Coalition F-16 downed over ISIS, pilot captured

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Coalition F-16 downed over ISIS, pilot captured

Post by Broomstick »

You don't have to actually sign an international agreement to observe its rules. It would certainly be wonderful if ISIL observed the Geneva conventions, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Welf wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Simon, I think arguing with an attorney about legal definitions of things is generally a bad career move.
I honestly am not that big of an expert on the law of war though, so I won't speak from authority here.
You're a lawyer? I always thought you're some kind of history researcher.
Yes, that is my current position and one I'd like to continue for the rest of my live.

However, given the market, I wanted to have something to fall back on so I did Jura first.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zilkar
Redshirt

Post by Zilkar »

LaCroix wrote:I was not aware that ISIS had signed the convention, so this is a moot point anyway. You cannot violate a law you don't have...
Actually, under international law and the Law of Armed Conflict an accused can be held to account even if the nation or organization has not actually signed or ratified the applicable statutes.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

LaCroix wrote:I was not aware that ISIS had signed the convention, so this is a moot point anyway. You cannot violate a law you don't have...
You must follow Customary International Law, even if you haven't signed anything agreeing to any of it. That's what "customary" means. The Geneva Conventions have been acknowledged as international law by everyone for so long that that apply to everyone, even non-signatories, because everyone understands that they are international law. Just like the 3 mile limit for international waters. There's no formal agreement stating such. It just is. Diplomatic immunity is similar. People came to the conclusion that diplomats should be immune to local laws well before it got codified into an international treaty.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Has anything more been reported on this pilot? This was all over the news for a day or so, and then, nothing.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Zilkar
Redshirt

Post by Zilkar »

Ubiquitous, I have checked a number of ME news sites and have not seen anything further. I am going to hope that this means they are in the process of either a) negotiating his release, or b) finalizing the rescue package.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The pilot was just executed by being burned alive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pilot.html
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

Well that's a new low.

Things like this are making it reeeeeeeally hard to feel bad about anything done in retaliation to members of ISIS...
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'd rather we not sink to their level and start torturing and murdering our captives.

That said, I fully support fighting against them.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Things like this are making it reeeeeeeally hard to feel bad about anything done in retaliation to members of ISIS...
Jordan flat out said a week ago that they would fast-track the execution (judgement) of all ISIS prisoners they captured if the pilot is not returned alive.

Well...I guess let the hangings begin.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'd rather we not sink to their level and start torturing and murdering our captives.
Oh wait, we already do that...

Sorry. Really bitter about that. Still, so much for being held as a POW.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, I can't say I'm happy about some of the shit that happened after 911. Though to the best of my knowledge they never burned anyone alive at Guantanamo. Not that that's saying much.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Its strange the at ISIS kills pretty much all their captives. Most terrorist groups capture people and then hold them for leverage in negotiations (be it for money or prisoner exchanges), as human shields, or just to have a continuing source of propaganda.

ISIS just kill fucks everyone. Its for propaganda purposes, sure, but pretty limited propaganda. They get a guy/gal/FUCKING CHILD and then behead them like they are goddamn barbarians (but that would be insulting to actual barbarians) on film and thats it.

I do wonder if they do their killings to try to provoke a response from the international community. Best way to get more people to behead, burn alive, or if they are feeling merciful enslave is to get people pissed off enough to send dudes in the area, not to mention the propaganda boon having western pig dogs trampling about in their western pig dog Altama boots in the ME.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The executions, for the most part, have not necessarily been out of hand; generally they have been after demands by ISIS were not met. Whether the demands were reasonable is quite another story. They are violent revolutionary ideologues who are currently running the roost; they do it because they know that (for now) they can largely get away with it. And as far as provoking the West into sending a military boots-on-the-ground response, well, I suspect that the region is starting to get very close to the point where they would actually welcome such an intervention... the big question is when it will become politically viable for the West to do so because frankly there's not much chance otherwise, as sad and fucked up as that is.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I would say that reacting to this with 'well, we can do whatever we want to them now since they're so barbaric' is not only morally questionable, but also a perfect propaganda tool for ISIS recruitment.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Joun_Lord wrote:Its strange the at ISIS kills pretty much all their captives. Most terrorist groups capture people and then hold them for leverage in negotiations (be it for money or prisoner exchanges), as human shields, or just to have a continuing source of propaganda.

