WAR: Eurasia vs. America

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Who would win, and how?

A-Coalition defends it's territory, conquers Eurasia
36%
A-Coalition defends it's territory, cannot conquer Eurasia
17%
B-Coalition defends it's territory, conquers America
6%
B-Coalition defends it's territory, cannot conquer America
17%
A and B Coalitions battle a long time and stop with no or little result for both
25%

Total votes: 36

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:

[rumor]Tip from the US to Taiwan: Blow up the SanXia Dam, and let the Yangtze flood Southern China.[/rumor]
Nice war crime there. 8)
And marching into Northern China via Korea isn't very hard, MacArthur almost did it once. Whats left in Coalition B would be crushed from both sides.
Are you insane? This isn't the Korean War. This is 2003. The People's Army will annihilate any force that comes that way. Land war against China is unwinnable- as for 'crushing in between two sides', the A team will be utterly incapable of taking Europe- they simply don't have the numbers to do it. The war in the West 44-45 was won with far superior numbers which no longer applies, as well as iffy intead of total air superiority.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Vympel wrote:
And marching into Northern China via Korea isn't very hard, MacArthur almost did it once. Whats left in Coalition B would be crushed from both sides.
Are you insane? This isn't the Korean War. This is 2003. The People's Army will annihilate any force that comes that way. Land war against China is unwinnable
Scratch yet another fantasy from the Textbook Wank :D
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Vympel
S-300PMU about 100km out.
120 km, to be more precise.
Strategic attacks will be a major effort of large numbers of aircraft and will take big losses, not a turkey shoot
Of course. Even the minimal AA defence can take down a few planes, as Iraq demostrated.
I would agree that the standard of Russian training is currently much lower than that of the West, however, the Russians aren't doing all the work
Right. I mean Russians are currently working very hard to improve the training.
they're all very proud when they're blowing up a dinky little third world countries puny numbers of SA-3 and SA-6 launchers
Yeah. It's not the very same as fighting against modern AA platforms. They get planes even until they are able to get close to their targets. In war trainings I've seen them demonstrate a 120 km hit (although the drone training planes and real pilots are not the same, it's all same for missiles).
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Not war material: war personnel. Machines are useless without people, you know. Try to pass through the AFP network. You will have the same bloody mess as USSR vs. Finland, except this time you will be in minority on the enemy ground.
What kind of point are you trying to make with the movement of troops?

As for the “AFP network?” I guarantee you that we’d find large gaps. You couldn’t man that sort of position effectively. It’s a huge waste of troops.
Air is secured. Land is secured. Kick from the sea? A few km. Then you'll have trouble.
This doesn’t make sense. Explain.
You suck. They are inferior to the latest Abrams. Don't say you could deploy them faster than we move a few thousand and crush Spain and Italy.
The T-72 and T-64 are worthless compared to the Abrams. At best you’ll put some ERA atop a handful and avoid one-shot kills. The T-80 and T-90 are good, yes, but our tanks are equally as potent.
Prove it. I never served the USA army, but I don't think it's much differend from Europe's and Russia's training. The Iraqis are not a worthy example.
You can compare American training only with that of Britain and possibly Australia. Russia’s army is still full of conscripts. They lack the cash to do any seriously decent basic. The same is true of Germany. France’s is the only truly worthwhile force you’ve got in terms of professionalism.
Bullshit. We can reinforce immediately on the continent, not you. We are the continental powers. Why you keep insisting on the absurd statement?
It’s a short walk across the Channel. Plus we’ve got carrier groups that can shuttle Marines into Portugal and Spain at will. It takes time to cross the European continent and break through the Spanish defenses. We’ll get there in time to prop up at least half the country and probably more.
Are you familiar with the very concepts of Blietzkrieg.
You’re not going to be able to properly Blitz Spain. Not before we reinforce them. There’s a build-up before the attack. For both sides.
Bullshit. Just shut up. If you never served the Russian forces and think no one will notice the lie, you are mistaken. They are not rusting away, but upgraded and expanded.
Upgraded? Yes. Expanded? No. Russia’s forces don’t hold a candle to those of the United States in terms of training or professionalism. You’re the only one to make that argument here. Are the Russians better than the Iraqis? By far. But do American troops, by and large, get more time in the air, more time with their vehicles, and more intensive training? Yes.
Tried in Iraq. It's not the very best, and it will be availabale in less numbers since it's hard to deploy fast overseas.
Not as difficult as you think. We’ll first throw in Challenger Is and IIs. The Abrams will follow. The best tank in the world would be the L2A6. And even then, it comes down the to crews when you talk about an M1A2 going up against it.
Hell, I don't think so.
Against what? The Dorchester armor gives it protection on par with that of the L2A6.
We have this one, too.
Yes. I’m glad you’ve noticed.
Kicked.
By the LeClerc or a T-72? Not necessarily.
Sorry, never heard of these... What exactly are they?
Tanks roughly on par with the T-72. They can win against those sorts of threats and probably provide a decent sort of threat to the T-series as well given their gun mounts.
The time of the rot is past. Like Stas Bush said, every arm of the military is getting upgraded- Army, Navy (especially Navy) and Air Force. They are more formidable now than they were in the 1990s.
They still don’t compare to US or British troops.
Puny upgraded tanks- no match for the LeClerc or the Leopard 2, the latter of which Germany has in the thousands.
But for the T-72? Yes.
The Leopard 1 is obsolete- I don't see it as being a large factor- and the Ariete is just a joke Italian design.
The Ariete will probably be able to hold its own. It’s not a terrible design. The Leopard 1 is also useful for light armored units fighting T-72s and other early Leopards.
Why not enough? For a crush-kill-destroy battle, no. For holding defence - yes, if the strateges won't suck.
They’ll be overwhelmed by missile or air attack. The French haven’t the kind of battle group cover of American fleets. We can also put more planes into the air by far.

The Russians will be harder to sink, but submarines could probably do the trick combined with some fancy aerial distractions.
Did you ever consider that the Challenger is inferior to what the B (Germany, France, Russia) has? And that B can deliver forces faster than you can blink?/quote]

The Challenger II is superior to every tank you’ve mentioned except perhaps the L2A6. But it won’t matter since all of these tanks are more or less equal anyway when it comes to fighting one another.
They will be shot down. It's not so hard to shoot down a stealth from modern Russian AA platform.
You’d have to hope you get them into place in time.

In all, I agree with Vympel. No side is going to be able to win.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Vympel wrote:
The Dark wrote:Despite the American B-2 and F-117 capability to strike at night with virtual impunity destroying vital nodes of supply and communications
Against modern air defense instead of over-the-hill 1960s SAMs? Not as clear.
I wasn't aware the proper radar units had been developed to allow locks on the stealth units.
Despite the ability to carry SLAMs and HARMs to eliminate armored vehicles and radar sites.
Land attack missiles and anti-radar missiles are hardly the sole preserve of America. Russia's HARMskis are better. And you don't use SLAMs on tanks.
Meant to fix that. Was going to put command structures. Just plain Mavericks would be sufficient against most tanks, or the A-10's GAU-8A Avenger autocannon.
Yes, American armored forces would take time to reach Spain. However, I highly doubt Russia could cross all of Europe quicker, and the Leos and LeClercs are unlikely to punch through on their own, given the terrain that will need to be crossed.
This scenario is just plain ill-defined. In any military conflict, there would be a build up period. If the Russians aren't ready, America won't be either.
True. It would be France and Germany against Spain and Britain, leaving roughly equal numbers to fight until the behemoths get moving. The terrain would favor whoever's defending the Spain/France border.
So can we, that is of little strategic importance. Read the sub debate in the Skimmer vs. Me thread and the Sd. net comment on subs.
For commercial warfare, sure, they're not much use here.
Considering each Ohio-class can carry 98 Tomahawk cruise missiles, I'd say they could raise some merry hell with the B Coalition.
There's only four of them- is this scenario future tense, or what? Because it seems as everyone's doing an awful lot of cherry-picking.[/quote]Currently four, but the refit's fairly quick; from what I've heard it's mainly fitting a sleeve into the missile tube and adding a new program to the computers. Even four could be a problem, though. AA defenses might be able to eliminate them (probably could, in sufficient density), but I'm curious as to how well the Tomahawk would do as an anti-shipping weapon. It's a total speculation, I'm not suggesting it would be an efficient tactic, I'm just wondering if anyone's heard anything about such capability.
Because Fortress Europe showed how well static defenses could hold in WWII :roll: . The age of static defense is over.
Who says?
OK, so it's just a theory based on the fact that static defenses couldn't stop Normandy.
Speed and mobility are the defense of the present,
Again, who says? That's what everyone said after the German blitzkrieg, yet that stopped once they reached *serious* opposition in Russia.<snip>[/quote]Because they fought to the wrong objectives, worrying about the capture of the symbolic but unimportant Stalingrad rather than continuing and capturing Moscow and potentially Stalin himself.

I think the biggest weakness for the B Coalition will be in air support. A Coalition CAGs could cause problems for the attackers, with EA-6B to jam radars and allow Hornets and modified Bombcats to slip in and eliminate positions. Phoenix has an 80%+ accuracy rate when all six missiles are fired simultaneously at six targets, allowing a handful of F-14s to protect against an air strike on a CAG. 'Hogs would be devastating against armored columns without very heavy SAM and AAA support. The MiG-29 has not shown outstanding combat capabilities. The Mirage is not equal to its equivalent in A Coalition service, the Falcon. The Eurofighter is a good aircraft, but I don't believe it's available in large quantities (not sure on this).

Anyway, I have a meeting in 15 minutes, so I'll leave this here. This is a rather intereting discussion, though I think in the end we're going to have to both look for hard numbers and agree to disagree on some things.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Dark wrote:
Vympel wrote:
The Dark wrote:Despite the American B-2 and F-117 capability to strike at night with virtual impunity destroying vital nodes of supply and communications
Against modern air defense instead of over-the-hill 1960s SAMs? Not as clear.
I wasn't aware the proper radar units had been developed to allow locks on the stealth units.
You can get a track on it, but that's about it. Accurate fire-control is still not possible.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Dark
Uh, I wonder did that stealth guy in Yugoslavia land at will? :lol:
The terrain would favor whoever's defending the Spain/France border.
Wide attack possible for the French-German. Wide defence... by Spain? Unlikely. Watch the wide front collapse as they can't defend it with their puny (sorry) military.
The British will have to make a descent, and that, as we already figured out, is a tough thing.
AA defenses might be able to eliminate them (probably could, in sufficient density
Strategic objects of the CIS are defended well enough for the case. Europe, presumably, too, I haven't been to a strategic military location there.
OK, so it's just a theory based on the fact that static defenses couldn't stop Normandy.
Bocage? Couldn't stop? Oh... I see. Overwhelming static defences with blood has good examples: Mannerheim line (is the spelling correct?) and Normandy. The attackers succeeded. At a huge cost.
rather than continuing and capturing Moscow and potentially Stalin himself.
What. The. Hell? Capture Stalin in Moscow? You obviously do not understand the Soviet command had a plan if defeated at Moscow. The Ural was far enough, the Germans would never cross it. Behind the Urals was all the industry evacuated, and Stalin would be evacuated there for sure. The USSR was nearly unconquerable due to it's size and the Urals.
though I think in the end we're going to have to both look for hard numbers and agree to disagree on some things.
Yeah... I think it's "no one wins". But I don't agree that B. sucks with air. I'll get some of the facties soon.
You couldn’t man that sort of position effectively. It’s a huge waste of troops.
We have LOTS more human resource than you.
This doesn’t make sense. Explain.
You won't be able to get domination on ground and in the air (already concluded), so even if your ships start a long-range bombardment, it could be only a missile one. We already discussed the usefulness of missiles is hugely limited over B. territory. Or you have battlecruisers which can walk over ground... Wait... It's the AT-AT! :lol:
The T-80 and T-90 are good, yes, but our tanks are equally as potent.
We also have French Leclerc and German Leo Zwei. Deadly mix. You're screwed on land. You will have to deliver tanks by sea. We will kick into action 2-3 times faster.
They lack the cash to do any seriously decent basic.
They are improving it. And they have spetznaz Alpha :twisted:
It’s a short walk across the Channel.
For us, too. Didn't we conclude your descent will be screwed?
Plus we’ve got carrier groups that can shuttle Marines into Portugal and Spain at will.
It will take time. Carriers are ships, not ultra-sound planes.
It takes time to cross the European continent and break through the Spanish defenses.
Days.
We’ll get there in time to prop up at least half the country and probably more.
Oh yes. We'll meet you with flowers at the seaport.
You’re not going to be able to properly Blitz Spain. Not before we reinforce them. There’s a build-up before the attack. For both sides.
Build-up? If we have build-up, you're even more screwed.
Russia’s forces don’t hold a candle to those of the United States in terms of training or professionalism.
Do you know "expanded" means "made bigger"?
The best tank in the world would be the L2A6.
Start war production of the L2A6. Deploy. Kick ass. It's simple. What you have? Start upgrade+production of Abrams. Deliver through the sea.. Get possibly even attacked by a sub (it's shitty, but NVTHLS). Get to seaport. Deploy troops and AFVs in a matter of hours... Sorry, we out-run, out-gun, out-maneuver you.
The Dorchester armor gives it protection on par with that of the L2A6.
Good armor, but not sufficient to hold for long. Can it outmaneuver the A6? Can it kick A6 from afar? Uh, don't think so.
By the LeClerc or a T-72? Not necessarily.
LeClerc sure kicks. T-72... we have many :D
Tanks roughly on par with the T-72.
And roughly on the number? And are they in position or still waiting thhe transport?
The Challenger II is superior to every tank you’ve mentioned except perhaps the L2A6.
The Challenger II? WTF? The T-90 or T-80 will make short job of it.
You’d have to hope you get them into place in time.
We will. As I said, it's your problem - sea transport, unload, deployment and so on. We don't bother with such things.
In all, I agree with Vympel. No side is going to be able to win.
So do I. Agreed?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Wide attack possible for the French-German. Wide defence... by Spain? Unlikely. Watch the wide front collapse as they can't defend it with their puny (sorry) military. The British will have to make a descent, and that, as we already figured out, is a tough thing.
The British and Americans will forward-deploy within a week’s time. There’s no way Coalition B is going to be able to crack the Spanish that quickly. Especially if they’ve also got to deal with the Italians.
Overwhelming static defences with blood has good examples: Mannerheim line (is the spelling correct?) and Normandy. The attackers succeeded. At a huge cost.
Sitting in a concrete bunker is bad for one’s health in this day and age. See: Baghdad, Bombardment of. Will the static defenses slow us up and cost a few hundred men? Probably. Will they provide you with a robust shield against penetration? No.
We have LOTS more human resource than you.
Only in terms of China – which isn’t really going to play a huge role. Hell, if you’ve got China, we’ve got India. It’s about even right there. Especially because the United States is larger than Russia again by one hundred million people. Italy, Spain, and Britain together are on par with – if not larger than – Germany and France.
We also have French Leclerc and German Leo Zwei. Deadly mix. You're screwed on land. You will have to deliver tanks by sea. We will kick into action 2-3 times faster.
Not necessarily. You forget he strategic worth of Portugal.
They are improving it.
And so are we and the British.

Spetznatz Alpha, GSG9, the Royal Dutch Commando, the French Foreign Legion, French Parachute units, the Fallschirmjager, and GIGN vs. Delta Force, the Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, Gurkhas, Special Air Service, Special Boat Service, Parachute Service, Mountain & Arctic Weather Cadre, the Folgore Brigade, the Spanish Foreign Legion, and the GEO. And GSG9, GIGN, and the GEO are counter-terrorists. The field is about even – if not stacked against Coalition B. Not that it would matter much.
For us, too. Didn't we conclude your descent will be screwed?
We can hold the Channel. Your navy can’t be made all that much larger. Portugal can be turned into a major fortress as well.
It will take time. Carriers are ships, not ultra-sound planes.
They are also the most heavily-defended items in our arsenal, surrounded by dozens of combat vessels and AEGIS cruisers.
Days.
I doubt it. See Iraq.
Build-up? If we have build-up, you're even more screwed.
Forgetting America?
Do you know "expanded" means "made bigger"?
Russia’s army is today smaller than it was in 1990 despite the obvious addition of some new formations. Or did you conveniently forget that the Soviet Union no longer exists?
Start war production of the L2A6. Deploy. Kick ass. It's simple. What you have? Start upgrade+production of Abrams. Deliver through the sea.. Get possibly even attacked by a sub (it's shitty, but NVTHLS). Get to seaport. Deploy troops and AFVs in a matter of hours... Sorry, we out-run, out-gun, out-maneuver you.
You’ve got to get all your equipment through Europe – under bombardment. We can deploy fairly quickly with units specially-designed to go into early-action.
Good armor, but not sufficient to hold for long. Can it outmaneuver the A6? Can it kick A6 from afar? Uh, don't think so.
Indeed it can. The tanks are on par. British crews are likely better, too.
The Challenger II? WTF? The T-90 or T-80 will make short job of it.
I seriously doubt that.
We will. As I said, it's your problem - sea transport, unload, deployment and so on. We don't bother with such things.
Movement on the roads. Hello?
So do I. Agreed?
Of course.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Axis Kast
Well, I agree that the combatants have roughly equal power. The only thing is we still deploy faster :!:
The British and Americans will forward-deploy within a week’s time.
Possibly. If nothing stops you at sea and the transport go at full speed and load-unload in seconds.
There’s no way Coalition B is going to be able to crack the Spanish that quickly.
Yes, but we will begin. If you lose the mountains and a gew seaports, you are doomed inevitably, I think.
Especially if they’ve also got to deal with the Italians.
Italians? They can wait a bit while we secure the Spanish situation.
Sitting in a concrete bunker is bad for one’s health in this day and age.
Yeah, I means exactly that. Saddam is dead, precise bombardment... Then they say: "Oh, shit, we missed again!". Not-so-dangerous :D
Will the static defenses slow us up and cost a few hundred men? Probably.
Exactly what they need to do. Slow. The speed is in fact, a factor. You admit. If you slow down just a bit, you're screwed. And that's where defences kick in.
You forget he strategic worth of Portugal.
Might be, it will prove worth defending.
The field is about even – if not stacked against Coalition B. Not that it would matter much.
Agreed.
We can hold the Channel. Your navy can’t be made all that much larger. Portugal can be turned into a major fortress as well.
WTF? I spoke of invasion: not of fleet supremacy.
They are also the most heavily-defended items in our arsenal, surrounded by dozens of combat vessels and AEGIS cruisers.
A week they arrive, and have to land troops in hell.
I doubt it. See Iraq.
Concepts of Blietz? Mass deployments and huge battles? Where? It's more like "strange war" or "wargame".
Forgetting America?
No, not like it. Blood will be spilled, but Spain can't hold for long even with reinforcements. You will get exhausted, and the Blietz will seem to fail: only seem to. While you wait for reinf. overseas, we have them gathered in matter of hours. See a difference? I do.
Or did you conveniently forget that the Soviet Union no longer exists?
Nop, I don't forget. It's expanded from the state it was a few years ago.
You’ve got to get all your equipment through Europe – under bombardment.
Another bullshit! It's not Germany 1944. It's AA secured Europe. What the bombardment is? You'll cope with a matter of hours? Don't think so.
Movement on the roads. Hello?
Roads? Not by them AFVs on themselves, I think. Transported by designated armoured trains.

