senate candidate Charles Booker secured a court order that gave voters a little more time to vote in Louisville Tuesday as people ran for and pounded on the doors of the city's only polling place that evening, demanding their chance to cast a ballot.

Polls across Kentucky were set to close at 6 p.m. on Election Day, but many people were stuck waiting to park their cars outside the Kentucky Exposition Center — the sole site where people in Louisville and Jefferson County could vote, thanks to procedural changes officials instituted because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Just before 6 p.m., people were dashing for the doors to get inside the building before the cutoff.

When will Kentucky's primary election results be released?:Hint: You will have to wait

Kentucky 2020 primary election results:Get the latest results here

Meanwhile, Booker — who hopes to win Tuesday's Democratic primary and face off against Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in November — and his campaign filed a last-minute injunction request to try to keep the polls there open longer.

"We are fighting to make sure you can vote," Booker told voters on Twitter. "STAY IN LINE!"

While they awaited a local judge's decision, people who still wanted a chance to vote stuck around outside, pounded on the doors and shouted.

Don Hardison, 41, was among the dozens of voters who didn’t make it inside before the doors closed a few minutes after 6 p.m. He said he spent about 45 minutes in traffic before he could park.

“It’s our constitutional right that is being infringed on right now,” he said. “I think it’s disingenuous at best that this is the only polling place in Jefferson County.

“It’s not (a) coincidence that this is a large urban population," he added.

Hardison said he planned to wait outside until they let him and the others in.

They didn't have to wait long.

A local judge quickly reviewed Booker's request and extended the deadline to 6:30 p.m. When the Expo Center's doors opened, people cheered as Hardison and the others who had waited were allowed to walk in and vote.

The reprieve was short-lived, though.

The Expo Center's doors were shut and locked again soon afterward.

Retired Marine Amy McGrath — Booker's top opponent in Tuesday's crowded Democratic primary — announced on Twitter a little after 6:45 p.m. that she and her campaign were filing an injunction to try to keep the polls open even later.

But poll workers were packing up for the night shortly after 7 p.m.

Booker's own injunction request asked the court to let the polls stay open until 9 p.m., but the judge didn't agree to delay their closure for that long.

In a handwritten order, Jefferson County Circuit Judge Annie O'Connell only agreed to push the deadline back to 6:30 p.m.

"Otherwise, the request that polls remain open until 9 p.m. due to traffic congestion is based on speculation, rather than any evidence that specific individual voters cannot reach the Expo Center," O'Connell wrote in the order, a copy of which Booker's campaign provided to The Courier Journal.

Jennifer Holmes, assistant counsel for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said the national nonprofit monitored the primary and was concerned when the Louisville polls initially closed at 6 p.m. even as people were still trying to come inside.

"I think we all were kind of steeling ourselves for this election because we knew that the number of polling places had been reduced so severely," she said.

Holmes added that it was "no surprise" that there was a backup in terms of voters standing in line or stuck in traffic trying to park at the expo center toward the end of the day when many people typically get off work.

"It’s unfortunate that the court had to step in in that way, but we’re happy that those individuals were able to exercise their right to vote," she said of the court order that allowed the polls to briefly reopen so the people waiting outside could vote.

And she pointed out that some other folks still may have missed their chance to vote after the expo center initially closed its doors.

"The question is how many people perhaps left when they saw that the doors were closing and ... thought that they wouldn’t be able to exercise the right to vote," she said. "Those are the people that keep us up at night, and we don't know how many people were affected in that way."
Despite this, reports suggest that Kentucky likely set a new record for primary turnout, due to the massive number of mail ballots.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bernie may have lost, but a new progressive revolution is rising: Black progressives appear to have soared to victory last night across multiple states, including the AOC-backed Jamaal Bowman, and Mondaire Jones, who if he wins the general election will become the first openly gay Black Congressman.

https://npr.org/2020/06/24/882787276/bl ... didates-lo
As protests stemming from George Floyd's killing at the hands of Minneapolis police spread across the country, Black progressives appear to have had a good night in Democratic primaries Tuesday, while some Republicans endorsed by President Trump did not fare as well on the GOP side.

Three races in New York and Virginia, and perhaps one in Kentucky, highlight what could be the start of something important in Democratic politics — the surge of Black candidates.

As the Cook Political Report's Dave Wasserman put it, Democratic voters in 2018 "showed an unprecedented desire to nominate women" and this year, there's "another sea change in desire, this time towards Black candidates."

In 2018, Dem voters showed an unprecedented desire to nominate women. In 2020, we're witnessing another sea change in desire, this time towards Black candidates:

Jamaal Bowman in #NY16
Mondaire Jones in #NY17
Cameron Webb in #VA05

All winning in landslides so far.

— Dave Wasserman (@Redistrict) June 24, 2020
What that could mean for the 2020 presidential race is notable as well. If Democrats have two key pillars of their base fired up and politically activated — women and Black voters — that could be a game-changer, as Trump's ratings continue to suffer.

Looking at Tuesday's results, the upset of the night appears to belong to Jamaal Bowman, a former middle school principal from the Bronx. He is well ahead of longtime Democratic incumbent Eliot Engel, with more than 60% of the vote.

Many races have not been called yet because of the significant number of absentee ballots that remain to be counted.

Bowman began to surge in recent weeks after Engel, asking to speak at an event, was caught on mic saying, "If I didn't have a primary, I wouldn't care."

!!! @RepEliotEngel heard on hot mic asking @rubendiazjr for a turn to speak, says twice, "If I didn't have a primary, I wouldn't care."

Diaz responds, "Don't do that to me."

(h/t @News12BX livestream) pic.twitter.com/eQnkzLiEId

— Emily Ngo (@emilyngo) June 2, 2020
That was in addition to a reporter ringing the House Foreign Affairs chairman's doorbell a month ago at his home in a tony Washington suburb to find him there rather than in his home district, as New York suffered from the pandemic.

Bowman wound up raising $2 million and surging against the 16-term incumbent, who hasn't faced a competitive primary in 20 years.

Another New York seat, which had been held by longtime retiring Rep. Nita Lowey, has 33-year-old Mondaire Jones well ahead. The former Westchester County law office worker gained momentum in recent weeks and now leads by double digits. If the result holds up, and Jones wins this fall, he'd be the first openly gay black congressman.

Progressive star Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, by the way, was facing a primary in her first time standing for reelection. But she easily dispatched former CNBC reporter Michelle Caruso-Cabrera with 73% of the vote.

Trump-backed Republicans falter

Meanwhile, in North Carolina, perhaps the surprise of the night was a 24-year-old motivational speaker, Madison Cawthorn. He upset a Trump-backed candidate to replace Mark Meadows, who stepped down from the House to become Trump's chief of staff. Cawthorn was paralyzed from the waist down after a 2014 car accident.

And in Kentucky, Trump tweeted his opposition to giving another term to a sitting congressman, Thomas Massie, who forced a vote on an economic relief package. Massie won overwhelmingly with almost 90% of the vote. Members of Republican leadership backed Massie's primary opponent after Massie forced the vote. But after racist tweets surfaced from that opponent, Massie cruised.

Results are still slow to roll in in the marquee Democratic Kentucky Senate primary, where progressive upstart state Rep. Charles Booker and former Marine fighter pilot Amy McGrath squared off to take on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in the fall.

Booker has seen a boon after speaking out and taking a leadership role in Black Lives Matter protests stemming from the death of Breonna Taylor in Louisville. Taylor was shot and killed by police.

McGrath had brought in a whopping $41 million, was endorsed by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and had been seen as the overwhelming front-runner before the protests.
Meanwhile Trumpers are going down in flames. A good night all around.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Wow, progressives, a number of them backed by Bernie, fucking dominated on Tuesday.

The Sanders campaign is over, but the revolution lives on, and AOC is rapidly solidifying her place as a next generation leader. The way this is going, I wonder if next year we'll have enough seats in Congress for a Congressional Socialist Caucus (though not all of these candidates currently identify as socialist):

https://prospect.org/politics/bernie-wo ... ction-day/
In New York, Kentucky, and Virginia, ballots are still being counted. The slow count comes as no surprise, as voting systems recently overhauled by coronavirus won’t report final, much less official, results for days. And yet, in New York and elsewhere, Tuesday night was a dominant showing for progressives, who handily won numerous upset victories in high-profile races, building on what’s become a triumphant election season for a resurgent left in the past few weeks.

Going into Tuesday, there were a number of Democratic primaries that progressives hoped to be competitive in. In safe blue House districts in New York, in particular, where the real contests do not happen in the general election but in the primary, there were a handful of seats that seemed to be within reach. In districts where left-wing groups expected their candidates would keep things close, they won by significant margins. And even in districts where they looked like long shots, some upsets are currently brewing that may still be too close to call.

The headline race of the evening came from New York’s 16th District, where Jamaal Bowman took on Eliot Engel, a standard-issue liberal on domestic policy but a foreign-policy hawk who voted for the Iraq War and against the Iran deal. Engel had the cavalry called in on his behalf after polls showed Bowman was gaining on him; he closed the race out with a who’s who of Democratic-establishment endorsements, including Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Jim Clyburn, Adam Schiff, and, laughably, the Congressional Black Caucus (which frequently is more an incumbent protection society than anything else). Even despite that support, and a sizable financial advantage, polls showed Engel trailing by as much as 10 percent going into Election Day.

Jamaal Bowman will arrive as one of the brightest progressive lights in Washington, an advocate of the Green New Deal, Medicare for All, and meaningful police reform.

The result wasn’t even that close. Though there are still ballots to be counted, the race was effectively called when Bowman cracked open a 62-35 lead Wednesday morning. The possibility of a Bowman victory seemed like a long shot just a few weeks ago; now, the former middle school principal will head to Congress in 2021 having felled the chair of the House Foreign Affairs committee by 27 points. Bowman will arrive as one of the brightest progressive lights in Washington, an advocate of the Green New Deal, Medicare for All, and meaningful police reform. You might even call him a democratic socialist. Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi loses a close ally and the Israel lobby loses one of its most reliable supporters.

That result alone would have sent shock waves through the New York Democratic Party, but progressives weren’t done yet. In neighboring NY-17, Mondaire Jones, another Medicare for All and Green New Deal supporter, triumphed by such a significant margin that the result was called early Wednesday morning as well, after Jones had raced out to a 20-plus percent lead over a fairly crowded field. That cluster included David Carlucci, a onetime member of New York’s Independent Democratic Conference, a group that helped Republicans maintain control of the state Senate despite a Democratic majority.

Your donation keeps this site free and open for all to read. Give what you can...

SUPPORT THE PROSPECT

Jones would also be the first openly gay black member of Congress, if not for the result in New York’s 15th District, the most left-leaning district in the country. Alarm bells were sounding after late polling showed Ruben Diaz Sr., a vociferous homophobe and self-described conservative in his late seventies, holding a narrow margin over a crowded field. But Diaz came in a distant third, while Ritchie Torres, a gay Afro-Latino New York City Councilmember from the South Bronx, won the seat handily. Torres’s progressive bona fides may be up for debate after he helped torpedo a police reform bill, though he was also the council’s leading advocate for the hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers who live in public housing. Some progressives consider him one of their own, and he was endorsed by such left-leaning House Democrats as California’s Katie Porter.

In NY-14, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, whose primary run two years ago inspired many of the aforementioned races, faced her first re-election challenge. For months, conservative commentators suggested that AOC was in real danger of losing, having gone too far with her opposition of Amazon’s publicly subsidized corporate headquarters in Queens and her advocacy for various progressive causes. Wall Street donors sought to make it so, helping raise over $2 million for the campaign of Michelle Caruso-Cabrera, a conservative commentator for CNBC and onetime Republican. But AOC crushed her opponent, winning re-election with an overwhelming 50-point margin.

More from Alexander Sammon

Further down the ballot in New York, progressives and Democratic Socialists of America–backed candidates romped as well. Jessica Gonzáles-Rojas held a commanding lead over incumbent Michael DenDekker for the 34th District State Assembly seat in Queens, while socialist Jabari Brisport secured a sizable advantage over his opponent as the 25th District’s likely new state senator in Brooklyn.

Some New York races remain too close to call and might stay that way until July. In New York’s 12th Congressional District, the fabled “Silk Stocking” district of Manhattan’s Upper East Side, insurgent Suraj Patel, a former Obama staffer and Green New Deal advocate, remains locked in a dead heat with incumbent Carolyn Maloney, whose tough-on-crime track record looked like it might be a liability going forward, but had not been the object of the progressive activism seen in NY-15, NY-16, or NY-17. The progressive insurgency showed up unannounced in her district as well, however, with the Patel campaign going so far as to issue a statement Tuesday night saying they expect to win the seat when all the absentee votes are finally counted.

