Tuscon incident and gun control discussion

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Tuscon incident and gun control discussion

Post by Zixinus »

This is a discussion brewing around the forum about gun control. Observe:

In Hall of Shame:
It's your kind's obsession with guns that makes school shootings so common here. How'd you sleep at night?
In Political Cartoons thread:
The last one may get me flamed.

Rightfully so, given how many times we've discussed the topic and it always comes down to solving the problem (socioeconomic disparity and lack of healthcare) rather than the symptoms. But I guess anti-gun lobbyists are just not big fans of reason. :roll:

Guns don't magically turn people into psychopaths. All you're asking us to do is waste time restricting other people's freedom to do as they please without harming anyone else, whilst the money doing so could be better spent social programs to get the people who feel driven to these acts the help they need.
So I thought I'd make a thread to allow everyone to get this out of their system.

Do you believe that better gun control would have avoided the Tuscon "Open Congress" shooting?

We do know that the person was a lone nut: he believed that people were brainwashed through grammar and whatnot. The question is, would harder access to the gun have prevented such an accident?

My thoughts: Maybe. One thing is sure though, better security should have been done. Members of Congress should be protected a bit more and I would have thought that such rallies would have become a "gun-free-zone" by security anyway.

I believe that people should have access to firearms. However, I do not believe that they should do so without requisites: weapons should not be given to the criminal and insane.
Obviously a psych profile or something like that would have avoided giving a weapon to this psychopath. However, psychology is not an exact science and it would take months to make anything accurate. Not only would this inconvenience legitimate requests but also would give a chance to false diagnosis.

Now, a simple idea would be just to not give a license to anyone with criminal history or with mental disorder history that could influence judgment. This however is full of holes. What is a legitimate disorder that could endanger others? That, and remember that until a diagnosis no one has a mental disorder history, such as the shooter at Tuscon.

Lone nuts going on a rampage is nothing new. We had things like this in Hungary during the Soviet times, where access to guns was very strict. The USA had a number of them. Question is, would gun control avoid such a shooting?

Edited some quote tags.
-SCRawl
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: Gun control and Tuscon shooting?

Post by loomer »

Frankly, I doubt it. Lone nuts like that tend to move in information exchange circles similar to the ones I do, so if he hadn't been able to acquire a firearm legally (or even on the black market, since it's not like you can just walk downtown and find a 'Illegal Home Depot' or anything. He may not have known where to look.) chances are he could have very easily found the necessary information to either manufacture a single shot weapon, or something worse - enough explosive to kill just about the entire crowd at once, for instance.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Define 'gun control'. Make yet more hoops to jump through? No. Actually USE THE SYSTEM PROPERLY? Maybe.

Ban the extended clip he used? It'd drop the goddamn number of victims. But the NRA, the very subject of the cartoon I posted, has started making their usual noises over the idea of restricting a pistol clip that can carry.. I don't remember, but it's quite a bit more. Plus, it ruins the aesthetics of the gun.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

SirNitram wrote:Define 'gun control'. Make yet more hoops to jump through? No. Actually USE THE SYSTEM PROPERLY? Maybe.

Ban the extended clip he used? It'd drop the goddamn number of victims. But the NRA, the very subject of the cartoon I posted, has started making their usual noises over the idea of restricting a pistol clip that can carry.. I don't remember, but it's quite a bit more. Plus, it ruins the aesthetics of the gun.

But if I don't have a 30 round magazine I'll have to reload twice as often! I mean yeah, you could have saved lives, but imagine the inconvenience!
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Flagg wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Define 'gun control'. Make yet more hoops to jump through? No. Actually USE THE SYSTEM PROPERLY? Maybe.

But if I don't have a 30 round magazine I'll have to reload twice as often! I mean yeah, you could have saved lives, but imagine the inconvenience!
I'm all unreasonable and think a pistol should be reloaded every 12-15 rounds to reduce death. Plus, do you really want your pistol to look like the equivalent of a car with one of those gaudy and moronic spoilers bolted on, that in no way match the car?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Zixinus wrote:
Rightfully so, given how many times we've discussed the topic and it always comes down to solving the problem (socioeconomic disparity and lack of healthcare) rather than the symptoms. But I guess anti-gun lobbyists are just not big fans of reason. :roll:

Guns don't magically turn people into psychopaths. All you're asking us to do is waste time restricting other people's freedom to do as they please without harming anyone else, whilst the money doing so could be better spent social programs to get the people who feel driven to these acts the help they need.
So I thought I'd make a thread to allow everyone to get this out of their system.

Do you believe that better gun control would have avoided the Tuscon "Open Congress" shooting?
Absolutely. Jared Loughner was the sort of person who should never have been allowed anything more dangerous than child's cap-gun with the works all epoxied shut.

Sure, some pro-gun people would say if there were no guns, then he'd have executed his attack with a sharpened red herring.

That's plainly fallacious. It could also be argued that Loughner carried out his attack because free access to guns, ammunition, and gun accessories made it easier for him to pull off the attack. It is also difficult to deny the fact that if Loughner had been crazy enough to attack a crowd with a knife, the number of casualties would've been far less than nineteen. Sure, if he were really crazy, he could've strapped on a suicide vest and blown himself, Congresswoman Giffords, and about forty other people, to kingdom come . . . except we've made it difficult for someone to obtain enough sufficiently-high explosives to do that.

No, guns don't magically turn people into sociopaths; but they sure do make it easier for them to carry out their darkest impulses.
We do know that the person was a lone nut: he believed that people were brainwashed through grammar and whatnot. The question is, would harder access to the gun have prevented such an accident?
Yes, frankly. In a properly run world, his expulsion from Pima Community College on pain of presenting proof that he's undergoing psychological treatment and is judged to no longer be a threat to himself, or others, should've been filed with law enforcement. It should've come up on the instant background check, and should've immediately disqualified him from owning firearms. If he were required to complete mandatory safety training and licensing; he would very likely have washed out of such training (like he washed out of community college, and most every job he's ever had,) and would've been prohibited from owning a gun.
Obviously a psych profile or something like that would have avoided giving a weapon to this psychopath. However, psychology is not an exact science and it would take months to make anything accurate. Not only would this inconvenience legitimate requests but also would give a chance to false diagnosis.

Now, a simple idea would be just to not give a license to anyone with criminal history or with mental disorder history that could influence judgment. This however is full of holes. What is a legitimate disorder that could endanger others? That, and remember that until a diagnosis no one has a mental disorder history, such as the shooter at Tuscon.
In cases like these, it's much better to have false positives rather than false negatives. The consequences of a false positive: Well, somebody is butt-hurt and deprived of the privilege of owning firearms. The consequences of a false negative: Dead people. Ergo, we should err on the side of being more cautious.
Lone nuts going on a rampage is nothing new. We had things like this in Hungary during the Soviet times, where access to guns was very strict. The USA had a number of them. Question is, would gun control avoid such a shooting?
The US has them far more of them, compared to other First World nations. There isn't a month that goes by where you don't see some brief news story in American media about how someone has decided to resolve their grievances by taking a gun, shooting the offending party, a few innocent bystanders, and then themselves. Better gun control would've kept a gun out of the hands of someone as obviously maladjusted as Jared Loughner.

Contrary to what some pro-gun people think, the issue of gun control is not binary. It's not a matter of deciding between "guns for all" and "guns for none." Just because someone should *gasp* be willing to prove that they can safely and responsibly own and operate a firearm, doesn't mean that we'll all be living in a gun-free communist police-state tomorrow. The "slippery-slope" is a logical fallacy.
Flagg wrote:But if I don't have a 30 round magazine I'll have to reload twice as often! I mean yeah, you could have saved lives, but imagine the inconvenience!
The inconvenience of a magazine change is no more than a couple of seconds, provided one has taken care to have the magazines readily accessible beforehand, and has spent a lot of time at the firing range honing their skills. The core thrust behind restricting access to high-capacity magazines is what legitimate purpose does a private citizen have for them? It's the same logic behind preventing people from obtaining C4, and large quantities of ANFO.

Statistically speaking, self-defense shootings are typically resolved in five rounds or less. Shooting game for the freezer shouldn't take more than that either . . . one or two shots would be best, since the animal is dispatched humanely and you don't ruin as much meat that way. If you have a pressing need to shoot thirty rounds without reloading, you've passed the point of "I'm shooting in self-defense" and are well on your way to "I'm involved in a shooting war." A thirty-round pistol magazine confers no competitive advantage in shooting sports (no, drunkenly shooting watermelons out in the back-country doesn't count as a shooting sport) . . . if anything, that big hunk of plastic hampers your mobility.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zixinus wrote:Do you believe that better gun control would have avoided the Tuscon "Open Congress" shooting?
In that particular case I think the only thing that would have reasonably prevented deaths would be a better mental health system in this country. Given his behavior in Pima College he should have been forced into a psychiatric evaluation which, I am convinced, would have definitely listed him as mentally ill, put him into the national database of “do not sell guns to this person”, and made it nigh impossible for him to obtain guns at the local Wal-Mart.

In an ideal world such an evaluation would be based not only on his interaction with a person qualified to diagnose mental illness but also his school conduct, job performance, and internet ravings. I believe that in this particular case that would have led to his incarceration in a locked ward and some enforced treatment, even under today's laws, except for the minor detail that no one wants to pay for that sort of thing. Our society would rather wait for a mentally ill person to maim or kill others, then lock them in a prison or execute them. I view that as not only immoral, but (since so many only understand things in terms of money) not cost-effective. It is possible for treatment to restore sufficient sanity to many schizophrenics, to the point they can hold down a job, take care of themselves, not threaten others, and basically be a productive member of society while enjoying a reasonably normal life. Ideally, we'd try to achieve that state for schizophrenics before throwing them onto a trash heap of failed human beings but that's not how the world works at the moment.
What harder access are you proposing?

Fact is, there was nothing on record prohibiting his purchase of a gun. Until you do something there is no mark against you.

The only gun control proposal suggested so far in this thread that might have worked is mandatory training classes, which he might have washed out of. That assumes there is some substance to the class, and that he couldn't repress his nutty demeanor sufficiently to grit his teeth and get through it. Whether or not he could do that depends in part on how rigorous the class was, and how frequent. He might have been able to get through an easy one or two session course.

However, if he had washed out of training (and one would hope that would be the case) there remains the problem of a dangerously ill person in the community. I suspect that if he couldn't have gotten a gun he would have used some other means to strike at Giffords and others. The death toll would have been lower (probably – if he used a bomb it might have been higher, but disorganized crazy thinking and bomb assembly are not a good mix, usually). I still maintain that in this particular case enforced psychiatric treatment would have been the best preventive measure, and also morally justified.
My thoughts: Maybe. One thing is sure though, better security should have been done. Members of Congress should be protected a bit more and I would have thought that such rallies would have become a "gun-free-zone" by security anyway.
Many Congresspeople pride themselves on how accessible they are to their constituents. Security creates a barrier to that.

This also gets back to the issue of we have 50 different states and many large municipalities that result in a patchwork of laws. Arizona is very liberal about allowing guns to be carried nearly everywhere, much more so than the rest of the country except, possibly, Alaska (where they have sufficient large and dangerous wildlife that walking around armed does make sense over much of its territory). If such an event had occurred in, say, Chicago, it is MUCH more likely there would be security on hand. Heck, my local Aldi grocery store employs a security guard even when there aren't any governmental representatives there.

Would security have prevented this? Well... maybe. It depends on what sort of security you're talking about. A few relatively untrained warm bodies standing around? Maybe not. A guard with some talent for picking the troublemakers out of a crowd? – maybe. Bodyguards? Secret Service? They quite likely would have protected Giffords, but that still leaves the crowd at risk, and likely dead bodies still on the ground.

A fenced off area and metal detectors? Sure, that's starting to get to the point it might prevent such a catastrophe. But then, “Congress on the Corner” wouldn't be happening “on the corner”, at a local grocery store. That would be the trade-off, less accessibility to elected officials.
I believe that people should have access to firearms. However, I do not believe that they should do so without requisites: weapons should not be given to the criminal and insane.
I think we're all on board with that one.
However, in this particular case Loughner's behavior was so erratic, his communications so disordered, that it is almost a textbook fit for paranoid schizophrenia. I think even a short evaluation would tip off a doctor that there is something seriously wrong with the man, sufficiently wrong for a psychiatric admission to a hospital for an evaluation, at least 72 hours of observation (both are within the scope of current laws) to determine if his crazy behavior and thinking is the product of drugs or mental disease.

This isn't something like mild depression. This guy is nuts. He's crazy enough that people in a classroom with him were positioning themselves near the door ready to flee. No one would make a precise diagnosis quickly but he's far gone enough that even a layperson knows there is something seriously, seriously wrong with him and a professional would have the basis for at least a temporary involuntary commitment. That right there would put him in the national database and make obtaining a gun far, far more difficult for Mr. Loughner.

This is definitely a case where people were reluctant to utilize the system already in place. In Arizona the college would have been entirely without the scope of law to not simply expel Loughner but require a psychiatric evaluation. The school choose not to utilize that. While not every state has laws permitting a college to force someone to undergo such an evaluation Arizona does. In this case, the school may well be held liable for letting this guy slip through the cracks. I'm sure the school lawyers are shitting their pants right now over that, and if they aren't they should be. They knew he was a problem, no question about it, and threatening to others just based on his behavior.

The big stumbling block, however, is that no one wants to pay for mental health care. So there are very few hospital beds open for such people. Society waits for them to commit crimes, then throws them into jail. While physical health care is mandated, to a least a minimal level, while someone is in prison there is ZERO guarantee of ANY mental health care need being taken care of.
And that's the big flaw with using gun control to prevent this particular case – shooting 19 people was his first official offense. A better mental health system that responded to his abnormal behavior might have prevented his hurting anyone, and if nothing else would have prevented him obtaining a gun (legally – there are, of course, ways to get a gun illegally)
Flagg wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Ban the extended clip he used? It'd drop the goddamn number of victims. But the NRA, the very subject of the cartoon I posted, has started making their usual noises over the idea of restricting a pistol clip that can carry.. I don't remember, but it's quite a bit more. Plus, it ruins the aesthetics of the gun.
It wasn't until he went to reload that the crowd was able to jump him and subdue him (one woman snatching the new clips out of his hand while two men tackled him). So yes, arguably a smaller reservoir of ammunition would have considerably reduced the damage. If he had had to reload after, say, 6 shots he might have shot only 2-3 people. He certainly would not have been able to shoot 19 in that scenario. If nothing else it would have significantly reduced the carnage.

So this case would support banning, or very tightly regulating, extended ammo clips.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:I'm all unreasonable and think a pistol should be reloaded every 12-15 rounds to reduce death. Plus, do you really want your pistol to look like the equivalent of a car with one of those gaudy and moronic spoilers bolted on, that in no way match the car?
Extremely high-capacity magazines have been used in only a very small number of shootings. Of course things get more complicated when you look at the variety of magazine sizes.

The AR-15 family was designed around a 20 round magazine. But the current standard is 30 rounds. Thats considered normal. High-capacity on an AR-15 is actualy considered more than 30 rounds. They have 40 and 50 round magazines, 100 round drum magazines. And of course there are 10 and 5 round magazines for AR-15s.

The Glock-21 is designed around a 13 round magazine. But in California that is considered High-capacity as they have a 10 round limit. So California considers anything with more than 10 rounds to be high-capacity.

High-capacity magazines that go beyond normal sizes, those are fairly rare in criminal use. I can think of only two off the top of my head. There were some high capacity magazines used in the North Hollywood Shoutout. I believe one guy had a 75 round magazine for an AK-47. And we have the Tuscon shooting where the shooter had a 30 round magazine.

Interestingly enough, the two incidents are inconclussive. North Hollywood had no civilian or police fatalities. Tuscon had a ton of fatalities.

Do magazine size restrictions reduce fatalities? Probably. But I think the numbers are relatively small. Extended spree shootings are exceedingly rare.

An overhaul of the mental health system and effectively using it with gun control would have had a bigger impact. The Tuscon and V-Tech shootings might have been stopped.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Magazines Broomstick, clips are something different.

That aside there is the unfortunate fact that these mags are already out there, so even if you ban or regulate them, those already sold will be grandfathered in (go ahead and try to mandate they be turned in, we did with pre-registry guns and accomplished not a lot). Yeah you could mandate they be registered and stamp serial numbers on all the new ones but you can't do anything about those out there. It's pretty easy to comb craigslist and such for a high cap mag and if you just go pick it up in a private sale, I'm sure the guy in question could suppress his nuttery long enough to hand over money.

I'm not a pistol shooter but apparently most civvie mags sold, are just pinned and they can be removed easily. I could certainly pull the plug out my wifes SKS in a couple minutes and *presto!* an extra five rounds.

The best course of action would probably be a more rigorous procedure to go through to obtain a firearm; training, maybe licensing and registration, in combination with a more on the ball mental health system. But good luck getting that in the USA.

It's an imperfect system and in a few months people will forget until the next shooting. And I expect nothing will change.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

You cannot take away guns from someone under the 2nd amendment unless they have been taken up before a judge and ruled incompetent to possess. Not all the gun control in the world could have prevented this potential incident, save from literally banning firearms completely, even if just single-shot target weapons were still available, then at the very least Giffords would still have a bullet in her brain, because nobody ever actually realized Loughner's problems and responded to them. Full stop. Gun control remains bandaging the symptoms. Virginia Tech was the exact same way--the shooter could have been legally banned from purchasing firearms due to his involuntary commitment, but wasn't. Enforcement of the existing laws on the books would have stopped both recent major mass murders--assuming anyone had given a fuck about tracking these people down.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:You cannot take away guns from someone under the 2nd amendment unless they have been taken up before a judge and ruled incompetent to possess. Not all the gun control in the world could have prevented this potential incident, save from literally banning firearms completely, even if just single-shot target weapons were still available, then at the very least Giffords would still have a bullet in her brain, because nobody ever actually realized Loughner's problems and responded to them. Full stop. Gun control remains bandaging the symptoms. Virginia Tech was the exact same way--the shooter could have been legally banned from purchasing firearms due to his involuntary commitment, but wasn't. Enforcement of the existing laws on the books would have stopped both recent major mass murders--assuming anyone had given a fuck about tracking these people down.
So what are the current laws that could have been used? It was mentioned there is a phone number his classmates/teachers could have used, but in the same thread a resident of Arizona who works at a hospital was unaware of it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Aaron wrote:Magazines Broomstick, clips are something different.
Then I stand corrected - I am not a gun owner and sometimes it shows.
That aside there is the unfortunate fact that these mags are already out there, so even if you ban or regulate them, those already sold will be grandfathered in (go ahead and try to mandate they be turned in, we did with pre-registry guns and accomplished not a lot). Yeah you could mandate they be registered and stamp serial numbers on all the new ones but you can't do anything about those out there. It's pretty easy to comb craigslist and such for a high cap mag and if you just go pick it up in a private sale, I'm sure the guy in question could suppress his nuttery long enough to hand over money.
Even if he was on the "don't sell to him" list he could still obtain a gun via private sale or a gun show. If no new high capacity magazines were being sold legally then obtaining one wouldn't be impossible, just more difficult. There value would go up immediately, as would the prices, and open selling of something illegal on Craigslist might happen but it wouldn't be common. It would make getting one more difficult. It won't stop all the shooters but it will stop some and might be justified on the grounds of harm reduction.
The best course of action would probably be a more rigorous procedure to go through to obtain a firearm; training, maybe licensing and registration, in combination with a more on the ball mental health system. But good luck getting that in the USA.
A potential flaw with using firearms training to catch people with something like schizophrenia is that a person might pass such training at 18 or 21, then have their mental disease emerge after that point. Schizophrenia emerges in the college years of young adulthood. It typically strikes between 20-28 for men, and 26-32 years of age for women, so it's entirely possible for a person to be functioning normally at the time of firearms training then have a mental disease emerge years later.

That's why you need a good mental health and reporting system as well. You aren't going to screen all the crazies out with just gun control laws and training. You need something that targets these people for treatment before they hurt someone. And, oh yes, because that's also better for the vast majority of schizophrenics who actually aren't going to hurt someone, but who are suffering without treatment, or victimized, or otherwise neglected.

It's an imperfect system and in a few months people will forget until the next shooting. And I expect nothing will change.[/quote]
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Broomstick wrote: Then I stand corrected - I am not a gun owner and sometimes it shows.
Hey fair enough. Just for future reference and so you know:

Magazines typically look something like this. And fit in the bottom of the weapon.

A clip typically looks like this. And is used to either load a magazine or the weapon itself in the case of many hunting and older military firearms.

Those examples are both for rifles but the principle is the same for pistols.

Even if he was on the "don't sell to him" list he could still obtain a gun via private sale or a gun show. If no new high capacity magazines were being sold legally then obtaining one wouldn't be impossible, just more difficult. There value would go up immediately, as would the prices, and open selling of something illegal on Craigslist might happen but it wouldn't be common. It would make getting one more difficult. It won't stop all the shooters but it will stop some and might be justified on the grounds of harm reduction.
Well that's how it was sold here, or it was the thought process after the École Polytechnique massacre.
A potential flaw with using firearms training to catch people with something like schizophrenia is that a person might pass such training at 18 or 21, then have their mental disease emerge after that point. Schizophrenia emerges in the college years of young adulthood. It typically strikes between 20-28 for men, and 26-32 years of age for women, so it's entirely possible for a person to be functioning normally at the time of firearms training then have a mental disease emerge years later.
Well you could try what we do here; every five years you reapply for your license and have to disclose certain mental health issues. Of course you could just lie and as long as it hasn't been recorded anywhere, off you go.
That's why you need a good mental health and reporting system as well. You aren't going to screen all the crazies out with just gun control laws and training. You need something that targets these people for treatment before they hurt someone. And, oh yes, because that's also better for the vast majority of schizophrenics who actually aren't going to hurt someone, but who are suffering without treatment, or victimized, or otherwise neglected.
Oh I certainly agree. And it would be my preference.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Broomstick wrote:A potential flaw with using firearms training to catch people with something like schizophrenia is that a person might pass such training at 18 or 21, then have their mental disease emerge after that point. Schizophrenia emerges in the college years of young adulthood. It typically strikes between 20-28 for men, and 26-32 years of age for women, so it's entirely possible for a person to be functioning normally at the time of firearms training then have a mental disease emerge years later.
The obvious answer to this flaw is that a holder of a firearms license must periodically re-qualify for that license. Just like they do for drivers' licenses in many states, and for concealed-carry permits in states that have them.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Aaron wrote:So what are the current laws that could have been used? It was mentioned there is a phone number his classmates/teachers could have used, but in the same thread a resident of Arizona who works at a hospital was unaware of it.
I can't quote specific laws, however, in every jurisdiction I am aware of police are authorized to present people to a hospital that the law officer(s) have reason to believe is a danger to themselves or others. The law allows a hospital to hold someone against their will for a limited period of time for observation, and if such observation indicated there is a Serious Problem a court order is required to hold them longer.

The police were called to Pima College more than once. If Loughner's behavior was sufficiently crazy (and I do not, personally, have a way of knowing how nutty he acted in front of the police) the police could have and should have taken him in for observation at the very least. A couple rounds of that and obtaining a court order for involuntary commitment gets easier.

The "phone number" mentioned probably refers to the Arizona laws that allow anyone in the state to petition a state-licensed mental health facility to obtain a court order for an evaluation to determine competency. Of course, one application would not necessarily result in such a thing, but a flurry of them almost certainly would have. Likely, though, most people in Arizona are unaware of this provision. Also, I recall hearing somewhere that in recent years Arizona have sharply reduced the number of "state-licensed mental health facilities" which, of course, makes this whole process less likely to happen. If the phone number you have is to a now closed facility that would naturally hamper this process.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:The obvious answer to this flaw is that a holder of a firearms license must periodically re-qualify for that license. Just like they do for drivers' licenses in many states, and for concealed-carry permits in states that have them.
It would have to be a LOT tougher than driver's license renewal, which in many states is perfunctory at best and often just an excuse to get an updated picture on the license. In some states you mail in your driver's license renewal. So... only if the system for firearms renewal is considerably beefier than that.

In my state, Indiana, it is not ridiculously easy to obtain a lifetime gun permit allowing concealed carry as long as your record is clean.

While I find merit in the idea of firearms license renewal, the devil is still in the details of how its applied, and again you still need to a good mental health system to catch folks before they cause harm.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyeska wrote:
SirNitram wrote:I'm all unreasonable and think a pistol should be reloaded every 12-15 rounds to reduce death. Plus, do you really want your pistol to look like the equivalent of a car with one of those gaudy and moronic spoilers bolted on, that in no way match the car?
Extremely high-capacity magazines have been used in only a very small number of shootings. Of course things get more complicated when you look at the variety of magazine sizes.

The AR-15 family was designed around a 20 round magazine. But the current standard is 30 rounds. Thats considered normal. High-capacity on an AR-15 is actualy considered more than 30 rounds. They have 40 and 50 round magazines, 100 round drum magazines. And of course there are 10 and 5 round magazines for AR-15s.

The Glock-21 is designed around a 13 round magazine. But in California that is considered High-capacity as they have a 10 round limit. So California considers anything with more than 10 rounds to be high-capacity.

High-capacity magazines that go beyond normal sizes, those are fairly rare in criminal use. I can think of only two off the top of my head. There were some high capacity magazines used in the North Hollywood Shoutout. I believe one guy had a 75 round magazine for an AK-47. And we have the Tuscon shooting where the shooter had a 30 round magazine.

Interestingly enough, the two incidents are inconclussive. North Hollywood had no civilian or police fatalities. Tuscon had a ton of fatalities.

Do magazine size restrictions reduce fatalities? Probably. But I think the numbers are relatively small. Extended spree shootings are exceedingly rare.

An overhaul of the mental health system and effectively using it with gun control would have had a bigger impact. The Tuscon and V-Tech shootings might have been stopped.
So a relatively small amount of fatalities aren't worth the inconvenience of restricting extended magazines? I know you're not actually saying that, but look at your own statement. Yes, it will be small. But I consider removing extended magazines worth some lives. I'm certain you can, when you are looking at it directly, see that I'm not that crazy here.

And yes, the mental health system in Arizona failed. The background check system failed. These must be actually used properly. But still, is 'it's a relatively small' number of people really amount to a rebuttal to the idea of restricting magazine size? I'm sorry to belabor it, but it smacks very.. Distorted.

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Broomstick wrote: It would have to be a LOT tougher than driver's license renewal, which in many states is perfunctory at best and often just an excuse to get an updated picture on the license. In some states you mail in your driver's license renewal. So... only if the system for firearms renewal is considerably beefier than that.

In my state, Indiana, it is not ridiculously easy to obtain a lifetime gun permit allowing concealed carry as long as your record is clean.

While I find merit in the idea of firearms license renewal, the devil is still in the details of how its applied, and again you still need to a good mental health system to catch folks before they cause harm.
Well that's use Canada's as an example (purely because I am familiar with it). If you had to actually re-take the course (as opposed to challenging the test or mailing in a form), then that would be approximately ten hours of class room time with lectures and hands on practice plus the test. Is it sufficient? Eh, I'd say so, if a guy can't keep his mouth shut for an hour long class, he won't for a ten hour one.

It's also interesting to note that because I have PTSD and a history of alcoholism (now some five years past) that I will likely have to get my psychologist to say "good idea" or "bad idea" every five years when I renew. Is that a bad idea? I don't think so and it makes it harder to slip through the cracks. It's also worth noting that if I as a license holder am aware of someone who owns firearms and is unstable then I am obligated, legally to report it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think that a nation that has at least twenty-times as many shootings, 32 times as many murders (many committed with a gun) should really look into getting guns of the street.

Yes, I know it will be hard. But it certainly can be done and there is historical precedent. See Germany. Up until 1918 Germans loved weapons. The number of rifle clubs and hunting groups skyrocketed up until every village had a local gun festival every year etc. The basic idea was that this allowed conscripts to practice shooting so that in the event of a war they can kill Frenchmen better. And a lot of Germans at least owned a hunting rifle, especially in rural areas.

Today, the typical German family does not have guns. How was this accomplished? The Nazis feared an armed uprising and limited gun ownership. The basic core of this law is still used today and is one example of how enforcement and fines can reduce gun ownership rates.

I fail to see why the USA cannot enforce a law. In my opinion this is just a smokescreen to discourage people from actually attempting enforcement.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Aaron wrote:Well that's use Canada's as an example (purely because I am familiar with it). If you had to actually re-take the course (as opposed to challenging the test or mailing in a form), then that would be approximately ten hours of class room time with lectures and hands on practice plus the test. Is it sufficient? Eh, I'd say so, if a guy can't keep his mouth shut for an hour long class, he won't for a ten hour one.

It's also interesting to note that because I have PTSD and a history of alcoholism (now some five years past) that I will likely have to get my psychologist to say "good idea" or "bad idea" every five years when I renew. Is that a bad idea? I don't think so and it makes it harder to slip through the cracks. It's also worth noting that if I as a license holder am aware of someone who owns firearms and is unstable then I am obligated, legally to report it.
Personally, I'd be in favor of something like the system the FAA uses for pilots' licenses: you need at least a cursory physical exam to certify you're safe to operate the device in question, mandatory classroom time - your suggested 10 hours is fine - including any recent changes in laws, and requirement that you demonstrate that you can, actually, safely use the thing.

But I'm not going to hold my breath.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Thanas wrote:I think that a nation that has at least twenty-times as many shootings, 32 times as many murders (many committed with a gun) should really look into getting guns of the street.

Yes, I know it will be hard. But it certainly can be done and there is historical precedent. See Germany. Up until 1918 Germans loved weapons. The number of rifle clubs and hunting groups skyrocketed up until every village had a local gun festival every year etc. The basic idea was that this allowed conscripts to practice shooting so that in the event of a war they can kill Frenchmen better. And a lot of Germans at least owned a hunting rifle, especially in rural areas.

Today, the typical German family does not have guns. How was this accomplished? The Nazis feared an armed uprising and limited gun ownership. The basic core of this law is still used today and is one example of how enforcement and fines can reduce gun ownership rates.

I fail to see why the USA cannot enforce a law. In my opinion this is just a smokescreen to discourage people from actually attempting enforcement.
The obvious problem is that the second amendment means that enforcing any kind of law that limits or restricts gun ownership is going to be an uphill struggle. At this point the only way to fix that is to change or remove the amendment.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

General Zod wrote:The obvious problem is that the second amendment means that enforcing any kind of law that limits or restricts gun ownership is going to be an uphill struggle. At this point the only way to fix that is to change or remove the amendment.
Yes, at which point sheer stupidity founding father worship comes into play. Though one could theoretically argue that militia does not mean "private guns". Though honestly, it should happen. That law serves no purpose nowadays and it is not as if changing or removing an amendment is a totally unheard of thing. (Prohibition repeal, anybody?)

But of course it will never happen because the constitution is something holy and it must be protected at all costs. :roll:
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Thanas wrote: Yes, at which point sheer stupidity founding father worship comes into play. Though one could theoretically argue that militia does not mean "private guns". Though honestly, it should happen. That law serves no purpose nowadays and it is not as if changing or removing an amendment is a totally unheard of thing. (Prohibition repeal, anybody?)

But of course it will never happen because the constitution is something holy and it must be protected at all costs. :roll:
Unfortunately prohibition is the only amendment that's ever been successfully repealed. Considering the idiotic gun-culture in some states and the requirements for changing it abolishing the second is going to be nearly impossible.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sure, which is why you have to either take the plunge and hope the Supreme Court follows your arguments or take other measures. Tax them into oblivion or make the licensing process much harder.

I find it funny that you can get a gun much easier in the USA than you can get a Driver's license in Germany.
------------
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Thanas wrote:Today, the typical German family does not have guns. How was this accomplished? The Nazis feared an armed uprising and limited gun ownership. The basic core of this law is still used today and is one example of how enforcement and fines can reduce gun ownership rates.
No offense, Thanas, but while I can applaud the successful disarming of the German population and its resulting much lower rates of gun crime and accidents, I'm hoping we won't require the equivalent of Nazis and/or WWII to achieve similar goals in the US. :lol:
It's a problem with attitudes as much as anything else. Between Loughner's bizarre behavior and the laws on the books even in Arizona this shouldn't have happened. Pass all the laws and regulations you want, but until people want them enforced it won't do much if any good. It requires not new laws - which if enforced and utilized would have taken Loughner off the streets - but a new attitude. If people are not enforcing the current laws why do you assume they'll enforce any new ones passed?

The attitudes I'm referring to are several:
1) The idea - all too common among college students - that involuntary commitment to a psychiatric facility is somehow inherently wrong, punitive, terrible, whatever which is basically putting the rights of the crazy to act crazy ahead of the right of the rest of the community to be safe.

2) The idea that it's not the responsibility of a person or institution to report problems - I link this with the "snitches get stitches" meme but it's not just the fear of retaliation, it's elevating the concept of "freedom" to the point where people feel societal pressure to NOT get involved, not report crime, not report odd occurrences, and basically mind their own business to an extreme degree. It ignores the idea that having a potentially dangerous individual running around loose is, at bottom, everybody's business as it puts everyone at risk. If you're the person or institution responsible for having someone locked up as a danger to self or others you will NOT be thanked. There's even a reasonable chance you'll be sued later on by the individual in question or his/her family or whatever, which cycles us back to "snitches get stitches"

3) Credentialism - Arizona actually gets around this, as anyone can petition to have a court order a psychiatric evaluation for someone, but in many locations only certain authorities (police, psychiatrist, properly credentialed psychologist, relatives) can make that demand, meaning the community at large is helpless to act no matter how blatant the problem.

4) Gun worship - which is pursued to ridiculous lengths. The gun owners who are so fucking terrified that someone will take their guns away they resist any form of regulation, no matter how reasonable. And, from my experience Thanas, they often used Germany as an example against gun control, maintaining that if the populace had been allowed to retain guns the Nazis never would have succeed. I hasten to add I don't myself argue that, if for no other reason that I have no knowledge of German gun laws and how they fit in chronologically with the Nazis and WWII other than some vague notion that post WWI a lot of weapons were removed from German hands but, frankly, I don't even trust my knowledge of that. However, I hear it over and over and over that it was the [expletives deleted] Europeans taking away the guns from the good, honest people of Germany that let the Nazis rise to power, at which point the evil Nazis took away whatever guns were left, and it was gun-toting, gun-loving Americans who went in an kicked Nazi ass and saved the world. Again, that is not my view but it's thoroughly entrenched over here. Laws alone aren't going to overturn that sort of mythos.

5) Complete and utter distrust of the government - Americans are taught from an early age do not trust the government. The government ranges from cruel indifference to outright hostility towards the citizens. The government never helps, it only takes your money. No wonder so many flout the law here. It is my impression that Europeans in general trust their governments much more, and see governments as at least a potential means to right wrongs. Right now, the US thought process is almost invariably "the government will fuck it up worse". This does not in any way help the situation.

and finally, 6) In any sane system many of today's gun nuts would never be allowed to own weapons - which is exactly what they fear. Sure, there are a lot of solid, responsible citizens who can be trusted to own and operate firearms responsibly. Personally, I suspect a lot of them just don't buy guns, not seeing a need to personally own them (which is why I've never bought any myself - I don't have a pressing need for one and I'd rather spend my money on something else). More of a problem are nuts who already own guns and know, deep down, that if a sane and enforced system was put into place they'd lose their precious toys. They're fighting tooth and nail to prevent any sort of further regulation, and they include groups such as militia movements, separatists, various stripes of bigot, anti-government types, and folks that while they don't call themselves anarchists basically are exactly that.

Now, some of those factors might also be at play elsewhere - I don't know. Those just what I see as factors here in the US that either prevent passage of sane gun laws, or, where laws are passed, result in the population ignoring them. As an example from a different area - the pile of anti-corruption, anti-bribery, and anti-conflict of interest laws on the books in Chicago have done exactly jack shit to eliminate the epic and world-famous levels of corruption in that city. It's not enough to change the law, and the approach of passing more and more restrictive laws won't necessarily eliminate a problem. I'm not opposed to crafting new laws, but there must be both a will to enforce those laws and a means to do so - neither of which exists in today's political climate in the US.