Republican Guard may have been Given orders to use CHEMICALS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

israel will certainly fling nukes if theyre chemmed, i think thats a given, and saddam has already flamed israel even tho this war doesnt involve them.

so its not hard to assume that saddam will choose to chem SCUD israel and that israel will turn baghdad into a molten pit.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I don't get it. We should have invaded him a long time ago, because look at what happened when we invaded
No, we should have invaded them before because they broke international law, ignored the UN, and are two microts from breaking all conventions of war that exist today regardless of their being invaded.

Not even the "evil" US would do such.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

We should have finished the job in 1991, UN be damned.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

RedImperator wrote:We should have finished the job in 1991, UN be damned.
Indeed.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

I too would have been far happier if we had finished this bit of nastyness in 91 as well. War wolf that I am , even I have no desire to see chem weapons get thrown around. I personally hope its just the Iraqi's bluffing, but that little voice n my head says not to bet the farm on it..... :?
BotM
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Saddam should have been disposed of back in '91 but I don't think the Saudis and the rest of th Arab coelition members would have agreed. Forcing the issue then would have created a situation much worse than what we've got now.

Bush should have supported the Kurds and Shiites when they responded to his call by rising up against Saddam. This would have been politically difficult within the Arab world but nowhere near as bad as sending US troops to march on Baghdad.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

fgalkin wrote:I see that whatever I wanted to say had been said twice already, so I'm going to say something different:

SCREW YOU, HANS BLIX! :evil:
Blix was one naieve son of a gun, right up there with Chirac.

Thing is, Chirac is only protecting his own arse, cause he don't want us to find all the stuff with Made in France stamped on it in the middle of Baghdad, same goes for Russia.

I still don't know what to think of Germany...
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

RedImperator wrote:We should have finished the job in 1991, UN be damned.
Quite.

We knew that Slick Willy wouldn't do anything, but Bush should had, and now that we have a pres with the guts to do it, he gets chewed.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:Bush should have supported the Kurds and Shiites when they responded to his call by rising up against Saddam. This would have been politically difficult within the Arab world but nowhere near as bad as sending US troops to march on Baghdad.
I agree. It was a damn shame that he was so fucking stupid. But now.... as they say the sins of the father.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

to quote the radio..

"Times really have changed. The most popular rap artist is white, the best golf player is black, and Germany doesn't want to go to war!"
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

kojikun wrote:
to quote the radio..

"Times really have changed. The most popular rap artist is white, the best golf player is black, and Germany doesn't want to go to war!"
LMAO!
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I'm praying my ass off they don't use them. Aside from the huge number of deaths fromthe gas, it would put the US in a bind: Go nuclear and kill thousands, possibly trigger WW3 and set off another Jhiad, or don't go nuclear and show that we will backdown when the fear that America will nuke the hell out of them is the only thing that has been holding some countries back.

I really hope that somone on the Iraqui side sees this and makes the best call.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

what is Israel blames the US? ..
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

kojikun wrote:what is Israel blames the US? ..
huh? That's less coherent than usual.
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Re: Republican Guard may have been Given orders to use CHEMI

Post by Shadow WarChief »

MKSheppard wrote:
This comes from US Army radio intercepts of Iraqi Army
transmissions, specifically Republican Guard transmissions.

Everyone is reporting it, from Fox News to CBS, etc etc

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/ ... 1815.shtml
In the link there wasn't any mention of an intercepted radio broadcast. I don't doubt it's true, I'm just wondering if there's a more detailed report that I can tape to the hallways of my school and tell everybody "I told you so"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

kojikun wrote:
No, we should have invaded them before because they broke international law
Then by all means, invade everyone whoose done so.
ignored the UN
like the US did? like Israel does? like pretty much everyone does? Since when did this become a mandate for war? These are all ad hoc excuses to justify a predetermined course of action. Let me put it this way- the only way someone can make an honest case for war is saying that Iraq will be better off when it's over.
and are two microts from breaking all conventions of war that exist today regardless of their being invaded.
The intelligence community disagrees with you. They were not going to use chemical weapons unless backed up against a wall- which is what they are, and with the eyes of the world on them, they never would have again. I should reiterate that the only time Iraq did use them was when it had the US on side- against Iran in wartime, and against the Kurds in [insert hard to spell city name here].
Not even the "evil" US would do such.
Who says the US is evil?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Enlightenment wrote:Saddam should have been disposed of back in '91 but I don't think the Saudis and the rest of th Arab coelition members would have agreed. Forcing the issue then would have created a situation much worse than what we've got now.

Bush should have supported the Kurds and Shiites when they responded to his call by rising up against Saddam. This would have been politically difficult within the Arab world but nowhere near as bad as sending US troops to march on Baghdad.
had we done that, people like you would be bitching about how we are waging a bloody war by proxy against the people of Iraq :wink:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

The closest article I found on that site about chemical weapons was this

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/ ... 5902.shtml

which still says "US officals say..." which means nobody is putting their name to this. In contradiction, the article also says that there is still no evidence for chemical weapons. I'm not saying he absolutely doesn't have them, but let's not turn this into Fox News.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

To add fuel to this fire, a report from MSNBC:
NBC News’ Jim Miklaszewski reported from the Pentagon, meanwhile, that intercepted Iraqi communications indicated that the Republican Guard was under orders to attack with chemical weapons once U.S. ground troops crossed a line around Baghdad drawn roughly between Karbala and Al Kut.
The entire report can be found at http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749_asp.htm.

Scroll down the last section.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

storm, i meant if israel is hit with chems, what if they blame the US for starting a war that got israeli innocents killed.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Im not sure they would, considering how much money we float their way. they might get pissy towards their neighbors tho.

as for the chem weapons. . . Im quietly panicking.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Israel is effectively out of range of every missile Iraq ever got into production with American forces holding western Iraq.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2003-03-25 05:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Israel is efficiently out of range of every missile Iraq ever got into production with American forces holding western Iraq.
Please be right. I don't want to be capable of visitng the Baghdad Wastelands in the coming years.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

kojikun wrote:
Israel is efficiently out of range of every missile Iraq ever got into production with American forces holding western Iraq.
Please be right. I don't want to be capable of visitng the Baghdad Wastelands in the coming years.
Their primary launch facilities against Israel were at the H2 and H3 airfields, IIRC, which are under Coalition hands.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

The chemical weapons might be a hoax to force American troops to retreat, but I doubt that. If they do, it could be the thing that causes the invasion to royally screw up, Bush's approval rating and support for the war to plummet, and possibly an end to the fighting to prevent further casualties.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB