Angela Merkel Will Not Seek a 5th Term as Germany's Leader

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Jub
Sith Marauder

Angela Merkel Will Not Seek a 5th Term as Germany's Leader

Post by Jub »

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/25/18197499/ ... any-europe

There's not much by way of an article to post as Vox made their case in video form so I urge those interested to watch the video below.

My thoughts are that 2021 is going to be a dark year for Europe if Merkel isn't replaced by somebody of equally strong will and principals. Her party has replaced her with a moderate and the refugee crisis, something that the US has played a large hand in creating, may ensure that a moderate is not a viable choice to stand against extreme right-wing parties. I can't see Europe being nearly as peaceful nor as unified with Merkel's leadership.

That said, I've never lived in Europe. I don't know how many nuances, scandals, and poor choices I may be missing when it comes to Merkel's political career. Maybe it's just time for her to go?

Either way, her looming departure leaves a lot of question marks and I think that makes this worthy of being posted.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Angela Merkel Will Not Seek a 5th Term as Germany's Leader

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, if things keep going as they have been, I'm bracing for the day that they Make Germany Great Again.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Its not especially new news. She announced this much months back. She has had a generation of terms. For the long term good of the country and party she needs to let others step up. Alt fur dickheads is growing in popularity.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-01-27 03:46am Its not especially new news. She announced this much months back. She has had a generation of terms. For the long term good of the country and party she needs to let others step up. Alt fur dickheads is growing in popularity.
It may not be new but I didn't see it getting much talk around these parts.

I agree, that eventually, the old guard need to step away and allow the new blood to step up, I just hope that the new person filling her shoes and the party behind them are half as good as Merkel has been.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

It does not come as a surprise.

Anyway, except Merkel's humanitarian act several years prior, there isn't much "good" about her.

Although of course, just about anything beats neo-Nazis in power.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Of course, Merkel and the politics her ilk pursues (neoliberalism) is a pretty good at creating said neonazis...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2019-01-28 12:19pm Of course, Merkel and the politics her ilk pursues (neoliberalism) is a pretty good at creating said neonazis...
Previously they were a non-entity. Under Merkel, they have grown to become a major threat and even parts of the establishment, as usual, are now kowtowing to them. And dangerously these are the parts related to law enforcement.

Although I must say as most of Europe was following similar neoliberal policies - with socially disastrous results - and now most nations have to face similar issues.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali