Credibility of Al-Jazeera

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Kelly Antilles wrote:I'm all for going back to monarchies
Are you serious or is it a sarcasm.
I can see the result of bringing back monarchy,hunting is forbidden all deer belong to the fuc-King :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Montcalm wrote:Are you serious or is it a sarcasm.
I can see the result of bringing back monarchy,hunting is forbidden all deer belong to the fuc-King :?
Yes and no. I'm all for getting back to where everyone isn't so damn material. Materialism is what makes this world so... ugly.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Haven't been following this threat too much as I don't watch Al-Jazeera, but I found this link today:

MSNBC on Al-Jazeera

which was an interesting read. It seems (according to this article) that the majority of the flack Al-Jazeera gets is from giving airtime to "the other side", wether that's Iraq or Osama.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Kelly Antilles wrote: Yes and no. I'm all for getting back to where everyone isn't so damn material. Materialism is what makes this world so... ugly.
I see anti-materialistic religious extremists as far more of a problem than materialists.

Materialism is an extremely rational belief system. Materialists don't try to make martyrs of themselves in order to go to a "heaven" with no objective evidence for its existence. Materialists require much more tangible reasons to put lives at risk.

Or are you just equating "materialism" with "greed".
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Ted C wrote: Or are you just equating "materialism" with "greed".
Hm, possible. What I hate is the fact that you have to have money for everything. Money is required to live from day to day. There are so many "things" one must "have" in order to live "comfortably".
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Kelly Antilles wrote: Hm, possible. What I hate is the fact that you have to have money for everything. Money is required to live from day to day. There are so many "things" one must "have" in order to live "comfortably".
Money is simply a way of measuring value. Without it, you'd be bartering with labor, livestock, or manufactured goods.

Society is not content to simply let you live off them; they want you to DO something to earn your keep. Money is the evidence of your contribution.

What you "must" have to live comfortably is up to you. I live comfortably without cable TV, broadband internet, or a BMW.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"