ISIS just kill fucks everyone. Its for propaganda purposes, sure, but pretty limited propaganda. They get a guy/gal/FUCKING CHILD and then behead them like they are goddamn barbarians (but that would be insulting to actual barbarians) on film and thats it.
That's the thing - they do not. In fact, they release captives, or even whole groups, you just don't hear about it in news because only demonising enemies these days sells. Two first links for example:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... tives-iraq

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... late-mosul

As for provoking international reaction, I don't know. I'd say the killings are just revenge by proxy, the only way ISIS can show their supporters they still fight, by washing dishonour with blood (and Jordanians about to do the same in response). The pilot dying in especially gruesome way because they deemed token response to western bombing was more important for morale than prisoner exchange they discussed with Jordan for some time.
Borgholio wrote:[link]
Daily Fail? *sigh* Really? There were no better, less rabidly non-objective sources...? :|
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, I can't say I'm happy about some of the shit that happened after 911. Though to the best of my knowledge they never burned anyone alive at Guantanamo. Not that that's saying much.
Actually the CIA did send prisoners to prisons in places like Uzbekistan where boiling water executions are known to occur.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/01/inter ... print&_r=0
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

cosmicalstorm wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, I can't say I'm happy about some of the shit that happened after 911. Though to the best of my knowledge they never burned anyone alive at Guantanamo. Not that that's saying much.
Actually the CIA did send prisoners to prisons in places like Uzbekistan where boiling water executions are known to occur.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/01/inter ... print&_r=0
Really? If so, that's pretty disgusting.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Daily Fail? *sigh* Really? There were no better, less rabidly non-objective sources...? :|
Are they that bad?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Borgholio wrote:
Are they that bad?
From my admittedly limited understanding they are the british equivalent of Fox News.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

From my admittedly limited understanding they are the british equivalent of Fox News.
Oh fuck me.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Don't worry, the Guardian has the same headline, so it is still true.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So does Al-Jazeera

I don't grasp the mental process of someone who would deliberately burn someone alive, and don't particularly care to achieve that viewpoint. However, I have to wonder if their situation is such that they can only continue to exist by continual battle and plunder. Thus, well-publicized, gruesome executions would serve to continue to rile up their enemies (pretty much everyone not them) and thus supply the on-going war they requires for their purposes.

Meanwhile, by exchanging some captives for money or whatever, with a very real threat of execution, might allow for larger ransom demands being paid.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote:I don't grasp the mental process of someone who would deliberately burn someone alive, and don't particularly care to achieve that viewpoint.
It's not hard. If one sees their enemy as being less than human, anything is possible. Inflict pain and suffering to presumably deal with one's own pain. Think of how many people wanted a nuclear apocalypse over the ME after 11/9, or pretty much any standard internet tough guy business.

People feel wronged, and they're taking it out on their (sometimes relatively) powerless societal others. The object of torture is torture.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Broomstick wrote:However, I have to wonder if their situation is such that they can only continue to exist by continual battle and plunder. Thus, well-publicized, gruesome executions would serve to continue to rile up their enemies (pretty much everyone not them) and thus supply the on-going war they requires for their purposes.
I don't think that is credible. If you want plunder, you don't want to rile up your enemies into mounting a costly defense - you want them to just roll over and give you what you want, or run away, leaving what you want. They could be trying to force the latter, thinking that if they bloody a few more noses America & Co will back off and let them get back to the genocide and looting.