Another victim of no-knock raids and police militarization

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Another victim of no-knock raids and police militarization

Post by His Divine Shadow »

And the war on drugs. This time a 19 month old baby. You might not want to click the link due to pics.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... drug-raid/

A Georgia toddler has been put into a medically induced coma after he was badly burned by a police “flash bang” grenade that landed in the crib where the boy was sleeping during a drug raid, his mother told ABC News today.
The raid occurred before dawn Wednesday night in Habersham County while the Phonesavanh family was sleeping.
“It was a big flash, a loud bang, a bunch of yelling, and my son screaming,” the boy’s mom, Alecia Phonesavanh, 27, told ABC News.
“Two of my other girls were next to my husband. There was a member of the SWAT team pinning him down, another man had my son who was screaming and crying,” Phonesavanh said.
“At that time I didn’t see his playpen, but I kept telling him to ‘Please just give him to me,’” Phonesavanh said of 19-month-old son Bounkham. “‘He’s just scared.’”

According to Phonesavanh, authorities reassured her that everything was fine, “‘He’s okay, he’s just fine, there’s nothing wrong with him,’” she recalled through tears.
“They lied to me. They kept telling me my son was okay,” she said. “When I saw his playpen I just about threw up. I got really sick, I was so scared.”
“That picture is enough to traumatize anybody knowing that there was a baby lying there,” Phonesavanh said.
When police raided the house early Wednesday morning, they dropped a “flash bang” which police concede landed and exploded in the child’s portable crib.
“It landed in his playpen and exploded on his pillow right in his face,” Phonesavanh told ABC’s Atlanta affiliate, WSB-TV.

Habersham County Sheriff Joey Terrell told ABC News, “It felt like somebody just hit me in the gut with a sledgehammer when I heard. I got the call at about 2:25 a.m. and I just didn’t sleep no more the rest of the night.”
“That’s pretty much how the rest of the guys on our team felt… it brings tears quite regularly these days, and I’m not ashamed to admit it,” Terrell said.
The sheriff said that the Special Response Team, SRT, did the best they could with the information they were given.
A confidential informant was sent to the residence on Tuesday to make a buy for methamphetamine, Terrell said. At the time of the purchase, there were two Mercedes SUVs parked in the driveway, with a guard standing at the front door and the back door. The informant did not enter the home and made the alleged purchase in the doorway, the sheriff said.
“It was really uncomfortable, and really intimidating. The informant made the purchase and left the residence,” Terrell said. “He didn’t see anything to indicate that there was a child in the house.”
After the buy, the SRT came back with a no-knock warrant to arrest the suspected dealer.
“The door was locked, so they breached it with a ram, inserted a device,” Terrell said. “It was dark, they couldn’t see.”
The SRT is taught to insert the “flash and bang” three to five inches inside the door. “Unfortunately there was a pack and play there,” Terrell said. “It does get hot. It uses gun powder to flash… it’s used as a distraction device,” Terrell said.
An SRT member took over the care of the child as soon as he realized what happened as the child started screaming and yelling, the sheriff said.
A whole side of the baby’s playpen was blown out, the boy’s mom said.
“The pillow where he lay was blown up, char marks all over his pillow and the mattress of the playpen itself,” Phonesavanh said.
The Phonesavanhs have been staying at their relative’s home for two months.
Authorities did not make any arrests, nor did they find anything at the house during the raid. The Phonesavanhs’s nephew, Wanis Thonetheva, 30, was arrested later that day and charged with knowingly and willfully distributing methamphetamine. Thonetheva is being held in Habersham County Detention Center. He has appeared before a judge, but the result of that appearance could not be immediately determined.
According to police, Thonetheva was arrested previously for assaulting an individual, but not convicted.
The nephew had been kicked out of the house and when he started coming and going, Phonesavanh said the family grew worried.
“We were trying to get out as soon as I knew what was going on,… we just wanted to get out,” Phonesavanh said. The family was planning on leaving the home the next morning.
“My son’s old playpen was right outside because we were getting ready to leave, we were going to throw it away… it was very, very visible,” Phonesavanh said.
“They can’t tell me there was no signs of kids,” Phonesavanh said. “My van sits right next to the door that they busted into. My van has family stickers on it, four car seats inside, right next to the door that they kicked in,” Phonesavanh said.
Terrell defended his officers.
“Based on the informant information, prior arrests, and weapons charge, they did everything given the information they had,” Terrell said. “Nobody in their right mind would ever dream of anything like this.”
“We would have picked a different door to go in the house, picked a different scenario on how we approach the residence,” Terrell said.
“Pray for the children, pray for the baby, pray for the family,” Terrell said. “It makes you do some soul-searching, and it makes you question, ‘Are you doing what you’re supposed to be doing?’”
“It’s hard, it’s difficult,” Terrell said.
“It’s going to make us double, triple, and quadruple check to know that there aren’t innocent parties in the house,” Terrell said. “It’s going to make us approach each situation differently.”

Bounkham, named after his father, or “Bou Bou” as his parents call him is at the Grady Memorial Hospital burn unit.
“My baby is nowhere near recovering,” Phonesavanh said.
The parents have yet to leave the hospital.
“By the way the process is going, the reconstructive cosmetic surgery he has to go through, I’m not seeing this ending any time soon,” Phonesavanh said.
“He doesn’t deserve any of this and there’s nothing I can do for him,” the mother said through tears. “I look at him lying in the bed, and I want to trade place with him, I don’t want him to go through this.”
The Phonesavanh family is without insurance and have set up a fund to pay for medical expenses. According to Terrell, the sheriff’s department has already contacted the hospital social worker to request that all hospital bills be forwarded to the county.
Fucking no knock raids, fucking idiot cops, fucking war on drugs, fucking swat wannabe fuckholes, fuck them all. I'd rather let every single drug dealer walk free than let these things keep piling up. I don't have anything really rational to add it just gets worse and I better refrain from typing more.

Also since there's no public health care due to bootstraps and shit, this family has had to start a fund to cover their medical expenses:
http://www.gofundme.com/9mih84

Fucking repugnant.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: Another victim of no-knock raids and police militarizati

Post by Highlord Laan »

In before Whitewash Brigade.

I love how every single justification for this bullshit is supposedly "safety" for the men allowed to wear Milspec body armor, storm the homes of citizens that supposedly have legal protection from shit like this with automatic weapons and halfassed training, and carte blanche to assault, abuse, manhandle and kill anyone in their way.

Never mind the safety of everyone else. Never mind double checking ones information before busting down doors and breaking heads.

And nothing will be done to fix it. Go bluewall, go. Murrica fuck yeah.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

According to Terrell, the sheriff’s department has already contacted the hospital social worker to request that all hospital bills be forwarded to the county.
At least they're admitting culpability.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Authorities did not make any arrests, nor did they find anything at the house during the raid.
Congratulations, fuckers. You just grenaded a baby to protect evidence that didn't fucking exist.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

To the credit of the police department, they are apparently remorseful and are paying for the damages.

Now the real litmus test would be if the people who screwed up get the punishment they deserve.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
His Divine Shadow

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

WOW, that is all kinds of charges that were supposed to file (but were not) here. The whole department deserves to get hanged by their toenails.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

It's alarming that all that was needed to secure a warrant was for a CI to do one buy from outside the home. There should be a higher standard to determine if the home itself is the source or if it's just an individual, like it appears to be so in this case.

One thing I'm curious about is what kind of pre-raid planning went into this. The CI went in Tuesday then the raid was conducted Wednesday morning. So, we're talking probably less than 24 hours from the time of the buy to the time of the raid. It was the CI that informed them of the presence of "guards". Was this verified by actual law enforcement because if not it should be. CI's aren't all good samaritans helping to keep their neighborhood safe. Many are just in it for the money.

Of course, legalizing drugs would fix this problem and make this raids unnecessary. However, that issue remains firmly in the field of the politicians.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Yeah, but would you really want to legalize method or heroin?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Block wrote:Yeah, but would you really want to legalize method or heroin?
The million dollar question is whether the damage from legalizing it would be worse than the damage from the war on drugs. Given the sheer number of non-violent offenders serving incredibly lengthy sentences for drug charges, I'm not sure that's an easy question to answer.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Given that some forms of hard drug, meth and heroin being two excellent examples, do have serious physiological consequences, I would say there is a certain justification for *not* legalizing specific drugs. 'Soft' drugs such as marijuana and some psychoactives, on the other hand, could be legalized, taxed, and would have minimal consequences comparable to what already happens with alcohol (driving-while-high, etc).

Of course a big part of the problem is *how* the war on drugs has been conducted. The prohibitive penalties for possession are just part of the problem...

I've seen this case as I currently live here in Georgia. It's making headlines lately. Hope the cops go up the creek for this.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:It's alarming that all that was needed to secure a warrant was for a CI to do one buy from outside the home. There should be a higher standard to determine if the home itself is the source or if it's just an individual, like it appears to be so in this case.
Are we sure that the CI even made the purchase outside the home ?
Or did the CI just claim that he did ?

Swatting is a thing. I would not be surprised if the CI got them to target that house due to a grudge he had against the family.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

bilateralrope wrote:Swatting is a thing. I would not be surprised if the CI got them to target that house due to a grudge he had against the family.
I would not be surprised if, grudge or no grudge, this child maiming by proxy blows up in his face, pun intended.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That depends on whether or not any evidence of drugs is/was actually found.

The raid was done wrongly regardless of whether the informant spoke the truth- but we have no way of knowing (yet) if the informant spoke falsely.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

bilateralrope wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:It's alarming that all that was needed to secure a warrant was for a CI to do one buy from outside the home. There should be a higher standard to determine if the home itself is the source or if it's just an individual, like it appears to be so in this case.
Are we sure that the CI even made the purchase outside the home ?
Or did the CI just claim that he did ?

Swatting is a thing. I would not be surprised if the CI got them to target that house due to a grudge he had against the family.
Regardless a judge still approved the warrant based off of one buy and the police still had less than 24 hours of surveillance on the target.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah. I don't think it matters much if the raid was approved or not - the police simply messed the raid up. Even if it had been 100% legal and they had found the american version of Pablo Escobar hiding in the basement, they still messed up the raid preparation.

Not directed at you KS, but I think people in this thread are discussing whether the raid was legal in the first place, but the main issue is that they simply messed up the execution.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

The approval of the raid matters in its own significant way. The other problem with the war on drugs is how easily these warrants are approved. The probable cause for approving a no knock warrant should be much more than "My CI bought drugs from the resident off this house. He did not enter the home. While outside he observed two people who looked scary and like they were standing guard!"

Agreed that the surveillance on the target should have been much more significant and the police are in the wrong for that. However, if the warrant wasn't approved in the first place, and in my opinion it should not have, we would not be here talking about it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Agreed, good point.
------------
------------
My LPs
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Thanas wrote:Yeah. I don't think it matters much if the raid was approved or not - the police simply messed the raid up.
True. I just had a bit of paranoia about how badly these raids were targeted and the question of 'How do the police know they can trust their CIs ?"

Even if this was a raid because the CI had a grudge, I doubt he would have expected it to go this badly.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I've always favored gun control, but now I want them to start with the police. At least take away the grenades for heaven's sake.
His Divine Shadow

I have been following this story closely and some happy news at least.

Recovering:
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local ... /11387173/

Actually going home!
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-n ... ves/ngXKd/

The 2nd article seems to say his nose was actually detached but looking at the pictures in the 1st link his facial injuries did not look that severe. I hope he'll have no serious scarring, but so far it looks good to me based on the pictures and how fast he's healing.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That's good to hear.
------------
------------
My LPs
His Divine Shadow

His Divine Shadow

Hey hey who is surpsied. Daily mail link but lots of other news sites report the same story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... jured.html

Fuckers wont pay.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

It is shocking because it's obviously the right thing to do. Though if there is a legal process that has to be followed in these situations then what choice does the county council have?