Frat boy Navy captain gets relieved

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Frat boy Navy captain gets relieved

Post by Cecelia5578 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/us/05 ... ss&emc=rss
WASHINGTON — A series of coarse and sexually explicit videos produced several years ago and shown to the crew of a Navy aircraft carrier by an officer who is now the ship’s captain will cost the officer his command, a Pentagon official said on Tuesday.
Related

The videos were broadcast to crew members on the aircraft carrier Enterprise via closed-circuit television in 2006 and 2007.

The official said that the officer, Capt. Owen Honors, is expected to be relieved of duty Tuesday afternoon, some two weeks before the carrier, the Enterprise, leaves its home port at Norfolk, Va., this month to support combat missions in Afghanistan.

The videos, which include scenes of simulated masturbation, simulated eating of feces and two men as well as two women showering together, were made by Captain Honors and shown as entertainment to some 6,000 sailors and Marines aboard the Enterprise in 2006 and 2007. The videos, which also include slurs against gay men, were disclosed over the weekend by a Norfolk newspaper, The Virginian-Pilot.

The Navy said on Sunday that the videos were “clearly inappropriate” and that it was investigating the circumstances surrounding their production. Naval officials said that although the investigation might not be completed before the Enterprise headed to the Arabian Sea this month, Captain Honors could be relieved while the inquiry was under way.

Captain Honors, who was the ship’s executive officer and second in command when he made and starred in the videos, declined a request for comment on Monday. He was promoted to the ship’s commanding officer in May.

Navy officials had no explanation for why the videos shown on the ship’s closed-circuit television surfaced publicly after several years, or why no officers on the Enterprise apparently raised questions about them when they were made and shown. The Virginian-Pilot said one crew member mailed a complaint about the videos to the Navy inspector general last week, and quoted other crew members who said they were ignored when they objected to the videos at the time they were shown.

The Virginian-Pilot also quoted a female sailor who said that she and a number of other women were offended by the videos, a view Captain Honors acknowledged on camera.

“Over the years, I’ve gotten several complaints about inappropriate materials in these videos, never to me personally but, gutlessly, through other channels,” Captain Honors said in one video. He went on to use a derogatory term for gay men and to say, “Why don’t you just go ahead and hug yourselves for the next 20 minutes or so, because there’s a really good chance you’re going to be offended.”

On Monday a leading military gay rights group denounced the captain. “Capt. Owen Honors was acting more like the president of a frat house rather than the executive officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise,” Aubrey Sarvis, an Army veteran and the executive director of the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, said in a statement.

The videos of the men and women showering together show no nudity; they are shot from the shoulders up in the case of the women and from the waist up in the case of the men.

Comic in-house videos are popular as morale boosters in the Navy as well as in the other branches of the armed services, but military officials said Captain Honors’s efforts were an extreme case.

By Monday evening, however, more than 1,700 people, including many former Enterprise crew members, had clicked “like” at a Facebook page supporting Captain Honors. The typical comment was that the videos were not only morale boosters but also funny and that the news media were overreacting.

“Honors was a great commander and those videos were in no way offensive to anybody that I knew on that ship,” wrote Ryan Mconnell, who said he was on board the Enterprise in 2006 and 2007. “I stand behind him 100 percent and I actually looked forward to his videos every week.”
What was this guy thinking? It seems like it was only a matter of time till he got caught.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Big Phil
BANNED

Re: Frat boy Navy captain gets relieved

Post by Big Phil »

He was trying to entertain the crew, or are you seriously suggesting that he was publicly using gay slurs on purpose?

This is bullshit - either he should have been disciplined at the time, or this should have been left alone. Other than inappropriate use of fratboy humor, there's no evidence that Captain Honors is incompetent, racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise unfit for command. Relieving him of his command today is just political cover your ass bullshit.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Cecelia5578 wrote:What was this guy thinking? It seems like it was only a matter of time till he got caught.
He was thinking about trying to raise crew morale, have some fun, appear more approachable to the crew, and basically try to make life on the boat less miserable. What he didn't remember is that all it takes is one easily butt hurt thin-skinned bitch to screw his career and undo any of his efforts to lift the crew's spirits. Hope the douche that dropped the dime on him get's a blanket party.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Because he couldn't entertain the crew without using homophobic slurs, am I right?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Flagg wrote:Because he couldn't entertain the crew without using homophobic slurs, am I right?
Well, I guess we should write NBC and tell them to make SNL stop with the gay jokes. Oh, while we're at it we need to let every stand up comic know as well. I guess this means no poking fun at race issues either, or the handicapped, or any group that might have individuals that can't tell the difference between humor and actual discrimination...

Seriously, the guy was trying to do something to make his crew less miserable and he's getting fucked for it because of a handful of humorless dickheads.

Edit: While i'm at it, couldn't we ask the same of you about your gay cats post on your blog there, Flagg? Pot called, he says you're black, mkay.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Flagg wrote:Because he couldn't entertain the crew without using homophobic slurs, am I right?
Well, I guess we should write NBC and tell them to make SNL stop with the gay jokes. Oh, while we're at it we need to let every stand up comic know as well. I guess this means no poking fun at race issues either, or the handicapped, or any group that might have individuals that can't tell the difference between humor and actual discrimination...

Seriously, the guy was trying to do something to make his crew less miserable and he's getting fucked for it because of a handful of humorless dickheads.

Edit: While i'm at it, couldn't we ask the same of you about your gay cats post on your blog there, Flagg? Pot called, he says you're black, mkay.
No, he's getting fucked because he insulted homosexuals, some of which undoubtedly make up his crew. And when I'm the commander of an Aircraft Carrier you can fire me for making gay cat jokes.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Flagg wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:No, he's getting fucked because he insulted homosexuals, some of which undoubtedly make up his crew. And when I'm the commander of an Aircraft Carrier you can fire me for making gay cat jokes.
YouTube already has the full episodes of the show up. Other than saying "fag", I'm not actually seeing anything here the the majority of this board wouldn't laugh at. Also, my point with your gay cat jokes thing is, you make gay jokes yourself, Flagg. So criticizing someone else for it just makes you look like an even bigger douche than normal. Jesus, I've seen more offensive shit on SNL. I've seen more offensive shit out of prime time sit coms. (minus the liberal use of the word "fuck"). So yeah, I really think this is a case of a handful of people getting butthurt over, well, not a goddamned thing. The funny part is the guy made the videos a couple of years ago when he was the XO, the Navy actually defended him for a time, even gave him command of a fucking aircraft carrier and just now they're suddenly reversing themselves. So I can't help but think this really just is a big CYA job.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

And if the guy was on SNL no one would care. But the fact is that he is the captain of the USS Enterprise and he insulted homosexuals, which certainly make up a portion of his crew (and will even moreso in the future) and for that he gets the pink slip. The Navy may have fucked up in defending him originally, but since then they have come under pressure from people who don't find homophobic shit amusing so they changed their minds.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Flagg wrote:And if the guy was on SNL no one would care. But the fact is that he is the captain of the USS Enterprise and he insulted homosexuals, which certainly make up a portion of his crew (and will even moreso in the future) and for that he gets the pink slip. The Navy may have fucked up in defending him originally, but since then they have come under pressure from people who don't find homophobic shit amusing so they changed their minds.
No, you illiterate chucklhead, he was the XO when he made the vids, two years or more ago, the Navy shrugged at it, turned around and made him the Captain of the ENterprise, and now they're reversing themselves because some incredibly thin skinned dicks complained. Seriously, how do you explain that he made these supposedly massively offensive videos and then got a fucking promotion, and after he's been promoted someone says "oh, wait, we changed our minds"? Oh, right, whiny assholes that can't tell the difference between humor and discrimination.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Flagg wrote:And if the guy was on SNL no one would care. But the fact is that he is the captain of the USS Enterprise and he insulted homosexuals, which certainly make up a portion of his crew (and will even moreso in the future) and for that he gets the pink slip. The Navy may have fucked up in defending him originally, but since then they have come under pressure from people who don't find homophobic shit amusing so they changed their minds.
Let's say the video, rather than using the word "fag," instead made fun of the Marines aboard Enterprise by constantly referring to them as Jarheads. Should that result in his removal from command, since he insulted a portion of his crew? What if he made fun of the engineers by referring to them "glowing in the dark?" Should that result in his removal from command? Or is it just homosexuals that you want to protect from this dangerous menace to society?

Another thing, can you please specify exactly which laws or regulations he broke by making this video. What did he do, specifically (according to the UCMJ), that should result in him being removed from duty?
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I agree with Flagg, government officials, especially military leaders should not be allowed being openly bigoted against minorities within their crew. I also don't think that the crewmembers of the Enterprise were starved for sexist and homophobic entertainment, so it's not like he had no choice when it came to bring a bright spot into their "miserable lives".
SancheztheWhaler wrote:Should that result in his removal from command, since he insulted a portion of his crew? What if he made fun of the engineers by referring to them "glowing in the dark?" Should that result in his removal from command? Or is it just homosexuals that you want to protect from this dangerous menace to society?
Unless you think homosexuality is a choice, I don't see how this is comparable.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:
Let's say the video, rather than using the word "fag," instead made fun of the Marines aboard Enterprise by constantly referring to them as Jarheads. Should that result in his removal from command, since he insulted a portion of his crew? What if he made fun of the engineers by referring to them "glowing in the dark?" Should that result in his removal from command? Or is it just homosexuals that you want to protect from this dangerous menace to society?
What if he made fun of the blacks by calling them niggers? Oh wait, that would be using a discriminatory epithet, like the word fag.
Another thing, can you please specify exactly which laws or regulations he broke by making this video. What did he do, specifically (according to the UCMJ), that should result in him being removed from duty?
Why? I've made no claim that he violated the UCMJ, nor will I because I don't know the specifics of what it entails. And furthermore, to my knowledge he was simply relieved from command, and isn't facing any formal charges.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Metahive wrote:I agree with Flagg, government officials, especially military leaders should not be allowed being openly bigoted against minorities within their crew.
Wait, so just saying a word makes you a bigot now? So despite that he was obviously joking and doesn't have any demonstrable history of being a homophobe at all, he's a bigot... Really? How about before you label the man a bigot you actually show some evidence of it. Making a gay joke doesn't make you a bigot, it just means you have a fairly tasteless sense of humor.

Flagg wrote:What if he made fun of the blacks by calling them niggers? Oh wait, that would be using a discriminatory epithet, like the word fag.
Well fuck, in that case I guess we need to pull Mel Brook's "Blazzing Saddles" off the fucking shelves post haste because they say "nigger" a fuckload in that flick.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

I'm not disagreeing that he should be punished... I'm disagreeing with the four year lag, and I also question whether the punishment fits the crime. I also question whether using derogatory humor should be considered as bad as actually acting on sexist/racist/homophobic feelings.

In particular, I have an issue with people immediately leaping to "END HIS CAREER!!! RAAR!!!" because he dared to utter the word "fag." That's just as bad as the idiotic zero tolerance bullshit kids and parents deal with in schools today. The punishment should really fit the crime, and the punishment in this case seems wildly out of balance with the "crime."
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Mr Coffee wrote:Wait, so just saying a word makes you a bigot now? So despite that he was obviously joking and doesn't have any demonstrable history of being a homophobe at all, he's a bigot... Really? How about before you label the man a bigot you actually show some evidence of it. Making a gay joke doesn't make you a bigot, it just means you have a fairly tasteless sense of humor.
Yes, casually throwing racial/sexist/homophobic slurs around is bigoted, since expressing bigotry is the sole reason why they came into being in the first place and why they still continue to exist. Unless Captain Honors grew up under a rock, he should have known that as well.
Heck, on this board it's even an instabannable offense to use such slurs in an unironic manner.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Flagg wrote:What if he made fun of the blacks by calling them niggers? Oh wait, that would be using a discriminatory epithet, like the word fag.
Well fuck, in that case I guess we need to pull Mel Brook's "Blazzing Saddles" off the fucking shelves post haste because they say "nigger" a fuckload in that flick.
Christ you're dense. Seriously slow up on the weed, man. The difference here is that Mel Brooks is a comedian, not the commander of an aircraft carrier.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Metahive wrote:Yes, casually throwing racial/sexist/homophobic slurs around is bigoted, since expressing bigotry is the sole reason why they came into being in the first place and why they still continue to exist. Unless Captain Honors grew up under a rock, he should have known that as well.
So it doesn't matter what the context is, or the actual intent, it's the word itself that makes one a bigot is what you're saying. By your retard logic, using my previous example of Blazing Saddles, Mel Brooks is a massive racist because helped pen the script, directed, starred in, and helped produce a movie filled with people saying "nigger".

Metahive wrote:Heck, on this board it's even an instabannable offense to use such slurs in an unironic manner.
Wait, so now you're saying it's ok to use homophobic/racist slurs as long as it's said "ironically"?

P.S. You're wrong by the way. Go ahead and say "fag" ironically I and I'll bet you money Hipper will ironically ban your ass for it. I've seen people try that and get banned for it before.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Flagg wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:
Christ you're dense. Seriously slow up on the weed, man. The difference here is that Mel Brooks is a comedian, not the commander of an aircraft carrier.
That's a bullshit distinction and you know it, Flagg. Seriously, by your standards anyone who is not a comedian that's ever told a gay joke is now a homophobe (which means you're one too). So to you there is no distinction between humor and actual discrimination, it's all about what you're profession is?

Seriously, I think the constant blood loss from your ass is starving your fucking brain of oxygen.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Mr Coffee wrote:So it doesn't matter what the context is, or the actual intent, it's the word itself that makes one a bigot is what you're saying. By your retard logic, using my previous example of Blazing Saddles, Mel Brooks is a massive racist because helped pen the script, directed, starred in, and helped produce a movie filled with people saying "nigger".
Captain Honors has now enough time to pick up his new career as a slur-flinging standup to undoubtly entertain countless generations of navy crewmen. Isn't that great?

Wait, so now you're saying it's ok to use homophobic/racist slurs as long as it's said "ironically"?

P.S. You're wrong by the way. Go ahead and say "fag" ironically I and I'll bet you money Hipper will ironically ban your ass for it. I've seen people try that and get banned for it before.
You're not helping your case by showing that those slurs are subjected to even more restriction here.

Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Metahive wrote:
Mr Coffee wrote:Wait, so just saying a word makes you a bigot now? So despite that he was obviously joking and doesn't have any demonstrable history of being a homophobe at all, he's a bigot... Really? How about before you label the man a bigot you actually show some evidence of it. Making a gay joke doesn't make you a bigot, it just means you have a fairly tasteless sense of humor.
Yes, casually throwing racial/sexist/homophobic slurs around is bigoted, since expressing bigotry is the sole reason why they came into being in the first place and why they still continue to exist. Unless Captain Honors grew up under a rock, he should have known that as well.
Heck, on this board it's even an instabannable offense to use such slurs in an unironic manner.

Bullshit - I throw around Hispanic jokes all the damned time. I'm Hispanic. How the fuck can I be bigoted against myself?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Metahive wrote:Captain Honors has now enough time to pick up his new career as a slur-flinging standup to undoubtly entertain countless generations of navy crewmen. Isn't that great?
Yeah, guy's getting his career ruined because the Navy wants to play CYA two years and a promotion after the fact. Still doesn't change that your reasoning is that's ok for Comedians to say homophobic and racist slurs, but anyone else does it and they're a bigot regardless of context.

Metahive wrote:You're not helping your case by showing that those slurs are subjected to even more restriction here.
Yeah, go ahead and dance away from acknowledging that your "it's ok if it's ironic/you're a comedian" reasoning is fucking retarded.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:Bullshit - I throw around Hispanic jokes all the damned time. I'm Hispanic. How the fuck can I be bigoted against myself?
Do you readily accept anti-hispanic slurs from people outside your ethnicity as well? I can tell I won't be friends with people who casually throw "gook" and other such epithets around. That includes other Asians BTW, because I find "N-Word privilege" to be dumb as shit a concept.
Mr Coffee wrote:Yeah, guy's getting his career ruined because the Navy wants to play CYA two years and a promotion after the fact. Still doesn't change that your reasoning is that's ok for Comedians to say homophobic and racist slurs, but anyone else does it and they're a bigot regardless of context.
Boohoo, people in the official employ of the government have to abide by stricter standards of decency than comedians! Cry me the fucking Wolga River.
Yeah, go ahead and dance away from acknowledging that your "it's ok if it's ironic/you're a comedian" reasoning is fucking retarded.
It's not OK, but Comedians are not paid and provided for by the government! Yes, keep ignoring that rather big difference.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Mr. Coffee wrote: That's a bullshit distinction and you know it, Flagg. Seriously, by your standards anyone who is not a comedian that's ever told a gay joke is now a homophobe (which means you're one too). So to you there is no distinction between humor and actual discrimination, it's all about what you're profession is?

Seriously, I think the constant blood loss from your ass is starving your fucking brain of oxygen.

Did I ever call this guy a homophobe? I don't know if he is or isn't, all I know is that he used homophobic slurs.

I've made homophobic jokes, racist jokes, and all other manner of offensive as shit jokes over the years. The difference? I'm just some douchebag on the internet, he's the commander of a nuclear aircraft carrier with thousands of crewman serving under him.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Metahive wrote:Captain Honors has now enough time to pick up his new career as a slur-flinging standup to undoubtly entertain countless generations of navy crewmen. Isn't that great?
Yeah, guy's getting his career ruined because the Navy wants to play CYA two years and a promotion after the fact. Still doesn't change that your reasoning is that's ok for Comedians to say homophobic and racist slurs, but anyone else does it and they're a bigot regardless of context.
First of all, comedians are not to be taken seriously. I think the noun 'comedian' seemed to have been lost on you. Second of all, they are not second in command nor now (formerly) in command of one of the aircraft carriers of the USN regardless of context. Whether it was a joke or not, he was an officer with responsibilities to the ship and for the whole crew.

As to the article, it'd be pretty damning if this is true:
The Virginian-Pilot said one crew member mailed a complaint about the videos to the Navy inspector general last week, and quoted other crew members who said they were ignored when they objected to the videos at the time they were shown.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Actually Coffee, it looks (and sounds) like the complaints weren't taken seriously till recently:
Navy officials had no explanation for why the videos shown on the ship’s closed-circuit television surfaced publicly after several years, or why no officers on the Enterprise apparently raised questions about them when they were made and shown. The Virginian-Pilot said one crew member mailed a complaint about the videos to the Navy inspector general last week, and quoted other crew members who said they were ignored when they objected to the videos at the time they were shown.
So it's likely no one cared enough to do something about it until now.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.