UPDATE: Feb 2009 "Continental" Flight 3407 Buffalo Crash

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

UPDATE: Feb 2009 "Continental" Flight 3407 Buffalo Crash

Post by Broomstick »

"Continental" is in quotes because, despite selling the ticket and putting their name on the route, the airplane, flight, and employees were all from Colgan Air, a small US regional airline.

The initial thread on this crash, which was almost a year ago, is here

Wikipedia, although not perfect, has a reasonable and very readable summary of the accident here including the gyrations the aircraft went through prior to impact. Definitely "brown alert" level of abnormal stuff.

PBS Frontline aired a show tonight on this particular airplane crash which was pretty damn negative - but also probably reasonably accurate in many areas. The entire show can supposedly be watched on line here. Some of the points they bring up are pretty damning, like low pay and fatigue although in many ways this flight was a worse-case scenario of many factors coming together.

Supposedly, the NTSB has issued a final report but I'm tired and my Google-fu weak so I can not find it on line right now.

However, my take on this is the captain fucked up a stall recovery. Which blows my mind, really. Some people believe the captain thought he was in a tail stall, in which case what he did makes more sense, but still... seems very odd to me.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice