RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Post by Iroscato »

http://bbc.in/2havv7f

Fuck fuck FUCK.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
HortonX25
Redshirt

Re: Carrie Fisher suffers heart attack.

Post by HortonX25 »

That's terrible. I do hope she recovers. 60 is way too young to go.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Hope she gets better.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

HortonX25 wrote:That's terrible. I do hope she recovers. 60 is way too young to go.
Pretty much my sentiments as well.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Whole rundown in there.

Relevant part:
Update 7:05PM: Todd Fisher, Carrie’s brother, has told the AP that his sister is “out of emergency”and in a stable condition at a Los Angeles Hospital.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's great news. Hopefully she makes a full recovery. 60 is, indeed, far too young to go.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

That's a relief. I was getting really worried when news pages were being so vague about her condition.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

Unfortunately reports that Carrie is fine are false, shes in the ICU

Basically the media somehow got "she's fine" out of, "she's in the ICU"
Carrie Fisher has been hospitalized and is in intensive care after suffering a full cardiac arrest on Friday while aboard an airplane headed from London to Los Angeles.

The actress was in critical condition earlier in the day, an emergency official told Variety on Friday afternoon. She was moved from the emergency room to the Intensive Care Unit hours later, her brother, Todd Fisher, said Friday evening. The actor and filmmaker said his sister is not in stable condition, despite previous reports.

“She’s in the ICU and everybody’s praying for her,” he told Variety in a phone interview. “There’s nothing new from the doctors. There’s nothing new at all. … There’s no good news or bad news.”
Todd Fisher said media outlets are “writing between the lines” in reporting that she’s now in stable condition. The Associated Press reported earlier today that Todd Fisher said Carrie Fisher was in stable condition and “out of emergency.”
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Out of the emergency room, but still in the ICU.

Well, I suppose no news is better than bad news.

But shame on the press for their sloppy reporting.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Don't do heroin kids. Kinda an important lesson in America right now.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Is their any evidence that this is related to her prior drug use? Their are plenty of reasons that a sixty year old person might suffer a heart attack.

Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

While I genuinely wish her and her family the best of thoughts and wishes and hope she recovers from this, am I a despicable human being for also thinking at first glance after seeing the headline that I hope she doesn't croak and actually recovers so that she can finish filming the sequel trilogy?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's in a lot of peoples' minds, of course, but its also obviously not the foremost concern here.

But yeah, I hope that too, partly because it would mean that Carrie Fisher is alive and recovered enough to act.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Is their any evidence that this is related to her prior drug use? Their are plenty of reasons that a sixty year old person might suffer a heart attack.
Cocaine is the drug I tend to think of that causes heart attacks. Or rather prinzmetal angina, but lets not get technical.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Don't do heroin kids. Kinda an important lesson in America right now.
Her drug of choice was cocaine.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have a horrible suspicion that Disney actually has draft copies of the script of Episodes VIII and IX with each of the original Star Wars actors 'written out' in case one or more of them drop dead during filming.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Simon_Jester wrote:I have a horrible suspicion that Disney actually has draft copies of the script of Episodes VIII and IX with each of the original Star Wars actors 'written out' in case one or more of them drop dead during filming.
I wouldn't be surpriced if it was standard policy for film makers doing multi-film series like this that once an actor gets above a certain age that there's a plan in place in they die either while filming or after it, but before the series is done.

After all people die there's nothing sinister about preparing for that possibility.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm kind of pissed the way some of the news is bordering on talking about her in the past tense. Can we wait on that until she is, you know, actually dead?

In the ICU after an episode like that is nothing particularly sinister. We'll know more in a few days.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Indeed.

Sensationalist vultures, always trying to jump the gun and get the next big story out first.

HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Indeed.

Sensationalist vultures, always trying to jump the gun and get the next big story out first.
Morality and kindness have unfortunately never been something that goes alongside the media all that well.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

NPR's top of the hour newscast said that we only know she had some sort of medical emergency and is in the ICU, and that most of what was initially reported was speculation.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Mlenk wrote:While I genuinely wish her and her family the best of thoughts and wishes and hope she recovers from this, am I a despicable human being for also thinking at first glance after seeing the headline that I hope she doesn't croak and actually recovers so that she can finish filming the sequel trilogy?
No, it just means you're a human being and a big fan. Nothing wrong with that.

http://people.com/movies/carrie-fisher- ... -trending/
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Is their any evidence that this is related to her prior drug use? Their are plenty of reasons that a sixty year old person might suffer a heart attack.
Cocaine can cause much younger and healthier people to die from heart attacks, and even when people stop using, the damage to the heart and blood vessels is already done. It's quite reasonable to think her heart attack is related to her cocaine use, just as it's reasonable to suppose that someone who was a recovered alcoholic and had a stroke at a relatively young age might be suffering from long-term damage from heavy drinking.

Her mother is still alive and well into her 80s, as was her father when he died a few years ago, so maybe heart conditions don't run in the family. But really, who knows? Anyway, I hope she pulls through. This has been an incredibly shitty two years for a number of artists I've liked for a long time (most recently, the death of Greg Lake) and I'd like to finish this year without any more celebrity obituaries.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Carrie Fisher Dead at 60.

Post by General Zod »

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Carrie Fisher Dead at 60.

Post by NecronLord »

RIP Carrie.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth