General North Korea thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

General North Korea thread

Post by Thanas »

This thread, as has been requested by several posters, is supposed to be a general news thread for North Korea.

What goes in here:
- routine threats by North Korea to its neighbours/enemies and vice-versa
- North Korean sanction evasion and missile/weapons testing
- other general North Korea news

Actions that are extraordinary (like North Korea purging its leadership or sinking SK warships) deserve their own threads.

Mods will determine if a special action warrants its own thread. Do not bombard mods with PMs to either request such a thread or whine if they move your posts into/out of this thread. If this works out we might consider doing the same with other general areas.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: General North Korea thread

Post by Iroscato »

Kim Jong-Un commented on the execution of his uncle recently, I thought this is noteworthy. It really does seem like he's busy re-establishing his authority - at any cost.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25565645
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has spoken of the "elimination of factionalist filth" in his first public reference to the execution of his once-powerful uncle last month. In a new year message broadcast on state TV, he said "resolute action" had strengthened the country's unity. North Korea announced on 13 December it had executed Chang Song-thaek after convicting him of "acts of treachery". The move raised concerns of instability in the secretive nuclear-armed country.
North Korea's new year messages are closely scrutinised by South Korea and other regional powers for clues to Pyongyang's policy goals. Kim Jong-un said action to "eliminate factionalist filth" within the ruling Workers' Party had bolstered the country's unity "by 100 times".
'Warmongers'
"Our party's timely, accurate decision to purge the anti-party, anti-revolutionary elements helped greatly cement solidarity within our party," he said.
Mr Kim also accused South Korea and US of being "warmongers", working "frantically" to bring nuclear weapons to the peninsula.
An accidental conflict, he said, could trigger "an enormous nuclear catastrophe".
He called for the strengthening of North Korea's defence capabilities, adding that the country's dignity and the people's happiness depend on "the gun barrel". Mr Chang was married to the sister of late leader Kim Jong-il, and is believed to have mentored Kim Jong-un when he succeeded his father in 2011. Although seen as the second-most important figure in the country, he was dramatically removed from a special party session by armed guards and stripped of all his titles.
The state news agency KCNA later said he had admitted at a military trial to trying to overthrow the state, and had been executed immediately. Analysts said one theory for Mr Chang's downfall was that he was too keen an admirer of China's economic reform.
The 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty, leaving the peninsula technically in a state of war.
About 28,500 US troops are deployed in South Korea to help deter North Korean aggression.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

What did they do with Jang's body?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have no idea how true this is, because NK is quite a secretive state, but media are now reported that Kim executed his uncle by feeding him to starving dogs.

http://www.news.com.au/world/how-kim-jo ... 6794492233

AFTER North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un declared his uncle to be "despicable human scum, worse than a dog," details of his execution have emerged.
The details were disclosed in a report, where unlike previous executions of political prisoners which were carried out by firing squads with machine guns, Jang Song Thaek was stripped naked and thrown into a cage, along with his five closest aides, the Straits Times reports.
"Then 120 hounds, starved for three days, were allowed to prey on them until they were completely eaten up. This is called "quan jue", or execution by dogs."

The report also said the entire process lasted for an hour, with Jong-Un, watching it along with 300 senior officials.
The news of how his uncle was executed comes as South Korea dismissed North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un's conciliatory words in his New Year message as an empty gesture, urging Pyongyang to scrap its nuclear programs to show it is committed to better relations.

In his speech yesterday, Kim hailed the execution last month of his once-powerful uncle Jang Song-Thaek and accused the United States and South Korea of manoeuvring for a nuclear war.
JUST HOW FAR IS KIM JONG-UN PREPARED TO GO?
But he also called for a "favourable climate" to improve relations with the South, saying it was time for the two Koreas to stop doing "anything detrimental to national unity and reconciliation".

In its first official response, the South Korean government said it was sceptical about the intentions of Kim, who has ruled the nuclear-armed North since the death of his father, Kim Jong-Il, in December 2011.

"Peace and reconciliation cannot be achieved merely by words", Seoul said in a statement.
"In order to improve ties between the South and the North, North Korea must show sincerity in building trust and above all, it must make genuine efforts for denuclearisation".
It said Kim made similar comments in last year's New Year speech before a series of provocative actions from the North including a third nuclear test, threats of military attacks and the unilateral closure of an inter-Korean industrial zone.
Pyongyang shut down the complex at Kaesong in April during a spike in military tensions that followed the nuclear test but the two Koreas agreed in September to resume operations.
South Korean Defence Minister Kim Kwan-Jin on Thursday cautioned that the apparent peace overtures from the North could be a "smoke screen" aimed at hiding a provocative act, urging the military to remain alert.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

NBC:
Hong Kong-based pro-Beijing newspaper Wen Wei Po reported that Jang and his five closest aides were set upon by 120 hunting hounds which had been starved for five days. The report could not be independently confirmed by NBC News on Friday...

The newspaper has acted as a mouthpiece for China's Communist Party. The report may be a sign of the struggle between those in the party who want to remain engaged with North Korea and those who would like to distance themselves from Kim's regime.
So apparently the original source is a Chinese newspaper, and NBC speculates that it may not be true and just propaganda by anti-NK Chinese officials.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Allegedly China-friendly General executed - chinese newspaper breaks story about babarric method of execution. I'd order a truckload of salt with that...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I think you are going to need the Great Salt Lake, the Bonneville Salt Flats and the Redmond salt mine for that a truck full isn't going to be enough.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Is it bad that my first thought was "they could find 120 dogs still left uneaten in North Korea?"

I suppose they could import some if they felt it was necessary. I'm not sure 3 days would be enough to whip them up to attacking and eating people, though.

I'm probably overthinking it. I, too, take this with large grain of salt unless independently confirmed. It wouldn't surprise me that the North Koreans did this, but there's enough legitimate icky stuff there we do need to add to it by rumor.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:I suppose they could import some if they felt it was necessary. I'm not sure 3 days would be enough to whip them up to attacking and eating people, though.
They may have been attack dogs to begin with, if the story has any truth.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Do they use dogs to help patrol those prison camps of theirs? I've heard of human guards, guns, electrified fences, don't recall hearing about dogs off hand.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Broomstick wrote:Do they use dogs to help patrol those prison camps of theirs? I've heard of human guards, guns, electrified fences, don't recall hearing about dogs off hand.
Quite possibly, other then using dogs as weapons to kill/intimidate prisoners or for sadistic entertainment, they are good at sniffing out detecting any attempts at tunnelling. I haven't got any evidence to say they do use them but I wouldn't rule it out, Japan occupied North Korea and they used German Shepard's for their camps, so they might had picked up the practise somewhere along the line.

It is rumor (and that's all we got, because NK is very good at controlling secrets since it is such a control freak, so much so it controls everyone's preferred topic on this forum!!!)

Anyway, the only way this rumour could had materialised is by possibly from associates from Kim's deceased uncle (those still alive), and if that's true then it be evidence that there is a greater division within ranks then previously thought. Either way the 'official' or rumor about the execution is an account of how Kim is dealing with dissent, just that the 'official' version makes him look to have a control and decisive handling over the matter, whilst the rumour says he is a savage brat using extreme violence to bring people into line.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Korgeta wrote: the only way this rumour could had materialised is by possibly from associates from Kim's deceased uncle (those still alive),
One opinion piece about why this rumor is probably not true included these reasons:
First and foremost, consider the source. The story originated in a Hong Kong newspaper called Wen Wei Po, which makes the claim without citing a source. Also, a recent study found that, out of Hong Kong's 21 newspapers, Wen Wei Po ranks 19th for credibility.

Second, consider that the rest of the Chinese media have not touched this story in the almost-month since it came out. The remainder of the Chinese media have been sticking to the same story that everyone else has: that Jang was killed by either machine gun or anti-aircraft guns.

Third, South Korea's media also have not touched the story. "This story has hardly been picked up on by Korean media which is one reason to be suspicious," Chad O'Carroll, who edits the news site NKNews.org, said via email.

"The other reason to be suspicious is because the rumour surfaced ages ago — but no one paid attention to it." South Korean media are quite plugged in to North Korean defector communities, to sources still in the country and most especially to South Korea's intelligence agency. Some of those outlets can be eager to pick up stories or rumours that portray North Korea in a negative light. But South Korea's many news outlets, big and small, seem to be treating this story as implausible.
I'd think that if the rumor was being intentionally spread by the uncle's associates, it would have a lot more traction. Not be a story reported by one of Hong Kong's least reputable newspapers then ignored by both South Korean and Chinese media.

On a side note, why would North Korea be using anti-aircraft guns for an execution ?
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I suppose they could be referring to 20 mm machine guns that are often used as anti-aircraft guns. I don't see why they'd need to use machine guns as a one shot rifle would be more then enough.

But who knows. Sometimes there is no kill like overkill.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

bilateralrope wrote:On a side note, why would North Korea be using anti-aircraft guns for an execution ?
From the papers I read it says it was machine gun fire, not anti aircraft, but if it was then the only reason why is that it drums up the fear of someone, sure they'll be riddled by bullets by a machine gun, but what if you were strapped to the barrel of an anti aircraft gun? It's an extreme action that prompts terror and signals just what kim lengths kim will go to on someone who steps out of line. It's not why would North korea would do that, but why would Kim do that. An execution isn't about the North, it's about Kim sending a message.
First and foremost, consider the source. The story originated in a Hong Kong newspaper called Wen Wei Po, which makes the claim without citing a source. Also, a recent study found that, out of Hong Kong's 21 newspapers, Wen Wei Po ranks 19th for credibility.
The new York Times has a blog and interestingly makes a few comments.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0 ... -dog/?_r=0
The death-by-dog story got more traction online starting Dec. 24, when a commentary published in The Straits Times, based in Singapore, said the fact that Wen Wei Po ran such a lurid article was a sign of the Chinese Communist Party’s “displeasure” at North Korea. It called Wen Wei Po the party’s “official mouthpiece” in Hong Kong.
If Wen Wei Po does rank 19th out of 21 it's possibly because it's connections with Chinese state media, as well as other things. As for the south not reporting it, the media has a history of being careful what to print in relation to the North, they even banned a James bond film (die another day) There not the reasons but they arguments as to why the south may choose to stay shy of the story. the two dislike each other but I don't think any paper in the south wants to produce a poetional provocative article to the north that is unproven and be blamed for the 'results' that may follow.

Though with no direct evidence it will remain a rumour but personally I wouldn't rule it out.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but wouldn't a hundred and twenty starving attack dogs being set on five guys lead to the dogs tripping over one another and likely tearing into each other as much as the prisoners?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Korgeta wrote:If Wen Wei Po does rank 19th out of 21 it's possibly because it's connections with Chinese state media, as well as other things. As for the south not reporting it, the media has a history of being careful what to print in relation to the North, they even banned a James bond film (die another day) There not the reasons but they arguments as to why the south may choose to stay shy of the story. the two dislike each other but I don't think any paper in the south wants to produce a poetional provocative article to the north that is unproven and be blamed for the 'results' that may follow.
Does the Chinese media have a history of being careful with what they print in regards to North Korea ?
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Ralin wrote:Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but wouldn't a hundred and twenty starving attack dogs being set on five guys lead to the dogs tripping over one another and likely tearing into each other as much as the prisoners?
Even if they did unleash all 120 dogs at once, enough (like even 10-20?) would get through to the prisoners.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

From the NY times link posted above
Though Wen Wei Po has taken editorial stands that favor party policy, it is not an official mouthpiece of Beijing. And some scholars in Hong Kong have criticized what they call the newspaper’s low editorial standards. (It is true, however, that analysts have been saying for months that China, North Korea’s patron, is unhappy with Mr. Kim for ignoring its entreaties to stop its nuclear weapons and missile tests.)
So the original Chinese source isn't even a party mouthpiece. Further on it seems other sources in China are reporting the standard, ie Jang was machine gunned down (is machine gunned even a word? :D ). I wonder if Wen Wei Po is the HK equivalent to the Daily Mail?
It is worth noting that feeding people to animals, an ancient Roman specialty in the day, is not at all normal in North Korea. In literature from ancient Korea, there are references of bodies of traitors, not live humans, being denied an immediate burial and exposing them to dogs and other animals.
So it seems in old days Koreans might have fed the corpses of people they don't like to dogs as a mark of disrespect, but no reference to feeding live people. That might be where some person who was lapsed with the truth might have got this idea from.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ralin wrote:Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but wouldn't a hundred and twenty starving attack dogs being set on five guys lead to the dogs tripping over one another and likely tearing into each other as much as the prisoners?
6 guys
Jang Song Thaek was stripped naked and thrown into a cage, along with his five closest aides, the Straits Times reports.
That's still 20 dogs per person, so it seems like a problem unless some of the dogs wait for the others to have had their fill.

Have any of you tried searching for information on "quan jue" online ?
Wikipedia produces two articles relating to Falun Gong (Quan Jue is a person who taught its founder). Google returns pages related to Jang Song Thaek's execution or, when I try to filter them out, pages on Falun Gong.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

bilateralrope wrote:
Korgeta wrote:If Wen Wei Po does rank 19th out of 21 it's possibly because it's connections with Chinese state media, as well as other things. As for the south not reporting it, the media has a history of being careful what to print in relation to the North, they even banned a James bond film (die another day) There not the reasons but they arguments as to why the south may choose to stay shy of the story. the two dislike each other but I don't think any paper in the south wants to produce a poetional provocative article to the north that is unproven and be blamed for the 'results' that may follow.
Does the Chinese media have a history of being careful with what they print in regards to North Korea ?
I honestly can't say, the state media is perhaps careful for the same reasons as the south korea has with the north because all state media is generally the voice of the communist party, but in relation to Wen's popularity in HK the only thing I can question is the reliability of a survey, I do have a friend living there (working with CNNi) and to sum up basic social issues between HK and China is that HK sees China as Draconian and condensending (ie: China rescued them) whilst mainland China sees HK as problematic because of open criticism towards government and unappreciative. It's not a reflection of the entire population but there is division and I wouldn't rule out Wen Wei Po is 19th because it's a loosely owned by Mainland China just in the same way that 'The Sun' is barely sold in Liverpool because even though it's cheaper and has a great puzzle section, it's rarely bought because it's seen as a loose mouthpiece of conservatives and also wrote a set of lies blaming the fans for Hillsborough (which is another subject altogether)
Depends, if it was open terrain then it just be kim's version of fox hunting just you have 120 dogs chasing and tearing six naked men.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

bilateralrope wrote:On a side note, why would North Korea be using anti-aircraft guns for an execution ?
Didn't they use a mortar for one execution? Maybe Kim makes them spin on the Wheel of Punishment to decide their fate.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

There are a couple of soviet/Russian AA guns that are essentially machinecannons coupled together. They would work very well as oversized machine guns.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Grumman wrote:
Didn't they use a mortar for one execution? Maybe Kim makes them spin on the Wheel of Punishment to decide their fate.
I don't want to give an one-liner answer, but "Because they can" does seem to fit here.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Throughout history political executions have often been less about a specific way of rendering someone dead and more about putting on a show or making a point.

Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

You would think Kim being younger and having western education (sort of) I would not wish any of the Korean troops (or anyone else) to be anywhere near these (you don't even need to be near them)