Good news thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Good news thread

Post by madd0ct0r »

just flicked through the current top threads and am feeling distinctly depressed about the state of the world.

Any good news out there?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Good news thread

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Godzilla has yet to appear.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Qaddafi is killing thousands in Libya, Saudi Arabia invaded Bahrain, Yemen is cracking down on protests, world airlines were engaged in a price-fixing conspiracy, electronics prices are spiking due to the situation in Japan--oh yea, tens of thousands dead in Japan.... Also nuclear power unfairly discredited and TEPCO incompetent morons. But mostly tens of thousands of dead, being ignored in favour of what is still scaremongering.

To be blunt, some weeks just fucking suck.

The price of oil is down? But that's arguably bad, too.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Saudi Arabia invaded Bahrain
What? When did that happen?
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Today. They sent in 1000 troops to assist in maintaining order.

The text between the lines is bolded 24pt.
Falarica
Youngling

Post by Falarica »

Commence primary legislation!

If aliens every really tried to contact us it'd be through the internet. Then 4chan would probably scare them off.
Pintsize - Questionable Content
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Well, I did see a video where this bully got his comeuppance when the kid he was beating on snapped, picked him up, slammed him onto the concrete floor, snapping his ankle. Unfortunately the one who was bullied got suspended, but I doubt the bully will be picking on anyone anytime soon.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Hmm, let me think....

Tickets for the 2012 Olympics have gone on sale....
The BMA is being told by its members to tell the Tories to shove the privatisation plans for the NHS up their arses

That sort of good news?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

General Schatten wrote:Well, I did see a video where this bully got his comeuppance when the kid he was beating on snapped, picked him up, slammed him onto the concrete floor, snapping his ankle. Unfortunately the one who was bullied got suspended, but I doubt the bully will be picking on anyone anytime soon.
Little punk had it coming. A description of this uplifting event from encyclopedia dramatica (May not be 100% accurate)
In the video, a small, ratty child was squaring up to a much larger chubster (but to call him a chubster is very deceiving, as he is a being of muscle) while his fellow vermin stood to the left with the camera. The ratty child, known as Ritchard, threw a punch, connecting with the chubster, Casey. Casey moved with the punch, but didn't back away or show any sign of pain. This was to be the Rat's first warning, which he failed to heed.

The Rat then began bouncing on his heels, taunting Casey by feigning punches to his stomach. Casey is seen moving his arm at speeds not yet achieved by mortal men. This was to be the Rat's second warning.

And then, following another feigned punch from the Rat, Casey acted. But it is not right to call him Casey anymore, because he is much, much more. He is the Beast. Channeling the power of the Immortal Ones, the Beast threw himself at the Rat and subdued him. He then proceeded to hoist the Rat up in to the air, pausing briefly to savor the smell of fear, before slamming the Rat down with enough force to destroy the other half of Japan.

Contemplating a kick to the head, the Beast, wise and merciful in victory, decided against it, knowing the Rat was already humiliated and broken. One of the Rat's counterparts came up with the intention of getting revenge, but when the Beast looked him square in the eyes he became paralyzed with fear. The Beast, satisfied with his work, turned and strode off to his lair.

The Beast's current whereabouts are unknown, but it is very likely he slumbers in an underwater cave in the Bermuda Triangle. Because he's the hero St. Mary's North deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Hm, I have things that are good news to me, at least: the Formula 1 season is about to start, Shogun 2 is about to be released, Sea Shepperd has managed to cause a premature end to the japanese whaling season, the second ATV has been launched successfully, there have been revolutions ousting several brutal regimes... and lets not forget that the people I love are healthy and not impoverished.
IMHO its mostly a bias in our perception, all the good things are taking for granted. Overall, the world seems to do fine, if what we see in this forum is all we should be bothered about. This is one of the few things that can make me loose my temper: people who have it pretty good complaining about how bad it supposedly is. Now I am not talking about this forum, but living in Germany and being surrounded by Germans can make this... difficult to avoid, to say the least.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Apparently the Apple Stores in Japan have been doing an awesome job helping those in need to contact loved ones, get food and water and find a place to sleep.

HERE
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

Tony Abbott has been forced to back down and concede that climate change is real and cause by humans.

That was the best news all day. :D
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

WV State Employees will be getting a raise of not less than $500 and not more than $1200
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

General Schatten wrote:Well, I did see a video where this bully got his comeuppance when the kid he was beating on snapped, picked him up, slammed him onto the concrete floor, snapping his ankle. Unfortunately the one who was bullied got suspended, but I doubt the bully will be picking on anyone anytime soon.
Par for the course with conflict resolution policy in American schools: Punish both sides equally 90% of the time, and punish the victim (if it's one of the majority of times the affair is one-sided enough a monkey on heavy-duty sedatives can tell who's being victimized) more harshly the last 10% just to be an assholitarian. Results are that a situation is created where going absolutely nuclear on your attacker is the best possible option, and sometimes the only one that makes any sense whatsoever in the long run. This is one of the very rare times in life the TBOverse Solution™ of extreme unmitigated violence as a defense actually works. Fucking shame, too.
Image Image
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

Par for the course with conflict resolution policy in American schools: Punish both sides equally 90% of the time, and punish the victim (if it's one of the majority of times the affair is one-sided enough a monkey on heavy-duty sedatives can tell who's being victimized) more harshly the last 10% just to be an assholitarian. Results are that a situation is created where going absolutely nuclear on your attacker is the best possible option, and sometimes the only one that makes any sense whatsoever in the long run. This is one of the very rare times in life the TBOverse Solution™ of extreme unmitigated violence as a defense actually works. Fucking shame, too.
Isn't it ridiculous? No jury in the world would convict an adult for defending themselves in that manner...yet the message they send to the child is "fight back and you'll be punished". They wonder why the fuck we end up with teenage gangs and messed up adults when this kind of idiocy is perpetuated. :roll:
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Skgoa wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Saudi Arabia invaded Bahrain
What? When did that happen?
Well, technically, it's not an invasion as the government of Bahrain asked them to come in. But I'm pretty sure that's not how the rebelling peasants see it.

Good news, let's see... let's see.... gosh, it IS hard to find any...

How about - a 4 month old baby swept away in the Japanese tsunami was found alive and reunited with her very grateful parents. Looks like the baby is OK - just a bit dehydrated, chilled, and very hungry. Should be completely recovered within a day.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Does this count? (assuming its correct, which is still very iffy at this point).
(Reuters) - An opposition Libyan news website reported on Tuesday that rebels flying a MiG 23 warplane and a helicopter sank two pro-Gaddafi warships off the eastern coast near the town of Adjabiyah.

The Brnieq online newspaper quoted an unnamed airforce officer at the Benina airbase in Benghazi as saying the two aircraft also bombed an unspecified number of tanks near Brega and Ajdabiya, two towns that fell to pro-Gaddafi forces on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Souhail Karam, writing by Tom Heneghan; Editing by Matthew Jones)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/ ... F120110315

Of course, if you're one of the crew members on said warships, probably not.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Pelranius wrote:Of course, if you're one of the crew members on said warships, probably not.
Oh, I wouldn't know about that. Pro-Gaddaffi forces getting neutralized (to put it mildly) is always good news, even if Gazooks himself doesn't realize it. 8)
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Wonder if the Egyptians had anything to do with it?

There are pretty credible rumors that Unit 777, the Egyptian Special Forces, are inside Libya right now.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

bobalot wrote:
Little punk had it coming. A description of this uplifting event from encyclopedia dramatica (May not be 100% accurate)
Guys, you need to watch Bully Beatdown. I think its free streaming for Schats since he is a US citizen. For us Aussies, we have to um, watch it by other means. I recommend season 3 episode 1 and another episode I think in the first season where the bully vomits after the shellacking the MMA fighter dishes out to him. This of course has been uploaded so the whole world can see the bully's humiliation. After all the bully took great pleasure in telling every one how tough he was when beating up the victim, now we can laugh at him.

Because of this show Jason "Mayhem" Miller has become my new hero. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Twoyboy wrote:Tony Abbott has been forced to back down and concede that climate change is real and cause by humans.

That was the best news all day. :D
WTF? Link please!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

In the realm of white people's / first world problems good news:

The Australian federal government has told SCAG to get its shit together and fix the gaming classification system or it will be forced to step on the state's rights over the matter.

Note to American readers - state's rights in Australia /= civil war material.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Justforfun000 wrote:Isn't it ridiculous? No jury in the world would convict an adult for defending themselves in that manner...yet the message they send to the child is "fight back and you'll be punished". They wonder why the fuck we end up with teenage gangs and messed up adults when this kind of idiocy is perpetuated. :roll:
If any of y'all are interested, here it is, the other kid's ankle looks pretty messed up and there's a picture going around of him on crutches, so if you don't want to see it don't look: http://www.viddler.com/explore/MercWithMouth/videos/27
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

If any of y'all are interested, here it is, the other kid's ankle looks pretty messed up and there's a picture going around of him on crutches, so if you don't want to see it don't look: http://www.viddler.com/explore/MercWithMouth/videos/27
While I can't say I enjoy seeing anyone being hurt...even in self-defence..I still take delight in the message it sends. Anything that would make people stop and think twice...even if it's for their own self-preservation, I applaud. I abhor bullying and it's such a plague on the weakest members of society. Children! It's disgusting and I can't understand why it's always been excused and accepted instead of being outright called for what it is. Barbarism! Terrorism. Assault and battery. Why the fuck are children expected to suck it up when a full grown adult gets criminal charges and civil suits won to the tune of thousands? Fucking retarted.
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

And for the record..that kid was pretty stupid! He may have had balls..but the other guy was twice his size. :roll: