Obama budget 'targets middle class'

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Obama budget 'targets middle class'

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/04/14/ ... lass-61578
Obama’s budget boldly targets the middle class
April 14, 2013 by Cheryl Carpenter Klimek Leave a Comment
inShare
Email
Print

President Obama has said in more than one speech, “If you make under $250,000 you will not see your taxes increase by a single dime.” But as Neil Cavuto said on Fox’s Cavuto on Business Saturday, “That was then.”

The president’s new budget includes tax increases totaling $1.1 trillion dollars, including higher cigarette taxes, higher fees for aviation security, and new energy taxes which will hit the gas pumps. In addition, bank and insurance company fees are getting a big hike, which will probably be passed on to the consumer, according to Cavuto.

“It just hit me, the president said, ‘not by a single dime’,” guest Charles Payne of WStreet.com said. “He was telling the truth, that’s a lot of dimes. How many dimes are in a trillion?”

Dagan McDowell of Fox Business Network said she found the cap on the amount that can be saved in a tax-deferred retirement account to be most troubling. She said the $3 million cap was set “because they know what we should be able to live on.”

“I think this is just a preview of coming attractions,” Cavuto told the panel.

At $3.77 trillion, the Obama budget is the costliest ever for a single fiscal year, increasing the 2014 deficit by $128 billion over the Congressional Budget Office baseline.

See the discussion on the budget and ramifications for middle class taxpayers from Fox News here.
This article seems a bit confused on what it's talking about. On the one hand it's complaining about a trillion dollar tax increase, but on the other it seems to be complaining about the high deficit.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Obama budget 'targets middle class'

Post by Knife »

It's the corner they've painted themselves into. On the one hand, they have to hate everything he does, they hate tax increases, but on the other hand, are on a huge deficit kick right now, but know they can't talk too much about cutting things people like.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Taxes on things everyone pays for - gasoline, airline tickets, etc. - are not specifically targeting the middle class. Taxes on something like cigarettes, which are an optional luxury, are not "targeting the middle class".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Person who commits to not raising income tax raises indirect taxes. Who could have predicted?!?!?!?!?

And man the 3M thing is gold. Encouraging little people to prepare for retirement is bad if it doesn't allow rich people to avoid tax! :lol:
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Broomstick wrote:Taxes on things everyone pays for - gasoline, airline tickets, etc. - are not specifically targeting the middle class. Taxes on something like cigarettes, which are an optional luxury, are not "targeting the middle class".
They are, however, taxes that disproportionately affect the less wealthy. Someone making 250k+ a year doesn't give a flying fuck about gas prices or how much the TSA makes grabbing your balls, they can afford it. You and I, though?

I don't give a shit about cig taxes, though, honestly.
Last edited by Tanasinn on 2013-04-14 07:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth fears no trial.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The president’s new budget includes tax increases totaling $1.1 trillion dollars, including higher cigarette taxes, higher fees for aviation security, and new energy taxes which will hit the gas pumps.
Oh yay, people get to pay more for the clowns at the TSA.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tanasinn wrote:
I don't give a shit about cig taxes, though, honestly.
You should, on top of existing taxes it's going to grow the black market for cigarettes from states with lesser taxes. If the tax is not so much then there's no profit in it. But at an extra .92 on top of the existing tax means it's quite possible to set up a operation buying cigarettes in West Virgina and selling them across state lines to New Jersey, New York and DC. As in these cigarettes cost 3.00$ a pack there and 6.75$ a pack there meaning it's quite profitable to buy a bus load of cartoons and resell them them a hundred miles away. There are states where it's so bad (New York and Rode Island are the two poster children of this) that there are entire semi-legal operations set up with 20-40 smokers pooling money to send one guy to Virgina to buy 2000$ worth of smokes then travel back. If you push an excise tax to high you promote smuggling which is a bad thing for society to have since one you start smuggling one thing... to make more money you will start smuggling other things perhaps a lot more dangerous than smokes.

There's a fine line you have to walk with these type of taxes and frankly I think we are already over that line as it is making the .92 cent taxes another step to far.
For the record any excise tax more than a 100% increase on the price of the product is pretty much sure to generate some sort of black market in it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The cigarette tax applies across the board, so it's not as easily as smuggling cigarettes from one state to another. You'd need to move them across the borders, and the process margins for them aren't that high.

Moreover, higher taxes on cigarettes seem to deter smoking in younger and poorer populations of people (wealthy and 25-44 smokers not so much).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Guardsman Bass wrote:The cigarette tax applies across the board, so it's not as easily as smuggling cigarettes from one state to another. You'd need to move them across the borders, and the process margins for them aren't that high.

Moreover, higher taxes on cigarettes seem to deter smoking in younger and poorer populations of people (wealthy and 25-44 smokers not so much).
To high a federal tax generates tax free cigarettes (IE home made) since raw tobacco does not have the same taxes that already made cigarettes do. More over the difference between New York (4.35) and Virgina (.30) means a potential four dollar profit margin. In the economics of it tends to be a two dollar per pack profit to the cross state seller meaning there is money to be made. Not millions but tens of thousands is not bad for a few weeks a year.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Mr Bean wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:The cigarette tax applies across the board, so it's not as easily as smuggling cigarettes from one state to another. You'd need to move them across the borders, and the process margins for them aren't that high.

To high a federal tax generates tax free cigarettes (IE home made) since raw tobacco does not have the same taxes that already made cigarettes do. More over the difference between New York (4.35) and Virgina (.30) means a potential four dollar profit margin. In the economics of it tends to be a two dollar per pack profit to the cross state seller meaning there is money to be made. Not millions but tens of thousands is not bad for a few weeks a year.
It sounds like the problem isn't the tax itself. It's that the tax is inconsistent.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

bilateralrope wrote:
It sounds like the problem isn't the tax itself. It's that the tax is inconsistent.
One is a state to state tax, the other is a federal tax. The federal tax of about a dollar is not yet enough to really create illegal distributors of cigarettes. There is a good deal of profit in dodging state taxes but not yet federal taxes. This tax increase of .92 is enough to possibly create such a market for dodging federal as well as state taxes.

The point I'm trying to get across is right now there is a decent sized market in dodging state taxes but as yet there is little market for dodging federal taxes because it's not yet broke the 100% mark

xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

I can't say that I think that the suggestion that a tax increase could lead to people breaking the law is a good reason to not pass the tax increase.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

xt828 wrote:I can't say that I think that the suggestion that a tax increase could lead to people breaking the law is a good reason to not pass the tax increase.
I can because a tax increase that results in an increase in the crime rate and a reduction in tax revenue is an obviously bad idea. If at the end of the day you pass a tax increase that not only collects less tax (Because people start actively trying to dodge it) and your paying for more prisoners (For putting smugglers and home producers in jail) you've fail.

Because crazy me I think the idea of taxes increases is to raise revenue. Yes you can add a tax revenue that ends up discouraging behavior you don't like (Example a tax on any vehicle with under X MPG to promote fuel efficiency) as a happy benefit. However if the main reason your raising taxes on something is to discourage behavior I'd ask you to consider carefully the alternatives.

Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Mr Bean wrote:Because crazy me I think the idea of taxes increases is to raise revenue. Yes you can add a tax revenue that ends up discouraging behavior you don't like (Example a tax on any vehicle with under X MPG to promote fuel efficiency) as a happy benefit. However if the main reason your raising taxes on something is to discourage behavior I'd ask you to consider carefully the alternatives.
The alternative being what? Prohibition? That would really cut crime...

Taxes have been used to encourage/discourage behaviour for many years and, as Guardsman Bass pointed out, this is actually rather effective. Can you give a reason why this is a bad approach other than "because I have a very fixed idea".
What is WRONG with you people
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Mr Bean wrote:To high a federal tax generates tax free cigarettes (IE home made) since raw tobacco does not have the same taxes that already made cigarettes do. More over the difference between New York (4.35) and Virgina (.30) means a potential four dollar profit margin. In the economics of it tends to be a two dollar per pack profit to the cross state seller meaning there is money to be made. Not millions but tens of thousands is not bad for a few weeks a year.
Tobacco is also extremely easy to grow and process. The basic infrastructure amounts to what you'd need to grow houseplants, some plastic bags, and a clothesline. The quality you get is usually much better than what you get in a store to boot.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

aieeegrunt wrote:Tobacco is also extremely easy to grow and process. The basic infrastructure amounts to what you'd need to grow houseplants, some plastic bags, and a clothesline. The quality you get is usually much better than what you get in a store to boot.
:lol:
You got any idea of how much tobacco a smoker uses? A single plant will not yield more than 3-4 ounces of tobacco, probably less, which might get you 50-100 smokes. At two packs a day, that will get you less than a week from a year's harvest. Better quality? Maybe. But apart from occasionally sampling, home-grown tobacco will never be a viable competition to buying.

Also, smuggling is a state problem due to their own diverging taxes/costs. The federal tax applies everywhere, so no matter where people buy their stuff, and no matter where they haul it to after they did, the feds get their share (Maybe even twice if they re-sell it "officially" in another state).
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hillary wrote: The alternative being what? Prohibition? That would really cut crime...
No the alternative is not to raise the tax as far. You want to kick the tax up another .30 cents? That should work as the profit won't quite be there yet to encourage large scale avoidance.
Hillary wrote: Taxes have been used to encourage/discourage behaviour for many years and, as Guardsman Bass pointed out, this is actually rather effective. Can you give a reason why this is a bad approach other than "because I have a very fixed idea".
Have you missed the fact that taxes are already in place on cigarettes? This is not a new idea, there has already been a dollar a pack tax on smokes for years now. This new tax by Obama doubles that. If he wanted to kick it up slowly over ten years by ten cents a year maybe, or just push increase it by .02 cents to around .40 cents per pack again the market should simply bear that without an increase in avoidance of the tax.

Because what I'm arguing is that this is a tax to much to fast while the reverse side seems to be saying "Any tax at any time" if .92 cents is good to cut down usage why not 9.20$? Unless you concede the point that at some point raising a excise tax to high starts generating large scale smuggling and illegal distribution all we are really talking about at this point is where that tipping point occurs.

Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Mr Bean wrote:
Hillary wrote: The alternative being what? Prohibition? That would really cut crime...
No the alternative is not to raise the tax as far. You want to kick the tax up another .30 cents? That should work as the profit won't quite be there yet to encourage large scale avoidance.
Hillary wrote: Taxes have been used to encourage/discourage behaviour for many years and, as Guardsman Bass pointed out, this is actually rather effective. Can you give a reason why this is a bad approach other than "because I have a very fixed idea".
Have you missed the fact that taxes are already in place on cigarettes? This is not a new idea, there has already been a dollar a pack tax on smokes for years now. This new tax by Obama doubles that. If he wanted to kick it up slowly over ten years by ten cents a year maybe, or just push increase it by .02 cents to around .40 cents per pack again the market should simply bear that without an increase in avoidance of the tax.

Because what I'm arguing is that this is a tax to much to fast while the reverse side seems to be saying "Any tax at any time" if .92 cents is good to cut down usage why not 9.20$? Unless you concede the point that at some point raising a excise tax to high starts generating large scale smuggling and illegal distribution all we are really talking about at this point is where that tipping point occurs.
I hope you didn't put your back out shifting those goalposts like that. You argued that taxes should NEVER be used primarily to affect behaviour - I disputed that and Guardsman Bass posted evidence as to their effectiveness as a behaviour change tool. Your response - that it may be too much too quickly - is a completely separate argument.

Of course there is a point at which raising taxes starts to become counter-productive, but I was not disputing this.
What is WRONG with you people
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hillary please point to the shifting of goalposts since I have mentioned in almost every post the existing taxes on cigarettes.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tanasinn wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Taxes on things everyone pays for - gasoline, airline tickets, etc. - are not specifically targeting the middle class. Taxes on something like cigarettes, which are an optional luxury, are not "targeting the middle class".
They are, however, taxes that disproportionately affect the less wealthy. Someone making 250k+ a year doesn't give a flying fuck about gas prices or how much the TSA makes grabbing your balls, they can afford it. You and I, though?
The implication behind the headline and article is that these taxes are somehow targeting the middle class. They aren't. It's like saying raising food prices is "targeting the less wealthy". It's not. It applies to everyone equally. Yes, the wealthy aren't as bothered by it, they aren't as bothered by the cost of anything, that's one of the benefits of being rich. On the flip side, the rich tend to buy more shit (because they can afford to do so) so any tax on purchases might wind up with them paying more in absolute dollars.

Bottom line is that these increases, applied to everyone, are NOT "targeting" anyone. To that extent the article and headline are false.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

LaCroix wrote:You got any idea of how much tobacco a smoker uses? A single plant will not yield more than 3-4 ounces of tobacco, probably less, which might get you 50-100 smokes. At two packs a day, that will get you less than a week from a year's harvest. Better quality? Maybe. But apart from occasionally sampling, home-grown tobacco will never be a viable competition to buying.
Two packs a day? :|

That's like, equivalent to heavy alcoholism at that point, not the standard benchmark. Even a pack a day is already heavily overdoing it, at least in my experience. And if you get to that stage, you might as well be buying 250 cigarette shells "fill it yourself" bags, so alternative still does exist.
Broomstick wrote:The implication behind the headline and article is that these taxes are somehow targeting the middle class. They aren't. It's like saying raising food prices is "targeting the less wealthy". It's not. It applies to everyone equally. Yes, the wealthy aren't as bothered by it, they aren't as bothered by the cost of anything, that's one of the benefits of being rich. On the flip side, the rich tend to buy more shit (because they can afford to do so) so any tax on purchases might wind up with them paying more in absolute dollars.

Bottom line is that these increases, applied to everyone, are NOT "targeting" anyone. To that extent the article and headline are false.
Going by that line of thinking, nothing but heavily regressive tax targets the poor. Absolute dollars mean jack shit (as they can be easily used to justify even such dumb ideas as flat tax), what you need to do is to look how much relatively each social group tends to pay given average habits. Rich buy more shit? Um, no - there is hard limit how much human being can consume, they might buy more expensive shit but not more of it, and in certain cases much less, seeing good quality goods often last longer.

True, it might not 'target' the middle class like right-wing idiot in OP suggests, but justification above isn't much better.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Broomstick wrote: The implication behind the headline and article is that these taxes are somehow targeting the middle class. They aren't. It's like saying raising food prices is "targeting the less wealthy". It's not. It applies to everyone equally. Yes, the wealthy aren't as bothered by it, they aren't as bothered by the cost of anything, that's one of the benefits of being rich. On the flip side, the rich tend to buy more shit (because they can afford to do so) so any tax on purchases might wind up with them paying more in absolute dollars.

It's not unfair to point out, however, that taxes like this lay an unfair burden on the less wealthy. I imagine this is by design. Politicians get to say "it's fair!", the rich don't whinge about being the poor oppressed job makers, and the tax increases are relatively invisible to the common consumer so that they don't know who to blame unless they hear about about de facto increases on their taxes in this manner.
Truth fears no trial.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I disagree - you don't need malice and intent to result in adverse effects on a particular group. All it takes is thoughtless indifference.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Irbis wrote:That's like, equivalent to heavy alcoholism at that point, not the standard benchmark. Even a pack a day is already heavily overdoing it, at least in my experience. And if you get to that stage, you might as well be buying 250 cigarette shells "fill it yourself" bags, so alternative still does exist.
Most of the smokers I know will go through 5-7 a day, before and after work, lunch and break times? Out for a cig. So even for an actual average smoker home growing isn't really going to be viable, if it gets you three weeks worth of smoke at best.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157466/smoke ... -ever.aspx

So, based on survey data, 30% of Americans smoke one pack of cigs a day and more than 60% smoke less than one pack a day.

As for cigarette smuggling and etc...... shouldn't the answer to that be it depends? Singapore has one of the world heftiest smoking taxes in the world. It also enjoys a very high tax revenue from sin taxes. This even when cigarette smuggling is a prevalent problem, and not just smuggling, people popping across the border to buy cigs.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner