Head of Russia's space program discusses going to the Moon to verify whether America ever landed there.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Head of Russia's space program discusses going to the Moon to verify whether America ever landed there.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 50056.html

Excerpt:
The head of Russia’s national space agency has proposed a mission to the moon to verify whether the American moon landings really took place.

Dmitry Rogozin responded to a question about whether Nasa’s Apollo programme actually put men on the moon back in the 1960s and 1970s during a conversation with the president of Moldova, Igor Dodon.

He appeared to be joking, as he smirked and shrugged while answering. But conspiracies surrounding Nasa’s moon missions are common in Russia.

In a video of their interaction, posted to his 815,000 Twitter followers, Mr Rogozin says: “We have set this objective to fly and verify whether they’ve been there or not”.

Nasa’s six well-documented official manned missions to the surface of the Moon, beginning with astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin in July 1969 and continuing with Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt in December 1972, have been dogged with conspiracy theories.
Don't like the way history went? Just rewrite it.

But seriously, I hope Russia goes for it. It might finally motivate us to get our own space program back in shape, and if it doesn't, and they beat us there this time, I honestly wouldn't begrudge them the victory. Partly because it would be our own damn fault, and partly because establishing a permanent human presence on other worlds will have benefits for all life on Earth that transcend any current political conflicts, however important they may be.

But seriously- doing something as grandiose as going to the Moon so you can validate your fake news conspiracy theory and retroactively erase America's greatest Cold War triumph is just... so Putin. I think we may have reached Peak Putin here, folks.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Head of Russia's space program discusses going to the Moon to verify whether America ever landed there.

Post by Galvatron »

Let them. The aliens who made us cancel Apollo 18 will show them why we never returned to the moon...
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Re: Head of Russia's space program discusses going to the Moon to verify whether America ever landed there.

Post by Marko Dash »

why do i get the feeling they'd film a piece of empty moonscape and say that it's where the Apollo 11 site is supposed to be, just to encourage shit for brain social media types.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

He appeared to be joking, as he smirked and shrugged while answering
So why do we think he isn't just trolling or joking?

But assuming they want to do a moon mission, a probe like the Chinese did is most probably the cheaper way to do it. Although the Chinese sent it to a previously unexplored area of the moon so the Russians would have to send it to the same area explored by the Americans if part of the mission's mandate involves verifying whether the US really did go to the moon. In other words, might not add too much more to our knowledge as opposed to going to an unexplored part.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It would be a viable mission if they could get a robot rover on the Moon. It could go on a detour.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Or they could fire a laser at the moon, which by itself proves there are man-made objects up there. :mrgreen:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-11-26 04:36am
He appeared to be joking, as he smirked and shrugged while answering
So why do we think he isn't just trolling or joking?

But assuming they want to do a moon mission, a probe like the Chinese did is most probably the cheaper way to do it. Although the Chinese sent it to a previously unexplored area of the moon so the Russians would have to send it to the same area explored by the Americans if part of the mission's mandate involves verifying whether the US really did go to the moon. In other words, might not add too much more to our knowledge as opposed to going to an unexplored part.
Yeah, it may very well be just a joke. Albeit one that I kind of wish is serious.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I see the old misinformation scheme has held out longer than anyone expected it to. What they are going to discover is of course the lunar colony set up 50 years ago by the Duchy of Grand Fenwick. :twisted: :roll: :wink: :P :P :P
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-11-26 04:10pm I see the old misinformation scheme has held out longer than anyone expected it to. What they are going to discover is of course the lunar colony set up 50 years ago by the Duchy of Grand Fenwick. :twisted: :roll: :wink: :P :P :P
I thought it was the one set up by the Nazis? :lol:
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I Sooooooo want 2018 Russia to attempt a moon landing. We'll get the explosions filmed in HD this time and it will look amazing.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956