POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by TheFeniX »

The Infidel wrote: 2019-05-08 05:37pmWait, Trump & co said this? The same guys who obstructed Obama at every turn? The same party that let an adulterer with a bastard child investigate a BJ to that extent that Iran defended Clinton in the UN? (I remember seing it on TV, but can't find the clip now.)
I don't even use Twitter but articles show up in my news feed that posts excerpts from Trump and his cronies in the Senate who are tweeting shit like "Dems stole 2 years of our presidency with this investigation and stone-walling us in Congress." You think they're going to take responsibility for being so inept for 2 years when controlling 2 branches of govt and not getting anything done?

Since when has blatant hypocrisy stopped anyone in politics? The entirety of the Trump admin is "we're having the same shit done to us we did to Obama! So unfair!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Infidel wrote: 2019-05-08 11:13am TRR: Do people actually say that democrats ruined the two first years of Trumps presidency without remembering that the repubs had both houses that time? How ... interesting...
Yeah. They do. Worse, they are using that to start floating the idea of extending Trump's term limits, with Trump himself retweeting a proposal that he deserves two additional years recently.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I have no idea what the 'at least we voted with our conscience' one means.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I have no idea how implying that MAGA supporters have small dicks relates to politics either.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-05-13 10:25am I have no idea what the 'at least we voted with our conscience' one means.
I think it's meant as a jab at voters with perceived culpability for oppressive right-wing regimes due to behavior that exhibits more idealism than pragmatism at the polls and their luxury of observing the consequences of their actions for minorities from behind the insulation of white privilege.
Jub wrote: 2019-05-13 10:28am I have no idea how implying that MAGA supporters have small dicks relates to politics either.
IMHO it's an attempt to portray the typical MAGA hat-wearing dude as somebody who glorifies and tries to project a certain version of idealized masculinity that he himself cannot personally live up to.

~~~~~

But, y'know, if you have to explain the joke...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-05-13 10:25am I have no idea what the 'at least we voted with our conscience' one means.
I got the opposite reading. To me its says That people who use the excuse they voted to absolve themselves of all responsibility when faced with a regime doing bad things, are still guilty through negligence and inactivity.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think it's a dig on those who vote Green Party over voting the mainstream candidate, at the cost of losing the election. IE, Bernie or Busters, those who will vote Green, or not vote at all, allowing more Trump in office.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Let's keep the political cartoons to actual political cartoons and not shitty memes.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-05-13 01:06pm I think it's a dig on those who vote Green Party over voting the mainstream candidate, at the cost of losing the election. IE, Bernie or Busters, those who will vote Green, or not vote at all, allowing more Trump in office.
Yep, that's pretty much how I took it. Its a jab at the (mostly privileged white) self-styled progressives who voted third party or whatever because "Both Sides" or "I don't want to vote for the lesser evil", and then patted themselves on the back for their "principles" after throwing every woman, minority, and poor person in America (or the world, for that matter, since America's actions have global effects) under the bus because they didn't get their way.

You know, the same people who are lining up to do the same thing all over again if Biden this time.
Jub wrote: 2019-05-13 10:28am I have no idea how implying that MAGA supporters have small dicks relates to politics either.
It's a cheap shot, I'll admit, but I take it as a reference to the fact that a lot of Trump supporters are incel types who are pretty clearly motivated by insecurities about their masculinity/resentment of women.
Dalton wrote: 2019-05-13 02:14pm Let's keep the political cartoons to actual political cartoons and not shitty memes.
Is this directed at me? And if so, then with all due respect, what qualifies my posts as just "shitty memes" as opposed to political cartoons? Where is the line drawn? Because that could very easily be read as "Don't post cartoons with a message I disagree with/think isn't valid."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-13 07:50pm
Dalton wrote: 2019-05-13 02:14pm Let's keep the political cartoons to actual political cartoons and not shitty memes.
Is this directed at me? And if so, then with all due respect, what qualifies my posts as just "shitty memes" as opposed to political cartoons? Where is the line drawn? Because that could very easily be read as "Don't post cartoons with a message I disagree with/think isn't valid."
Here's a crazy idea, what political policy is behind small penises? Is it pro or anti free trade with Slovakia? Or does it support background checks on assault rifles, or is it making a point about economic policy.

Or is it just a insult meme towards a voting group?

Here I can find one in thirty seconds that's a low effort meme which at least makes a point

I'd not consider this a political cartoon even if it is political it's just a meme, you know a repurposed image with text slapped over top of it. Political cartoons are cartoons or other drawings that make some sort of political statement or do you consider Penis size a political statement? How many inches is being pro life worth compared to anti-abortion? Can you tell me the John Thomas size of someone who believes in supply side economics verses state run capitalism?

What's the shaft size of a Dutch christian reform voter?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I explained the relevance to Alt. Reich ideology as I see it in my previous post.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-13 09:19pm I explained the relevance to Alt. Reich ideology as I see it in my previous post.
Still waiting to hear about the penis sizes, come on man we need numbers, your posting meme's saying small equals alt-right supporting, so are Republican women's penises equal small or are they larger, now you've brought size measurements into this you need to follow it all the way.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Now you're just trolling. Small dicks is symbolic (well, except when it isn't) for the Alt. Reich being motivated by male insecurity and resentment of women. As I already explained. At any rate, that's my interpretation and I'm standing by it.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-14 01:16am Now you're just trolling. Small dicks is symbolic (well, except when it isn't) for the Alt. Reich being motivated by male insecurity and resentment of women. As I already explained. At any rate, that's my interpretation and I'm standing by it.
No sir I'm very serious because I'm taking YOU seriously because you have post a low effort meme indicating MAGA Hat wearing indicates penis size which is a fascinating point if true (As opposed to a low effort insult directed at a group of America voters) because you've made a very unique argument and I'm asking you to expand on it, if you really believe that Small dicks is symbolic for the Alt then who gets the big dicks? Who get's the average sized dicks? Who are the dickless? Because you've made a secondary claim here that the Alt Right because Penis size is correlational to membership.

Which is a strange thing because surveys tend to indicate being a non-college educated white low income American as the most common type of alt-right voter. But here you come The Romulan Republic indicating that this is incorrect and we should have been asking about penis size all along. I am take you seriously RR this could be a fascinating branch of study, I'll shoot an unsolicited email over to 538 and see if the statisticians are interested in addition Penis size in there right after gender/race/age/economic status/penis size.

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Jesus H. Christ, do we REALLY have to litigate every goddamned thing?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Clever, guillotines don't work on the moon.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Fors some reason all I can think of is a less charitable version of S R Hadden from the movie 'Contact'.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

RIP, R COBB
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ooof. For some reason seeing the Oval Office that trashed hurts my soul, but it's a great metaphor.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-11-13 10:34pm Ooof. For some reason seeing the Oval Office that trashed hurts my soul, but it's a great metaphor.
Imagine if Trump really leaves it looking like that...
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Solauren wrote: 2020-11-13 11:13pmImagine if Trump really leaves it looking like that...
The place would still be in better nick than Madison left it.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I love the spray-tan silhouette on the wall, looming silently...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I mean, I think it's a well-done cartoon in general, hence why I posted it. There are a ton of little details the closer you look at it, from the bottle of bleach with a straw in it, to the torn up Constitution, the Putin bust, the picture of Mount Rushmore, and the cartoonist trusted the reader to actually understand the message without him having to write "BROKEN NORMS" and "CORRUPTION" all over everything.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

only thing missing is that it isnt on fire.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Oh, Divine Shadow, what was the name of that cartoon?
I remember I read it years ago and loved it, but don't remember the name.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting