SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

Post by Elfdart »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2020-08-16 08:04pm Anyone's thoughts on this article? America sleep-walking into a stolen election

The thought of a second term for High Lord Douchebag is enough to make me ill with dread. :shock:
The reason Il Douchebag keeps insisting that the Corona virus is no big deal is not just to duck responsibility or get the serfs back to work under hazardous conditions. It's to get his fucktarded followers out to vote -and you can bet the rent they will. It's not like he gives a shit if any of them die from the plague weeks or months later. I'm lucky in that my state allows no-fault early voting. If your state doesn't, or if you believe the Post Office will conveniently "lose" your mail-in ballot (if your state allows it in the first place), then you just might consider masking up, carrying a bottle of sanitizer and voting in person.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

It is a real possibility but not inevitable. Pelosi and the other Dems are (in a moment of sanity) actually on top of things trying to deal with the post office situation
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

FireNexus wrote: 2020-08-17 01:22pm
Knife wrote: 2020-08-17 12:27pm Biden is up 10 points in the national polls. In key states, even some states he should not lead it, he is up past margin of error. Trump still hasn't done jack and shit about COVID except to dump trillions in the markets to 'stabilize' them. People are broke, unemployed, and scared shitless about getting sick and the GOP led government isn't helping them.

It is really unfortunate Trump is going after the mail for obvious corrupt reasons. But, again, the GOP Senate feels like it's no big deal and left on vacation. I've accepted the fact that the US postal service will be fucked up for this election. That said, it's not as dire as it first sounds. That I'm aware of, correct me if I'm wrong about individual states here and there, but all states should have county drop boxes for mail in votes whether they are a new thing this year or absentee ballots.

Plan early, vote early, go to the county drop box and put it in yourself so they don't have to rely on the USPS. 80 something days to figure out how to go from your home to the county drop box. Do it and vote the piece of shit out and set up a Presidential Commission on the last 4 years.
I’m very worried that the whole conniption about mail-in voting starting months ago was that the Russians have hacks for the voting machines, and the mail-in vote would represent an unhackable paper trail. Now I have the choice of mail voting that might not get counted or in person vote that might make me sick and might not get counted.
Again, take your mail in ballot to the county drop box. No USPS needed.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/us/p ... anges.html

DeJoy has conceded defeat and suspended any changes until AFTER the elections, by which point it won't matter.

Public outcry DOES work apparently
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Does that undo the changes already made? Because that's already pretty damaging.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Not sure but if those changes had gone through we'd be even more fucked.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Steve Bannon and three others arrested for conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Apparently the $25mill crowdfunder "we will build the wall" passed money to fund lavish lifestyles.

Shocked Pikachu
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Good riddance to bad rubbish. And given that Donny and Steve had a falling out I don't Trump's going to help him
'
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Curt schilling added to the list.

Re: Steve and Don, Trump will help him. He won’t want Bannon to squeal.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Jesus christ, Elizabeth Warren puts BLM in block letters behind her and a bunch of people start acting like she just personally pledged to kill Trump. No wonder your political system is so broken if people are that desperate for any skerrick of hope.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

FireNexus wrote: 2020-08-20 08:28pm Curt schilling added to the list.

Re: Steve and Don, Trump will help him. He won’t want Bannon to squeal.

If it's a state level crime he can't do jack shit.

Loomer: yeah that's a problem in America. For a long time we liked to pretend racism was something we conquered and it wasn't an issue rather than something that we made progress on but was still pernicious as shit
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-08-21 05:28amIf it's a state level crime he can't do jack shit.
You don’t get arrested by postal inspectors or indicted by SDNY for state level crimes. There may be some of those. But for sure they’re not what is in the news.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Sen. McSally urges supporters to donate to her campaign instead of buying a meal
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - Down in the polls and behind in fundraising, Arizona Sen. Martha McSally is telling her supporters to "fast a meal" and donate the money to her campaign instead.

The Republican senator made the request at a recent event in northern Arizona, where she told the audience that she needs more money to keep pace with her Democratic opponent, Mark Kelly.

"We're doing our part to catch up, you know, to get our message out. But it takes resources. So, anybody can give, I'm not ashamed to ask, to invest. If you can give a dollar, five dollars, if you can fast a meal and give what that would be," McSally told her audience on an audio recording obtained by Arizona's Family.

While many restaurants are struggling to survive the economic fallout caused by COVID-19, officials with McSally's campaign said she was joking about skipping a meal.

In a statement, a spokeswoman for the campaign said in part, "This is a dumb non-story about a candidate making a joke on the stump."

Republican businesswoman Christine Jones, who ran for governor in 2014 and Congress two years later, called McSally's fundraising pitch, "unconventional."

"I haven't talked to (McSally) about it, so I can't really opine on the specifics but it does feel like its a little bit of an act of desperation," Jones said.

While McSally has raised a lot of cash to wage her campaign this year, she has not been able to keep up with Kelly, who had more than double the cash on hand than she did at the end of June, which was the last reporting period.

Polls this month show Kelly leading McSally by as much as 11 points and as little as 5 points, according to a list of surveys tracked by the website, Real Clear Politics.
Telling her supporters to go hungry so they can help her win. Does anyone here believe that it was a joke ?
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I'm thinking about helping out the Biden campaign but when I look up a campaign website I get several different ones.

Which one is the real one? I'm concerned that some of them are fakes.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2020-08-25 09:22am I'm thinking about helping out the Biden campaign but when I look up a campaign website I get several different ones.

Which one is the real one? I'm concerned that some of them are fakes.
Your best bet is to go to an official campaign twitter account like @joebiden and go from there. The official Democratic donation portal is ActBlue.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Seeing the varied Republicans now sort of arguing for Biden is weird as shit. How many are just hedging their bets for a post-Trump environment within the party?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-08-22 07:10pm Sen. McSally urges supporters to donate to her campaign instead of buying a meal
Telling her supporters to go hungry so they can help her win. Does anyone here believe that it was a joke ?
This is quite fitting. If McSally and more like her get elected this November, multitudes will be missing meals -more than there are already.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-08-25 05:05pm Seeing the varied Republicans now sort of arguing for Biden is weird as shit. How many are just hedging their bets for a post-Trump environment within the party?
Not just “sort of arguing”. Many are full-throat endorsing. They know their Party is dead, and are probably angling for a new center-right Party after all is said and done.
To Absent Friends

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

The party of Lincoln is pretty much dead; the process began under Nixon, accelerated under Reagan and the Bushes and Trump finished it.

The dems need to evolve beyond the milquetoast centrist party they've become (a lot of their views are odious; many of them still defend Israeli war crimes for instance, and with how bad the environment is Biden's environmental plan needs to be more radical)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-08-26 03:46am The party of Lincoln is pretty much dead; the process began under Nixon, accelerated under Reagan and the Bushes and Trump finished it.
I'd be curious to see what "party of Lincoln" means to people who use the phrase, and why it's apparently died only recently.

- George Carlin
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-08-26 05:18pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2020-08-26 03:46am The party of Lincoln is pretty much dead; the process began under Nixon, accelerated under Reagan and the Bushes and Trump finished it.
I'd be curious to see what "party of Lincoln" means to people who use the phrase, and why it's apparently died only recently.
The Republican Party began with Abraham Lincoln and ended with Donald trump. The long decline began during the civil rights era when party ideologies began changing as the Dixiecrats abandoned the Democratic Party and eventually joined and subverted the Republican Party.
To Absent Friends

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Lord Revan wrote: 2020-08-14 10:53amLeft, Right once you got to extreme ends both are just as bad and honestly not really that different in actions.
That's an opinion one can afford to have when one is comfortable.

The problem we have lies in not understanding why extremeism is on the rise and always thinking the answer is in the middle. The problem is the middle has moved so far right that sernsisble leftist policies are considered extremism. A slow twisting of norms has occured, the overton window has moved so far right that everything is twisted.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

The way I see it is this. You should absolutely fight when you have to but NEVER get caught up in self righteousness to the point you fail to see your enemies humanity. If you're utterly convinced of your own moral perfection you literally become as bad as your enemy (when you get down to it Republicans do the horrible stuff they do because they're utterly convinced that they're in the right).
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-08-29 12:06am(when you get down to it Republicans do the horrible stuff they do because they're utterly convinced that they're in the right).
I mean, they're convinced that they're in the right, and also they are hateful MFers.

I feel like you are overemphasizing how much of a role simply being utterly convinced plays in this. Being utterly convinced that what you're doing is the right way to end structural racism and violence against gay and transgender people can be lead you to doing shitty things, but they won't be the same shitty things as a deep-set dedication to white supremacy and Christian dominionism. And likely not as bad.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Just a brief diversion into Congressional campaigning for a moment. This is well worth your three minutes. :lol:

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician