U.S. Ambassador Cellucci's tough words for Canada

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

U.S. Ambassador Cellucci's tough words for Canada

Post by Next of Kin »

Interesting words that has Canadian Big Business a little worried.
U.S. ambassador rebukes Ottawa for lack of support

TORONTO - Some tough words for the Canadian government from U.S. Ambassador Paul Cellucci: he blasted the Liberal government for its failure to back the United States' war in Iraq.

Cellucci made his statement during a breakfast speech with Toronto's Bay Street business crowd. "There is disappointment in Washington," he said, "that Canada is not supporting us fully."
Cellucci says there is a long relationship between Canada and the U.S., but at the same time there could be some short-term strains as a result of Canada's position.

The ambassador said if there were ever a real threat to Canadian security the U.S, would be there to help. "There is no security threat to Canada that the United States would not be ready, willing and able to help with. There would be no debate, there would be no hesitation. We would be there for Canada — part of our family," he said.

"And that is why so many in the United States are so disappointed and upset that Canada is not fully supporting us now," he said.

Cellucci took aim at recent remarks by Liberal MPs including a comment about President George W. Bush made last week by Natural Resources Minister Herb Dhaliwal, who said Bush had "let not only Americans, but the world down by not being a statesman."

Cellucci says it's ironic that Ottawa won't do much to control that kind of comment, even though the federal government was critical of the letter he received from Alberta Premier Ralph Klein praising the United States.

"When Mr. Klein issues strong support for the United States, the Canadian government comes down hard on him. When Mr. Dhaliwal makes totally inappropriate remarks about the president of the U.S., they kind of ignore it."

During question period the opposition parties did not ignore Cellucci's comments.

"When will this government do the right thing and back our American friends and allies, because frankly sir, you are embarrassing us," said Canadian Alliance Leader Stephen Harper.

Prime Minister Jean Chrétien looked annoyed when he rose to answer the question. He said the remarks made by his MPs "show to the people of the world that Canada is an independent country."

Canada is engaged in the so-called "war against terrorism" alongside the United States. Canadian warships are on patrol in the Gulf region.

"The Canadian naval vessels will provide more support to this war in Iraq than most of the 46 countries that are fully supporting our effort there," said Cellucci.

The NDP said that comment proves the government should withdraw those Canadian ships and their crews to show that Canada truly does not support the U.S.-led military action against Iraq.
[/quote]
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Is the Bush administration trying to piss off the entire world? Fucking hell.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Economic warfare on the grounds that one country's leadership isn't afraid to call another country's president what he is: agree with us or else.

Cue the Imperial march.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

First time I hear "Four more years", someone's getting painted with vomit. :evil:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Four more years four more years!!! oops (looks around sheepishly) :oops: Sorry thought it was 1984 Reagan Reagan..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Frank Hipper wrote:First time I hear "Four more years", someone's getting painted with vomit. :evil:
Unfortunately we probably do have four more years of this shit to look forward to.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

*groan*

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Well since Shrubby want to bring back political assassination i think it can go both ways. 8) :lol:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

After eight years of Bush, I pity the poor son of a bitch that has to pick up the pieces.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, are we getting a 51st state soon?

I just did this to save the trouble of one of the other crazy Americans saying it. Now they can't. Hopefully. Preemptive flamebait. :)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Stormbringer wrote:
Frank Hipper wrote:First time I hear "Four more years", someone's getting painted with vomit. :evil:
Unfortunately we probably do have four more years of this shit to look forward to.
*looks at the shotgun mothers fiance shot himself in the face with, reaches for it, slaps hand away*
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

RogueIce wrote:So, are we getting a 51st state soon?

I just did this to save the trouble of one of the other crazy Americans saying it. Now they can't. Hopefully. Preemptive flamebait. :)
give me time. Im forming the framework now.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Enforcer Talen wrote:give me time. Im forming the framework now.
Ah, how soon? They've been getting awful cocky up there...
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I'll begin publicly sometime after the iraq war. most optimistic is that it will take 2 yrs, but 4-5 is more likely. I'll update you when I start.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Enforcer Talen wrote:I'll begin publicly sometime after the iraq war. most optimistic is that it will take 2 yrs, but 4-5 is more likely. I'll update you when I start.
Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Just one thing...NO COUNTDOWN CLOCK ON MSNBC! Please! :D

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

heh, my countdowns are guesses, so Im not going to put them up.

I will however, tell my plots on sdnet. it will be interesting.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW