Russian missles take out 2 American Battle Tanks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Vympel wrote:
Ted wrote:I heard that MBT's have shit protection in the back, that a 14.5mm HMG can penetrate and take out the engine, true?
Hmmm ... not sure. I doubt it.
It was a few years ago that I saw that show.

It also said that the turret ring could be penetrated and set off the ammo inside.

It may be possible, but you gotta be an insanely good shot.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ted wrote:
Vympel wrote:
Ted wrote:I heard that MBT's have shit protection in the back, that a 14.5mm HMG can penetrate and take out the engine, true?
Hmmm ... not sure. I doubt it.
It was a few years ago that I saw that show.

It also said that the turret ring could be penetrated and set off the ammo inside.

It may be possible, but you gotta be an insanely good shot.
The M1 was designed with all round RPG-7 protection as I recall. However unlike many tanks, the M1 series has the hull totally built out of RHA steel, which gives it a lot more protection on the flanks and rear.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Vympel wrote: Unless burning embers ignite a round the loader may be holding.
IIRC loaders are prohibited from doing that precisely because of the danger of accidental detonation.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Axis Kast wrote:I always thought that an idea from James Bond was cool. A sort of mini-CIWS in the form of a high-powered automatic shotgun. Not that I'm sure this is feasible given speeds involved. Anyone?
I'm sure the infantry support would love it.

Anyway, it wouldn't work. The weapons would be inaccurate and too slow to respond.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Rubberanvil wrote:
IIRC loaders are prohibited from doing that precisely because of the danger of accidental detonation.
Not that it helps any if the loader had just grabbed the round to load it...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Beowulf wrote: Not that it helps any if the loader had just grabbed the round to load it...
True, but the tank have to be hit right when that happens.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Beowulf wrote:
Rubberanvil wrote:
Not that it helps any if the loader had just grabbed the round to load it...
Even firing as quickly as possibul, there would only be a round exposed half the time at most. , But given the lack of massed armor targets its unlikely tanks are firing at anything like maximum.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Does anyone know why the Cadillac Gage Stingray wasn't put into production? Given that tanks can't really survive modern AT weapons, and that it's only 1/3 of the weight of an Abrams with a 105mm gun, it would seem to be a good, inexpensive, light-weight tank.

BTW, I saw a Scimitar (or Scorpion, couldn't see the barrel length) on the news the other day. I didn't realize they were still in use...guess I need to check more updated information :D .
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

The Cadillac Gage isn't necessary when one has the M1A1 series tank. It's an expensive novely tank that serves for use only in isolated theaters where encounters with larger tanks are unusual. If you want a light combat vehicle, the Bradley is more than enough.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Axis Kast wrote:The Cadillac Gage isn't necessary when one has the M1A1 series tank. It's an expensive novely tank that serves for use only in isolated theaters where encounters with larger tanks are unusual. If you want a light combat vehicle, the Bradley is more than enough.
A Bradley has a 25mm chain gun; Stingray has the NATO standard 105mm cannon. The two are not intended for the same situation. And out of curiosity, just how expensive is this exported tank, compared to the $3 million Abrams (or $9.12 million for each M1 being refitted to M1A2 status?). To quote Philip Trewhitt, author of Armored Fighting Vehicles, "the Stingray has performance and power at a much lower unit cost when compared to a main battle tank"
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Dark wrote:
Axis Kast wrote:The Cadillac Gage isn't necessary when one has the M1A1 series tank. It's an expensive novely tank that serves for use only in isolated theaters where encounters with larger tanks are unusual. If you want a light combat vehicle, the Bradley is more than enough.
A Bradley has a 25mm chain gun; Stingray has the NATO standard 105mm cannon. The two are not intended for the same situation.
And out of curiosity, just how expensive is this exported tank, compared to the $3 million Abrams (or $9.12 million for each M1 being refitted to M1A2 status?). To quote Philip Trewhitt, author of Armored Fighting Vehicles, "the Stingray has performance and power at a much lower unit cost when compared to a main battle tank"
The US was going to procure the XM8 Buford Armored Gun System, but it got cancelled last minute- from the looks of it it's a superior light tank to the Stingray. Light tanks would be quite useful to provide the paratroopers with some intergral armor support. This is why the Russian paratroops have their BMD airborne IFVs, BTR-D airborne APCs, 2S9 airborne turreted SP mortars (replaced the previous ASU-57 and ASU-85 airborne assault guns), and are now getting 2S25 Sprut-SD light tanks (125mm main gun- 18 ton weight).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

The Stingray might be useful, but that doesn't mean it'll replace the M1A2 Abrams. We don't use it precisely because we don't see the need for a new light tank given the Bradley and its ability to mount ATGMs.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Axis Kast wrote:The Stingray might be useful, but that doesn't mean it'll replace the M1A2 Abrams. We don't use it precisely because we don't see the need for a new light tank given the Bradley and its ability to mount ATGMs.
Like The Dark said, the Bradley is by no means a light tank- it's puny main weapon is incapable of delivering direct fire, shock action (unlike the XM8 Buford), and it's way too heavy to fulfill the role of light tank that can help the paratroopers out. It also wastes a lot of internal space with troops. It's ATGMs, while giving it respectable anti-tank ability, can't substitute for a 105mm main gun firing HEF and canister rounds.

The US Army is however acquiring the Stryker MGS (Mobile Gun System), which is just the new Stryker hull (8x8 APC) with a 105mm gun. So they definitely see the need for it- unfortunately the paras won't be getting it and the Stryker is too heavy/large to efficiently airlift anyway.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

If all this is true, why don't we employ the Stingray?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Axis Kast wrote:If all this is true, why don't we employ the Stingray?
No idea- same reason why they don't employ the XM8 Buford- which was fully ready for production when it was cancelled oh ... a few years ago? Procurement politics. The US Army wanted Stryker for their new, easier to move 'medium brigades'. They also aren't hot on giving paratroopers their own armor, even though both the German Fallschirmjager (Wiesel series) and Russian VDV have it.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Vympel wrote:
Axis Kast wrote:If all this is true, why don't we employ the Stingray?
No idea- same reason why they don't employ the XM8 Buford- which was fully ready for production when it was cancelled oh ... a few years ago? Procurement politics. The US Army wanted Stryker for their new, easier to move 'medium brigades'. They also aren't hot on giving paratroopers their own armor, even though both the German Fallschirmjager (Wiesel series) and Russian VDV have it.
I was about to protest that the Wiesel only has a 20mm cannon with 20 rounds of ammunition, but I found a section discussing the 210 Wiesels with wire-guided missiles. I do wish I knew how the US is supposed to be able to rapidly deploy units; the Hercules, Galaxy and Globemaster can only carry so much...I'm not even so worried about giving paratroopers armor (though it is a good idea) as I am about the fact that any buildup requires months.
BattleTech for SilCore
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah- the Wiesels are quite dinky in comparison to the well-developed BMD series and all it's modifications, but still, it's better than nothing.
Sebastin
Padawan Learner

Post by Sebastin »

The Wiesels are a really cool concept in my opinion but they shouldn´t be compared to light tanks, they´re a different concept. Incidentialy the german designation is Waffenträger which means weapons carrier and they are the direct replacement of tha KraKa which was essentially a heavy ATV.

Add to this that there is a 120mm mortar Wiesel, a Wiesel based light air defence system and prototypes of Wiesel troop carrier(6 men), command, recon and ambulance vehicles and that CH53 or CH47 each can transport 2 combat ready Wiesels internaly you have a very interesting asset for airborne troops.