Former Massachusetts Governor to run for President

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Former Massachusetts Governor to run for President

Post by TimothyC »

This one?

No, not that one

Ok, how about this one?

No, not that one either

Him?

Now you're just screwing around.

You can't mean....

That's it!
Alexander Burns for the New York Times wrote:William F. Weld, the maverick former governor of Massachusetts, announced on Friday that he would form an exploratory committee to challenge President Trump for the Republican Party’s 2020 nomination, presenting himself as a dissident voice in a political party that has abandoned its mainstream roots.

Mr. Weld, 73, is the first Republican to announce he will run against the president. But Mr. Weld is unlikely to pose a major threat to Mr. Trump and he is in some ways an incongruous figure to leap into the presidential fray. Mr. Weld is a moderate Republican who ran for vice president in 2016 on the Libertarian ticket. His candidacy might be more of an act of protest than a conventional national campaign.

But appearing in New Hampshire, Mr. Weld called it a moral duty to stand against “the hard heart, closed mind and clenched fist of nativism and nationalism.”

“I hope to see the Republican Party assume once again the mantle of being the party of Lincoln,” Mr. Weld said, according to video posted by the news station WCVB. “It upsets me that our energies as a society are being sapped by the president’s culture of divisiveness of Washington.”

He continued: “We cannot sit passively as our precious democracy slips quietly into darkness.”

Mr. Weld had made little secret in recent months of his interest in challenging Mr. Trump in 2020, either by running for the Libertarian Party’s nomination or by contesting the Republican presidential primaries. He met repeatedly with Republicans organizing opposition to the president, and earlier this month he was reported to have changed his voter registration back to Republican.

Several other Republicans are contemplating challenges to Mr. Trump in the primaries, including Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland and former Gov. John Kasich of Ohio. Mr. Trump’s aides have taken the threat of a primary challenge seriously enough to undertake a close review of the rules for the Republican nominating convention and to begin scrutinizing state party chairs and potential convention delegates for political loyalty.

But Mr. Trump and his allies have largely declined to go after potential primary rivals in public, trusting that his solid approval ratings with Republicans will insulate him and declining to issue vocal attacks that could have the effect of elevating a challenger.

Mr. Weld, a former federal prosecutor from a prominent Boston family, has spent most of his career as the kind of Republican that used to dominate politics across the Northeast. A fiscal conservative who has long supported gay rights and abortion rights, Mr. Weld could have some appeal to moderate Republicans who feel alienated from their party as it continues to swing far to the right.

But partisan Republicans also have ample reason to regard Mr. Weld with suspicion. He endorsed Barack Obama for president in 2008 over John McCain, before flipping back to the Republican side in 2012 when his friend and longtime ally, Mitt Romney, was the G.O.P. nominee.

Mr. Weld then backed Jeb Bush in the 2016 Republican primaries, before defecting to the Libertarian Party to become the running mate of Gary Johnson, the former governor of New Mexico. The two won a little over 3 percent of the vote.

Mr. Weld explained his decision to run that year as a function of his horror over Mr. Trump’s candidacy, comparing Mr. Trump’s rhetoric about immigration to “the glass crunching on Kristallnacht in the ghettos of Warsaw and Vienna.

It is no accident that Mr. Weld unveiled his tentative plan to run for president in New Hampshire, where there is still a sizable community of Republican centrists and independent voters are permitted to vote in partisan primaries.

Mr. Weld has some experience with insurgent presidential primary challenges in New Hampshire. In 1992, as a fresh-faced governor from next door, Mr. Weld campaigned in the state to help President George H.W. Bush turn back a challenge from Pat Buchanan, a hard-right nationalist in the mold of Mr. Trump. Mr. Bush defeated Mr. Buchanan, but the conservative commentator’s showing in New Hampshire helped sustain his activist campaign nationally and hobbled the president’s re-election.

A New Hampshire contest between Mr. Trump and Mr. Weld would effectively reverse the roles from 1992 — with the fire-breathing immigration hawk as president, and the low-key aristocrat as his gadfly challenger.

Cassie Smedile, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee, dismissed Mr. Weld and any other challengers who might emerge, citing Mr. Trump’s popularity with Republicans and his “long list of incredible accomplishments for conservatives and the country.”

“The R.N.C. and the Republican Party are firmly behind the president,” she said. “Any effort to challenge the president’s nomination is bound to go absolutely nowhere.”
And we're off to the races.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Former Massachusetts Governor to run for President

Post by Knife »

He just needs to pull single digit numbers to be a real danger to Trump. In 2018, Dems were a real threat in districts that were +15 to 20 Trump in 2016. It's not like it wasn't razor close anyways. Wonder if Feld has the money and stomach to keep in it even with less than 10% in the polls.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Hopefully this will spur other primary challenges. Would be worth it to register Republican just to vote against Trump in a primary.

Probably doomed to failure: the rabid base will continue to be a rabid base. But who knows? Maybe if there's a good enough showing the Republican party will ever so slightly inch back away from the crazy and we could have a viable opposition party.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Quick question, if Trump loses the nomination, he won't be able to run for re-election as a Republican?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Enigma wrote: 2019-02-16 01:54pm Quick question, if Trump loses the nomination, he won't be able to run for re-election as a Republican?
As a Republican? No. Run? Yes, I guess. He's need to front a shit ton of cash or have others front it, but yes, he could run independent if the GOP doesn't nominate him. It would be a huge rebuff though. He was kind of lining up for that anyways in 2016, made some noise about it, inoculating himself from defeat and edging for a independent run. But he got nominated so, dropped that quick.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Knife wrote: 2019-02-16 02:14pm
Enigma wrote: 2019-02-16 01:54pm Quick question, if Trump loses the nomination, he won't be able to run for re-election as a Republican?
As a Republican? No. Run? Yes, I guess. He's need to front a shit ton of cash or have others front it, but yes, he could run independent if the GOP doesn't nominate him. It would be a huge rebuff though. He was kind of lining up for that anyways in 2016, made some noise about it, inoculating himself from defeat and edging for a independent run. But he got nominated so, dropped that quick.
As I recall, some states have "sore loser" provisions that keep the losers of primary contests from being on the ballot as independents in the general. It would be interesting to see how that would interact with an incumbent President running after losing his party's nomination.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Knife wrote: 2019-02-16 02:14pm
The problem is that I'm pretty sure deadlines for registering to run Independent in at least some states are passed by the time of the party conventions. I seem to recall this coming up when people (read: idiots) were bandying about the possibility of a Bernie Sanders independent run if he lost the primary.

Edit: Anyway, I fully expect Trump to win a Republican primary, especially since the RNC, in another moment of shameless groveling, has already made it clear that they fully back Trumpolini as their nominee. But the very fact that he is facing a challenge should further erode his standing, and might possibly encourage other Republicans to envision a future for their party without being tied to Trump, and defect. It will definitely weaken him going into 2020.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Another possibility is that this is a very canny move by Gov. Weld to get out ahead of the game. Because there is a very real possibility-not a huge one, maybe, but a possibility-that Donald Trump will be removed from office before the 2020 elections. In which case, the Republican nomination could become anyone's game. Pence would be the obvious pick unless he went down as well, but it would be a more open field at that point, and the guy who got out there and started campaigning as the Republican alternative to Trump a year ahead of time would have a big advantage.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Shit, I've been making Weld '20 jokes since '18. Who says Raw Shark doesn't know anything? No, really, line starts here; alphabetical order, please.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-16 06:29pmEdit: Anyway, I fully expect Trump to win a Republican primary, especially since the RNC, in another moment of shameless groveling, has already made it clear that they fully back Trumpolini as their nominee. But the very fact that he is facing a challenge should further erode his standing, and might possibly encourage other Republicans to envision a future for their party without being tied to Trump, and defect. It will definitely weaken him going into 2020.
Of course. As much as Republicans pretend to dislike Trump, they'll stay in line out of party loyalty or whatever.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Weld 2020: Because Romney is just too edgy.