If Colin Powell ran for president, would you vote for him?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Would you vote for Collin Powell?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 31

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

If Colin Powell ran for president, would you vote for him?

Post by Shinova »

Well? Would you?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Nope, I don't vote for either of the major parties.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Depends on a lot of things. That'd be something that won't get decided if and until he decides to run. The Iraqi war aftermath will be prominent among that.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

No- he defended the practice of firing at people from helicopters when they ran in Vietnam- this is the administration's biggest dove.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Vympel wrote:No- he defended the practice of firing at people from helicopters when they ran in Vietnam- this is the administration's biggest dove.
Who were they shooting at and why? Because if you're shooting enemy soldiers then that just doesn't make sense.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Stormbringer wrote:
Vympel wrote:No- he defended the practice of firing at people from helicopters when they ran in Vietnam- this is the administration's biggest dove.
Who were they shooting at and why? Because if you're shooting enemy soldiers then that just doesn't make sense.
They shot at farmers in rice fields. For fun. Their philosophy was that if they ran, they were the enemy. If you've ever seen Stanley Kubric's Full Metal Jacket you'll know what I'm talking about.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Queeb Salaron wrote:They shot at farmers in rice fields. For fun. Their philosophy was that if they ran, they were the enemy. If you've ever seen Stanley Kubric's Full Metal Jacket you'll know what I'm talking about.
I can't say I support that at all.

And pardon me if I don't trust a fictional movie for my historical facts. :roll:
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Queeb Salaron wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
They shot at farmers in rice fields. For fun. Their philosophy was that if they ran, they were the enemy. If you've ever seen Stanley Kubric's Full Metal Jacket you'll know what I'm talking about.
I'd like to see something that says that was policy, and not some sadistic fucks behind a gun.
Using a movie as a reference source isn't an especially good idea, BTW.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Who's the alternative?
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Yogi wrote:Who's the alternative?
John McCain!! :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

He defended the practice that you see in FMJ (yes, it did happen) in one of his books. I heard it on internet radio.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

An American Journey, his memoirs:
Colin Powell wrote:If a helo spotted a peasant in black pajamas who looked remotely suspicious, a possible MAM [military age male] the pilot would circle and fire in front of him. If he moved, his movement was judged evidence of hostile intent, and the next burst was not in front, but at him. Brutal? Maybe so.
"The My Lai massacre. On March 16, 1968, US soldiers from the Americal Division slaughtered 347 civilians--primarily old men, women, children, and babies--in the Vietnamese village of My Lai 4 (pronounced, very appropriately, as "me lie"). The grunts also engaged in torture and rape of the villagers.

Around six months later, a soldier in the 11th Light Infantry Brigade--known among the men as "the Butcher's Brigade"--wrote a letter telling of widespread killing and torturing of Vietnamese civilians by entire units of the US military (he did not specifically refer to My Lai). The letter was sent to the general in charge of 'Nam and trickled down the chain of command to Major Colin Powell, a deputy assistant chief of staff at the Americal Division, who was charged with investigating the matter and formulating a response.

After a desultory check--which consisted mainly of investigating the soldier who wrote the letter, rather than his allegations--Powell reported that everything was hunkey-dory. There may be some "isolated incidents" by individual bad seeds, but there were no widespread atrocities. He wrote: "In direct refutation of this portrayal is the fact that relations between Americal soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent." The matter was closed.

To this day, we might not know about the carnage at My Lai if it hadn't been for another solider who later wisely sent a letter to his Congressman.
(Twenty-five years later Powell gave an interview in which he not only failed to condemn the massacre but seemed to excuse it.)"
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Vympel wrote:
Colin Powell wrote:If a helo spotted a peasant in black pajamas who looked remotely suspicious, a possible MAM [military age male] the pilot would circle and fire in front of him. If he moved, his movement was judged evidence of hostile intent, and the next burst was not in front, but at him. Brutal? Maybe so.
Well thats inhumanly stupid. Heaven forbid you run from a guy shooting at you. :roll:
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

A little perspective:
The Geneva Convention wrote:
Article Three of the Geneva Convention of 1949 to which the United States is a signatory, states that::

(1) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria. To this end the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:

(a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Give me Fred Thompson in 2008
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Queeb Salaron wrote: They shot at farmers in rice fields. For fun. Their philosophy was that if they ran, they were the enemy. If you've ever seen Stanley Kubric's Full Metal Jacket you'll know what I'm talking about.
"If they run, then they're VC. If they don't run, then they'll WELL trained VC."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

paladin wrote:
Queeb Salaron wrote: They shot at farmers in rice fields. For fun. Their philosophy was that if they ran, they were the enemy. If you've ever seen Stanley Kubric's Full Metal Jacket you'll know what I'm talking about.
"If they run, then they're VC. If they don't run, then they'll WELL trained VC."
no, it's well disciplined, with emphasis on disciplined :)

One of my favorite films you see.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!

President Rudolph Gulianni! that has a nice ring to it.......*sigh*....if only.....
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!

President Rudolph Gulianni! that has a nice ring to it.......*sigh*....if only.....
We forgot everybody's favorite Bostonian, Sen. John Kerry.

(BTW, Dem. Nat'l. Conv. to be held in B-town this year. I expect a mass field trips [kidding].)
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Queeb Salaron wrote:We forgot everybody's favorite Bostonian, Sen. John Kerry.
Hasn't he been implicated in Veitnam War atrocities?
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Mornin Storm, yea he was, being from Boston I put up with loser.. He first denied it then had the necessary Dem break into tears when caught..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

theski wrote:Mornin Storm, yea he was, being from Boston I put up with loser.. He first denied it then had the necessary Dem break into tears when caught..
Ah lovely. Why is he still in office? And this are the same people that harp on Colin Powell simply making apolgies for those people? Ah, smell the hypocrisy. :?
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

DEM=hypocrisy
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

theski wrote:DEM=hypocrisy
All the politcal parties have engaged in a certain amouunt of hypocristcal behaviour. But you are right that the Democrats seem to be engaging more and more in blatant hypocrisy.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Ah lovely. Why is he still in office? And this are the same people that harp on Colin Powell simply making apolgies for those people? Ah, smell the hypocrisy
This is the same state that keeps electing 'chap aquitted' Edward Kennedy year after year. :roll:
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant