Universial Application of Principles Currently In Use

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Universial Application of Principles Currently In Use

Post by Yogi »

Well, it seems like the "Official" reasons that we are in the war (and that this war is good is that).

1) Saddam is an asshole to his own people.
2) Saddam is may have Weapons of Mass Destruction AND he is willing to use them or give them to people who will use them in an irresponsible way.
3) We can get rid of him without too much casualties on our side. (Let's face it, this war is more of a curbstomp than Pre-crisis Justice League vs. The Punisher.)

Now, I would like to propose a question. What happens if (let's pretend, this won't really happen) we applied the same uniform principle to EVERY other country out there in the blue ball called Earth. What do you think the results might be?
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

u.s. imperium. if we win, of course.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Minor edit to above. We had no proof at that time that Saddam had WMDs, but he hadn't proved that he DIDN'T and was intefering with efforts. This changes condition 2 slightly.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

World War 3.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

yeah, thats pretty likely too.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

This is why I'm not too crazy about the Bush Doctrine (and I do support the war). The preemption of Iraq will likely be an isolated, unique event, however.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Vympel wrote:World War 3.
Probably. THe US is damned if they do, damned if they don't. And of course they apply a ridiculous double standard as well. :roll:
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

makes ya wonder what will happen if hes reelected.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Enforcer Talen wrote:makes ya wonder what will happen if hes reelected.
Honestly, I don't think it will escalate beyond North Korea, if that.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Let's be blunt: Even when we see and agree that this war will have good outcomes, Bush won't be going elsewhere. He wanted to avenge his daddy, and it won't go further. Next, Enlightenment will appear to tell us the puppetmasters and conspiracy rulers are all preparing the next strike...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

SirNitram wrote:Let's be blunt: Even when we see and agree that this war will have good outcomes, Bush won't be going elsewhere. He wanted to avenge his daddy, and it won't go further. Next, Enlightenment will appear to tell us the puppetmasters and conspiracy rulers are all preparing the next strike...
there were of course several reasons beyond avenging daddy. . .
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

I already said that Bush wouldn't go furthur. This is "What if?"

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Yogi wrote:I already said that Bush wouldn't go furthur. This is "What if?"
Vympel got it right. WW3 for the simple reason we'd get nailed for the American Empire. Of course we get blamed every time third world wackos want to hack each other with machete now.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

So, is the only reason America should refrain from thrashing every tinpot dictator in the world because the world community will disaprove? I'm speaking morally, of course, since this war is a very moral war.

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Yogi wrote:So, is the only reason America should refrain from thrashing every tinpot dictator in the world because the world community will disaprove? I'm speaking morally, of course, since this war is a very moral war.
lol, Ive no idea why, but thats the funniest thing Ive seen all day.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Yogi wrote:So, is the only reason America should refrain from thrashing every tinpot dictator in the world because the world community will disaprove? I'm speaking morally, of course, since this war is a very moral war.
For the fact that we don't have the manpower and the world community would saw us off at the knees.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Stormbringer wrote:For the fact that we don't have the manpower and the world community would saw us off at the knees.
I'm not sure that you are quite getting the point of this thread. I am debating the moral implications of doing so. Since it is morally correct to do this to Iraq, then it must also be morally right to do this to all applicable countries.

Right?

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Yogi wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:For the fact that we don't have the manpower and the world community would saw us off at the knees.
I'm not sure that you are quite getting the point of this thread. I am debating the moral implications of doing so. Since it is morally correct to do this to Iraq, then it must also be morally right to do this to all applicable countries.

Right?
Sounds Kantian.

Not exactly, for that matter. Iraq is something of a unique case.

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

So what makes Iraq unique from a moral standpoint? When attacking anti-war people, I've only seen the two arguments in post one being made (plus a third "US is cleaning up what it created" made by Mr. Wong that hasn't really caught on.) What other factors are there?

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Yogi wrote:So what makes Iraq unique from a moral standpoint? When attacking anti-war people, I've only seen the two arguments in post one being made (plus a third "US is cleaning up what it created" made by Mr. Wong that hasn't really caught on.) What other factors are there?
That's pretty much it.

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

On a related note, whle The Punisher may look cool in a comic book, would you want someone like him running around in real life? Why or why not?

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Yogi wrote:So what makes Iraq unique from a moral standpoint? When attacking anti-war people, I've only seen the two arguments in post one being made (plus a third "US is cleaning up what it created" made by Mr. Wong that hasn't really caught on.) What other factors are there?
I've actually taken up the "We're cleaning up our own mess" argument. It's fairly compelling, and it always throws leftists for a bit of a loop because it takes one of their common arguments ("We supported Hussien against Iran!") and turns it right on its head.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Iraq is sort of symbolic, also, I suppose, given that it's been a source of trouble for us for the past decade. It's not like we just pulled some country randomly and decided to attack; it's Iraq, we have history there. It's been the millstone 'round our necks for years.

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Does this trouble in the past translate into some sort of moral imperative? Remember, the pro-war people on this board are stating that it is morally right to go to war with Iraq so I'm trying to find out why, are those reasons good enough, and are there any unforseen consequences.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

M.A.D.

They would be obliged to attack the People's republic of China, who are extremely shitty to their people and actually have weapons of mass destruction with range to hit the USA.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth