Right Wing Propaganda?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Right Wing Propaganda?

Post by Sam Or I »

I know the first thing lost in the war is the truth. I am wondering what you all think about this story, it was reported on Fox News and I found an article on News Max, both conserative outlet. Heres the link and the story:

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover. ... 3/24/95147

Reality Stuns 'Human Shield': 'Saddam Was a Monster'

Some of the appeasement activists who went to Iraq as "human shields" got shocked into common sense when reality dashed their passivist fantasies.

Arnaud de Borchgrave, UPI's Editor at Large and a member of NewsMax's board of directors, wrote Friday from Jordan:

A group of American anti-war demonstrators who came to Iraq with Japanese human shield volunteers made it across the border today with 14 hours of uncensored video, all shot without Iraqi government minders present.

Kenneth Joseph, a young American pastor with the Assyrian Church of the East, told UPI the trip "had shocked me back to reality."

Some of the Iraqis he interviewed on camera "told me they would commit suicide if American bombing didn't start. They were willing to see their homes demolished to gain their freedom from Saddam's bloody tyranny. They convinced me that Saddam was a monster the likes of which the world had not seen since Stalin and Hitler. He and his sons are sick sadists.

"Their tales of slow torture and killing made me ill, such as people put in a huge shredder for plastic products, feet first so they could hear their screams as bodies got chewed up from foot to head."
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Right Wing Propaganda?

Post by Rob Wilson »

Sam Or I wrote:I know the first thing lost in the war is the truth. I am wondering what you all think about this story, it was reported on Fox News and I found an article on News Max, both conserative outlet. Heres the link and the story:

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover. ... 3/24/95147

"Their tales of slow torture and killing made me ill, such as people put in a huge shredder for plastic products, feet first so they could hear their screams as bodies got chewed up from foot to head."
Have any news agencies played anything from the tapes? It would be interesting if they have, but the timing is slightly suspiscious, it turning up when public opinion is waning in view of casualties. :wink:
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Re: Right Wing Propaganda?

Post by Montcalm »

Rob Wilson wrote:Have any news agencies played anything from the tapes? It would be interesting if they have, but the timing is slightly suspiscious, it turning up when public opinion is waning in view of casualties. :wink:
[Sarcastic mode on]Why would they show these tapes when the anti-war propaganda is much better.[Sarcastic mode off] :evil:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

This has been on the wires and various other newspapers for a few days at least, now.

EDIT: UPI put it on the wires on 21 March.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

phongn wrote:This has been on the wires and various other newspapers for a few days at least, now.

Oi you, stop spoiling my theories. :P

And on topic, has any agency actualy shown the tapes themselves, or excerpts?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Rob Wilson wrote:
phongn wrote:This has been on the wires and various other newspapers for a few days at least, now.

I'm not sure. UPI, of course, is a print-only newsagency (as with Reuters, AFP, AP, etc.). If what they're saying is correct, however, it might be a bit graphic to put on the likes of CNN, FNC, *NBC, et. al.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Damn $1.500 per passenger for a cab ride to the border :shock: take the plane its more affordable 8)
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

phongn wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:

I'm not sure. UPI, of course, is a print-only newsagency (as with Reuters, AFP, AP, etc.). If what they're saying is correct, however, it might be a bit graphic to put on the likes of CNN, FNC, *NBC, et. al.
Well the BBC showed the POW interviews (for about 10 minutes, after that they pulled any pictures and refered to the images rather than show them), so I think they would have shown it. I'll keep an eye out.

Image Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Most of the American newsmedia has not shown the POW videos as yet.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I have seen the Pastur on TV being interviewed about the supposed tape, but as yet, I have not seen any of the tape. Now being that I know that Saddam is an ass and a tyrant, I am not suprised that atrosities happen. But having not seen the tape, it is quite possible it is propaganda.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.