Uprising in Basra

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

RogueIce
_______

Uprising in Basra

Post by RogueIce »

According to FOX News, there's an uprising in Basra by the Shia. No links yet, though I'm sure someone will have them.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: Uprising in Basra

Post by phongn »

RogueIce wrote:According to FOX News, there's an uprising in Basra by the Shia. No links yet, though I'm sure someone will have them.
BBC and FNC/Sky News are reporting.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

RogueIce wrote:According to FOX News, there's an uprising in Basra by the Shia. No links yet, though I'm sure someone will have them.
According to the Commander there, it is a Small uprising against Saddams troops in the city, and the British Troops are moving to support it. Hopefully it will spread and the troops will be able to mobilise properly to make it effective.

It needs to be said that even if the uprising is successful, there may still be cells of Saddam Supporters hidden in the city afterwars, don't think that there might not still be isolated incidents of fighting in the city.

It is good news though.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rob Wilson wrote:According to the Commander there, it is a Small uprising against Saddams troops in the city, and the British Troops are moving to support it. Hopefully it will spread and the troops will be able to mobilise properly to make it effective.

It needs to be said that even if the uprising is successful, there may still be cells of Saddam Supporters hidden in the city afterwars, don't think that there might not still be isolated incidents of fighting in the city.

It is good news though.
Of course. But it does go against some people's claims that none of the Iraqis want us there. There may be more uprisings, as one analyst put it, "word gets around and the people realize we're here for real this time" or words to that effect.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Rob Wilson wrote:
According to the Commander there, it is a Small uprising against Saddams troops in the city, and the British Troops are moving to support it. Hopefully it will spread and the troops will be able to mobilise properly to make it effective.

It is good news though.
The threat of guerilla action is always a concern not matter how well one thinks they control a city. However if an uprising occurs, it easies the strain of allied troops of hunting down irregulars because the local populace acts like the worlds best intellegence source.

I think its excellent news. Yay us and yay for the British! :wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

RogueIce wrote:Of course. But it does go against some people's claims that none of the Iraqis want us there. There may be more uprisings, as one analyst put it, "word gets around and the people realize we're here for real this time" or words to that effect.
No one ever said that none of the Iraqis didn't want you there.

Just the majority that dont want you there.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

So Ted you have the pulse of the Iraqi people?? :roll:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

And I just made a new thread about it. Didn't see this thread.

Good news, anyhow.
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Anyone besides Sky/Fox reporting this?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

RedImperator wrote:Anyone besides Sky/Fox reporting this?
phongn wrote:BBC and FNC/Sky News are reporting.
Yep. :D :D