SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

its funny, "back in the day" i could have swore we just always locked a thread at page 50 and started a new one.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-04 09:20pm At least wait until the Georgia runoffs are done. Those will determine who controls the Senate and Trump's latest phone call might have an effect on them.
Any effect will be vanishingly small. The number of early voters has been enormous. We can hope, but cannot guarantee, that this is a good sign.

Come on, Georgia! Gimme a kick-ass birthday present and punt Mitch from Senate Majority Leader!
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2021-01-04 10:19pm its funny, "back in the day" i could have swore we just always locked a thread at page 50 and started a new one.
"Back in the day" the bbs code couldn't handle a thread larger than 50pages.
Besides, this should be over the 20th, right?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2021-01-05 03:08pmAny effect will be vanishingly small. The number of early voters has been enormous. We can hope, but cannot guarantee, that this is a good sign.
The biggest effect I've seen predicted is that Trump causes Republican voters to stay home, because they don't want to go to the effort voting in an election they believe to be rigged. Not just from the phone call, but from all his coup attempts. But with Republicans being more likely to vote on the day than Democrats, the phone call might help.

We probably won't ever know for sure how big an effect it has.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

To the surprise of nobody, Trumpers decided to storm Congress, going from protesting to rioting.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-01-06 05:18pm To the surprise of nobody, Trumpers decided to storm Congress, going from protesting to rioting.
Call it like it is. A coup attempt.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2021-01-06 05:45pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-01-06 05:18pm To the surprise of nobody, Trumpers decided to storm Congress, going from protesting to rioting.
Call it like it is. A coup attempt.
We've got a thread for that.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Democrats take control of U.S. Senate as they win second race in Georgia
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Democrats on Wednesday completed a sweep of the two U.S. Senate seats up for grabs in runoff elections in Georgia, giving the party control of the chamber and boosting the prospects for President-elect Joe Biden’s ambitious legislative agenda.

Edison Research projected victory for Jon Ossoff, a documentary filmmaker, on Wednesday afternoon after fellow Democrat Raphael Warnock, a Baptist preacher, was projected as the victor in his Senate race in the early hours of Wednesday.

In Tuesday’s runoffs, Warnock defeated Kelly Loeffler, who was appointed a year ago to fill the seat of a retiring senator, and Ossoff beat David Perdue, who served a single term in the Senate.

Ossoff drew 50.3% and Perdue had 49.7% with 98% of the expected vote in, according to Edison. That pushed Ossoff’s lead beyond the margin needed to avoid a possible recount, and Edison said it expected his lead to grow.

The double Democratic triumph splits the Senate 50-50, with Vice President-elect Kamala Harris’s tie-breaking vote giving Democrats control of the chamber. Each of the 50 states is represented by two senators in the 100-seat chamber.

The sweep by the two Democratic candidates gives their party control of both chambers of Congress and the White House for the first time in a decade, dramatically shifting the balance of power in Washington.
Ok. Now the election is over.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

A failed coup to round of the Trump era and dems win Georgia. Not too bad.

Now with both houses under democrat control Joe Biden can finally execute order 66.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2021-01-07 02:52am A failed coup to round of the Trump era and dems win Georgia. Not too bad.

Now with both houses under democrat control Joe Biden can finally execute order 66.
Huh, which one was that again? Right: "Blow up Mars, because it obstructs our view of Pluto."

Well, with Congressional majorities thinner than a sheet of COVID, that might just be the only 'BANG' the Biden Administration will accomplish over the next two years.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-07 02:49am Democrats take control of U.S. Senate as they win second race in Georgia
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Democrats on Wednesday completed a sweep of the two U.S. Senate seats up for grabs in runoff elections in Georgia, giving the party control of the chamber and boosting the prospects for President-elect Joe Biden’s ambitious legislative agenda.

Edison Research projected victory for Jon Ossoff, a documentary filmmaker, on Wednesday afternoon after fellow Democrat Raphael Warnock, a Baptist preacher, was projected as the victor in his Senate race in the early hours of Wednesday.

In Tuesday’s runoffs, Warnock defeated Kelly Loeffler, who was appointed a year ago to fill the seat of a retiring senator, and Ossoff beat David Perdue, who served a single term in the Senate.

Ossoff drew 50.3% and Perdue had 49.7% with 98% of the expected vote in, according to Edison. That pushed Ossoff’s lead beyond the margin needed to avoid a possible recount, and Edison said it expected his lead to grow.

The double Democratic triumph splits the Senate 50-50, with Vice President-elect Kamala Harris’s tie-breaking vote giving Democrats control of the chamber. Each of the 50 states is represented by two senators in the 100-seat chamber.

The sweep by the two Democratic candidates gives their party control of both chambers of Congress and the White House for the first time in a decade, dramatically shifting the balance of power in Washington.
Ok. Now the election is over.
All Hail President Biden.

May he bring swift death to his enemies.

I'm only half joking.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

My military friends are expecting a full-scale invasion and bloodshed for the Inauguration.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-01-07 08:42pm My military friends are expecting a full-scale invasion and bloodshed for the Inauguration.
I am assuming the expectation is from the Trump nutters again?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Who else, the Green Martians?
And I'd expect that too, especially if the police again cooperate with the perpetrators
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

2021 starts with a week that lasts a month...

I sincerely hope that President Biden will be behind some bullet-proof glass at all times on the 20th.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

LaCroix wrote: 2021-01-09 03:30am 2021 starts with a week that lasts a month...
A friend of mine joked about the unprecedented events of "Dec-37th" and said he can't wait for 2021 to 'actually' start.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2021-01-09 08:55pmA friend of mine joked about the unprecedented events of "Dec-37th" and said he can't wait for 2021 to 'actually' start.
Wake me up when 2020 ends. I think that's how the song goes, right?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Batman wrote: 2021-01-08 08:48pm Who else, the Green Martians?
And I'd expect that too, especially if the police again cooperate with the perpetrators
I have Aliens down in Apocalypse bingo for Feb 2021, so, maybe!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Welp, this morning, Donald Trump slunk out of the White House, had a very small rally at Andrews, and then left for Florida. In fifty years, he'll be the top candidate to replace Andrew Johnson as the worst President in the history of the country (assuming someone nuttier doesn't gain power in the meantime.)

As I write this, in less than half an hour, Joe Biden will be inaugurated as the 46th President of the United States; inheriting one of the worst messes any President has ever inherited, and more importantly, putting an end to the debacle that was the 2020 US Presidential election cycle.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Please let this day be free of breaking news alerts
Let this be a boring pomp filled day

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So, after his pride and obsessive need to be adored led to the ruin of his nation and him personally being the most hated man in the entire world Trump has been stripped his ability to communicate with his supporters and enemies because he no longer has social media and reporters have no reason to broadcast what he says. He is now the one billionaire in America with good reason to fear that the government will take away his wealth and freedom.

We've been living through a five year Greek tragedy. Trump was the hero.

Let us hope the gods go back to other business on Olympus and leave us the fuck alone for awhile.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Mr Bean wrote: 2021-01-20 11:49am Please let this day be free of breaking news alerts
Let this be a boring pomp filled day
Fortunately, this seems to be what we're getting. The real crazies have, apparently, decided that there's too much security; so they're taking the day off.

It's starting to dawn on the casual crazies that, maybe, they've been had. The hero of their fever dreams ultimately slunk off to Florida, in dishonor and disgrace; so now they must cast about for something else to hang their tinfoil hats on.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

ELECTIONS ARE FINALLY OVER. GEORGIA'S SENATORS AND BIDEN/HARRIS ARE INSTALLED

THREAD LOCKED.