Another race that remains uncertain is Kentucky’s closely watched Democratic Senate primary. Early returns showed Amy McGrath, the establishment pick with seemingly infinite money at her disposal, with a narrow eight-point lead, but with only 15 percent of the vote reported. Most of that vote comes from conservative, rural counties that McGrath expected to dominate. Louisville’s Jefferson County has yet to report, though challenger Charles Booker’s exit polling showed him winning 80 percent of the vote there. If that’s indeed the case, it’s going to be very difficult for McGrath to hang on. Booker may well have pulled off one of the greatest upsets in modern Democratic politics. He’d become the first person to beat a Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee pick in more than a decade, despite a gargantuan funding deficit. That result, too, would shake the party’s foundations.

Your donation keeps this site free and open for all to read. Give what you can...

SUPPORT THE PROSPECT

Tuesday’s resounding performance from progressives builds on a trend that has been emerging in recent weeks, in which left-wing challengers have returned with a vengeance after the Bernie Sanders campaign was downed in March. In early June, progressives and democratic socialists alike scored major victories in Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., and New Mexico, sweeping out conservative and moderate incumbents at the state and local level. And while Sanders himself, who was on the ballot in New York and Kentucky, did not win either state’s presidential race, the night was a triumph for him as well. Sanders raised more than $750,000 for congressional and local candidates in Tuesday’s primaries, and texted more than 120,000 of his supporters to promote the progressives he endorsed in races in New York and Kentucky. He threw his weight behind Mondaire Jones, Jamaal Bowman, Charles Booker, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, all of whom went on to win.

The same can be said of AOC herself, who has quickly become a political kingmaker in New York: She endorsed Bowman, Jones, and Booker and asked her supporters to help their candidacies. Sanders’s senatorial colleague Elizabeth Warren also backed the progressive insurgents and raised money on their behalf. The only Sanders/AOC endorsee who did not win was Samelys López in New York’s 15th District, though she did handily outperform recent polling that had her at just 2 percent a few weeks ago. She doubtless lost some votes to Torres, the eventual winner, when voters feared that splitting the progressive vote would enable the reactionary Diaz to squeak out a victory.

Left-wing challengers have returned with a vengeance after the Bernie Sanders campaign was downed in March.

Credit for the progressives’ victories can also be shared by groups like Justice Democrats, the Working Families Party, and the Sunrise Movement, all of which have shown they are an enduring force to be reckoned with in the Democratic Party, while the massive wave of activism that has followed the murder of George Floyd certainly raised the profile of progressive African American candidates like Bowman and Booker.

Attention now turns to a handful of upcoming races where progressives might parlay Tuesday’s momentum into further victories. One such race will be the June 30 Democratic Senate primary in Colorado, where establishment pick John Hickenlooper is flailing badly against progressive challenger Andrew Romanoff, who is backed by Sunrise, among other groups. In July, Dr. Arati Kreibich’s campaign against incumbent New Jersey Rep. Josh Gottheimer, a conservative Democrat who votes with Trump more than any other House Dem, is likely to be a battle as well. And in Massachusetts, Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse’s left-wing challenge of House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richard Neal, one of the delegation’s most corporate-friendly members, could be a showdown as well.

Many of this week’s primary votes remain to be counted, and caveats are noted. But almost all of these progressive victories were considered long shots just a handful of weeks ago. Even without the presidency, the progressive insurgency that looked to have lost its way in early 2020 is back in a big way.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on 2020-06-25 08:17pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And I'll also point out that these gains were made through the Democratic Party, not third party runs.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-25 08:15pm And I'll also point out that these gains were made through the Democratic Party, not third party runs.
So you're going to say that the old guard like Pelosi are going to shift their views now? This is a win for the people but the core of the party had nothing to do with it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Jub wrote: 2020-06-26 12:31am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-25 08:15pm And I'll also point out that these gains were made through the Democratic Party, not third party runs.
So you're going to say that the old guard like Pelosi are going to shift their views now? This is a win for the people but the core of the party had nothing to do with it.
What I am saying is exactly what I said: that there is a shift going on in favor of the progressives, and that it is being accomplished by running in the Democratic Party primary system, not through third party runs.

The top leadership may not radically shift their views, but at some point, that won't matter, because they'll be gone, either to primary challenges or the inevitable progress of time.One of these progressives just primaried the head of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. AOC also kicked out a long-time Centrist stalwart two years ago. There are rumors that AOC is considering a primary challenge to Schumer's Senate seat, and her success thus far bodes well for such an effort. So you're going to see the current Centrist leadership increasingly either shifting Left, at least somewhat, to appeal to changing values, or, for those who are too hidebound to do so, getting primaried out.

So why would Leftists support third party runs over using the Democratic primary process when it is demonstrably less effective in actually electing progressive candidates to high office? Why seek to destroy the Democratic Party (which remains the only serious national political opposition to Republican neo-fascism) when we can take it over from within? Sure, that's a frequently difficult, frustrating, and long-term effort- but still less so than launching yet another third party effort that will be lucky to crack 5%.*

*There are individual exceptions, of course, Sanders being the most obvious- but even he only achieved national prominence and influence by working with the Democratic Party, and within the Democratic primary system.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zuckerberg has folded, at least partially:

https://cbc.ca/news/world/facebook-rule ... -1.5629340
Facebook said Friday that it will flag all "newsworthy" posts from politicians that break its rules, including those from U.S. President Donald Trump.

CEO Mark Zuckerberg had previously refused to take action against Trump's posts suggesting that mail-in ballots will lead to voter fraud, saying that people deserved to hear unfiltered statements from political leaders. In contrast, Twitter added a "get the facts" label to them.

Until Friday, Trump's posts with identical wording to those labelled on Twitter remained untouched on Facebook, sparking criticism from Trump's opponents as well as current and former Facebook employees. Now, Facebook is all but certain to face off with the president the next time he posts something the company deems to be violating its rules.

"The policies we're implementing today are designed to address the reality of the challenges our country is facing and how they're showing up across our community," Zuckerberg wrote on his Facebook page announcing the changes.

He said the social network is taking additional steps to counter election-related misinformation. In particular, it will begin adding new labels to all posts about voting that will direct users to authoritative information from state and local election officials.

Zuckerberg had previously refused to take action against Trump's posts suggesting that mail-in ballots will lead to voter fraud. (Alex Brandon/The Associated Press)
Facebook is also banning false claims intended to discourage voting, such as stories about federal agents checking legal status at polling places.

The company also said it is increasing its enforcement capacity to remove false claims about local polling conditions in the 72 hours before the U.S. election.

Ethan Zuckerman, director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Center for Civic Media, said the changes are a "reminder of how powerful Facebook may be in terms of spreading disinformation during the upcoming election."

He said the usefulness of voting labels will depend on how good Facebook's artificial intelligence is at identifying posts that need them.

Facebook employees stage virtual walkout in criticism of Zuckerberg
If they label "every post that mentions voting links, people will start ignoring those links. If they're targeted to posts that say things like 'Police will be checking warrants and unpaid traffic tickets at polls' — a classic voter suppression disinfo tactic — and clearly mark posts as disinfo, they might be useful," he said.

But Zuckerman noted that Facebook "has a history of trying hard not to alienate right-leaning users, and given how tightly President Trump has aligned himself with voter-suppressing misinfo, it seems likely that Facebook will err on the side of non-intrusive and ignorable labels, which would minimize impact of the campaign."

Ad boycotts
Earlier in the day, shares of Facebook and Twitter dropped sharply after Unilever, the giant company behind brands such as Ben & Jerry's ice cream and Dove soap, said it will halt U.S. advertising on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram through at least the end of the year.

Unilever said it made the move to protest the amount of hate speech online. The company said the polarized atmosphere in the United States ahead of November's presidential election placed responsibility on brands to act.

Shares of both Facebook and Twitter fell roughly seven per cent following Unilever's announcement.

The company, which is based in the Netherlands and Britain, joins a raft of other advertisers pulling back from online platforms.

Facebook in particular has been the target of an escalating movement to withhold advertising dollars to pressure it to do more to prevent racist and violent content from being shared on its platform.

"We have decided that starting now through at least the end of the year, we will not run brand advertising in social media newsfeed platforms Facebook, Instagram and Twitter in the U.S.," Unilever said. "Continuing to advertise on these platforms at this time would not add value to people and society."

Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Unilever "has enough influence to persuade other brand advertisers to follow its lead," said eMarketer analyst Nicole Perrin.

She noted that Unilever pulled back spending "for longer, on more platforms (including Twitter) and for more expansive reasons" — in particular, by citing problems with "divisiveness" as well as hate speech.

Sarah Personette, vice-president of global client solutions at Twitter, said the company's mission is "to serve the public conversation and ensure Twitter is a place where people can make human connections, seek and receive authentic and credible information, and express themselves freely and safely."

She added that Twitter is "respectful of our partners' decisions and will continue to work and communicate closely with them during this time."
Although I fully expect Facebook to try to cheat on this any way they think they can get away with, this is still a big win. Facebook plays an immense role in distributing Trumpist (and Kremlin) propaganda.

Trump may be his own worst enemy here- if he goes off and attacks Facebook the way he did Twitter, it may push Facebook to harden its position against him, as Twitter did.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I guess you can say that, but also note that AOC has her own PAC's and money raising system because both she won't let moderate Dems in on her goods and the DNC won't let her get money without her giving info and donations herself into the system.

Sure, AOC registered as a Dem, but all the party infrastructure and money system is against her.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And yet despite that, she is pretty inarguably the single most prominent and influential first term Congressperson in the country, has significantly affected the national political discourse, has helped push other progressive challengers to victory, and is currently co-chairing one of Biden's joint policy task forces. And she did that by running and winning through the Democratic Party and its primary system.

Progressives and socialists may not like the Democratic Party. But as frustrating as the twin defeats of Sanders were, and as regressive as the party's old guard can be on some issues even still, the emperical evidence suggests that we have the most success politically when we pursue office through the Democratic Party.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-27 09:20pm And yet despite that, she is pretty inarguably the single most prominent and influential first term Congressperson in the country, has significantly affected the national political discourse, has helped push other progressive challengers to victory, and is currently co-chairing one of Biden's joint policy task forces. And she did that by running and winning through the Democratic Party and its primary system.

Progressives and socialists may not like the Democratic Party. But as frustrating as the twin defeats of Sanders were, and as regressive as the party's old guard can be on some issues even still, the emperical evidence suggests that we have the most success politically when we pursue office through the Democratic Party.
It's a hard choice between shitty party one, even shitier party, and zero fucking chance running as an independent... Keep telling yourself that the Dems are the light of hope and not just a lesser symptom of the deep-rooted rot in America.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The progressive wing of the Democratic Party is my hope- Bernie, AOC, and others like them. The rest of the party is at best a Not Fascist placeholder until the progressives can primary them out.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Despite pressure to pick a black woman, some polling indicates that black voters' favored choice for VP is Elizabeth Warren:

https://nbcnews.com/politics/2020-elect ... n-n1232312
WASHINGTON — Joe Biden is under pressure to pick a Black woman as his vice presidential running mate. But polls suggest the most popular prospect among Black Democrats is white.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., are widely seen by Democratic officials and activists close to the process as front-runners, though other candidates remain in the mix and a Biden aide told NBC News that "the process is dynamic and ongoing and no final decision has been made."

The two senators and former Biden presidential rivals have reached an advanced vetting stage that suggests they are formidable contenders, according to multiple people familiar with the process. Both women held fundraisers with Biden this month, with Warren’s event raising $6 million and Harris’s event $3.5 million.

In a CBS News poll last month, Warren topped the list of prospects that Democrats wanted Biden to consider, followed by Harris. Warren even led among Black Democrats — 72 percent said she should be considered, with 60 percent saying the same of Harris.

The competing imperatives present a challenge for Biden, pitting the prospect of making history with the first Black woman as vice president and the prevailing evidence that Black voters may prefer Warren. The topic has gained heightened scrutiny due both to Biden’s age and the elevation of race relations as an issue amid the backlash to George Floyd’s death.

Joe Biden's vice president list continues to narrow
JUNE 15, 202008:32
“I don’t support an all-white ticket,” said Aimee Allison, the president of She the People, a progressive group that works to promote women of color in politics. “That was a tremendous mistake in 2016. We have a party that’s half people of color and a quarter Black. The ticket needs to reflect that.”

Allison said Harris would be one of several “excellent candidates” for vice president, citing the former California attorney general’s outspoken push for racial justice in recent weeks as the Senate debates police reform.

'A Black face in a high place' not enough?
Jorden Giger, a 29-year-old teacher and Black Lives Matter activist in South Bend, Indiana, disagreed. While he understands the need for a diverse ticket, he wants Biden to pick Warren.

Recommended

CONGRESS
Finger-pointing begins over stalemate on police reform legislation

JOE BIDEN
How Rep. Val Demings could help Joe Biden 'meet the moment' as his vice presidential pick
“Descriptive representation is not enough. It's not enough just to have a Black face in a high place,” Giger said by phone. “We need someone to actually champion our positions in a real way and she's the best there is.”

Giger argued that Warren’s policy record, such as crafting the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and her aggressive oversight of Wall Street, shows she’s “ready on day one” and resembles what the Black community needs.

In a Morning Consult poll last month, 24 percent of Black voters said a Warren pick would make them more likely to vote for Biden, while 19 percent said the same of a Harris pick.

A Civiqs-Data For Progress poll this month found that Stacey Abrams, a former Georgia legislator and gubernatorial candidate, is the top preference of Black Democrats. (Abrams said two weeks ago she hadn’t heard from Biden's team.) Next was Warren, six points ahead of Harris.

An Economist YouGov poll this month found that Harris led Warren by two points among black Democrats asked for their vice presidential preference, inside the margin of error.

Other women of color who have received attention as potential picks include New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham; Rep. Val Demings, D-Fla.; Rep. Karen Bass, D-Calif.; Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms; and former national security adviser Susan Rice.

Zerlina Maxwell: Democratic vice presidential ‘advantage’ is now with Sen. Kamala Harris
JUNE 18, 202003:33
Bass, the chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus who played a leading role in the House-passed police overhaul bill this week, said she’s “not going to go there” when asked if she was being vetted by the Biden campaign.

The Biden campaign declined to say who is being vetted for the position. Aides to Warren and Harris would not comment for this article.

Biden, a former vice president himself, told donors in late May his team had been interviewing candidates and he hoped to announce his pick by Aug. 1, according to a pool report.

Generational contrast vs. economic credentials
“I have not made that judgment because we’ve just started now the deep dive in doing the background checks. They take six to eight weeks to get done. There are a number of African American women that are being considered, as well as Hispanic, as well as Caucasian,” Biden told WGAL News 8 during his Thursday visit to Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

One prominent Biden ally predicted he’d pick a woman with whom he has a relationship and faced on the 2020 debate stage, which would narrow it to Harris, Warren and Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn. Klobuchar bowed out of consideration last week amid scrutiny of her record as a former Hennepin County prosecutor who oversaw controversial police practices.

Klobuchar also took what many interpreted as a parting shot at Warren, calling on Biden to “put a woman of color on that ticket.”

Harris, who has Jamaican and Indian heritage, would make history as the first woman, first Black American and first Asian American to be vice president. She has one other advantage over a top rival: She’s 55, while Warren is 71. Biden, who would be 78 and the oldest president ever to take office, has offered himself as a transitional candidate serving as a bridge to the next generation.

“My challenge here is to have two candidates who in their 70s — it sort of ages out. I don’t think we’ve ever had a ticket where two candidates had a combined age of about 150,” Peter Hart, a Democratic pollster who helps conduct the NBC/Wall Street Journal survey, said in an interview.

Warren's allies are selling the former Harvard law professor as a strong governing partner to Biden as he seeks to rebuild an economy in tatters. They point to her strengths with young and left-wing voters, a weakness for Biden, as evidence that she's the best option to limit defections to the Green Party, which were devastating to Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Her detractors say Warren's comparably left-leaning stances could make her a lightning rod for Republican attacks in the fall.

“The critical element that Joe Biden needs is somebody who is perceived as ready from day one to be president,” Hart said. “The whole campaign against him by Trump is going to be based on one idea: That he’s 'Sleepy Joe, and boy I wonder if he’ll even be around when it comes to Inauguration Day.' So you have to pass the competence test.”
Biden has reportedly been working closely with Warren on policy, she would help bolster his support with progressives, and she's one of the most experienced options under consideration. If she also has strong support from black voters, then there is a very strong argument for her, despite some actions during the primary that were at odds with her supposedly progressive image (not so much the fight with Bernie, though that did alienate a lot of people, as her backtracking on taking super pac money).

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Who every it is, must be competent to take over the government when he steps down in two years or so related to dementia or some other health issue. This is a huge VP pick, not for the actual election, but they will probably have to take over the government, let alone be set up as incumbent for 2024.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Health issues or not, whoever he picks probably will be the Dem frontrunner in 2024 (much as I wish it would be AOC, but she has many years ahead of her to rise to the top), and will have a good shot at being the first female President as well. It is definitely going to be one of the most consequential VP picks in history (the only one I can think of that was more consequential was probably Andrew Johnson for Lincoln, and I sure hope this one turns out better than that- Johnson is probably the closest president to Trump in values, character, and damage done to the nation other than Trump).

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Andrew Johnson would be like Biden picking Paul Ryan. Johnson was an appeasement pick. He also got impeached.

I hope Biden can do better than that.