ISIS builds NHS-style public health service

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

ISIS builds NHS-style public health service

Post by Irbis »

Islamic State NHS-style hospital video posted

Islamic State appears to have released a promotional video for its own health service featuring NHS-style branding and an Australian doctor.

The video has not been verified but was being circulated by IS-affiliated social media accounts and bears all the hallmarks of previous IS productions.

Using an NHS-style logo, it introduces the "ISHS" - or IS Health Service.

It appears to have been filmed in Raqqa General Hospital in the Syrian IS stronghold of Raqqa.

The first doctor in the video talks about the establishment of a health ministry that regulates medical facilities across IS territory, including the Raqqa hospital, which he says has been refurbished.

A second doctor introduces the intensive care unit, which he says treats victims of military conflict and car accidents. A third speaks about the X-ray department, which includes a women-only unit.

The Australian doctor, who calls himself Abu Yusuf, says he travelled from his home country to join IS and is using his medical skills "as part of my jihad for Islam".

He is shown treating newborn babies in incubators, in a section of the video set in the hospital's apparently well-equipped paediatric ward.

Speaking directly to camera, he says he wished he had joined IS sooner. He calls on doctors and other medical professionals in the West to join the group.

The video also includes commentary on the hospital's physiotherapy and dialysis services.

Analysis: Gordon Corera, security correspondent, BBC News

Amidst the growing tide of IS propaganda videos, this is one of the more striking. The production values are - as we have now come to expect - high-end and glossy. The opening titles look more like a TV drama about life in a hospital than a documentary from a war zone.

But while some IS videos - notably those featuring the beheading of hostages - are aimed at spreading terror, this one is clearly designed to encourage recruitment. The idea is to present IS as something akin to a normal state, with a health service like that of Britain's NHS - even with a similar logo.

The film also carefully focuses on some of the technology available in the hospital - dialysis, X-ray and ultrasound machines.

The ability of IS to upload such videos remains a real source of concern to western governments who fear that many are still trying to go out to IS territory in Syria or Iraq - even if some are stopped.
Who knows, maybe critics are right and Obamacare really is evil Muslim conspiracy :lol:

Video in question:

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: ISIS builds NHS-style public health service

Post by Broomstick »

So... yeah, they can be an appalling, despotic theocracy AND provide decent healthcare. I'm not seeing a contradiction there.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

What contradiction exactly? :|

I just find it mildly funny at this rate even ISIS is going to have public healthcare before USA.

Anyone wants to bet when the ISHS will be used as an argument against Obama/Hillary/Democrats for the first time?
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

How likely is it that ISIS will be able to translate this program into widespread practice considering they are currently in the middle of a war opposed by literally every other faction with a presence in the Middle East, controlling a territory that's been devastated by years of war and where millions of people (including presumably many of the medical personnel) have fled?
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Not so sure on the medical personnel fleeing - a sense of duty can be a dangerous thing. Also, for a proto country, this is a sensible use of resources - the kind of disease and illness that is most widespread will be the low hanging fruit, so small investment priduces a large increase in people's well being, loyalty and ability to work and be productive.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Irbis wrote:I just find it mildly funny at this rate even ISIS is going to have public healthcare before USA.
Public healthcare's easy when you don't give a shit about ethics. Unlike ISIL, Obama can't just sell some women into slavery or loot a few museums if he needs to fund a new hospital.