Assalti Frontali
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Possibly. If nothing stops you at sea and the transport go at full speed and load-unload in seconds.
Within a week we can have a small force of Marines – with light armored vehicles – on the ground in Spain. The British and Australians will immediately follow suit.
Yes, but we will begin. If you lose the mountains and a few seaports, you are doomed inevitably, I think.
On what grounds? You’re not going to be able to use any of those seaports effectively or reliably given the threat of Coalition A’s air and naval power. Portugal will hold out. From thence will we launch a major strike.
Italians? They can wait a bit while we secure the Spanish situation.
It’s still fighting on two fronts. And the Italians will be tough nuts to crack given the ease with which we can transfer American assets to the Mediterranean.
Yeah, I means exactly that. Saddam is dead, precise bombardment... Then they say: "Oh, shit, we missed again!".
You really think a soldier on the beach with a few missiles and machine guns is going to survive a full bombardment?
Exactly what they need to do. Slow. The speed is in fact, a factor. You admit. If you slow down just a bit, you're screwed. And that's where defences kick in.
We’re going to be slowed either way. So? Those “fixed defenses” aren’t going to be too useful. We’ll be moving rather quickly anyway. You can’t put up whole lines of defenders without severely compromising your own safety in the process. We’ll destroy you while you’re still entrenching.
WTF? I spoke of invasion: not of fleet supremacy.
In this case, you need supremacy to launch an invasion given the type of combat vessels you possess.
A week they arrive, and have to land troops in hell.
In Portugal? I think not.
Concepts of Blietz? Mass deployments and huge battles? Where? It's more like "strange war" or "wargame".
We are blitzing. And still, it’s taking some time.
No, not like it. Blood will be spilled, but Spain can't hold for long even with reinforcements. You will get exhausted, and the Blietz will seem to fail: only seem to. While you wait for reinf. overseas, we have them gathered in matter of hours. See a difference? I do.
A “matter of hours?” Try days. Spain can hold out for a few weeks without reinforcement. But there will be reinforcement. In the form of both American and Royal Marines.
Nop, I don't forget. It's expanded from the state it was a few years ago.
But you’ve still nowhere near the army.
Another bullshit! It's not Germany 1944. It's AA secured Europe. What the bombardment is? You'll cope with a matter of hours? Don't think so.
We’ll hit you despite the danger.
Roads? Not by them AFVs on themselves, I think. Transported by designated armoured trains.
Which can be derailed rather easily …

This argument is stupid. Neither of us is going to budge. Let's just forget it.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Stas Bush wrote:Grand Moff Yenchin
the people of the A-coalition might scream to halt the war if they get a whiff of such an invasion to happen
We can give them up to a year or even some more for recovery.
Japan, Indo-China, Latin-America, South America, Africa
Who's a serious thing from these? Japan?
Hey! Watch it!
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

The British and Americans will forward-deploy within a week’s time. There’s no way Coalition B is going to be able to crack the Spanish that quickly. Especially if they’ve also got to deal with the Italians.
Hitler once said that the Spanish 'were the only Latins who could fight'. or words to that effect.

The Italians?
That's another story....
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Bartman
Youngling

Post by Bartman »

Stas Bush wrote: Good point, although it's really unknown. You know, Japan was the supreme naval power of the world by the time of 1941. But the US defeated it so utterly...
I realize this has already been partially debunked but...

Code: Select all

Completed Tonnage in 1941, Excluding some Ships Obsolete from Age (in thousands of tons) 		
               US   GB Japan France Italy

Capital Ships  534  443  357  177  164
Carriers       135  161  178   22    0
Cruisers       329  471  299  150  119
Destroyers     237  268  154  114  101
Submarines     117   55  107   61   84
Totals        1352 1398 1095  524	468
At the begining on '41 the US had a measure advantage in almost every catagory. And if you include incomplete builds it gets vastly worse for the Japanese. I don't think that Japn can be refered to as the "supreme naval power of the world" by any stretch of the imagination.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

How will European powers cross the Pyraneese defended by the Spanish????? the passes are chokepoints as are any railway tunnels
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Typhonis 1 wrote:How will European powers cross the Pyraneese defended by the Spanish????? the passes are chokepoints as are any railway tunnels
That's a question our imperialistic russian has yet to answer. I've been there many times, from one side to the other. The mountain chains are titanic. The attacking forces will pay a heavy price to pass to the other side.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Glocksman wrote:The Italians?
That's another story....
Have fun trying to take Italy, considering how mountainous it is.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stas Bush wrote:
The Russian transport fleet can supply on the order of 5000-7000 tonnesper day
Have you heard of the Grazhdanskaya Transportnaya Aviatsya? It's all for the war, ready and loaded. In fact, I think ships and planes could supply such numbers only if the sea is secure, so I'm not optimistic at all. Securing the sea will be a tough job.
You're still ignoring me. It's loaded for stuff, yes, but I don't see how it's going to supply the neccessary material for a multidivision advance across England, Wales and Scotland. Securing the sea is impossible, for that matter, against the A-Coalition fleet.
The JMSDF is the second most powerful navy in the Pacific, next to the USN. It is also very modern.
We won't be battling it until we have secured Europe.
So the PLA(N) is going to sit in port for the entire war? The Russian Pacific Fleet is going to do nothing? The situation is even worse than it is Europe for the B Coalition in terms of invading.
Invasion is impossible
Straight away - yes. I don't think it's possible to handle so many invasions at once. We'll have to kick Spain and, possibly, Italy, then try to get done with Britain (the most dangerous platzdarms are they).
Invasion of the UK or Japan is impossible, period, by the B-Coalition.
If the war lasts a few years the US Navy is probably big enough to handle anything you attempt to throw at us.
BTW, big is not all there is. Conspiracy and precision also mean a lot.
Indeed, but the US Navy and Royal Navy are very precise and very well trained.
Train or truck is inefficient for moving truly large amounts of cargo; ships work better.
Don't try to bullshit me. We have a train from Moscow reach enemy borders faster than any ship. Or have cargo ships aquired the ability to fly over the continent more than hundred km per hour? That's exactly why reinforcements for you are a problem.
Trains and trucks have speed but they don't have bulk, which is how a lot of the world's material (civilian or military) is moved. This isn't the 1940s; Europe's economy demands the use of the sea.
all sorts of things that are useful to hit.
Missiles are a weapon of both sides. In fact, Russia has superior missiles, so if we will suffer from bombardment, you will have the same.
NOTE: Missile bombardment was ineffective in WWII. Although missiles are now more advanced, so are the defences and masking systems.
That's because missile bombardment was conducted by what is essentially an early version of SCUD. It's no wonder it was so useless. And yes, your Kh-101 is superior to TLAM or CALCM, but we have more.
They can't even do that.
Why not, secure a 50 mile long way?
What, you're going to send your fleet to hug a coastline?
You aren't getting anywhere near 22 tanks a day from a factory.
Maybe not - because it's not wartime.
Wartime production rates for WW2-era tanks and modern tanks are not an acceptable comparison! The complexity of modern tanks is so much greater it'll take so much longer to make them!
Two French CVs and one Russian CV isn't enough
Why not enough? For a crush-kill-destroy battle, no. For holding defence - yes, if the strateges won't suck.
For holding defense they can get swamped by the enemy naval power as well.
We'll actually need German and French mines, so Russia will not go on it's own.
Yes, you can send of the German and French fleet, neither of which will matter much in major combat.
Ignorant twit
with no dick

Post by Ignorant twit »

Hi, random troller who finally decided to get off his ass and get an account. Poking the newbie will result in a severe beating.

I got a good laugh out of this thread. A few things I found to be highly comical:

The Eurasian thrust throught Pyrenees. One word:
Landmines

Cheap, piss easy to manfacture, and royal pain in the ass to clear when the enemy is taking potshots at the poor saps doing the clearing.

The other fun thought I kept hearing was C-B could move huge amounts of troops across the cotinent by land:

Trucks suck ass for moving equipment, and rail is a weakness. Can we say sabotage? Can we say sabotaging the petrol lines? Can we say suitcases of cash and Semtex?

Invasion of the UK :lol: :

In the end C-B is going to have nothing for naval projection. Even keeping a supply line to the UK open is going to be hard as hell for any landing force that actually makes it to the beeches (through the inevitable minefeild). Let's say they did manage to get beachhead? How long before the USN and RN go in and choke the supply route?

In the end it comes down to this:
The US is pretty damn close to immune to whatever C-B throws at them. C-B while numerically superior is strategically more vunerable. If this goes total war (everything short of nukes) C-B's population is ultimately vunerable. They vast majority of the population can be gassed, the grain can be burnt in the feild. After a few decades C-B is going to be royally screwed by falling relative productivity and falling relative population.

Long, long term C-A wins after killing off a significant portion of C-B. Thus ends the most costly and stupidest war in history.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Grid-fire Poke!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

By His Word...
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Bartman
Actually not the total number of warships is all we need: the types of warships are also important. Japan had more AC than US, that should compensate for some lack of battleships.
In any case, the US overall fleet was superior to Japanese, I admit it.
Axis Kast
Within a week we can have a small force of Marines – with light armored vehicles – on the ground in Spain.
That is not enough to stop the invasion, which will be receiving supplies in hours. I don't really think you will manage to cut supply lines at all, and certainly not in a few days. So while you will have a small force with large AFVs, we will be there in full power.
On what grounds? You’re not going to be able to use any of those seaports effectively or reliably given the threat of Coalition A’s air and naval power.
I was not talking about us launching invasion. I was talking about supply lines. We can cut Spain's supplies fast, and after that no reinforcements will be available.
And the Italians will be tough nuts to crack given the ease with which we can transfer American assets to the Mediterranean.
Should I repeat once more: ease is NOT speed, numbers will be puny.
You really think a soldier on the beach with a few missiles and machine guns is going to survive a full bombardment?
A soldier will not, but no point in bombarding him: and a strategic point will survive that quite easily.
Those “fixed defenses” aren’t going to be too useful.
Why not? Terrain with static defences favors the defender, especially if troops and AFVs are deployed.
You can’t put up whole lines of defenders without severely compromising your own safety in the process.
You suggest we can't manage our human resources?
We’ll destroy you while you’re still entrenching.
Huh... We'll be entrenched a whole week until your invasion begins (if it ever does: I don't think your strateges are so foolish).
In this case, you need supremacy to launch an invasion given the type of combat vessels you possess.
Of course. That's why invasion of Britain, Japan, US remains nearly impossible.'
In Portugal? I think not.
Well, if you insist, we can capture this one, too.
We are blitzing. And still, it’s taking some time.
It's taking time, obviously. But I don't see you take Iraquis in bags or something like that.
A “matter of hours?” Try days.
France and Germany reinforce in fact, in a matter of hours. Russia will take a few days.
Spain can hold out for a few weeks without reinforcement.
I wonder, can they secure the whole border with their 240.000?
In the form of both American and Royal Marines.
The time of their arrival will be shortly before Spain falls, I think. All they could show: "they can die with honour".
But you’ve still nowhere near the army.
We're not alone. We have the CIS.
We’ll hit you despite the danger.
Let me explain: you will have your planes down until they reach any vital or somewhat important points. You will possibly perform bombardment in hell conditions, suffering enormous loss from AA defences. Do I make myself clear? Bombardment of strategic locations is impossible for you.
Which can be derailed rather easily…
Not in time. And they are also repaired with ease.
phongn
but I don't see how it's going to supply the neccessary material for a multidivision advance across England, Wales and Scotland.
We have to secure the supply line and establish a position with our first strike.
Securing the sea is impossible, for that matter, against the A-Coalition fleet.
Securing the sea is possible, because fleet takes time to gather.
So the PLA(N) is going to sit in port for the entire war? The Russian Pacific Fleet is going to do nothing? The situation is even worse than it is Europe for the B Coalition in terms of invading.
You know Japan has no agression tendencies. We can deploy the fleet for raider attacks of WWII, but we won't be asking for a major sea battle, you know we will lose that.
Invasion of the UK or Japan is impossible, period, by the B-Coalition.
I agree that it is so. At least we'll need to deploy some all-new attack tricks to invade, otherwise we are screwed by the Fleet.
Indeed, but the US Navy and Royal Navy are very precise and very well trained.
I mean, keeping some fleet operation in secret can give it a chance of success.
Trains and trucks have speed but they don't have bulk
I think in this case you lose: the road net in Europe an Russia will allow to move very huge resources in little time.
Europe's economy demands the use of the sea.
More than needed, troop deployment can be achieved using ground and air. But you, of course, will have to move through the sea.
On the continent we are the supreme power. Nothing can stop us (except for some freakish accident), just like we can't invade anyone by sea.
What, you're going to send your fleet to hug a coastline?
Descent needs fleet support. Speed is crucial in this case: we will have to make the fastest over-seas transport line ever.
Wartime production rates for WW2-era tanks and modern tanks are not an acceptable comparison!
Of course they are more advanced. But industry is also more powerful. And the industrial capabilities of B are no less than yours, and we don't have them weapons to be transported... Can you see my point?
For holding defense they can get swamped by the enemy naval power as well.
Yes. This is one unsolvable problem, I think. Yet they can hold for the time needed to gather the Fleet.
Yes, you can send of the German and French fleet, neither of which will matter much in major combat.
We will have to avoid major combat by all means. "Weapons of the weak against the strong" we will have to use.
Ignorant twit
The Eurasian thrust throught Pyrenees. One word: Landmines
Don't help much, war proved. You have them planted on all the wide front?
Trucks suck ass for moving equipment, and rail is a weakness.
Trucks don't suck, they go. Rail is a weakness? Uh, I suppose you will be glad to know it was extensively used as a major war supply line in the past and will be used in the future. It's fast and capable of moving lots.
Can we say sabotage?
It's uneffective. War-proven. Have sabotaged the whole rail networks of the B? Go chew some berries.
Can we say sabotaging the petrol lines?
Another silly thing. Who could do that? Who will do that? Oh, you think you will do that in a second, but we'll take weeks to repair. Exactly the opposite is true. You may not be able to sabotage anything at all, but even if you do, the emergency repairs take a few hours (or, if it's really serious, more than a day).
(through the inevitable minefeild)
Haven't we got examples of mines ineffective? Normandy, perhaps? (yes, I know Allies suffered huge loss: but it was 80% due to AFVs). In fact, mines are overwhelmed by the B ground capabilities.
How long before the USN and RN go in and choke the supply route?
They will need a few days to come: a few to plan: in fact, this time we can adapt to changes, avoiding sea battle at any cost.
Long, long term C-A wins after killing off a significant portion of C-B.
Another "killing significant". Do you know the attackers of B are not superior in numbers? Do you know they are not superior on ground, nor does ground favor them? At least 2:1 for the A:B must be there for the A to succeed. The B is superior on it's own ground by all means. A will get screwed if it tries to invade. And A can never ultimately win. In fact, it will suffer huge losses (attackers suffer more loss than defenders anyway, and this time ALL favors the defenders), and it's already numerically inferior.

The result will be, I think: two-polar world as with USSR & USA. Eurasia will be occupied by the B, but the A will hold America and the isles (Japan, Britain). Both sides will sign some sort of agreement and the two-polar world will last until one or both Coalitions break apart or a third power rises.

Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I think everything that's been discussed has been, so I'll just pick out this:
The T-72 and T-64 are worthless compared to the Abrams. At best you’ll put some ERA atop a handful and avoid one-shot kills. The T-80 and T-90 are good, yes, but our tanks are equally as potent.
The Soviet-standard T-72A and especially the T-72B is a far different beast from the T-72M (export version of the original T-72) and the T-72M1 (export version of the T-72M1). Their fire control, armor protection, and ammunition is superior quality to say, the utter crap the US fought in Iraq. Tank for tank, they are no match, but the preponderance of numbers will grind the small numbers of M1s and Challengers into the dust (see: Germany WW2- which is even worse because they'll be on the defensive rather than offensive). There's only some 8,000 of them. The T-64B (most numerous version) is superior, technologically, to the T-72B, and Ukraine has an upgraded version designated T-64U. Also, the Russians have developed various relatively minor fire control upgrades that could be used to dramatically increase combat effectivness (thermal imagers, new ballistic computers) of the older models- see www.shipunov.com. Both the T-72B and T-64B retain the ability to fire the Svir (AT-11 SNIPER-A) and Kobra (AT-8 SONGSTER) 4km ATGM.

As all parties have agreed (minor nitpicks about tactics and such aside), I will lock this thread.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/